Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: jetta axle removal question

1. 07-24-2007 03:16 PM #1
      okay, i read this write up about removing your axles in the diy section, and it says I need this....
      , but from this pic, it looks just like allen bolts, anyone know for sure before I buy a set of triple square 12 pt bolt removers?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GLI
      07-25-2007 03:29 PM #2
      I just finished installing the right side axle on my Jetta and I had to use the 12mm triple square bit to remove the bolts from the transmission flange. The axle I bought came with new bolts and they were the 12mm ts also. I read the same instructions that you have read and it stated the I would need a 8mm hex bit to remove the bolts that was incorrect in my case. BTW, what brand axle are you replacing it with.

Vehicles
      2001 Mojave GTI GLX
      07-25-2007 03:37 PM #3
      The photo you posted is of a raxle, I believe. They use Nordlock locking plates and allen head bolts to replace your stock 12-point bolts.

You need the 12-point bit. You only need the allen bit if you're installing a raxle or another axle with different bolts. (and Raxles actually come with the bit needed!)

"Turning right in fifth gear from the left hand lane into the wrong end of a one-way street while indicating left, if at all."
      All the custom, none of the cool.
      "Trying to be the cool kid is so cool." - MkIV Scene

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GLI
      07-25-2007 03:40 PM #4
      I stock axle had the 12mm 12-point bolts and the Raxle that I replaced it with came with the 12mm 12-point bolts and the bit for them.

Vehicles
      2001 Mojave GTI GLX
      07-25-2007 03:43 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by FlyC »
      I stock axle had the 12mm 12-point bolts and the Raxle that I replaced it with came with the 12mm 12-point bolts and the bit for them.

How long ago did you replace it with a raxle? Both of my raxle axles came with the Nordlock system with allen head bolts. I bought one axle 2 years ago and another a year ago.

"Turning right in fifth gear from the left hand lane into the wrong end of a one-way street while indicating left, if at all."

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GLI
      07-25-2007 04:36 PM #6
      I just replaced my right side last Friday night. That's why the info is so fresh in my mind. My raxle also came with the nordlock system, but it also had the 12mm 12pt bolts. I have the 24v VR6 with O2M trans, what engine/trans do you have?

Vehicles
      2001 Mojave GTI GLX
      07-25-2007 04:37 PM #7
      I just replaced my right side last Friday night. That's why the info is so fresh in my mind. My raxle also came with the nordlock system, but it also had the 12mm 12pt bolts. I have the 24v VR6 with O2M trans, what engine/trans do you have?

12V with 5speed

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GLI
      07-25-2007 04:38 PM #8
      I don't know if it makes any difference that I have the 6spd, but I had the 12pt on the stocker and the raxle.

Vehicles
      2001 Mojave GTI GLX
      07-25-2007 04:41 PM #9
      I don't know if it makes any difference that I have the 6spd, but I had the 12pt on the stocker and the raxle.

Odd.

Well in any case for the OP's question, he just needs the 12 point bit.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GLI
      07-25-2007 04:46 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by dremhmrk2 »

Odd.

Well in any case for the OP's question, he just needs the 12 point bit.

Yep. I bought the exact same package that is in the picture at carquest for ~$13.

BTW. I just talked with Marty/Raxles today about a discrepancy in the install instructions online. The online instructions state to torque the trans bolts to 50ft/lbs. and the nordlock doco states that they should be torqued to 59ft/lbs., Marty confirmed that it should be 59ft/lbs. and he will be changing the online instructions soon.

Good luck with the axle replacement. I would suggest getting a bearing puller tool to push the axle out of the wheel bearing, it will make it much easier.

Vehicles
      2001 Mojave GTI GLX
      07-25-2007 05:04 PM #11

Good luck with the axle replacement. I would suggest getting a bearing puller tool to push the axle out of the wheel bearing, it will make it much easier.

Punch and hammer did the trick

12. 07-26-2007 08:43 PM #12
      I'm acutally not replacing my axle, just my cv joint boot. Also, do I need to replace the 12 pt bolts? It says to in the Bentley. but then again, it always says to on almost everything in there.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GLI
      07-27-2007 07:03 PM #13
      I would. It's cheap insurance.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      04 A4 USP, 02 GTI, 04 S80
      07-27-2007 07:14 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by pa2play »
      I'm acutally not replacing my axle, just my cv joint boot. Also, do I need to replace the 12 pt bolts? It says to in the Bentley. but then again, it always says to on almost everything in there.

i would, someone correct me if im wrong but arent they stretch bolts? and should be replaced.

1.8T A4 mmmm

15. 07-27-2007 08:04 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by pa2play »

YES!! Chances are, you will wear out the head of the bolt( at least a couple bolts) trying to remove them. Also, a bolt loses its torque value, so it COULD come loose on you. I think they are about $2 EA. From the dealer, IIRC! I always replace hardware. Yes, it can get pricey, but like the person said above, cheap insurance!!