Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 104 of 126 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114 ... LastLast
    Results 3,606 to 3,640 of 4394

Thread: Best New Beer You've Tried Recently?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      64 continental convertible. mobsteel/airlift.
      05-17-2012 02:18 PM #3606
      i want a bottle of that
      elitistchicks

Quote Originally Posted by ajd187 View Post
      Buncha queers in this thread.

Vehicles
      mine :: mk6 gti & mk3 morris mini :: his :: mk2 gti aba-t & mk4 gti vr6 :: ours :: mk1 cabby
      05-18-2012 11:00 AM #3607
      i head over to the dfh brewpub every year while at h2o, it's only like a 35 minute drive... and then i purchase oodles of their jin and other flavored vodkas... unfortunately their flavored vodkas have declined in deliciousness over the years. i would only recommend the rum and jin now.

Vehicles
      2011 Mazda CX-7, 97 Toyota Tacoma: Shaved and Bagged (sold)
      05-18-2012 01:35 PM #3608
      Quote Originally Posted by thebestever View Post
      i head over to the dfh brewpub every year while at h2o, it's only like a 35 minute drive... and then i purchase oodles of their jin and other flavored vodkas... unfortunately their flavored vodkas have declined in deliciousness over the years. i would only recommend the rum and jin now.
      TBH I love gin and I'm finding it hard to enjoy the DFH jin. What's really offsetting the taste is the hops. I think they're great for beer, but not so much for a clear alcohol. The hops just seem to over power the juniper/citris undertones that I enjoy from most gins.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      64 continental convertible. mobsteel/airlift.
      05-18-2012 01:51 PM #3609
      Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTaco View Post
      TBH I love gin and I'm finding it hard to enjoy the DFH jin. What's really offsetting the taste is the hops. I think they're great for beer, but not so much for a clear alcohol. The hops just seem to over power the juniper/citris undertones that I enjoy from most gins.

dammit
      elitistchicks

Quote Originally Posted by ajd187 View Post
      Buncha queers in this thread.

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      05-18-2012 10:28 PM #3610
      Had some Life and Limb and Ovila Quad tonight. Plus it was keep the glass night. Life and Limb is awesome every time.

Vehicles
      '98 L36 Regal
      05-18-2012 10:28 PM #3611
      Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale

Cool-looking bottle, smooth beer. Can't really taste the bacon but definitely has a taste like no other beer like I've ever tasted. It's got kind of a sweet taste to it, kinda hard to describe.
      "Sometimes wrong is worth the funny." - Billy Gardell

Vehicles
      1967 AMC Rambler American
      05-19-2012 07:16 PM #3612
      This is my little haul. Not much, but I didn't have much space and didn't have much time.

One of the Black Phoenix bottles is for my brother, though. Passed on HotD Adam, Fred, RR Redemption, Damnation, Sanctification and others... which contributes to the bad part. Went to drink the HopDevil just a bit ago, an IPA I've been wanting to try for a long time and it didn't go so well. Took one sip and knew something was off. Checked the best by date and I misread it... Turns out it says "Enjoy by July 10 2011". Took another sip and poured it down the drain. Should've noticed that, but didn't expect a place like that to have a year old hop-forward IPA on the shelf and was in a rush. Annoys me, but especially since I passed on others by buying that bottle.

Oh well, the others should be good.
      Last edited by pat_ernzen; 07-15-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Vehicles
      mine :: mk6 gti & mk3 morris mini :: his :: mk2 gti aba-t & mk4 gti vr6 :: ours :: mk1 cabby
      05-21-2012 08:56 AM #3613
      if you want i can get you fresh hop devil, it's plentiful here... just let me know! also, i am a huge fan of bootleggers, that looks tasty. nice choice!

and fwiw, i love pliny, but it's totally overrated. i love blind pig more, and then happy hops was stellar... i do believe that heady topper is better than pliny as well.

Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      05-21-2012 09:01 AM #3614
      I always enjoy Hop Devil

Vehicles
      05-21-2012 02:16 PM #3615
      if you want i can get you fresh hop devil, it's plentiful here... just let me know! also, i am a huge fan of bootleggers, that looks tasty. nice choice!

and fwiw, i love pliny, but it's totally overrated. i love blind pig more, and then happy hops was stellar... i do believe that heady topper is better than pliny as well.
      Thanks for the offer, but I'm not that concerned with trying HopDevil at the moment. It's just been on my radar for a while and I was excited to give it a try. I've only had one other Bootleggers beer, their Knuckle Sandwich, and it was phenomenal. One of the best hoppy beers I've had. The Black Phoenix is obviously a very different beer, but I'm really looking forward to it, too. Sounds pretty interesting if nothing else.

And I could see drinking Pliny all the time if it was readily available, but now that I've had it from a bottle and on tap, I can safely say that I'm very happy with all the hoppy beers I can easily get around here... Myrcenary, Hopslam, Palate Wrecker, Deviant Dale's, Ruination, Double Jack, Mongo, Hercules, Hoptimum, etc... With so many quality options, I'm not that disappointed that Pliny isn't one of them. All that being said, I still wish we got it (and Heady Topper) out here, though, haha.

Vehicles
      a van
      05-21-2012 02:33 PM #3616
      got a six-pack of New Belgium's Somersault. had two yesterday through the afternoon, not sure how i feel about it yet. definitely citrusy like they say.
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

Vehicles
      05-21-2012 02:58 PM #3617
      Quote Originally Posted by pat_ernzen View Post
      Thanks for the offer, but I'm not that concerned with trying HopDevil at the moment. It's just been on my radar for a while and I was excited to give it a try. I've only had one other Bootleggers beer, their Knuckle Sandwich, and it was phenomenal. One of the best hoppy beers I've had. The Black Phoenix is obviously a very different beer, but I'm really looking forward to it, too. Sounds pretty interesting if nothing else.

And I could see drinking Pliny all the time if it was readily available, but now that I've had it from a bottle and on tap, I can safely say that I'm very happy with all the hoppy beers I can easily get around here... Myrcenary, Hopslam, Palate Wrecker, Deviant Dale's, Ruination, Double Jack, Mongo, Hercules, Hoptimum, etc... With so many quality options, I'm not that disappointed that Pliny isn't one of them. All that being said, I still wish we got it (and Heady Topper) out here, though, haha.
      yeah, that is definitely my thoughts as well... i have a ton of super great DIPA's around here that i like just as much... if i am going to russian river, or can get russian river, than i am always going to go for the sours.

we don't get heady topper in CT. :cry: but i have my ways. hah... if you ever do want anything from out east, def let me know! i love trading.

Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-22-2012 06:37 PM #3618
      first American pilsner that doesn't suck

Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      05-22-2012 06:42 PM #3619
      HopDevil was the first big time IPA in a longggg time that I didn't like, and I can usually find redeeming qualities in anything

Vehicles
      05' WRX
      05-23-2012 10:30 AM #3620
      Quote Originally Posted by Der Schaltwerks View Post
      first American pilsner that doesn't suck

if you enjoy that try this.

it really is good chit

Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-23-2012 04:02 PM #3621
      We get a good supply of Rogue beers, but I've never seen that one.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T
      05-23-2012 04:53 PM #3622
      Absolutely love this:

Cool Whips - We Bring the Sweetness to Any Party | Tree Top Slayas - Affiliate

Petey Photography | Flickr | 40/60 Photo
      Buy my Wheels and 1.8T downpipe

05-24-2012 09:22 AM #3623
      been drinking a lot of this lately...
      MADSPEED

Vehicles
      2003 1.8 Tango
      05-26-2012 02:13 PM #3624
      Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA (9% ABV)

Malty - almost like a white chocolate malt - and a woody flavor that I've been told is pine. Yummy, highly recommend.
      -= DelDubs =-

Vehicles
      05-26-2012 05:55 PM #3625
      we don't get heady topper in CT. :cry: but i have my ways. hah... if you ever do want anything from out east, def let me know! i love trading.
      Heady Topper is really one of the few beers I'd really try to trade for at this point. The other beers I want are a bit harder to come by and it's unlikely that I'd ever land them. The two big ones being the other two New Glarus R&D beers they've brewed. Would also like to try some Alpine and maybe Cigar City beers, though.

Vehicles
      05-26-2012 06:42 PM #3626
      Drinking this and REALLY enjoying it. Was opening some bottles the other night, letting my brother choose which ones and he said he didn't want to open this as he had it before and didn't think it was very good. Don't know if he had the non-bourbon barrel version or if the age (something like 1.5 to 2 years) has done this beer a lot of good, but I think it's a phenomenal imperial stout.

Last edited by pat_ernzen; 07-15-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      05-26-2012 08:26 PM #3627
      Ahhhh Batch 9000 brings back some memories. Mainly, splitting a sixer of it out of the bottle in the backyard with my buddy a couple days after it was released while chain smoking Newports and trying to get with my roommate's recently divorced older sister

Vehicles
      05-26-2012 08:31 PM #3628
      Quote Originally Posted by FBMphil View Post
      Ahhhh Batch 9000 brings back some memories. Mainly, splitting a sixer of it out of the bottle in the backyard with my buddy a couple days after it was released while chain smoking Newports and trying to get with my roommate's recently divorced older sister
      Haha, nice... Oddly, I've never actually had it. And haven't ever had the bottle of Batch 10,000 sitting behind it, either. Bell's just started distributing to AZ just after Batch 9,000 and I wasn't really into beer until after Batch 10,000. Saw them on the shelves and only bought one bottle as I didn't know how special it was. Had two bottles of 9 but sent one to a friend. I do love Bell's, though. Have an older bottle of Expedition Stout and Third Coast in there, too. Think both are like a year and half old now. Had a bottle of each a few months back and their just getting better and better. One of these days I'll open the Batch beers... Just don't know when.

Oh, and those two bottom drawers contain almost 300oz of Stone Vertical Epics back to '06.
      Last edited by pat_ernzen; 05-26-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Vehicles
      05-26-2012 08:42 PM #3629
      12.86oz is FAR too small for such a beer. ;_;

Was a batch 007. Don't know what they're onto now, but god damn. So very tasty. Think I've caught the sour bug, too... which isn't necessarily a good thing, given the price of these beers (this thing runs like $14 a bottle, right?).

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '88 Jetta | '13 135is | '10 Clubman S | '88 Ranger
      05-26-2012 09:07 PM #3630
      Damn, Pat... That is a fridge shot if I've ever seen one!

Finally got around to drinking this tonight:

It's very interesting. Lots of wine flavor. Think I like it . More carbonation than I usually like, but it works here.

Had this in KY when I was there this weekend. Pretty solid apa. Wanted to get more but time was limited.

Dirtbox Radio Drum & Bass
      Ellen the Jetta Reba the Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Jamez View Post
      You might think you'll be fine if you don't do anything wrong but remember : you are not the one deciding what is right or wrong.

Vehicles
      05-26-2012 09:13 PM #3631
      Quote Originally Posted by odj View Post
      Damn, Pat... That is a fridge shot if I've ever seen one!

Finally got around to drinking this tonight:

Thanks, man! Like I said, padding the photo a bit, but then, there is a FW15, a couple Black Xantus brews back there, a Black Butte XXII, a Sucaba/Abacus and so many more back there... So if anything, I think it kind of underplays the greatness of my fridge. And kind of funny that you were having the Elder Brett... no joke, I was watching a YouTube review of it when I saw your post (both surprised me, actually) and almost opened my bottle the other day. Love the label and am really looking forward to cracking it.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      05-26-2012 10:21 PM #3632
      It's really good. Just finished it while hanging out with the wife and dog in the back yard. I have a picky palate, but it's a keeper. Let me know what you think when you do open it.

As a total aside: After the Big Bad Baptist I went through Total Wine's fairly prodigious chocolate stout selection, and haven't had anything nearly as good. Even a $16 bottle of nastiness that I can't remember off of the top of my slightly buzzed head. The Baptist reminds me of my favorite Michel Cluizel chocolate bars. Yum yum.

You might think you'll be fine if you don't do anything wrong but remember : you are not the one deciding what is right or wrong.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      05-26-2012 10:24 PM #3633
      Oh, and you should see my pathetic beer fridge right now. Had a big party for my radio show's 10 year anniversary last month, and my buddies at DC Brau were kind enough to donate a keg each of Penn Quarter Porter and Corruption IPA, so I got left with a lot of the crap the non beer dorks brought. I'm just hoping visitors drink all of the Heineken and such. That crap gives me a headache these days...

Vehicles
      05-26-2012 10:42 PM #3634
      So, based on that post, I'm guessing you had the Epic/DC Brau collab beer? Their pumpkin beer? That was probably the best pumpkin beer I had all year and such a good value. Had it on tap a few times and wish I would've picked up a few bottles.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      05-26-2012 10:46 PM #3635
      So, based on that post, I'm guessing you had the Epic/DC Brau collab beer? Their pumpkin beer? That was probably the best pumpkin beer I had all year and such a good value. Had it on tap a few times and wish I would've picked up a few bottles.
      Definitely. That's the only pumpkin beer I've had that I've truly liked. I've got a bottle stashed away in the closet, along with a few batch 3 & 4 Baptists and some Founder's Breakfast Stout.

Vehicles
      05-26-2012 10:54 PM #3636
      Nice. It was on tap at a local spot for like $3 a pint... such a good deal. Bottles were pretty cheap, too. When I bought my bottles of Baptist, I thought it was an ultra-rare brew, but then they apparently upped production. I've never actually had it out of a bottle, but have it on tap at least a half dozen times. Bought a few bottles and sent them off to people in trades. Happy to have a bottle of Release #2, though, as I feel like it's a beer that will really improve with age.

Next time I'm in Wisconsin, I'm going to really seek out Founder's and Three Floyds. I've had a little of both, but there's still so much more I want to try. Breakfast Stout being one of them.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      05-27-2012 12:55 AM #3637
      Oh and scratch that on not liking any of my stout scores. Not as flavorful as the Baptist, but this is way tasty. Kinda a muted version of the aforementioned.

Vehicles
      05-29-2012 01:49 PM #3638
      Heady Topper is really one of the few beers I'd really try to trade for at this point. The other beers I want are a bit harder to come by and it's unlikely that I'd ever land them. The two big ones being the other two New Glarus R&D beers they've brewed. Would also like to try some Alpine and maybe Cigar City beers, though.
      next time i get some HT i will let you know.

Vehicles
      2003 1.8 Tango
      05-29-2012 03:58 PM #3639
      ...would also like to try some Alpine and maybe Cigar City beers, though.
      Oh yeah, I had Cigar City's Maduro Brown Ale over Christmas vacay (Sanibel Island) and it was pretty good. I didn't get to pair it with a cigar (as recommended) because I was around my parents the whole time and my mom still gives me s**t for smoking. (I'm 44...)
      -= DelDubs =-

35. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-30-2012 07:30 AM #3640
      What year is that Thomas Hardy's Ale? The last one I had was a 2006, a few years ago.

Page 104 of 126 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114 ... LastLast