VWVortex.com - Coil-overs for a VW fox
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil-overs for a VW fox

1. 08-17-2007 05:32 PM #1
      I am looking and have not been able to find coil-overs for my 1990 VW fox GL. If anyone knows where I can find these for a price that's not extremely expensive PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! Thank you

2. 08-17-2007 05:33 PM #2
      Ask "Ian!". he even lives in Kent.

Vehicles
      13 VT
      08-17-2007 05:53 PM #3
      You can't buy them because they don't exist. You'll have to build them
      I've done several write ups and how to's on them with pics and the works. Ian has also recently delved into the CO land and I'm pretty sure The Brit as well.
      Basically, the recipe consists of some Bilstien Sports (I know I have that in the FAQs), threaded CO sleeves, 3" ID springs of the proper height and weight, and cutting the front perch off of your front strut housing.

4. 08-19-2007 08:12 PM #4
      What do you think of this
      Lowering kit http://www.drivewire.com/perca...&pt=4

5. 08-19-2007 08:39 PM #5
      Last edited by Banned wagon; 06-20-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Vehicles
      85 Ur Quattro, 91 Golf (getting parted), 83 Q Sedan TD, 03 A4 Avant
      08-19-2007 08:45 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by Banned wagon »
      wow neato they say it is a nuespeed lowering kit for the fox for $209
      wonder what springs they use

I'm curious about this too....

7. 08-20-2007 04:18 PM #7
      Edit for FAQ's
      Last edited by Banned wagon; 06-20-2010 at 01:11 PM.

8. 08-21-2007 03:50 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by Banned wagon »
      you should buy some and tell us how they work out?
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

9. 11-14-2007 11:36 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by HiJinx »
      You can't buy them because they don't exist. You'll have to build them
      I've done several write ups and how to's on them with pics and the works. Ian has also recently delved into the CO land and I'm pretty sure The Brit as well.
      Basically, the recipe consists of some Bilstien Sports (I know I have that in the FAQs), threaded CO sleeves, 3" ID springs of the proper height and weight, and cutting the front perch off of your front strut housing.
      Yes, they do exist!

Vehicles
      2002 Audi TT Quattro ALMS
      11-14-2007 11:52 AM #10
      You'll have to build them

"Build them" is such an over-statement--a misrepresentation, really. It's a simple matter of buying a coil over set for any MKI or MKII and doing some minor mods to the front upper spring perch and front strut mounts.
      The front upper perch needs to be honed a little where it fits over the strut shaft. The mounts usually need to have the skirt trimmed to allow them to spin freely.
      Like my Facebook page, Quantum Mechanics, for Audi Fox Quattro progress pics and more.

https://www.facebook.com/VWQuantumMechanics

Vehicles
      13 VT
      11-14-2007 12:10 PM #11
      Ok, you have to compile them.
      It's still building. An easy build, yes, but you still need to cut, assemble, etc.
      Don't neglect replacing the strut bearings with quality units and having a spare set on standby.
      When removing the base spring seat, don't cut though the strut housing like I've seen people do on accident (though I'm not entirely sure how one could be that negligent).
      The spring hats I had had to be machined to fit the top of my front struts, and also around the top to leave room for it to pivot on the strut bearing.
      The rears however are quite simple and intuitive IMO.

Vehicles
      13 VT
      11-14-2007 12:12 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by lucalucaluca »
      Yes, they do exist!

Unless you're shipping them to us for a reasonable amount from down south, then for all intents and purposes, they don't exist.

13. 11-14-2007 12:20 PM #13
      Unless you're shipping them to us for a reasonable amount from down south, then for all intents and purposes, they don't exist.
      Maybe they don´t exist in you local store, but they do exist Sir.

Vehicles
      13 VT
      11-14-2007 12:38 PM #14
      Like I implied, here they don't. as in the US. Unless you're going to send him some, then like I said, for all intents and purposes, they don't exist and he'll be needing to build some if he would like some.
      Yes, go ahead and retort that he could spend more money than is even remotely reasonable to spend and order some from Brazil.
      Look, if you're going to state they exist, then quote location, cost, part name, etc. Just saying 'they exist' for sake of posting is asinine.

15. 11-14-2007 12:57 PM #15
      Like I implied, here they don't. as in the US. Unless you're going to send him some, then like I said, for all intents and purposes, they don't exist and he'll be needing to build some if he would like some.
      Yes, go ahead and retort that he could spend more money than is even remotely reasonable to spend and order some from Brazil.
      Look, if you're going to state they exist, then quote location, cost, part name, etc. Just saying 'they exist' for sake of posting is asinine.
      Kangaroo also doesn´t exist

16. 11-14-2007 01:10 PM #16
      At least there are photos and videos of kangaroos out in the wild. We would all love to see some pics of a coilover kit in the wild.

Vehicles
      13 VT
      11-14-2007 01:12 PM #17

Exactly as I suspected. You really have nothing useful to bring here. Scurry away now please.

11-14-2007 02:08 PM #18

Then what did I eat for dinner last night? I't better not have been another Koala...those ****ers taste like cough drops. Next I suppose the Fox fourm will tell me that BigFoot is not real. Not real? Then what got my dog pregnant? I saw it. I had to beat the big ape off of her with a broom and turn the hose on em' both. Now I'm gonna have half dingo, half pit bull and half BigFoot puppies. 150% nasty.( The extra 50% is possible due to the involvment of interspecies kryptozoological rape) Try giving those away at the grocery store entrance.
      Oh....
      Since no retailer in Brazil is willing or able to bother to take the time to talk to us.... No coilovers for the Fox exist. Period. Its 105% DIY up here. Besides, even if they did wnat to sell to us, they would demand payment in Euros or Turkish Lira or somthing worth more than the $.

Modified by BillLeBob at 7:35 PM 11-14-2007

Vehicles
      85 Ur Quattro, 91 Golf (getting parted), 83 Q Sedan TD, 03 A4 Avant
      11-14-2007 04:52 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by BillLeBob »
      Oh alright. The Pound. Is the pound backed by anything or is it based on twinkies or sacks of dog poop in reserve like the USD?

Ouch

Vehicles
      11-14-2007 09:25 PM #20
      Ok, you have to compile them.

Let's agree on "assemble." They must be assembled onto the car, but the same is true of a Shine set for a Rabbit. There's some trimming here and there.
      It's frustrating to see Fox owners get so self-congratulatory over trimming 1" off a coil over sleeve and calling it "fabrication," so I am a bit sensitive to these things. Half the time I hear something like this, I wonder how many potential Foxers are sent running in fear because they think something is difficult when it is actually quite simple.
      Like my Facebook page, Quantum Mechanics, for Audi Fox Quattro progress pics and more.

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      11-14-2007 10:16 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by DubbinChris »
      Ouch

No ouch about it. How you checked the exchange rate recently? Looke at the companies listing on the FTSE, or seen where 'China' is putting more and more money?
      Sucks that I'm earning measly US dollars now
      | œ Orchid Euro Importation œ |

Currently driving or working on too many cars...
      | '93 Fox 16v - PVW | '99 Greenland Polo Diesel | '89 Rallye Golf | '83 Golf GTi RHD | '75 Swallowtail |
      | '82 Caddy 1.9D | '85 VW LT Car Transporter | Mk2 Jetta Limo | '90 Jetta 8V | '96 VW LT35D | '03 SpintLT35 | '02 GTI 337 | '03 GTI 20v |
      | '09 Aprilia RS125 | '81 Kawasaki AR80 | '59 NSU Quickly | '64 Honda Cub C65 + '65 C105 | Trek Emonda SLR9 | Trek Crockett 9 |

Vehicles
      73 Superbeetle. 84 BMW 318i
      11-15-2007 01:33 AM #22
      NEUSPEED LOWERING KIT
      Brand: NEUSPEED
      Availability: Special Order Item. Please call 800.895.8910 for ordering details. All Special Order Parts are NON-REFUNDABLE.
      Your Price: $209.30
      Retail Price: 243.70
      Click to enlarge
      Dimentions:
      Height: 6in Width: 6in Length: 28in
      Description:
      SP-SPRG KIT FOX 87-93 . For more information on this product, please call one of our expert sales associates at (800) 895-8910
      raddo fronts and rabbit rears but I don't think you can get tham anymore

Vehicles
      13 VT
      11-15-2007 11:42 AM #23
      Quote, originally posted by Longitudinal »
      It's frustrating to see Fox owners get so self-congratulatory over trimming 1" off a coil over sleeve and calling it "fabrication," so I am a bit sensitive to these things. Half the time I hear something like this, I wonder how many potential Foxers are sent running in fear because they think something is difficult when it is actually quite simple.

Who's trimming a coil over sleeve?
      Who mentioned fabrication?
      It's also crappy to tell someone they can buy a sleeve 'n spring kit and that they can do it with their eyes closed. I'm not patting myself on the back by any means if you're implying that Jonathan.
      But, it's far from 'assembly'. I makes me question of you're actually aware of what is involved in getting the front COs setup. You do know the lower factory spring perch needs to be removed completely right among other things? (not saying it's hard, but just don't know if you know that or not)
      Comparing the Shine COs for a Rabbit, and the setup for a Fox is not even close to the same as I've done both.
      So, due to the somewhat tricky removal of the lower spring perch, and machining of the spring hats, I will absolutely not agree on 'assemble'.
      It's not a plug 'n play set up. I'm sorry. I wish it was, but it's not and to tell someone otherwise it's just mean.

Modified by HiJinx at 8:48 AM 11-15-2007

Vehicles
      11-15-2007 12:10 PM #24
      I makes me question of you're actually aware of what is involved in getting the front COs setup. You do know the lower factory spring perch needs to be removed completely right among other things?

Bart, you know of at least two of the five Foxes I have converted to coil overs, so how could you ask if I know the perches have to be removed? And how does cutting constitute building? The exact same thing must be done even to the car on which the coil over set was intended to go, a Rabbit for example. It's simply part of the job of installing coil overs. MANY race parts are not direct fits even on the cars for which they are built. The supplier builds the coil overs and the user installs or assembles them, doing what he must to do get the job done.
      Shine sleeves need to be cut about an inch to fit between the steering arm and the nut that retains the strut insert. The front perches need to be trimmed a bit, which any ape armed with a Dremel or die grinder can be trained to do.
      People (not you in this particular case) use words "custom" and "fabricate" WAAY too liberally when they actually should use words like "cut," "hack," "bend" or "hammer."
      Assemble: "To fit or join together the parts of."
      "Build" connotes constructing from materials (un-cut wood, metal stock, etc.,) not putting parts together in a pre-ordered way.

Vehicles
      13 VT
      11-15-2007 12:30 PM #25
      Tomato tomato.
      I still think telling someone that's never done anything like this or is new to the whole thing, that they just need to be 'assembled' is still misleading, albeit one could get into a definition war, in plain English, you'll surely have to agree that 'assembly' leads people to think they just need to slide A into B.
      Our readers get the point. So you and I will have to agree to disagree since we're simply arguing over the terminology and not the method.

Modified by HiJinx at 9:33 AM 11-15-2007

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast