Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DIY Fuel Injector Replacement ( replace fuel injectors ) MKIV 1.8t VR6

Vehicles
      2010 Wolfsburg Jetta MKVI 2.0T and 2010 4dr Golf
      08-11-2007 05:35 AM #1
      Hello All! I recently had to replace a fuel injector and could not for the life of me find a DIY on this admittedly fairly simple procedure. I got a little help here from folks but it would have been nice to have a simple, easy to find via search, photographic guide to the process along with some tips. So I created this little DIY. Hope you enjoy those of you who have found this with search, as you can see I made the title as search friendly as I could. Thanks!

Note: I cannot be held responsible if something goes wrong during the performance of this procedure. I have done my best to make it as accurate as possible, but there may be some mistakes. Please use your head!

Note: The Fuel lines are under pressure, this means that you will get some spitting/jetting when you remove some of these hoses, wear gloves if your car is hot and I recommend goggles if you're one of those "have to be right up close to looker" people.

Note The injection system is electronically controlled, DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY FOOL Nuff said.

Ok that being said, along to the instructions!

First a tool list:

The list is fairly simple:
      1. 8NM driver or positive socket, like a big hex.
      2. Needle Nose Pliers
      3. Flathead Screwdriver
      4. Injector(s)
      5. New O-Rings (optional, not shown)
      6. Gloves (optional, not shown)
      7. Magnetic screw picker upper for when you drop your retaining clip into the engine (optional, probably just me)
      8. Beer (not optional after the above incident sets you back an hour)

The injector types for the 1.8t are as follows:
      Fuel Injectors
      # 06A 906 031 S (AWD, 317.46cc/min@45psi, 369cc/min@60psi)
      # 06A 906 031 AB (APH, 281.78cc/min@45psi)
      # ??? ??? ??? ?? (AMB, 281cc@45psi, 324.84cc@60psi)
      # 06A 906 031 BA (AWP, 317cc@??psi)

Note I have added that the stock AWP injectors are 317cc. Apparently this is not important to most of the tex, but it was for me as I was replacing a stock part. I got mine from here: http://replacement.autopartswa...=true
      and it was hard to find. maybe I'm just dumb I dunno.

Here is a diagram ripped from Bentley's of what you'll be working with ( i know it's a VR but it's basically the same as the 4 cyls:

1. Squeeze and pull off the spring clips on the fuel delivery and return lines on the left side of the fuel rail. Note, these are the two in front.

2. release the clips holding the engine/injector harness in place with a flathead and a little synchronized pulling. The key is the ones on the bottom of the rail in the back.

3. Remove the Vacuum line from the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the right.

4. Remove the harness plugs from the injectors. Just squeeze the metal pieces to the sides hard and pull up. they are paired on 4 cyls.

5. Unscrew the 8NM bolts that hold the fuel rail on the manifold. There are three of these on VR's one is to the righgt of the FPR I believe. On 4 cyls there are two.

6. Remove the injector harness plug from the mani on the left side of the rail. This is really just to give maneuvering room. I had gloves on because I had just stopped driving and my car was super hot. I do not recommend this. my bad.

7. At this point you can pull the fuel rail up and out, flipping it over to expose the injectors. it takes some tugging, try not to crush the harness while youre at it because that particular part is $897. Then remove the retaining clip from the injector and do not drop it. trust me, don't. I know it seems like fun but just....dont.

8. Remove the injector from the fuel rail by pulling outwards hard and twisting a bit. Be careful because the o-ring you see here is not something you want falling off in there.

9. At this point you should probably replace any o-rings that you notice cracking or hardening on and then grab your new injector, rub some motor oil on the o-rings at either end of it and insert it carefully back into the fuel rail.

10. Then replace the retaining clip on the injectors base near the rail and insert the rail and injectors back into the manifold. Then retrace your steps being careful to reconnect the following items:

1. The Harness connector
      2. FPR vacuum Line
      3. All of the injectors
      4. the in and out fuel lines on the left.
      5. any and all bolts (it's usually easier to do this before step 6.
      6. re-clip the injector harness onto the fuel rail

Now feel free to tip that brew back, do a throttle body adaption and let her purr.

Hope this helps those out there like me. Thanks for listening!

The Trooper:

2. 08-11-2007 10:34 AM #2
      Great Job !!!

Thanks !! I may use it in the future. It is guys like you who make this site worthwhile.

Vehicles
      08-11-2007 11:56 AM #3
      Thanks much, hope it helps!

Vehicles
      08-11-2007 09:32 PM #4
      In hindsight I suppose this should have been posted in the 1.8t tech forums if a mod wants to move it there that would probably be good

5. 11-26-2011 04:26 PM #5
      outstanding thanks dood!

6. 01-14-2014 05:33 PM #6
      Followed your instructions, and changed my injectors in less than an hour. Thank you so much you probably saved me a fortune