Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterfest 13: Event Report, Plus 1400+ Pics

1. 07-26-2007 04:40 PM #1

Has Waterfest become too commercial? That’s one question that was posed to us as we sat atop the grandstands at Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ and looked out over the kingdom organizers of America’s largest VW and Audi enthusiast show have created - to the right, a large show field, to the left a burgeoning exhibition field, and in the center… one of the largest vendor areas Waterfest or any VW or Audi owner has ever seen. Now in its thirteenth year, Waterfest has grown from underground enthusiast event to major industry gathering, where bumping into Alex Roy and his Gumball 3000 Team Polizei group in their antenna and sticker-laden BMW M5 reminds us just how discovered this show has become.
      Full Story

2. 07-26-2007 04:56 PM #2
      I knew someone else had to like that picture....
      Thanks.
      www.CustomObsessions.com
      IG @CustomObsessions

Silly Rabbit 16vT 500whp with more to go...
      Software available from APR, Malone, Eurodyne, and United Motorsport

Vehicles
      2012, VW, Golf Highline TDI; 2001, VW, Golf 2.0
      07-26-2007 05:21 PM #3
      Nice write up
      This was my second Waterfest. Had a great time both times. I agree that it is a very commercial show, with regard to the number of venders, that in itself is a big draw to me. Coming from Canada it's a great way to pick up some things that aren't easily availible to us in Canada. Or would be too expensive to ship across the boarder.
      Great show and a great time in NJ this year. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

07-26-2007 05:23 PM #4
      sure looks like its changed since i was there in 97... mebbe i should go again someday
      2010 328i xDrive Touring

5. 07-26-2007 06:03 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by opening line from the write up »
      Has Waterfest become too commercial?

..and we have ads on each photo. All of them. How ironic!

Modified by 602crew at 6:05 PM 7-26-2007

6. Banned
      07-26-2007 06:09 PM #6
      Manatee fenders.

Vehicles
      1986 Golf VR6 | 2004 Yamaha R1 | 2012 Golf R
      07-26-2007 06:37 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by 602crew »

I saw this car. It's really beautiful in real life.
      ------
      Check out my Volkswagen Road Trip! (www.YouTube.com/user/ianNeumeyer)
      From TTAC comments; --> jrosevear - "But how many brands can VW really manage?" qfrog - "I think VW has that number estimated at somewhere between most and all of them."

Vehicles
      `92 Corrado (Green)/`92 Corrado (Black)/`92 GTI 8v
      07-26-2007 07:20 PM #8
      Wasn't there a build thread for that TDI Corrado here in the C forum? I wonder if I could build one for biodiesel? No need to stop having fun just because the oil's running out.

Vehicles
      Gangste.:R
      07-26-2007 07:56 PM #9
      Not a single pic of my car and it was in the Vortex Booth all weekend

10. Former Advertiser
      07-26-2007 08:08 PM #10
      HOLY pictures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. 07-26-2007 08:49 PM #11
      was there any photos on either a stock MK1 Scirocco or modified MK1 Scirocco? I went through like 1400 pics, and didn't see one. Is it possible?

Vehicles
      TDI Corrado, Honda Refrig (Pilot) & 9N MKoh
      07-26-2007 08:59 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by friedgreencorrado »
      Wasn't there a build thread for that TDI Corrado here in the C forum? I wonder if I could build one for biodiesel? No need to stop having fun just because the oil's running out.

yes click on the sig.
      Thanks for including my car in the pics

Vehicles
      2004 Ultrasport Avant 6MTQ
      07-26-2007 09:32 PM #13
      4 pics of my car [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Thanks Guys!

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.9 16V Lysholm, '06 Passat 2.0T, '07 Passat Variant 2.0T, and ghosts of misc '75s...
      07-26-2007 10:28 PM #14
      The silver TDI Corrado is one of my all-time favorite Corrados.
      Might be my favorite! Very nice...worthy of all the praise! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      "Sense is something you can't even make sense of until you've been to the future, and spent time there..."

15. 07-26-2007 11:28 PM #15
      5 pics of my car, and I couldn't find em anywhere else - thanks!

Vehicles
      07 silverado, 07 denali xl, 07 peterbilt 386
      07-26-2007 11:43 PM #16
      Hey look, my old engine!!!

Rather fancy box she rides in [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Looking for a coupe....cheap but clean and workable

07-27-2007 03:59 AM #17

LOL, Seriously.
      -jarredK

Vehicles
      '01.5 b5 a4; '09 outback sport
      07-27-2007 09:44 AM #18
      great write up and photos [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by kish0000 at 6:50 AM 7-27-2007

19. 07-27-2007 12:12 PM #19
      Well, I hope they didn't pay George Achorn for this coverage. His report could have been written by an elementary school child and the child would have had it published Monday morning. The premise that somehow Waterfest may have become to commercial while branding every picture in his report is simply laughable. I believe it is the pot calling the kettle black.
      As far as the event coverage goes I believe George must have been on a restricted badge that did not let him go everywhere because he missed half the stuff going on there and or barely mentioned it.
      This review probably won't help my user rating, but come on guys. If you are going to cover an event cover all of it, or one day you will wake up and some new VW forum will have stolen your audience, and maybe even your advertisers.
      EDIT: I could not find it in myself to remove this review because i really want racing and the other parts of Waterfest to be represented by the enthusiast sites and magazines out there, but upon further review my words about George and his writing ability are out of line. He did his level best from what I have learned and i only hope they will do better in the future.

Modified by VariantStg3 at 4:31 PM 7-28-2007

20. 07-27-2007 02:06 PM #20
      Great pics. I love that red MKV with the blackened tails and blackened silver BBS CH's. One of the nicest GTi's I have seen. Anyone know what body kit that is?

21. 07-27-2007 02:16 PM #21

Modified by 602crew at 6:05 PM 7-26-2007

If you read the article, I'm clearly saying that Waterfest and the entire industry (Vortex included) has changed. I still don't see it as a bad thing. There's room for it, and that's why just one year into MkV cars, there's so much more available.
      I own an Audi 4000 quattro that I'm restoring and finding parts for that car is much like what Mk1 folks once had to deal with. Hard to find, hard to get if you do find them. Thanks to the growth, there's plenty for MK1 cars in comparison.

22. 07-27-2007 02:17 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by .:Rudeboy »
      Not a single pic of my car and it was in the Vortex Booth all weekend

That's my mistake. It's in the booth shots, but there were folks all around it when I went to shoot it the first time. I forgot to go back and get stand alones.

23. 07-27-2007 02:19 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by ANCIENT »
      was there any photos on either a stock MK1 Scirocco or modified MK1 Scirocco? I went through like 1400 pics, and didn't see one. Is it possible?

I was the only one shooting this year. I walked the entire vendor, show and exhibition fields both days, but I still missed stuff. I don't remember seeing one though.
      For me, also shooting for Fourtitude, I was bummed when I saw a white RS 4 on white/black rims an aisle over in the exhibition field and it left by the time I made it around to the next row. I'm sure that wasn't the only car that eluded me.

24. 07-27-2007 02:28 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by George@VWvortex »
      I was the only one shooting this year. I walked the entire vendor, show and exhibition fields both days, but I still missed stuff. I don't remember seeing one though.
      For me, also shooting for Fourtitude, I was bummed when I saw a white RS 4 on white/black rims an aisle over in the exhibition field and it left by the time I made it around to the next row. I'm sure that wasn't the only car that eluded me.

Great work on the shots... you got waay more pics then I would have expected. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      www.CustomObsessions.com
      IG @CustomObsessions

Silly Rabbit 16vT 500whp with more to go...
      Software available from APR, Malone, Eurodyne, and United Motorsport

25. 07-27-2007 02:39 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by VariantStg3 »
      Well, I hope they didn't pay George Achorn for this coverage. His report could have been written by an elementary school child and the child would have had it published Monday morning. The premise that somehow Waterfest may have become to commercial while branding every picture in his report is simply laughable. I believe it is the pot calling the kettle black.
      As far as the event coverage goes I believe George must have been on a restricted badge that did not let him go everywhere because he missed half the stuff going on there and or barely mentioned it.
      This review probably won't help my user rating, but come on guys. If you are going to cover an event cover all of it, or one day you will wake up and some new VW forum will have stolen your audience, and maybe even your advertisers.

Ouch. Can't please all of the people all of the time.
      Re-read the article dude. I said it has become more commercial and that wasn't a bad thing. The whole premise of the article came from a conversation I had with another guy who does work for some print mags. He said one of the pubs out there (won't name them) was passing on WF coverage because it had become too commercial. I'll agree the whole thing is more polished and "discovered", but again, I DON'T think that's a bad thing.
      This was NOT our first instance of show coverage sponsorship and that advertising helps us pay our hosting bills that we don't charge our readers for. Our hosting bills are several times my mortgage thanks to the high degree of readership, so pardon me if I don't feel bad if we make money on this venture.
      BTW, I challenge you to walk the show over two days, work our both and shoot 1600+ photos (the total before I weeded them out), and then make sure you don't miss one of the gazillion things going on at an event of this size. Ease up there man. There's only so much that can be done in a day (or two).
      Care to share what you think I missed out on? I'd love to hear what I missed, as I'm sure there's quite a bit.

Vehicles
      07-27-2007 02:49 PM #26
      yeah, seriously. Lets see the pictures you took smart guy

27. Member
      Vehicles
      1988 Jetta GLI swapped; 2011 Jetta SE
      07-27-2007 03:01 PM #27
      yeah, seriously, guy.....it was a great show, a beautiful day, more gorgeous cars in one place that we've ever seen before, and to top it off, George had coverage including 1000+ pics posted up on vortex within 2 days following...........you'll wait weeks for PVW or EC mags or any of the other ones to publish something......chill.

28. 07-27-2007 03:20 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by George@VWvortex »
      Care to share what you think I missed out on? I'd love to hear what I missed, as I'm sure there's quite a bit.

Saw NO pics of Autocrossing, nor anymore than a part of a sentence about it. Also with Drag racing, You did an awesome job at taking pics of cars, no doubt, but if your there to cover the WHOLE Event and work the booth, well for me you missed the parts I think balance the show.
      ...and for your fan club, I was not there as a photographer, I was there participating and had a blast of a time. Might even make the 18 hour cruise again next year.
      Now to be fair if there is pictorial coverage of the 9 second Corrado and some of the new cars in action on the auto cross course, let me be the first to apologize. No have time to search for burnout contest pics but I don't recall those photos...

29. 07-27-2007 03:22 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by jarrodsdream »
      including 1000+ pics posted up on vortex within 2 days following...........

OK I must be missing somthing. 1000+ pics posted, where? I saw the gallery. Didn't add up to 1000+
      Edited: It did add up to 1400 something, so you got me there.

Modified by VariantStg3 at 3:33 PM 7-27-2007

Vehicles
      TDI Corrado, Honda Refrig (Pilot) & 9N MKoh
      07-27-2007 03:47 PM #30
      I know its very tough to take in all aspects of the show. Before Waterfest went to Englishtown I used to sell corrado parts in the swap meet area and I never got to enjoy the show. Now I like to go there and drag race and even still I have to make a mental note to go walk the vender area, swapmeet, exibition parking lot (thats where all the good cars are) and then I usually ask somebody what mk2s and mk3s are the most interesting before I run back to bracket racing.
      I only got to the autox the first year at E-Town when it was a 1 day event with autoX on Sat.
      Its tough to catch all the activity.

31. 07-27-2007 03:56 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by G60ING »
      I know its very tough to take in all aspects of the show. Before Waterfest went to Englishtown I used to sell corrado parts in the swap meet area and I never got to enjoy the show. Now I like to go there and drag race and even still I have to make a mental note to go walk the vender area, swapmeet, exibition parking lot (thats where all the good cars are) and then I usually ask somebody what mk2s and mk3s are the most interesting before I run back to bracket racing.
      I only got to the autox the first year at E-Town when it was a 1 day event with autoX on Sat.
      Its tough to catch all the activity.

I agree and I missed much of what he covered, but to me, many will miss witnin his coverage that there was more than a car show going on. Weather everyone likes it or not Waterfest is the biggest show-N-GO during the summer and the added activities seem to always get treated with no respect. His coverage just magnified that assumption in my mind.

Vehicles
      07-27-2007 04:22 PM #32
      respect?
      How the F are you gonna do autocross and drag racing "respect" with a still camera.

Vehicles
      saloon/specialized
      07-27-2007 04:28 PM #33
      if hes the only person covering the show for vortex its alot easier for him to walk around the show lot, vendor area and exhibition while snapping pics than standing in the stands taking pics of the drag racing. much more time consuming to take pics of the racing in case someone breaks and holds up the racing.
      i think you are expecting alot more out of his coverage than he couldve delivered. i think that vortex couldve had more people covering the show given its size but you cant demand that. it is very hard for someone to hit up all the aspects of the show, let alone provide photo coverage worth posting on a site

34. 07-27-2007 04:29 PM #34
      Quote, originally posted by dubenvy »
      respect?
      How the F are you gonna do autocross and drag racing "respect" with a still camera.

You could use the different settings on the camera to make the pictures more dynamic. F-stop/Aperture/Shutter Speed come to mind, but again I am not a photographer...
      My point is he was very narrowly focused in his coverage and I believe I have made it.

Vehicles
      saloon/specialized
      07-27-2007 04:36 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by VariantStg3 »
      but again I am not a photographer...

but as a photographer you wouldnt know how hard it would be to provide good coverage of just the static areas of WF. let alone carry around extra lenses and have the time to set up your shots for the autocross and drag racing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast