Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: MTB old school cool

08-30-2007 12:50 PM #71
      that ibis is sic, does it have the handjob? I think I can see it but not sure.

Vehicles
      '99.5 GTI VR6, '08 A4 Avant S-line/Ti, '13 Touareg Sport
      08-30-2007 08:09 PM #72
      Just cleaned this up for my son to take back to college with him. .. I figured nobody would want to steal this dinosaur!
      Vintage 1987 Supergo Access, Cromoly tubing by Columbus and lots of mid-80's goodness. Shimano Deore group, including the infamous U-brake, which required a 'Shark-fin' mounted on the chainstay so the chain wouldn't get sucked down into the brake ; a Tioga long-reach stem to replace the standard Salsa, Oury soft grips, Vetta saddle, vertical pump behind the seat tube, etc. etc.
      Supergo was a heck of a value at the time... I mail-ordered this bike when I lived in Germany and many of the locals had never seen a MTB.
      Dave
      '99.5 GTI VR6
      '08 A4 Avant S-line/TI
      '13 Touareg Sport V6/FSI

Vehicles
      2004 R32
      08-30-2007 08:24 PM #73
      Quote, originally posted by GTaye »
      Just cleaned this up for my son to take back to college with him. .. I figured nobody would want to steal this dinosaur!
      Vintage 1987 Supergo Access, Cromoly tubing by Columbus and lots of mid-80's goodness. Shimano Deore group, including the infamous U-brake, which required a 'Shark-fin' mounted on the chainstay so the chain wouldn't get sucked down into the brake ; a Tioga long-reach stem to replace the standard Salsa, Oury soft grips, Vetta saddle, vertical pump behind the seat tube, etc. etc.
      Supergo was a heck of a value at the time... I mail-ordered this bike when I lived in Germany and many of the locals had never seen a MTB.

And you forgot to mention the Shimano BioPace chainrings

Vehicles
      08-30-2007 08:31 PM #74
      I never had a huge problem with the Biopace.. it was noticeable, especially on the smallest chainring, but no big deal to me and I rode plenty of hills back in the day.
      Suntour had a version of elliptical chainrings also, didn't they?

Edit: I took off the period-correct Ritchey 26x2.125 tires to mount the street rubber you see here.

Modified by GTaye at 7:45 AM 8-31-2007

Dave
      '99.5 GTI VR6
      '08 A4 Avant S-line/TI
      '13 Touareg Sport V6/FSI

5. 08-30-2007 09:20 PM #75

I have the old parts bin from hell...

Salsa stems (quill and ahead)
      Mountain Goat green/orange speckled frame
      Avid tri-aligns
      Cook Bros cranks
      Caramba cranks
      Shimano 737's
      Magura set, no lines in yellow
      XTR 8 speed rapid fire shifter/bl combo
      SunTour XC-Pro thumies-the thumie of choice in 1992
      Answer Hyperlite bar

6. 08-31-2007 12:56 PM #76
      Oh the memories this thread brings.

08-31-2007 01:06 PM #77
      I love these. I have two on my Bontrager Race Lite. IMO this sort of stuff is missing from mtb's now. I understand the technology has far surpassed where it was, but there was something really really cool about a handbuilt, steel hardtail with cnc parts and custom ride.

8. 08-31-2007 01:55 PM #78
      Quote, originally posted by UKGTI »
      I love these. I have two on my Bontrager Race Lite. IMO this sort of stuff is missing from mtb's now. I understand the technology has far surpassed where it was, but there was something really really cool about a handbuilt, steel hardtail with cnc parts and custom ride.

I just pulled a blue one of those off my bike

I love steel hardtails too. My wish for a new bike is a steel Haro Mary XC 29er.

I got my replacement Judy XC fork from eBay. I'm going to try to install it this weekend. Once everything is back together, I'm going to take some more pics.

Dave.

9. 09-01-2007 09:19 PM #79

Yup, it does. I had a pic, but I seem to have misplaced it.

I've got some of these on my bike too, in silver. I had a blue anodized Kooka stem for a while, but it developed a stress crack. That was the extent of my cool CNC parts, except for the brakes I CNC'd myself in high school.

I worked in a bike shop at the time, and all our race team bikes were Baracuda Dos Equis frames (made by Yeti) completely blinged out with purple anodized Ringlé parts. Ah, memories.

10. 09-02-2007 02:03 AM #80
      I went to a shop today to pick up a chain. This place mostly does mail order, and has about nothing for a showroom.

On their used/misc. items table they had a set of the Magura Hydro Cant's. They had less than a half dozen bikes on display. One was an Amp B3, the other a Litespeed that was a Ti Amp B3. First time I saw an Amp in person.

Dave.

11. 09-02-2007 12:37 PM #81
      One was an Amp B3 i still ride one of these, only it's called a mongoose amplifierII i'd love to buy something new but it still does everything i need it to. guy at my local bike shop always offers to buy it.

12. 09-02-2007 02:12 PM #82
      Quote, originally posted by gti19403 »
      One was an Amp B3 i still ride one of these, only it's called a mongoose amplifierII i'd love to buy something new but it still does everything i need it to. guy at my local bike shop always offers to buy it.

These were cool old bikes. AMP Research doesn't make bikes anymore - they hold the patent for pickup bed extenders and automated pickup side steps http://amp-research.com.

Ibis is back in business too, building carbon frames. Scot Nicol (aka Chuck Ibis) is back in charge this time around - I exchanged emails with him looking for an Ibis hat.

Modified by hhigti at 2:13 PM 9-2-2007

Vehicles
      Porsche,S4,TVR,Alfa,Triumph,LandRover
      09-03-2007 12:29 PM #83
      Heres a pic of my very old KHS Montana

Eurotech Motorsports Frederick Marylands premier european automotive service center
      580 East Church St,Frederick,MD,21701 in historic downtown frederick 301.371.0700
      Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...98669906844918
      Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/etmracing/

09-14-2007 05:57 PM #84
      not really the direction I was thinking of when I started this thread. I am talking more about this stuff

http://cgi.ebay.com/1992-Ralei...wItem

15. 09-15-2007 08:10 PM #85
      My rig is nearly completely rebuilt. I got a new school Octalink BB, and a new Deore LX crank. I wanted to keep it vintage, but this was more cost effective.

Zoom FasTrack Bars:

My replacement Judy XC with Speed Springs I just got off eBay:

Purplely Bits:

Hopefully I'll get my new cranks and pedals on tonight:

Dave.

Vehicles
      71 Fiat 850, 88 Saab 900s, 97 Ranger, 01 JGC
      11-04-2007 01:54 AM #86
      today at my lbs they were working on an old ibis mojo, has anyone seen the cable stops for those? i believe they were called handjobs and they look crazy.

sorry couldnt find a pic.

17. 11-04-2007 09:29 PM #87
      Anyone remember these?

Vehicles
      Fahrenheit GLI #638, 2014 JSW TDI
      11-04-2007 09:59 PM #88
      Wow, some of this really brings back memories. When I was in highschool, i did a little racing, but mostly riding to and from every where because i was too poor for a car. I basically lived at a local bike shop were some friends worked.

I had Profile Aero Bars on my first bike. My first clipless pedals were Onza's, and the only reason I got rid of them after 10 years, is because the bearings went bad. I also had Top mount Deore XT Shifters, and I STILL use Grip shift....

Anyone remember these Honey's?

...before K2 bought them out, when they had elastomer suspension. I wanted the front fork in the worst way. I t was a deliciously simple design that I'm sure with the right dampener would still out perform a lot of modern forks.

Brett
      FS: MKIII Perforated leather e-brake boot
      I can think of 726 reasons why I like vBulletin
      Noli Me Tangere

19. 11-05-2007 12:00 AM #89
      Yeah, I have one of those sitting next to me right now. I found it through a local for sale site and picked it up for next to nothing. It came complete with rock-hard elastomers. They do track well but need a good replacement shock/spring to be worth it. Good luck finding one of those.

Vehicles
      84 Mk1 GLI, 89 Vanagon Carat Whitestar, 03 Mk4 GTI
      11-05-2007 03:44 PM #90
      Cool thread, lots of old stuff I used to lust after back in the day.

Things that I remember riding or my buddies riding:

Mag 21 SL - my first suspension fork
      Girvin Flex-Stem (or the hi-zoot version w/built in Ti handlebar)
      Tioga Disk Drive wheel (it always broke but Tioga would warranty)
      Panaracer Smoke and Dart tires
      Rock Shox (really an AMP) disk brake - I broke a rib due to one of those things
      Nuke Proof Hubs (oh how they loved to fall apart)
      Anything Ringle and purple
      Kooka Ratcha brake levers - they are still on a buddies townie bike
      Taking off my old steel h-bar for a fancy new Easton Hyperlight aluminum unit
      Continental Pro1 and Pro2 tires - they ruled the New England soil of the mid 90's.
      Cook Brothers E-Cranks
      Halson inverted air forks
      Nishiki Alien bikes
      Dia-Compe 986 canti's and SS-5 brake levers
      SRAM X-Ray 8spd grip shifts (I still have three sets of these in a box somewhere)
      Bontrager BCX-1 and BCX-2/Red and Blue rims

Oh the memories of parts and bikes past...

Eurowner (Scot) needs to chime in and post up some of the stuff he's got hanging around his shop. The biggest collection of vintage suspension forks in the US.

DCI - Party time, excellent

21. 11-07-2007 01:03 PM #91
      Quote, originally posted by travisorus rex »
      Anyone remember these?

Man-o-man does this thread take me back. I was VP of Nuke Proof for 12 years until I gave up trying to get bossman to "fix" the design of the hubs. 12 years of selling hubs - I know hubs, and I can definitively say, I've never seen this crazy thing. I remember Pulstars and Paul's Components had a straight laced hub, but this thing, I've no clue. What is it?

22. 11-13-2007 10:24 PM #92
      Clark Kent Pinapple hubs. These came out at the tail end of the twisted spoke era. Unfortunately, because of bad timing, they didn't last long. From what I hear, only a few rear hubs made it to the general pulic so finding a matching set is near impossible.

23. 11-14-2007 12:21 AM #93
      Edit: I took off the period-correct Ritchey 26x2.125 tires to mount the street rubber you see here.

Period correct Ritchey rubber?

I really need to get a non-chain-saggy photo on here. Here's the specs.

Klein Fervor frame. Early 90's-ish.
      STX-RC hubs laced to Bontrager Mustang rims. Don't remember the spokes. ****ty ghetto SS conversion that needs to go away.
      Debadged Control Tech Stem. Long as hell.
      Wide sweepy bars. Random Specialized pulloffs.
      Other Avid stuff and random anodized bits and pieces.

Still a work in progress, but it's kind of low on the ladder so it gets put off a lot.

24. 03-23-2008 02:41 PM #94
      Answer stems.

Cannondale Super V

Slingshots...bad idea

Onza grips

Rock Shox brew and MAG 21

Machine Tech stem

Scott AT2 bars

Caramba double barrel cranks... I want!

Specialized/Rock Shox FSX

Syncros cranks

03-24-2008 02:47 AM #95
      I'll have to get some pics of the Yo Eddy! and post them up. Took me 14 years to get a Yo, and I doubt I'll be getting rid of it anytime soon.
      Your internet stance club sucks.

Vehicles
      71 Fiat 850, 88 Saab 900s, 97 Ranger, 01 JGC
      03-24-2008 02:59 AM #96
      Quote, originally posted by travisorus rex »

Machine Tech stem

is there anywhere i can get one of those? i have some machine tech brake levers on my ss and would love to have that stem.

27. 03-24-2008 10:14 AM #97
      only place I've seen them is on eBay.

Vehicles
      03-24-2008 04:47 PM #98

Sad epilogue to this story... the bike was stolen from the rack at my son's dorm at UDel. If anyone in Newark, DE sees a 1987 Supergo around town, IM me!

...and they walked past many fully-suspended bikes to snatch the crusty old Chromoly hardtail!

Dave
      '99.5 GTI VR6
      '08 A4 Avant S-line/TI
      '13 Touareg Sport V6/FSI

Vehicles
      8 Rings / TDI
      03-26-2008 06:46 PM #99
      Good lord this thread takes me back- I remember them all! Stupid crazy slingshot and foam Pro-Flex bikes. I wanted everything Kooka and a nice set of Nuke-Proof hubs.

I'm getting ready to rebuild my old 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2. I've got 4 BNIB UmmaGumma tires for her too From the Yeti grips to the Purple S-works barends this bike screams old-school.

I always wanted a nice Yeti- something about the blue and yellow frame...

I remember Tinker Juarez and Missy Giovi like it was yesterday.

PM Travy℠ |flickr | mikegilbertphotography.com | Everything you need to know | » | DrinkTanks | Scratch-It™
      The people around here tuck their teeshirts into their jeans. So a sense of humor will not be welcomed.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      1956 IH S-110 Hot rod, 1973 Morris Mini 1000, 1990 VW Jetta GL
      03-26-2008 07:46 PM #100
      Oh hell yeah! I love me sum C-dales! Back when they dominated!

31. 03-26-2008 09:06 PM #101
      ...even though the only races Tinker ever won were few and far between...

Vehicles
      Subaru
      03-26-2008 10:54 PM #102
      I have one of these on my cross bike:

And this is on the front:

Both of these were purchased in 1995, along with my current hardtail:

This is a 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS. It has been through half a dozen (or more?) wheels, four forks, a handful of crank sets, and well, the only part that is original (other than the frame) is the front deraileur. It just finished a nice ~11 mile ride at a local trail earlier this afternoon. But, after 13 seasons of riding I'm building a new hardtail and the M2 will be converted for singlespeed duty. The new hardtail won't be an 'old school cool MTB', but the frame geometry is designed to approximate the M2, but accommodate a 100 mm fork. Oh, and it will have loads of blue anodized aluminum, including some blue anodized cable ends.

Modified by 251 at 10:56 PM 3-26-2008

33. 03-26-2008 11:07 PM #103
      Quote, originally posted by 251 »
      Oh, and it will have loads of blue anodized aluminum, including some blue anodized cable ends.

Anodizing is most definitely old school cool.

34. 03-26-2008 11:51 PM #104
      Did somebody say nuke proof hubs?? I'll need to get a pic up. I've got a front here that needs a home. LoL

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      03-27-2008 12:14 AM #105

I've got a Ibis handjob and foot keychains from when I worked at the bike shop years ago.

My Ritchey hasn't changed since I built it, other than a new saddle. I love that thing. Goretex cables and housing, Campy brake levers (like butta), 28-Ultegra front hub, etc. I love that bike.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast