Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 106 of 126 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116 ... LastLast
    Results 3,676 to 3,710 of 4394

Thread: Best New Beer You've Tried Recently?

Vehicles
      1967 AMC Rambler American
      07-01-2012 07:45 PM #3676
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      I'm not a huge fan of Dale's. It's just not that balanced, it's just hops hops hops HOPS.

While I'm dissing on beloved IPAs, I had a Pliny the Elder the other day...and it was excellent, but not any more so than Odell's, Stone, or even Great Divide's entrants in the field.

I love me some IPA, but I think they're sort of becoming one-dimensional. Okay, cool, mad hops. Woo. Now what? There's only so many ways a ****load of hops can taste.
      Like I said, I've had a LOT of hoppy beers, but Heady Topper just did it for me.
      Last edited by pat_ernzen; 07-15-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Vehicles
      mine :: mk6 gti & mk3 morris mini :: his :: mk2 gti aba-t & mk4 gti vr6 :: ours :: mk1 cabby
      07-03-2012 02:19 PM #3677
      Quote Originally Posted by pat_ernzen View Post
      Yeah, with my list I was really just trying to match up your list with what I felt was a better beer, keeping the same brewer or region. That's why I said Double Jack in place of Nectar IPA. Didn't really think about the fact that I was going up to IIPAs with most of my selections. Again, I don't know about Lunch, but I'm not that impressed by Pliny. Don't get me wrong, it's a great beer, but I didn't think it's the pinnacle of IPAs/IIPAs or really lives up to the hype. I've had it out of a bottle (few weeks old) and on tap. I'd put Heady Topper above Pliny with no hesitation. Bootlegger's Knuckle Sandwich is way up there for me, but I'd have to try it again. I think I'd put Port's Mongo on cask above Pliny, too, but maybe that's not fair. There's just so many great hoppy beers out there.

If we're talking APAs, Zombie Dust has to be the best I've had. Their Alpha King is fantastic, too. Dale's is certainly one of the best I can easily get, though.
      yes.

i think i drank at least 7 cans of heady topper over the weekend through last night. i still have 5 more in my fridge!

and, has anyone had stone 10th anniversary yet? apparently it rivals pliny... getting really good reviews too.

Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan SE 4Mo White Gold
      07-03-2012 05:02 PM #3678
      Quote Originally Posted by thebestever View Post
      yes.

i think i drank at least 7 cans of heady topper over the weekend through last night. i still have 5 more in my fridge!

and, has anyone had stone 10th anniversary yet? apparently it rivals pliny... getting really good reviews too.
      I think so, it's labeled Ruination. Had it the other day. Really good, 10.9 was a bit too much for my liking through.

I hope I can find that hopper somewhere here in the northeast!

Sent from the Droiiiiid!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      07-03-2012 06:02 PM #3679
      whoa, just saw this pop up in my facebook newsfeed:

going to have to source one! never had voodoo donuts, but it still sounds great.
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      07-03-2012 06:43 PM #3680
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      I'm not a huge fan of Dale's. It's just not that balanced, it's just hops hops hops HOPS.

While I'm dissing on beloved IPAs, I had a Pliny the Elder the other day...and it was excellent, but not any more so than Odell's, Stone, or even Great Divide's entrants in the field.

I love me some IPA, but I think they're sort of becoming one-dimensional. Okay, cool, mad hops. Woo. Now what? There's only so many ways a ****load of hops can taste.
      Just remember, Pliny was the original DIPA. This is probably why it is the gold standard and the treasured beer. I love Pliny. I took it for granted when I lived I SoCal.

I've been on a break from good for a while. I over did it and now mainly drink all the other styles I used to pass over when I was hop mad.
      Last edited by leitmotif; 07-03-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Vehicles
      07-03-2012 10:05 PM #3681
      yes.
      Dude, so jealous. Will definitely have to get myself some more at some point. Want to get at least four cans next time, though. I just felt stingy and needed more after two cans.

And no, I haven't tried Ruination 10th yet. Hasn't shown up in the valley yet, unfortunately. Also looking forward to their Smoked Porter variations. We'll probably see those whenever it is that Ruination 10th shows up (supposed to be middle of this month).

Stone will be on to their 16th Anniversary beer this year. If last year's was any indication, it should be a great beer. And then there's the 12.12.12 Vertical Epic! Looking forward to drinking a bunch of it on tap, as it should be best fresh. Also planning two separate tastings with all my bottles. Should be fun. Lot of big/fun stuff from Stone this year, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by n0rdicalex. View Post
      http://uncrate.com/p/2011/11/rogue-v...oughnut-xl.jpg
      going to have to source one! never had voodoo donuts, but it still sounds great.
      Wouldn't bother. For every one person that likes it, there seems to be ten that don't. Have a bottle in my fridge right now, actually. Bought it as a gift for someone and never gave it to them. May never drink it, haha. At least the bottle is pretty cool looking, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by leitmotif View Post
      Just remember, Pliny was the original DIPA. This is probably why it is the gold standard and the treasured beer. I love Pliny. I took it for granted when I lived I SoCal.
      I've been on a break from good for a while. I over did it and now mainly drink all the other styles I used to pass over when I was hop mad.
      Yeah, I don't mean to knock Pliny by any means. It's definitely a GREAT beer, but for someone like me, where it's a pain in the ass to get it, I'd rather just have something else that's on the same level and can be bought super fresh at a local store. If I'm going to make a big effort to get a beer like that, I'd go for Heady Topper for sure. Or seek out something like Alpine's various offerings.
      Last edited by pat_ernzen; 07-03-2012 at 10:09 PM.

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      07-03-2012 10:26 PM #3682

Yeah, I don't mean to knock Pliny by any means. It's definitely a GREAT beer, but for someone like me, where it's a pain in the ass to get it, I'd rather just have something else that's on the same level and can be bought super fresh at a local store. If I'm going to make a big effort to get a beer like that, I'd go for Heady Topper for sure. Or seek out something like Alpine's various offerings.
      I don't blame you one bit. Unfortunately, fresh out here means sitting in the distributor's warehouse for a month + while waiting for TABC approval.

I've had Bootlegger's Knuckle Sandwich, not super fresh but still amazing. And I agree with out about Alpine. Must also mention Kern River's IPA's. But still, I'm hopped out. My friend is on vacation in Nor Cal currently and bringing some good stuff back and I'll be going home in Sept. and visiting my Grandma who is about 30ish min. from both Firestone taprooms.

Vehicles
      2005 Dodge stratus SXT Coupe
      07-04-2012 02:15 PM #3683

[IMG]http://uncrate.com/p/2011/11/rogue-voodoo-doughnut-xl.jpg[IMG]

you should be able to order it on their website. only order one though... unless you want to brine a pork loin in it or something lol

:EDIT: here ya'r sir

http://rogue.com/store/products/Rogu...ml-Bottle.html
      "Play a Windows CD backwards and hear scary messages. Thats nothing, play it forwards and it installs Windows"
      Homebrewers of the 'tex. Join us! Home brewers CHECK IN please!

9. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      07-04-2012 04:47 PM #3684
      ah cool, thanks for the heads up!

local beer store said they could order it too, so i might have them do it. judging by the reviews, i probably won't like it, but might as well try it anyway.
      welcome to the layer cake

Vehicles
      07-05-2012 12:43 AM #3685
      Tonight was...

Lagunitas Undercover Shut-Down
      Manzinita IPA
      Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw/Blue (2009)

And I came home with a Russian River Consecration and a Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws 2011. Good times.
      Last edited by pat_ernzen; 07-15-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Vehicles
      mine :: mk6 gti & mk3 morris mini :: his :: mk2 gti aba-t & mk4 gti vr6 :: ours :: mk1 cabby
      07-05-2012 12:02 PM #3686
      Dude, so jealous. Will definitely have to get myself some more at some point. Want to get at least four cans next time, though. I just felt stingy and needed more after two cans.

And no, I haven't tried Ruination 10th yet. Hasn't shown up in the valley yet, unfortunately. Also looking forward to their Smoked Porter variations. We'll probably see those whenever it is that Ruination 10th shows up (supposed to be middle of this month).

Stone will be on to their 16th Anniversary beer this year. If last year's was any indication, it should be a great beer. And then there's the 12.12.12 Vertical Epic! Looking forward to drinking a bunch of it on tap, as it should be best fresh. Also planning two separate tastings with all my bottles. Should be fun. Lot of big/fun stuff from Stone this year, it seems.

we finished up the HT last night. :cry: now i am contemplating my next trip to VT. most of the package stores limit you to 4 4-packs because it's so hard for them to even get in VT.

and yep, looks like a good stone year. i'm excited because i haven't been that amped about stone beers for a while.

i'm trying to think about what other beers i had yesterday:

sixpoint apollo
      sixpoint the crisp <3
      new england brewing co 668
      goose island sofie
      rastafarye

i think thats it.

Vehicles
      2011 Mazda CX-7, 97 Toyota Tacoma: Shaved and Bagged (sold)
      07-05-2012 01:00 PM #3687

IMO don't waste your time. It's really not good at all. Great as a donut, not as a beer though.

Pliny is good don't get me wrong, but there are better DIPAs IMO.

I did have some HopSlam the other night. Great beer.
      DFH Immort Ale (reminded me a lot of their Paolo Santo Marron) which both are really fantastic beers.
      DFH Sah'tea (tried it, won't do it again, not a fan at all). Chai flavors just throw me off for a beer.
      Stone TBA (fantastic collab beer from Bear Republic, Stone, and Fat Head breweries). I would drink this consistently if it wasn't so hard to get.
      Rogue Morimoto Soba - loved it. Backend had a hint of sake-ish flavor. Has become a regular beer for me.

Vehicles
      2009 Tiguan SE 4Mo White Gold
      07-07-2012 09:24 AM #3688
      Don't want to go too far off topic but, how many beers are you guys putting back nightly?

Sent from the Droiiiiid!

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      07-07-2012 09:29 AM #3689
      Quote Originally Posted by Viktor Vaughn View Post
      Don't want to go too far off topic but, how many beers are you guys putting back nightly?

Sent from the Droiiiiid!
      I only drink Friday and Saturdays. Fridays I'll have 2-3, except last night I had 4. Depending on my day for Saturday I'll knock back like 5 or 6.

Vehicles
      07-07-2012 07:53 PM #3690
      I drink probably five nights a week, but usually it's only one beer for like four of those nights. I'd say on the average week I might end up drinking something like 6-8 beers total. Some weeks it's much, much more than that. But they're atypical.

Vehicles
      07-07-2012 08:22 PM #3691
      Picked this up and it's a damn good deal. A great three year old 9% ABV barleywine for less than $5.50? I mean, come on. I'll very likely be buying a couple more while they're still there.

This same shop is one I've mentioned before. It has all kinds of rare, great beers but no beer buyers. Stuff just sits there for years. Refrigerated, but not ENTIRELY out of the light. Other stuff I saw there today:

2009 LoF La Folie
      LoF Transatlantique Kriek
      2008 Thomas Hardy's (not really uncommon around here)
      t Smisje Grande Reserva
      2009 Mikkeler Black
      Stone Collab. El Camino (Un)Real Black Ale
      Crispin Stagger Lee
      2007 Chimay Grand Reserve magnum
      2008 Anchor Our Special Ale magnum
      2010 Older Viscosity
      2008 Old Guardian
      2009 Angel's Share

...and a bunch of other stuff. This wouldn't be that remarkable except that it's a grocery store.
      Last edited by pat_ernzen; 07-15-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Vehicles
      07-09-2012 11:25 AM #3692
      ^^^^ do not buy the angel's share.

as far as drinking. i try to limit myself to friday to sunday but if i drink during the week, it's like 1 to 2 beers... friday to sunday might be up to 4 beers... but more like 2 to 3.

rare occasions i go out and drink like 6, and then feel like crap the next day.

Vehicles
      07-13-2012 04:08 AM #3693
      Yeah, I wasn't planning on it.

Vehicles
      07-13-2012 04:10 AM #3694

Awww yeeeah. Sold out FAST here. Like, all bottles gone on the first day in many shops despite bottle limits. Luckily, for me, I obviously got my hands on some. It didn't come without effort, though, haha.

Was going to drink one today, but it ended up being a longer day than I hoped and I have to be up in the morning. Damn it. Definitely will be opening one or two over the weekend. Also got a bottle of the Smoked Porter with Chipotle. Vanilla Beans hasn't hit shelves around here yet. Plan on buying at least one bottle of that one.

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      07-13-2012 06:12 AM #3695

Whats wrong with angel's share? flat like the 09?

Vehicles
      07-13-2012 11:55 AM #3696
      Whats wrong with angel's share? flat like the 09?
      yes, he was referring to the 09 angel's share.

i got to have the ruination 10th anniversary on Wednesday at Eli Canon's... they had a Stone night and had it on tap. It's really good, I don't know if I would put it at Pliny level like I've heard people say, but it's certainly delicious, and I am going to try to get my hands on a bottle or two (highly unlikely as my friend went to our package store and got her allotment of 1 bottle and when she went back they were sold out).

Vehicles
      07-14-2012 09:13 PM #3697
      i got to have the ruination 10th anniversary on Wednesday at Eli Canon's... they had a Stone night and had it on tap. It's really good, I don't know if I would put it at Pliny level like I've heard people say, but it's certainly delicious, and I am going to try to get my hands on a bottle or two (highly unlikely as my friend went to our package store and got her allotment of 1 bottle and when she went back they were sold out).
      Drinking it now and it's so, so good. I'd at least put it on the same level as Pliny. But then, I only paid $6 a bottle and just had to drive to a store to get it. It sold out so very fast here... seems pretty much every store was out the same day they got it. Think I'm actually very lucky to have gotten three bottles.

Coming home today with a few more beers, I realized I have a lot of Stone beers at the moment. Far more than any other brewery.

Pictured:
      VE 06.06.06 x1
      VE 07.07.07 x3
      VE 08.08.08 x2
      VE 09.09.09 x2
      VE 10.10.10 x3
      VE 11.11.11 x3
      Bottle Works 13th x1
      Ruination 10th x3
      Lukcy Basartd x1
      Old Guardian 2010 x1
      Old Guardian Belgo x1
      Double Bastard 2008 x1
      Cherry Chocolate Stout x1
      Smoked Porter w/ Chipotle Peppers x2

Though, I'm now less one Ruination 10th since this photo and very likely less one Smoked Porter shortly. Have more VEs than I realized. Forgot I had three 07s and three 10s.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      07-14-2012 09:18 PM #3698
      Visited Chicago last weekend and we went to 3 Floyds just across the border.

Got 2 cases of Gumballhead, a case of Pride and Joy, and 2 cases of Zombie Dust! Several bomboers of Arctic Panzer Wolf, Dreadnaught, Apocalypse Cow, and Blackheart!

Their brew pub has EXCELLENT food and they had BA Robert The Bruce on tap!

Got a bunch of Half Acre Daisy Cutter and a bunch of DFH as well on the way out of town including a couple bombers of Theobroma and Ta Henket.

Nothing special overall but none of it is in Minneapolis (yet).
      Last edited by Shawn O; 07-14-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Vehicles
      07-14-2012 09:22 PM #3699
      Dude, jealous. Had one bottle of Zombie Dust and absolutely loved it. Arctic Panzer Wolf, Dreadnaught and Apocalypse Cow are all beers I REALLY want. Have had a handful of 3Floyds beers and have never been disappointed. Wasn't crazy about the standard Robert the Bruce, but malty beers just aren't my style.

Vehicles
      07-15-2012 02:50 AM #3700
      Finishing off a Smoked Porter w/ Chipotle Peppers and, honestly, it's like 90% the same thing as Lefthand Fade to Black V.3 at two to three times the price. Really not impressed. Still really want to try the Vanilla Beans version, though.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      '88 Jetta | '13 135is | '10 Clubman S | '88 Ranger
      07-15-2012 09:21 PM #3701
      Jesus, Pat, that's quite the Stone haul. Glad you're enjoying the vertical epic's, though I haven't been to into them.

This was a good week for beer, for me at least. Ye olde beer fridge is sparse, so I broke out some stuff I've been aging.

I finished the last of the breakfast stout I've been holding on to since December or thereabouts - it got so much smoother and the flavors melded wonderfully.

Had the last pumpkin porter I had. Still not a huge pumpkin beer fan - it still had the mellow, smooth pumpkin tast on the front end, but the back end and aftertaste were quite nice.

I picked up two growlers of DC Brau's special edition Oaked Penn Quarter Porter. I like the regular bottles - quite a bit - but this was just incredible. The extra flavor from the whiskey barrels complimented the porter and created a complex, but always complimentary flavor. Big and tasty.
      Dirtbox Radio Drum & Bass
      Ellen the Jetta Reba the Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Jamez View Post
      You might think you'll be fine if you don't do anything wrong but remember : you are not the one deciding what is right or wrong.

07-16-2012 09:25 AM #3702
      been knocking through a 4pack of Founder's Devil Dancer...never had a chance to try it before. Really smooth and balanced for a 12% "triple" ipa...good stuff.
      MADSPEED

Vehicles
      2005 Dodge stratus SXT Coupe
      07-16-2012 12:56 PM #3703
      ah cool, thanks for the heads up!

local beer store said they could order it too, so i might have them do it. judging by the reviews, i probably won't like it, but might as well try it anyway.
      I Think i just saw like 12 cases at fred meyer yesterday, i was all wtf!? and only like 3 were gone lol
      "Play a Windows CD backwards and hear scary messages. Thats nothing, play it forwards and it installs Windows"
      Homebrewers of the 'tex. Join us! Home brewers CHECK IN please!

Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG Candy White, 2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) / 2011 JSW TDI 97 Jetta GT & 91 Passat wag
      07-17-2012 09:48 AM #3704
      On Friday I was able to get a bottle of the Ruination 10th and a bottle of the Vanilla bean, smoked porter. Waiting to try these probably next weekend! They held these in the backroom (under lock & key) but if you ask the right person they'll get them for you.
      2013 JSW TDI, Nav, Kessy - White, Pano roof, Canvas Back dog/cargo liner
      13% tint, 30% on Pano, rear spoiler, mud guards.
      Replaced - Trouble free 2011 Sportwagen TDi Salsa Red. Oo>=====v=====<oO/
      2011 Kia Optima SX (Turbo) Corsa Blue - 13% Tint, LED interior lighting, "Big Boy" horn, T badge. BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2

Vehicles
      07-17-2012 11:05 AM #3705
      That's how it was here for the Ruination 10th. And I wouldn't wait until next weekend on the Ruination. The sooner the better.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      '88 Jetta | '13 135is | '10 Clubman S | '88 Ranger
      07-17-2012 08:02 PM #3706
      I got lucky today, managed to snag two bottles of the 10th!
      Dirtbox Radio Drum & Bass
      Ellen the Jetta Reba the Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Jamez View Post
      You might think you'll be fine if you don't do anything wrong but remember : you are not the one deciding what is right or wrong.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      07-19-2012 10:13 PM #3707
      Hey Matt, is that new/larger brewery done yet? This **** is delicious!

I've got a pocket full of pretty green -I'm gonna put it in the fruit machine -
      I'm gonna put it in the juke box -It's gonna play all the records in the hit parade

Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      07-20-2012 09:25 PM #3708
      Finishing off a Smoked Porter w/ Chipotle Peppers and, honestly, it's like 90% the same thing as Lefthand Fade to Black V.3 at two to three times the price. Really not impressed. Still really want to try the Vanilla Beans version, though.
      Picked up the smoked w/ chipotle and vanilla beans tonight, along with Double Jack from Firestone.

The chipotle was smoky and surprisingly spicy, not anything extraordinary, but I enjoyed it.

I'm a couple sips into the vanilla bean and ... WHOA. Seriously good stuff.

Vehicles
      07-20-2012 11:50 PM #3709
      Got a bottle of the Vanilla in the fridge. Thinking that I'll be drinking one tonight.
      Last edited by pat_ernzen; 07-15-2013 at 01:52 PM.

07-21-2012 08:44 AM #3710
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Hey Matt, is that new/larger brewery done yet? This **** is delicious!

not yet...a little behind schedule I think....but soon I hope.
      MADSPEED

Page 106 of 126 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116 ... LastLast