Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to charge a 3.2 EOS battery?

Vehicles
      mkvi GTI Wolfsburg
      07-27-2007 03:02 PM #1
      I work at a VW dealer and one of the porters came to me to figure out how to charge a 3.2 Eos. Now im usually the one to come to as far as product knowledge at the dealership but this one im not sure about. Im not even sure where the battery on a 3.2 is located. I know how to jump the car using the positive terminal under the hood but I cant see this working to charge the vehicle due to there not being a negative terminal to make a loop. The top is also down so I dont know if that makes a difference being the battery is probably in the trunk. Is there a manual trunk release hiddin like in some of the other cars?

Vehicles
      mkvi GTI Wolfsburg
      07-27-2007 03:08 PM #2
      Well I found the trunk release...

Vehicles
      2007 Eos, Lux, DSG. 2006 Jetta. 2000 Honda Odyssey. 2011 Ford F150 EcoBoost
      07-27-2007 03:14 PM #3
      I don't mean to sound like a smart ass, but isn't there an owners manual with car?

I would think it would provide some insight on charging the battery.

Kevin

Vehicles
      mkvi GTI Wolfsburg
      07-27-2007 03:15 PM #4
      The owners manual says bring the car to an authorized dealer lol.

Vehicles
      mkvi GTI Wolfsburg
      07-27-2007 03:18 PM #5
      Talked to a tech, said theres two 6volt gel batteries on either side of the trunk (tops down so that doesnt help.) but also that he thinks the batteries cant be charged. The cars on the showroom. I guess the only option is jump it with the positive terminal under the hood and drive it till it charges.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Eos 2.0t Lux
      07-27-2007 04:12 PM #6
      Yes the charger would go on the positive terminal under the hood and the negative to a good solid (unpainted) spot on the frame or engine block. The frame is your return path to close the loop. I know I saw mention of this in the owners manual. If there is a suggestion in the manual to take the car to dealer for a jump start is useless information. How is it supposed to get there? Perhaps they suggest that for replacing the battery??

Vehicles
      mkvi GTI Wolfsburg
      07-27-2007 06:47 PM #7
      I have no clue why it says bring the car to the dealer to charge the battery. I ended up just jump starting the car and pulling it off the show room and drove it around for a while. Talked to a different tech and he said the same thing, just ground it to the frame and it will close the loop. However now the mfd is saying the door is open, and even better its saying the back door is open. Obviously an eos doesnt have a back door. I put it in service im sure all it needs is to be reset after the battery going dead.

Vehicles
      07-27-2007 08:57 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by SpoolinFSI »
      The owners manual says bring the car to an authorized dealer lol.

That's hilarious.... Guess you've got that covered

Kevin

Vehicles
      07-27-2007 09:00 PM #9
      I have no clue why it says bring the car to the dealer to charge the battery. I ended up just jump starting the car and pulling it off the show room and drove it around for a while......

There is an oblivious advantage to this service technique. Nothing like a nice long top down cruise as part of your work day.

Kevin

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI
      07-27-2007 10:49 PM #10
      I work at a VW dealer and one of the porters came to me to figure out how to charge a 3.2 Eos. Now im usually the one to come to as far as product knowledge at the dealership but this one im not sure about. Im not even sure where the battery on a 3.2 is located. I know how to jump the car using the positive terminal under the hood but I cant see this working to charge the vehicle due to there not being a negative terminal to make a loop. The top is also down so I dont know if that makes a difference being the battery is probably in the trunk. Is there a manual trunk release hiddin like in some of the other cars?

Do you have any of the solar chargers laying around? They might work for a trickle charge?

Vehicles
      2007 VW Eos Sport with Tech Package, RNS-510 Upgrade. 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, Stock
      07-28-2007 12:31 AM #11
      There is a thread on this in the FAQ

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2982042

It includes a TB on care of the batteries in the 3.2..

-Mark

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Eos 2.0t Lux
      07-28-2007 09:02 AM #12
      That's interesting that the manual does not recommend charging the battery from under the hood. I'm curious why. The auxiliary battery terminal must be able to handle high currents for jump starting and the alternator, which is under the hood charges the batteries?

Another question pertaining to jump starting. With the DSG transmission does anyone know if you are able to push start the car like you can with a manual?

Vehicles
      2007 VW Eos Sport with Tech Package, RNS-510 Upgrade. 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, Stock
      07-28-2007 09:43 AM #13
      How would you 'pop' the clutch...

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Eos 2.0t Lux
      07-28-2007 10:31 AM #14
      Roll the car in neutral and then pop in drive? It doesn't sound good but I don't remember seeing a warning against this off the top of my head. I know I've seen warnings in other owners manual against trying to push start an automatic. With all the warnings in the Eos manual I don't remember seeing one about this? Has anyone else?

Regardless, I always carry a set of jumper cables in the trunk for the unexpected dead battery. In fact, I was able to snake my jumper cable perfectly around the spare tire in the Eos trunk well.

Vehicles
      mkvi GTI Wolfsburg
      07-28-2007 12:06 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by just4fun »

There is an oblivious advantage to this service technique. Nothing like a nice long top down cruise as part of your work day.

Kevin

Yeah I definetly wasnt complaining when I came up with my charging technique. Nice hour long top down ride in a loaded 3.2 in florda never hurts.

Vehicles
      07-28-2007 12:10 PM #16
      If the battery was flat would their be enought power to operate the clutch even if you moved the stick into drive. I'm certainly not going to be the first to try this one..

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Eos 2.0t Lux
      07-28-2007 12:22 PM #17
      Nor I, and I would bet the computer would not allow the clutch to engage if it knows the engine is not running.

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI
      07-28-2007 01:11 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by solarflare »
      Roll the car in neutral and then pop in drive? It doesn't sound good but I don't remember seeing a warning against this off the top of my head. I know I've seen warnings in other owners manual against trying to push start an automatic. With all the warnings in the Eos manual I don't remember seeing one about this? Has anyone else?

Regardless, I always carry a set of jumper cables in the trunk for the unexpected dead battery. In fact, I was able to snake my jumper cable perfectly around the spare tire in the Eos trunk well.

I would not reccommend it... I do not know what will happen but I am willing to bet it is bad. DSG is still an automatic. There is no clutch to manually release. It is all computer controlled... so if the car is off how do you suggest we engage the clutch?