Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY : Golf GT grill install

1. 08-03-2007 04:07 PM #1
      This mod is pretty easy. Anyone with basic tools and about an hour can do it.
      Here's our subject after a quick prep for surgery.

I ordered my kit from oempl.us. Here's what it looked like upon arrival. The front shield and lower trim piece are primered and can be painted whatever color you want.

The front shield and lower trim piece come separated from their respective grill pieces. They attach by numerous snap together tabs. These pieces are pretty flexible, but the lower piece can break easily (speaking from experience).
      I decided to have my pieces color matched to my car. Here's what they look like after paint and pre-assembly.

The tools needed are a couple of screw drivers. A small Phillips and flat will be fine. You will also need a Torx driver. My grill had T25 screws. I've heard some people had T20. You may also need a small drill bit and cordless drill.

You can start with the fog light covers. They are the easiest to remove.

There is one small Phillips screw in this hole. Once it is removed, you can stick your finger in the hole and pull. The cover should pop off fairly easy.

After removal.

Replace the old with the new. It should snap back together. Don't forget to put the small screw back.
      Next you can start on the main grill by removing the front plate. If you don't have a front plate, you're lucky and I'm jealous.
      The main grill has two Torx screws (T25) on each corner. There are also two small tabs that will need to be released. You can use your small flat head screwdriver for this.

There are also two small Phillips screws on the bottom that attach the main grill with the lower grill. Remove these.

The main grill should only be held on by a few tabs. You can pull the top of the grill up and out. You should be able to reach in and release these tabs to remove the whole grill.
      It should look like this at this point.

There are two metal tabs that will need to be transferred to the new grill. These are for the small Phillips screws mentioned earlier.

Now you can remove the lower grill. It snaps in place with several tabs at the top and bottom. The top ones are pretty easy to release.

You can pull the top outward a little.

Here's the tricky part. Unless you have the lower skid plate removed, you cannot access the lower tabs from the bottom of the car.
      I had to pull the top away from the bumper, stick my hand inside, and use a flat head screwdriver to help release the lower tabs.

I've heard some people just yank hard to remove the lower grill. I'm too wimpy and was worried about breaking something.
      The new lower grill will go back in place just like the old one. Snap in in and make sure all the tabs snap to lock it in.
      These next few steps for those of us unlucky enough to live in states that require a front license plate.
      I removed the front plate bracket and measured the holes.
      I then masked off the area to be drilled and marked the hole positions.

I used a drill bit a little smaller than the mounting screws. The front shield is plastic and the mounting screws were self tapping style. Here's the bracket mounted on the front shield.

I also noticed there was a VW part number cast into the back of the bracket. (Just in case anyone needs to order one.)

Now it's just a matter of installing the main grill in reverse. Line up the lower tabs and snap them in. Push the top of the grill towards the car and snap the two top tabs in. Replace the two Torx screws.
      That should be it!
      You just went from this...

To this, in an hour!

Enjoy!!

2. 08-03-2007 04:10 PM #2
      why the front plate holder with no plate?

3. 08-03-2007 04:55 PM #3
      I wasn't completely finished. I was taking pictures as I worked. The plate, screws, and tools were all over the garage!

4. 08-03-2007 05:08 PM #4
      if u wanna get rid of gli grill let me know

5. 08-03-2007 05:18 PM #5
      awesome diy - awesome result
      how much for that grill kit?

6. 08-03-2007 05:33 PM #6
      I've got it wrapped and packed in the GT shipping box. I'll give you a heads up if I'm going to sell it.

7. 08-03-2007 05:33 PM #7
      quick question, my bumper sags a little and i wanted to know if, with the grill removed, you can get to the mounting pioints for the bumper to tighten them up?

8. 08-03-2007 05:36 PM #8
      http://oempl.us/product_info.p...d7310
      I ordered mine with the integrated fogs for the GTI/GLI. Total with shipping to Texas via UPS was just under $425.

9. 08-03-2007 05:38 PM #9
      I love this mod. I want to do it in tornado red on my GTI as soon as I save the cash. How much did it cost to get the shield painted?

10. 08-03-2007 06:10 PM #10
      Wow. That's a good question. I didn't pay attention that close to what was behind the grills. I was pretty focused on the install and taking pictures. I don't really know. Sorry.

11. 08-03-2007 06:12 PM #11
      I had quotes from three different places that ranged in price from close to $200 to just over $100.
      I used a Porsche/Mercedes/BMW european body shop my sales guy recommended. It was $108 out the door. I think they did a great job for the price.

12. 08-03-2007 06:32 PM #12
      Very nice!!! I'm looking to do the same thing and I even got the other half to agree upon it.

13. 08-03-2007 06:35 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by bit_boy »
      Wow. That's a good question. I didn't pay attention that close to what was behind the grills. I was pretty focused on the install and taking pictures. I don't really know. Sorry.

no worries mate, thought I'd ask [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

14. 08-08-2007 07:31 PM #14
      What a great help this was. Took me less then an hour to get it installed,

Vehicles
      2007 Base Jetta with C2 stg2 Turbo
      08-08-2007 08:16 PM #15
      mine was a little tougher,I made my own from a spare grill set.

Modified by darkk at 4:34 PM 8-19-2007

Vehicles
      2008 VW Passat
      08-08-2007 08:26 PM #16
      looks great- love this mod.

Vehicles
      e36 M3, MKV GTI
      08-08-2007 08:36 PM #17
      Nice! I like the GT Grill... tempting to do it to my car --I'll be the only with it-- but I LOVE the honeycomb... It's so....Iconic. Anyway.
      Looks great, nice write-up too.

18. 08-08-2007 10:01 PM #18
      The proper way to attach the front plate bracket is not with screws but with a plastic expansion clip (its a round stumpy looking push clip with a shaft in the middle that expands the clip when pushed in).
      But I can see that may dealers don't really care and just screw the plate holder in.

19. 08-08-2007 11:25 PM #19
      Golf GT front conversions FTW! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 1984 Rabbit Convertible, 71 ghia coupe
      09-12-2007 01:39 PM #20
      awsome mod looks good but why in gods name did you drill it!?!?
      You should cherish a non drilled grille and mount your plate low. I hated my drilled jetta grille i was so psyched to get a non drilled GTI grille to replace it
      Dubs Of Queens -EEM

Glass Artist. Custom work Available
      instagram fritglass
      KIK FriT Glass

Vehicles
      2005.5 VW Jetta
      09-12-2007 02:56 PM #21
      did mine in flat black (sanded the chrome and its starting to chip, just dont have money to buy the Gt one yet)

Went From this (blackoutjetta) 2006 vw jetta 2.5l to a 2010 f150
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-see-you-later

22. 09-12-2007 02:58 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by MKVdubbin »
      awsome mod looks good but why in gods name did you drill it!?!?
      You should cherish a non drilled grille and mount your plate low. I hated my drilled jetta grille i was so psyched to get a non drilled GTI grille to replace it

But you're blocking the intercooler.

23. 09-12-2007 03:00 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by booostfever »

I think your first mod should've been to remove the spring spacers

Vehicles
      2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 1984 Rabbit Convertible, 71 ghia coupe
      09-13-2007 12:23 AM #24
      im not sure if thats sarcasm but its a 2.5 so the intercooler isnt a problem . they make a nice low side mount kit that folds under the car for show its pretty nice check it out on http://www.formulaimage.com/
      Dubs Of Queens -EEM

Glass Artist. Custom work Available
      instagram fritglass
      KIK FriT Glass

Vehicles
      12 Golf TDI, 12 F-150 Eco Boost
      12-12-2007 02:24 PM #25
      Question, is this grill the same as a jetta's but without the chrome? Could I just de-chrome a jetta front end and put that in a GTI?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast