Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2000 Jetta 1.8T Bottom End Rebuild

1. 08-05-2007 06:21 PM #1
      I am ready to pull the drive train of this Jetta. Have a number of questions.

But let me get a few pictures out of the way first. I am sure many of you have done this before. This is for the benefit of those who haven't.

The main wiring harness connectors are between the windshield and the hood. I didn't know how to remove the plastic panel covering the area. Then I found just pull hard. It came off.

Of course the windshield wipers have already been removed. The two main wiring harness connectors are in the center right in front of the windshield.

The relays are connected to the main wiring. The wiper motor and linkages are in the way. So out they go.
      [IMG][http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/VW_jetta_2000/DSC_5152.jpg/IMG]

The relays are inside a box with a plastic cover beneath the wiper motor and linkages.

Now my questions..

I fount two engine lift attachment points. They are both on the same side (front of the engine). Is that right? One is cast with the cylinder head.

Another is a metal bracket bolted to the head.

Also is there a dealer mail order source for VW? Also is there electronic part catalog online? One plastic parts I removed was damaged. This is the plastic trim next to the intercooler. I would like to look up the parts number and order from the dealer. I don't think this part is available from regular parts outlet.

Modified by yaofeng at 3:23 PM 8-5-2007

Modified by yaofeng at 6:12 PM 8-5-2007

2. 08-05-2007 09:19 PM #2
      Affixed to the turbocharger oil return pipe is a label written by the dealer mechanic "#3 crank and mains + thrust bearings gone, head is okay but dry no oil". The dealer just hand tightened the oil pan bolt, resulting in a pool of oil on my garage floor.

3. 08-05-2007 09:25 PM #3
      i think u can get that plastic piece from dieselgeek. it may be modified to fit their skid plates but im not sure.

4. 08-06-2007 12:03 AM #4
      A few pictures taken while pulling the engine.

The engine on the hook on its way up.

I had to cut two wires or the the engine can't be removed. These two wires are on the passenger side branching off of the wires to the O2 sensor.

The engine out of the car, still in mid-air.

A few shots of the empty engine bay.

Another view of the engine in mid-air.

The drive train set on the floor.

I guess there is not a dealer parts source with electronic parts catalog online?

Vehicles
      93 mk1 cabby, 20th AE #1068
      11-02-2008 01:05 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by yaofeng »
      A few pictures taken while pulling the engine.

I guess there is not a dealer parts source with electronic parts catalog online?

nice seeing someone dive into the unknown

as far as parts go, i'd scope out like pelicanparts.com maybe

NOVA_sludge

WTB locally: MK4 JTI parts, 10, 15, or 20mm hubcentric spacers.

6. 11-02-2008 01:23 PM #6

7. 11-02-2008 01:52 PM #7
      wow. wish i had the ability to do this. gl. and keep us posted

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta TDI; 05 VW Jetta GLI 5857BT
      11-02-2008 07:12 PM #8
      try vagcat.com

you can look up a lot of prts there.