Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 101 of 126 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast
    Results 3,501 to 3,535 of 4409

Thread: Best New Beer You've Tried Recently?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '88 Jetta | '13 135is | '10 Clubman S | '88 Ranger
      03-24-2012 09:46 PM #3501
      While this is probably not nearly as exciting as the above post (congrats!), I have to say that I've not been as excited about a beer as this in a LONG time. It's pure f*cking deliciousness. Cocoa & coffee are perfectly balanced, and the whiskey finish adds a wonderful character to the end of the taste that does not overpower or linger too long (as I would expect it to).

I had my first bottle a couple weeks ago, and went back and bought six more. Aging two, gifting one, drinking my third as I type. I'll probably go back and get a case to forget about for a few months.
      Dirtbox Radio Drum & Bass
      Ellen the Jetta Reba the Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Jamez View Post
      You might think you'll be fine if you don't do anything wrong but remember : you are not the one deciding what is right or wrong.

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      03-24-2012 09:59 PM #3502
      Pleasantly surprised.

Don't like something? Report it. We can't be everywhere at all times.

Vehicles
      1967 AMC Rambler American
      03-25-2012 04:29 PM #3503
      Quote Originally Posted by odj View Post
      While this is probably not nearly as exciting as the above post (congrats!), I have to say that I've not been as excited about a beer as this in a LONG time. It's pure f*cking deliciousness. Cocoa & coffee are perfectly balanced, and the whiskey finish adds a wonderful character to the end of the taste that does not overpower or linger too long (as I would expect it to).

I had my first bottle a couple weeks ago, and went back and bought six more. Aging two, gifting one, drinking my third as I type. I'll probably go back and get a case to forget about for a few months.
      I have a bottle of that in the fridge (which you probably saw if you saw my "cellar" post) and yeah, good stuff. Can't say I'm quite as enamored with it as you are, but I'm not a big coffee drinker. I've never actually had it out of a bottle, just on tap four or five times. My bottle is about three months old at this point, but I intend to hold onto it for a while. I actually sent a bottle of it off to Seattle and another out to California, too, as part of trades. Didn't realize it was making it out that far east now.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      03-25-2012 09:55 PM #3504
      Have been drinking mostly RISs for the last 2 years! Almost done with that journey I think. Only a few more on my list.

Have had DOZENS of different ones but these are most recent (last couple months)....

My favorite:

Got a ton of stuff from MA in trade as well. Mostly from DFH but some others also....

Last edited by Shawn O; 03-25-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Vehicles
      '07 BMW 335i
      03-26-2012 03:00 PM #3505
      Some good ones from recent months:

Pretty Things Baby Tree Quad -- The label art kicks ass.
      Southern Tier Choklat
      Southern Tier 2X Stout (milk stout)
      Southern Tier Oat
      Green Flash Imperial IPA
      Bell's Hopslam (fresh) -- Apparently, this one doesn't age very well, at least from what I've heard. I've only been able to get a couple of fresh bottles from friends.
      Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA
      Oddfellows Local 726

Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG Candy White, 2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) / 2011 JSW TDI 97 Jetta GT & 91 Passat wag
      03-26-2012 03:33 PM #3506
      Quote Originally Posted by Max Rebo View Post
      Bell's Hopslam (fresh) -- Apparently, this one doesn't age very well, at least from what I've heard. I've only been able to get a couple of fresh bottles from friends.
      Good to know, as I have 3 bottles left...
      2013 JSW TDI, Nav, Kessy - White, Pano roof, Canvas Back dog/cargo liner
      13% tint, 30% on Pano, rear spoiler, mud guards.
      Replaced - Trouble free 2011 Sportwagen TDi Salsa Red. Oo>=====v=====<oO/
      2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) Corsa Blue - 13% Tint, LED interior lighting, "Big Boy" horn, T badge. BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2

Vehicles
      03-26-2012 09:12 PM #3507
      Well, Hopslam is an IPA and a big, hoppy one. With a beer like that, you really shouldn't ever age it and the fresher you drink it, the better. There are VERY few exceptions to this, but it's pretty important, IMO. That being said, Hopslam will hold up a little better than most due to being high ABV and sweetened with honey. Still, I'd drink them. Sooner rather than later, too.

Vehicles
      03-26-2012 09:24 PM #3508
      Quote Originally Posted by Shawn O View Post
      Have been drinking mostly RISs for the last 2 years! Almost done with that journey I think. Only a few more on my list.

Have had DOZENS of different ones but these are most recent (last couple months)....
      My favorite:
      Founder's Imperial Stout

Got a ton of stuff from MA in trade as well. Mostly from DFH but some others also....
      Wow, a lot of the big hitters there. Many I've heard of, but haven't had. I'll have to seek out some of Founder's big, dark beers next time I'm out there. I've only had their more hoppy stuff. As for the DFH stuff, is that a WWS with a non-green cap?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      03-26-2012 09:40 PM #3509
      One bottle of WWS. Never head of it. Got a bottle of the Olde School barleywine and 120min also in the group.

Vehicles
      03-26-2012 10:21 PM #3510
      You've had all of those big, renowned stouts and you've never heard of World Wide Stout? That kind of shocks me, honestly. I find it surprisingly smooth for ~18% ABV.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      03-27-2012 03:50 PM #3511

idk it was ok. call me crazy but i find that most of SN's beers taste very similar. iv even had a homebrew version of their pale ale and i thought it was much better

i really liked this as a shower beer

probably going to be my new summer go to beer. i should probably pick up another 12 pack as the grocery store i work at has a decent sale for it right now

Vehicles
      2014 Ford Fusion w/ 3 pedals, 2014 Ford Escape
      03-27-2012 04:18 PM #3512
      Atwater is putting out some decent stuff these days.

The arrival of Oberon season is always a good thing. I can remember going down to the brewery back in college on the release day and it was always a blast. If you like the Oberon, give the Whitsun Ale from Arcadia Brewing Company (Battle Creek) a shot. I don't know if I like it *as* much but it's definitely solid.
      Quote Originally Posted by BarryV1
      Scene points are kind of like bitcoins... They really carry no value outside of the internet.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      03-27-2012 04:22 PM #3513
      i tried white sun last summer. from what i remember i really liked it. i did kill the sixxer in a sitting which is usually a good sign.

another one i had a couple of weeks ago was new glarus' raspberry tart. hardly tastes like beer, but in a good way. i wish they ditributed here cus i would like to try more of their stuff.

Vehicles
      mine :: mk6 gti & mk3 morris mini :: his :: mk2 gti aba-t & mk4 gti vr6 :: ours :: mk1 cabby
      03-27-2012 05:01 PM #3514
      got two of these in the mail yesterday

Vehicles
      (OoO)
      03-27-2012 07:38 PM #3515
      I enjoyed Aprihop

Tweasonale is

It was like drinking a Michelob Ultra light with a little strawberry

Vehicles
      2003 1.8 Tango
      03-27-2012 07:54 PM #3516
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      I enjoyed Aprihop

S'truth, Aprihop is the only fruity beer I like, although the Raison d'etre isn't half bad either. Of course, DFH is just down the way from me, so I consider them my local. (My friend Rich does most of their electrical work, they usually kick him a sixer of whatever, just as a bonus.)

As to previous posts, i.e. "Trade me some 120 Minute" how does one send beer? I mean, if you put beers in a box and give it to the Fed-UPS guy doesn't it invariably get shaken up and ruined in transit? Just curious.
      -= DelDubs =-

Vehicles
      03-27-2012 08:55 PM #3517
      Quote Originally Posted by Karmanniac View Post
      S'truth, Aprihop is the only fruity beer I like, although the Raison d'etre isn't half bad either. Of course, DFH is just down the way from me, so I consider them my local. (My friend Rich does most of their electrical work, they usually kick him a sixer of whatever, just as a bonus.)

As to previous posts, i.e. "Trade me some 120 Minute" how does one send beer? I mean, if you put beers in a box and give it to the Fed-UPS guy doesn't it invariably get shaken up and ruined in transit? Just curious.
      I just had Aprihop for the first time earlier today and, honestly, not a fan. It isn't BAD, but the apricot flavors don't do much for me, and I usually like fruity IPAs. Definitely not the best fruit beer I've had, personally. I know it's highly rated, but just not my taste, I guess. I enjoyed the fruit beers I've had from New Glarus and that Ommegang Aphrodite much more. But everyone's tongue is different.

As for mailing/trading, it really isn't going to hurt the beer much. You just have to let it sit for a day or so before pouring it. At least, with bottle condition beers and such where you want to let things settle and leave the sediment out.
      Last edited by pat_ernzen; 03-27-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Vehicles
      03-27-2012 09:14 PM #3518
      Here's the stuff I've been drinking lately.

Not crazy about this one, honestly. Wasn't bad, but was a little let down. Not too different from the More Brown Than Black, but I really preferred the MBTB.

This, I really enjoyed. Always a fan of a big, hoppy red and, as usual, Lagunitas didn't disappoint. Slowly working my way through basically all of Lagunitas' bottled beers.

Wow... at first, I didn't think this was that bitter or intense, but the more I drink it, the more I realize I was wrong. Honestly, much more bitter and it wouldn't be very drinkable at all. That being said, I'd drink it again for sure. Didn't really feel that way about Drake's Denoggonizer. Picked up another bottle today and plan to drink it tomorrow on my birthday. Why makes me wonder, what's the most intensely hoppy and bitter beer you've had?

Had this once, but it's been a bit. Definitely a real solid IPA, like just about everything New Glarus does.

Never heard of this and didn't have REAL high hopes, but it wasn't great. Kind of an off flavor to it that I couldn't put my finger on. Not a horrible beer by any means, though, and I'm happy to have tried it. Especially being from a brewery I've never even heard of.

Already covered this.

I've had this a few times (maybe six bottles total) and have always liked it. One of my favorite pale ales and tons of flavor for being relatively low ABV. That being said, I don't know if it was my glass or the age of this bottle or my palate changing something, but it wasn't quite as good as I remember. Had almost a bit of a lager taste too it, like I could taste the grain. Still very good, even with that, though.

Drinking this right now and it's solid. I'd say I've certainly had better milk/sweet stouts, but it's a very good beer. Like that Whole Hog IPA, though, I'm very happy to have been able to try it as, again, never even heard of these guys. Oh, and did I mention it was free?

03-27-2012 09:55 PM #3519
      If the Moon Man isn't really fresh..its not nearly as good. Super fresh is light apa perfection...aged a bit is still solid, but missing that awesomeness.

Point Brewing is more well known for Point Special..a canned lager. I used to drink a ton of it (went to the UW in Stevens Point). The "whole hog" series is their attempt at "specialty craft brewing". They don't make terrible beer...plus they are one of the longest continuously operating breweries in the US.
      The odd taste is probably the water WI River water...multiple cycled through paper companies
      MADSPEED

20. 03-27-2012 10:44 PM #3520
      been on a terrapin kick lately, just picked up a case of hopsecutioner which is delicious as i'm just about done with my case of moohoo

Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      03-27-2012 11:02 PM #3521
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      Atwater is putting out some decent stuff these days.

The arrival of Oberon season is always a good thing. I can remember going down to the brewery back in college on the release day and it was always a blast. If you like the Oberon, give the Whitsun Ale from Arcadia Brewing Company (Battle Creek) a shot. I don't know if I like it *as* much but it's definitely solid.
      I don't even like Oberon that much, but I still went and picked up my annual sixer today

I saw something somewhere about Whitsun coming out in cans sometime this summer. Vague? Yes. The possibility of convenient drinking? Yes.

Vehicles
      2014 Ford Fusion w/ 3 pedals, 2014 Ford Escape
      03-27-2012 11:50 PM #3522
      Quote Originally Posted by FBMphil View Post
      I don't even like Oberon that much, but I still went and picked up my annual sixer today
      I don't drink Oberon as much as I used to... there's too many other good Michigan beers for me drink (not to mention the other stuff we get around here from around the country).

Quote Originally Posted by FBMphil View Post
      I saw something somewhere about Whitsun coming out in cans sometime this summer. Vague? Yes. The possibility of convenient drinking? Yes.
      I'll keep my eyes peeled for those.
      Quote Originally Posted by BarryV1
      Scene points are kind of like bitcoins... They really carry no value outside of the internet.

Vehicles
      2003 1.8 Tango
      03-28-2012 11:45 AM #3523
      Quote Originally Posted by kweetech View Post
      Point Brewing is more well known for Point Special...plus they are one of the longest continuously operating breweries in the US.
      There used to be a comic book called The Badger - the hero had multiple personalities, and only drank Point beer. Not that they're connected...
      -= DelDubs =-

24. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      03-30-2012 11:03 PM #3524
      Ridiculously thick......and tasty I might ad. Need to get more!

04-01-2012 06:36 PM #3525
      Last edited by SSj4G60; 04-02-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Vehicles
      2011 Mazda CX-7, 97 Toyota Tacoma: Shaved and Bagged (sold)
      04-02-2012 05:15 PM #3526

Completely disappointed by this beer from Stone. Too much going on that (to me) it didn't fit the IPA style of beer that I'm used to drinking.

All I could taste was an overtone of bubble gum (go figure) when I drank this, even smelled like it. I absolutely hated it.

Next up are a few bottles of Clown Shoes:

Vehicles
      2003 1.8 Tango
      04-02-2012 08:32 PM #3527
      Had the Lagunitas Red tonight, very nice.
      -= DelDubs =-

Vehicles
      2007 Jetta 2.5L, 2001 GTI VR6 (SOLD), 1996 Golf 2.slow(SOLD)
      04-02-2012 09:59 PM #3528
      Click to see my MK5 thread
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      Whether you make $7 or $30 an hour. Stock or not stock. As long as your parents aren't paying for it you get a beer
      My DIY Mirror polishing Thread

Vehicles
      (OoO)
      04-02-2012 10:08 PM #3529
      Yep, I liked the Sam Adams Tripel ^

I just had this:

It was good, but not great. Rarely available.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      04-02-2012 10:27 PM #3530
      Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter. ****ing amazing, if you like dark beers its worth anything you pay

Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

Vehicles
      mine :: mk6 gti & mk3 morris mini :: his :: mk2 gti aba-t & mk4 gti vr6 :: ours :: mk1 cabby
      04-03-2012 12:38 PM #3531
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTaco View Post

Completely disappointed by this beer from Stone. Too much going on that (to me) it didn't fit the IPA style of beer that I'm used to drinking.

All I could taste was an overtone of bubble gum (go figure) when I drank this, even smelled like it. I absolutely hated it.

Next up are a few bottles of Clown Shoes:

the cali-belgique really shouldn't be classified as a typical IPA... i enjoy it a lot, and i don't really go "ga ga" for stone beers. most of them are "meh".

however if you do like IPA's you will absolutely love hoppy feet. it's amazing, and an excellent black IPA. in my top 5!

Vehicles
      2011 Mazda CX-7, 97 Toyota Tacoma: Shaved and Bagged (sold)
      04-04-2012 05:21 PM #3532
      Quote Originally Posted by thebestever View Post
      the cali-belgique really shouldn't be classified as a typical IPA... i enjoy it a lot, and i don't really go "ga ga" for stone beers. most of them are "meh".

however if you do like IPA's you will absolutely love hoppy feet. it's amazing, and an excellent black IPA. in my top 5!
      I thought the Widmer Bro black IPA is pretty awesome as well. Not sure if you've had that before?

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      04-04-2012 05:35 PM #3533
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTaco View Post
      I thought the Widmer Bro black IPA is pretty awesome as well. Not sure if you've had that before?
      I dig the Widmer BIPA. Was not a fan of Hoppy Feet.

04-04-2012 06:11 PM #3534
      Quote Originally Posted by Shawn O View Post
      had the same in the same exact Brooklyn glass the other day

Vehicles
      (OoO)
      04-04-2012 07:37 PM #3535
      Very good.

A little less yeasty/funky than most Belgian Saisons, but just as good as any of them. Will drink again.

Page 101 of 126 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast