Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FAQ/DIY - How To Use A Clay Bar + Clay Bar Qs&As

1. 07-25-2008 02:36 AM #36
      Douse the areas in the alcohol and/or tarminator. They will not hurt the paint at all. They will simply remove any protection (and hopefully the sap) from your paint. So make sure to wax the areas afterward.

2. 07-26-2008 01:49 AM #37
      Just a quick question do you have to wax after claying im nost sure if I read that or not..

Thanks,
      Danny

3. 07-26-2008 02:23 AM #38
      If your paint needs no correction, the yes you can add protection like wax (or sealant).

4. 07-26-2008 02:27 AM #39
      Quote, originally posted by me »
      If your paint needs no correction, the yes you can add protection like wax (or sealant).

What do you mean by correction?

5. 07-26-2008 02:39 AM #40
      Swirls and scratches.

6. 07-26-2008 02:46 AM #41
      Quote, originally posted by me »
      Swirls and scratches.

And if I have those what should I do...I know I a few scratches from the wife using an ice scraper on the car...so what I can I do for that?

I also have waxed the car with these scratches on the car already...is that bad?

Vehicles
      2012 MR Beetle 2.5 5MT, 2013 RS JSW TDI 6MT
      07-27-2008 12:06 AM #42
      Today I picked up a Maguire's Clay Bar (80 gram, IIRC) and some Zymol wax...and my car looks BEAUTIFUL. I would have snapped some pictures, but I just finished and it's dark outside. It turns out the clay bar removed most of the sap spots and everything else. Though my car is less than a year old and is washed and waxed regularly, the clay bar was DISGUSTING when I was done. I decided just to chuck it.

Overall I'm really happy with the clay bar method. Every car I've had has been waxed regularly, but this is my first time using clay. I don't think I'll ever wax my car again without claying it first. It was pretty quick and painless, too.

Anyway, thanks for the advice about the alcohol, even though I didn't use it. I'll keep it in mind if I ever have a bad sap problem again.

- Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

Vehicles
      2012 MR Beetle 2.5 5MT, 2013 RS JSW TDI 6MT
      07-27-2008 10:27 PM #43
      Can someone clue me in as to what the significance of the weight is? For example, I used an 80 gram bar on my car. Is it better to use a 200 gram bar or say...a 60 gram bar? What's the difference?

- Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      It's a VW; the sensors are as sensitive as women on that time of the month . . . and the dash is as anxious to light up as a stoner.

9. 07-28-2008 12:13 AM #44
      Large weights just refers to a larger size block. If you only clay once a year or two, then you don't need much. But for people who detail often (or more than one car), it's nice to be able to buy a larger block and just break off the amount you need per detailing event.

10. 07-28-2008 07:26 PM #45
      Also, if you do buy a larger bar, it is good to cut it in half or fourths. That way, if you drop it, you don't waste the whole bar. I also find it easier to work with a smaller bar.

Vehicles
      81 Cabby, 04 Passat Wagon
      04-03-2009 01:48 PM #46
      Just read through this entire post. Thanks to the original poster i'm going to definitely be using this post to get my GTi looking it's best for the spring

12. 04-03-2009 07:32 PM #47
      Glad to hear people are sill reading it.

Vehicles
      1995 Corrado
      04-04-2009 01:29 PM #48
      Excellent post Brody.
      We non-pros appreciate the "detail" (no pun intended) that you pros include in these types of posts. Never be reluctant to state the obvious ...what is obvious to pros like you is often far from obvious for guys like me.
      Thanks

14. 04-05-2009 07:00 PM #49
      No problem Kelly. I'm just happy to help.

04-07-2009 10:38 PM #50
      also you can take a plastic bag and run it over the car when your done claying to see if it still has **** on it that you could have missed with clay.

if you clayed everything then the plastic bag should run over the car as if it were glass and that you cant feel the contaminents

16. 04-08-2009 11:13 AM #51
      Thanks for the input

Just picked up the Mothers Kit from my local Autozone. I will be doing my first real detail this coming week and I have been putting all this info together mentally for when I am in the process. This will also be the first time I use my PC so we will see how it goes.

Vehicles
      '96 GTI 2.0, '00 Golf 1.8T
      04-10-2009 11:57 AM #52
      I was looking into this for this weekend as well, thanks for the nice write-up.

Question: clay is billed as a product that gets things that pre-wax paint cleaners do not. Does it therefore eliminate the need for such cleaners? For years I have used the Mequiar's 3-step process of Paint Cleaner/Polish/Wax. Should one still use the Paint Cleaner, perhaps before the clay bar, in order to get larger contaminents off?

Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted
      FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

18. 04-10-2009 12:04 PM #53
      While the claybar picks up items that cleaner can't get, the cleaner also cleans off residue that the clay bar leaves behind. They really are a one-two punch when it comes to having perfectly clean paint.

I would, and do, continue to use both.

The cleaner should be used after the clay bar.

Vehicles
      '96 GTI 2.0, '00 Golf 1.8T
      04-10-2009 12:09 PM #54
      Ah, I see. Thanks!
      Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
      Spokane's Most Posted
      FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 uni black jolf
      04-11-2009 11:33 PM #55
      bump

Vehicles
      mk1(1.8t) mk4(2.0)
      04-14-2009 03:23 PM #56
      since i cant buy a real clay bar here in berlin, i sourced the "brand new" meguiars clay bay replacement!
      i needet to order that too
      the instructions sait to use meg´s quick detail as lubricant....
      so i went and washed the car trice before i used it and i was surprised how much dirt came of my paint!!!

BUT here the problem the quick detailer left a lot of stains that i needet to wipe off before i went on to wax the car, to say i was angry is an understatement since i needed one more step to get the whole car clean.

does every lubricant leave stains like i got??

22. 04-15-2009 01:21 PM #57
      Not generally. However, some quick detailers do leave streaks if applied to thickly or on a warm panel. I have a problem with Meguiar's Last Touch leaving streaks.

Did you do this in the sun?

Vehicles
      mk1(1.8t) mk4(2.0)
      04-17-2009 01:06 PM #58
      no in the shadow but the temperature was about 95 i guess...
      is there any difference between a "clay bar" and a "clay bar replacement"??
      i can not buy or order a clay bar here

24. 04-17-2009 01:10 PM #59
      Quote, originally posted by otti »
      no in the shadow but the temperature was about 95 i guess...
      is there any difference between a "clay bar" and a "clay bar replacement"??
      That might have been your problem. Some quick detailers are finicky.

There isn't a difference, that I can tell, with the Meguiar's clay bar that comes in the kit and the clay bar replacements. You will be fine.

Vehicles
      '02 S8
      07-02-2009 01:41 PM #60
      One question about using claybar on a black car.

Assuming my clay isn't contaminated, the car is clean, and ample lube is used, do I need to worry about visible marring from the claybar? A better way to put it may be, is claybar abrasive enough to leave light scratches on the surface of a black car that I'll have to polish out prior to wax?

tia

26. 07-02-2009 02:07 PM #61
      If you are using an OTC clay bar in the circumstance you suggested, then no, it shouldn't scratch the surface. They do make more agressive clay bars that you can buy online that will mar the paint a little. They are meant for being used prior to polishing.

I'm not going to say 100% no though. Something can always go wrong. I have seen it happen on soft paints.

Modified by 67Customs at 2:09 PM 7-2-2009

Vehicles
      '02 S8
      07-05-2009 08:34 PM #62
      Quote, originally posted by 67Customs »
      If you are using an OTC clay bar in the circumstance you suggested, then no, it shouldn't scratch the surface. They do make more agressive clay bars that you can buy online that will mar the paint a little. They are meant for being used prior to polishing.

I'm not going to say 100% no though. Something can always go wrong. I have seen it happen on soft paints.

Appreciate the response.

Vehicles
      '03 Wolfsburg Ed. Jetta, '90 Mazda Miata
      07-10-2009 01:51 PM #63
      Thanks for the great write-up, it was really helpful. I'm nuts about keeping my car immaculate .. more fuel for the fire!
      -Kelsey
      1990 Mazda Miata
      2003 Wolfsburg Ed. Jetta

29. 07-10-2009 03:56 PM #64
      Quote, originally posted by WEvdub »
      Thanks for the great write-up, it was really helpful. I'm nuts about keeping my car immaculate .. more fuel for the fire!
      You are very welcome.

When it comes to keeping cars immaculate, there is always fuel to add to the fire.lol

08-09-2009 01:02 PM #65
      i just clayed my car for the first time. I know i'm supposed to apply some wax now. Question is should i apply a megs cleaner wax or nxt 2.0?

Vehicles
      '03 GTi 1.8t
      08-10-2009 03:57 AM #66
      I found a cleaner wax after a clay gave my car an awesome smooth feel, it came in the Meguiars Smooth Surface kit I bought. But NXT 2.0 is the best 'off the shelf' wax you can get!
      Was it your first time clay barring? cause then I'd do the cleaner wax, to help remove more contaminents. If you've done it a few times, I'd use NXT

32. 08-10-2009 12:15 PM #67
      I would purchase the Meguiar's Deep Crystal Step 1 Paint Cleaner.

Apply and remove the paint cleaner.

Then, apply NXT 2.0.

That will give you good looks and better durability vs just using the cleaner wax.

33. 08-10-2009 01:39 PM #68
      just wanted to say thanks for this! Been reading this detailing forum while im at work(shh!!) and have found a ton of usefull information!

im a basic home "car washer" i wouldnt considering myself a detailer yet. I have some tools of the trade, but not a pro by any means. Alot of great advice in this thread, and others.

34. 08-11-2009 05:14 PM #69
      ^^^ agree. Amateur here, but have been reading non-stop ever since purchasing my own car. glad it happened to be an audi. will never make mistakes like i used to with backyard washing. Have begun using a few tools of the trade. purchased my first clay kit and did just the hood of my car. waiting for a good weekend day to do the whole car and then wax.

Keep up the great info everyone and thank you so much for contributing to this forum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast