Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 101 of 179 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151 ... LastLast
    Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 4467

Thread: Best New Beer You've Tried Recently?

01-26-2011 01:58 PM #2501
      had some of this years Bells Hopslam last night. Was always a big fan...but I remember it being better. Doesn't live up to the hype..at least not in comparison to other midwest beers available these days. Plus..at $17 a sixer...I can get almost two sixers of excellent beer.
      Its not bad..and its pretty damn strong..but it just kind of left me with a meh feeling this year. Several friends I've spoken to feel the same way...
      MADSPEED

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '88 Jetta | '13 135is | '10 Clubman S | '94 Ranger
      01-26-2011 02:55 PM #2502
      Quote Originally Posted by MrTopher View Post
      Pike makes some good IPAs, I had a few at the pub in Seattle. I liked the Pike IPA on cask the most!
      And I'm too far south to help you out with Hopworks beers, sorry.
      Yeah I'm impressed. I'll have to try the others next time I see them.

No worries

Quote Originally Posted by kweetech View Post
      had some of this years Bells Hopslam last night. Was always a big fan...but I remember it being better. Doesn't live up to the hype..at least not in comparison to other midwest beers available these days. Plus..at $17 a sixer...I can get almost two sixers of excellent beer.
      Its not bad..and its pretty damn strong..but it just kind of left me with a meh feeling this year. Several friends I've spoken to feel the same way...
      Hmm. I've been looking for some to pick up but everyone's been sold out. Hope it's worth it.

01-26-2011 04:01 PM #2503
      Quote Originally Posted by odj View Post

Hmm. I've been looking for some to pick up but everyone's been sold out. Hope it's worth it.
      we've got tons of it around here....store I was in the other day had many cases just in their display. Its worth buying, and it is good...I'm just not buying multiple six packs this year..as I have in the past.
      MADSPEED

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Tacoma
      01-26-2011 04:26 PM #2504
      $17/sixer seems outrageous to me.

I'll pass
      FS: Oettinger Type E 16 x 7.5, 5 x 100 with all 4 center caps. Perfect shape. Located in San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      I don't want the butt herp on my schwantz either.

5. Member
      01-26-2011 07:29 PM #2505
      Yeah, it's pricey for sure but Stone Ruination is about the same, and Sculpin is outrageous too.

I only traded for 1 6pk of Hopslam this year (passed on it in years past). It's good, but doesn't live up to the hype (it has a lot of hype to live up to). Compared with other DIPAs, I can taste the alcohol in this too much (most recently, Founders Double Trouble seems to hide its 9.4 abv very well). I would also expect more of a punch in the face in the aroma dept.

01-26-2011 08:39 PM #2506
      for midwest DIPA's...I think Great Lakes Erie Monster is my fave...
      lately I've been drinking Ale Asylum Ballistic..little more subtle on the abv, and plenty of Amarillo...very well balanced. Damn good
      MADSPEED

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Tacoma
      01-26-2011 10:00 PM #2507
      Quote Originally Posted by phingding View Post
      Yeah, it's pricey for sure but Stone Ruination is about the same, and Sculpin is outrageous too.
      Ruination and Sculpin are pricey here in San Diego too, but they're also readily available on tap so I just drink them that way.
      FS: Oettinger Type E 16 x 7.5, 5 x 100 with all 4 center caps. Perfect shape. Located in San Diego

8. Member
      01-26-2011 10:40 PM #2508
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
      Ruination and Sculpin are pricey here in San Diego too, but they're also readily available on tap so I just drink them that way.
      Very nice. That's the way to do it.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      01-27-2011 12:40 AM #2509
      Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
      anyone willing to ship some dogfish head i can't get in WI want to ship some to me?

looking for a:

Black and Blue

Fort

I would have to drive to Indiana to get some or pay for the shipping from like florida....
      I can take a look at my local place here in GB. Where are you located?

$17/sixer seems outrageous to me.

I'll pass
      $6 a pint in Milwaukee bars. Never bought a sixer.

10. 01-27-2011 11:23 AM #2510

I only traded for 1 6pk of Hopslam this year (passed on it in years past). It's good, but doesn't live up to the hype (it has a lot of hype to live up to). Compared with other DIPAs, I can taste the alcohol in this too much (most recently, Founders Double Trouble seems to hide its 9.4 abv very well). I would also expect more of a punch in the face in the aroma dept.
      I have some Hopslam and Double Trouble headed my way, should be here tomorrow or Saturday. I'll report back with my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by kweetech
      for midwest DIPA's...I think Great Lakes Erie Monster is my fave...
      I've only had this once, and the one time I had it I was blown away, this is an AWESOME Midwest DIPA, I think its very well balanced between the malt and the hop, it had a little burn, but it was a good burn. This is some top notch stuff, IMO.

Another good DIPA that I enjoyed was New Holland Imperial Hatter, this was a lot like the Erie Monster, but maybe a touch more malty. But it was great!

Also mind you I've only had each of these beers once and both were bottle not draft.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32, S4
      01-27-2011 05:08 PM #2511
      have a bottle of this chilling right now:

local place had Hopslam for $14.99 a sixer, five dollars cheaper than the other places i frequent. i'm not a fan of incredibly hoppy beers, but if someone is interested and can't get it, PM me if anyone wants a trade.

finished that Sopie. really good, light, creamy, tasty. definitely unfiltered(?) with all the sediment floating around.
      Last edited by n0rdicalex.; 01-28-2011 at 12:10 AM.
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      01-31-2011 10:52 AM #2512
      The Long Trail Brewery has this year's Triple Bag and Coffee Stout on tap. I bought a half dozen 22 oz bottles of coffee stout yesterday. The Triple Bag isn't available yet in bottles. I've heard they are jacking up the price of the Triple Bag bottles.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '88 Jetta | '13 135is | '10 Clubman S | '94 Ranger
      01-31-2011 11:30 AM #2513
      Picked up some Bell's HopSlam this weekend. $22 a sixer! ugh.

I have to say, that's some pretty nice tasting beer. The aftertaste is wonderful. Hints of honey, slightly oily but not at all unpleasant mouthfeel.

14. 01-31-2011 02:06 PM #2514
      So Friday night I did a back to back not side by side tasting of Bells Hopslam (1st) and Founders Double Trouble (2nd). And I have to agree with all the hype of Hopslam, this beer is what people make it out to be. An awesome Imperial IPA, and I think it could go toe to toe with PtE and could win. But then again I also have Alpine Purehoppiness in my heart I still think that’s better also.
      Of the Double Trouble, I think I like this one better than the Hopslam, like it was said above there is a lot of alcohol burn in the Hopslam, but its not a bad burn just a burn. I think it’s more masked into the Double Trouble.
      I don’t think you can go wrong with either of these Imperials, they both are homeruns, and you just have to like/appreciate/respect hops.
      Sometime this week I am going to do a side by side, and post reviews on BA.

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Tacoma
      01-31-2011 02:20 PM #2515
      Alpine Pure Hoppiness or Alpine Exponential Hoppiness?

I think Expo is the Alpine beer that should be compared to Hop Slam and PtY

16. 01-31-2011 02:52 PM #2516
      Alpine Pure Hoppiness or Alpine Exponential Hoppiness?

I think Expo is the Alpine beer that should be compared to Hop Slam and PtY
      I haven't had Expo, I miss it everytime it gets released. I guess if we're going abv then those three should be compared. Make that 4 cause Double Trouble is up there at 9.40%.

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Tacoma
      01-31-2011 03:04 PM #2517
      Expo is 11.25% and PtY is up there around 11% too. I'd think 9.4% would be a DIPA. Alpine's Bad Boy is 9.25% and we all consider it a double.

01-31-2011 04:05 PM #2518
      Quote Originally Posted by MrTopher View Post
      So Friday night I did a back to back not side by side tasting of Bells Hopslam (1st) and Founders Double Trouble (2nd). And I have to agree with all the hype of Hopslam, this beer is what people make it out to be. An awesome Imperial IPA, and I think it could go toe to toe with PtE and could win. But then again I also have Alpine Purehoppiness in my heart I still think that’s better also.
      Of the Double Trouble, I think I like this one better than the Hopslam, like it was said above there is a lot of alcohol burn in the Hopslam, but its not a bad burn just a burn. I think it’s more masked into the Double Trouble.
      I don’t think you can go wrong with either of these Imperials, they both are homeruns, and you just have to like/appreciate/respect hops.
      Sometime this week I am going to do a side by side, and post reviews on BA.
      I have to find some Double Trouble around here, and the Imperial Hatter from New Holland.

I just thought this year..to me, the hops assertiveness of the hopslam wasn't quite there, which you may notice in the alcohol burn, which I noticed more of...maybe a little bit of age will take the burn down a bit, as I always thought it was perfectly balanced in alcohol/hoppiness...which it made it a dangerously drinkable beer.
      Maybe I'm just nitpicking..because it is still a great beer. I just remember it being better....

I wish the Erie Monster was out now to compare as well. I thought of it as a slightly scaled back (all malt?) version of hopslam...de-lish.

need to put some 3F's Dreadnaught in that comparison as well...
      MADSPEED

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      01-31-2011 04:28 PM #2519
      Ah hops. Love em! I had a KRBC Just Outstanding this weekend and it was better than the last one I had that Topher sent a while back.

Also had a Yakima Glory, it tasted the same as Yakima Twilight but I guess they changed the name? Still good. Also had my new long distance stand by Daisy Cutter from Half Acre along with a Cain and Ebel from Two Brothers.

And if you guys ever come to TX and it is this time of year, do yourself a favor and seek out some Live Oak Brewing Primus Weizenbock. It is fantastic!
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      '84 GLI, '12 GTI
      01-31-2011 05:42 PM #2520
      Quote Originally Posted by leitmotif View Post
      Ah hops. Love em! I had a KRBC Just Outstanding this weekend and it was better than the last one I had that Topher sent a while back.

Also had a Yakima Glory, it tasted the same as Yakima Twilight but I guess they changed the name? Still good. Also had my new long distance stand by Daisy Cutter from Half Acre along with a Cain and Ebel from Two Brothers.

And if you guys ever come to TX and it is this time of year, do yourself a favor and seek out some Live Oak Brewing Primus Weizenbock. It is fantastic!
      yakima glory is yakima twilight

21. Member
      01-31-2011 07:59 PM #2521
      I'm not drinking it now, but I will be in about a month. Got a couple winning tickets for some bottles of Kate the Great RIS.

Last edited by phingding; 01-31-2011 at 08:35 PM.

22. 02-01-2011 11:09 AM #2522
      I'm not drinking it now, but I will be in about a month. Got a couple winning tickets for some bottles of Kate the Great RIS.

Lucky guy! That is a whale of a beer!

23. Member
      Vehicles
      crappy nissans for days...
      02-01-2011 06:13 PM #2523
      I just accepted a job back in Salt Lake City, I've lived there before and know the beer scene... but god damn I'm going to miss San Diego beer.

Speaking of Kern River Brewing, I'm not sure I showed enough love to those guys during last SD Beer week. We had 6 of their beers on draft and they were all killer. Their Citra IPA might be the best IPA I've had in the last 2 years, this includes all the usual SD and Cali IPA's.
      Last edited by nmap; 02-01-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Vehicles
      2006 WRX Wagon
      02-02-2011 12:23 PM #2524
      Going through this thread, so much beer. I am kinda 'whelmed by all the choice out there that I have yet to try. I got time though. Pretty much started seriously drinking beer last year and discovered that I love anything hoppy, especially IPA's. My favorite IPA is the Hop Czar from Brideport. Another fave is the Ranger from New Belgium. And whenever I am at a new bar, I usually get the IPA thats on tap.

Any recommendations for some good hoppy beers? IPA's? Stuff that I can find here in the Seattle area?

I will be going back through this thread and just drool over the other beers posted in here.
      Got any hoppy beers to recommend? PM me.

Press in dire situations: http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

25. 02-02-2011 03:27 PM #2525
      Quote Originally Posted by klaxed View Post
      Going through this thread, so much beer. I am kinda 'whelmed by all the choice out there that I have yet to try. I got time though. Pretty much started seriously drinking beer last year and discovered that I love anything hoppy, especially IPA's. My favorite IPA is the Hop Czar from Brideport. Another fave is the Ranger from New Belgium. And whenever I am at a new bar, I usually get the IPA thats on tap.

Any recommendations for some good hoppy beers? IPA's? Stuff that I can find here in the Seattle area?

I will be going back through this thread and just drool over the other beers posted in here.
      You live in Seattle and you have questions about IPAs? One word, PIKE!
      Head over to Pike Brewing in Pike Place and try all of the IPAs they make, and they make quiet a few.
      And they usually have one one cask all the time, this is a must to try. I love Pike, the make awesome stuff.

Also check into the Deschutes, they have some decent seasonal hop beers: Hop Henge, Red Chair (hoppy pale), Hop Trip (another hoppy pale), Hop in the Dark.

Also Lagunitas Hop Stoopid, that should be easy to find in WA.

Page 101 of 179 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151 ... LastLast