Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 55 of 127 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
    Results 1,891 to 1,925 of 4419

Thread: Best New Beer You've Tried Recently?

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta SE w/ conv.
      03-30-2010 04:49 PM #1891
      Tried this this weekend....really good

Samuel Adams Imperial White

Vehicles
      a '98 [on life support] and a '07
      03-30-2010 05:40 PM #1892
      Double Mountain Brewery (out of Hood River, OR) "Empire Strikes Back"

Great stuff, not too bitter.

Where is Kyron ??? http://www.bringkyronhome.org/
      Support our troops, bless the fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by genjy View Post
      Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

3. 03-30-2010 06:18 PM #1893
      Quote, originally posted by Merc-MarkO »

I FREAKING LOVE Double Mountain, I had it when I was in the area. Wish they bottled it. I especially love the IRA (Imperial Red Ale). They also make some KILLER pizza also.

Vehicles
      2002 Elantra GT | 2005 Odyssey Touring
      03-30-2010 06:19 PM #1894

Anything else locally that you could compare it to?
      Go Timbers! Timbers Army - RCTID!
      Go Ducks! WTD!
      COYS!
      Go Blazers! RIP CITY!
      Go tOSU!

Vehicles
      03-31-2010 02:18 PM #1895
      Quote, originally posted by Thrice »

Anything else locally that you could compare it to?

It's like a cross between Deschutes Red Chair and Bridgeport Ropewalk.

Yes, there is a high chance that the tractor trailer was the one going 160MPH, not the Porsche GT2 RS.

6. 03-31-2010 02:28 PM #1896
      had the dogfish head red & white a while back on tap.

def worth trying imo.

Vehicles
      03-31-2010 03:49 PM #1897

It's like a cross between Deschutes Red Chair and Bridgeport Ropewalk.

Aight coo. Red Chair is my hop max so Empire Strikes Back will probably be right around there but I have to try everything once.

Man I wish it was July 23rd so I could be at the Brewers Festival on the Waterfront.

Go Ducks! WTD!
      COYS!
      Go Blazers! RIP CITY!
      Go tOSU!

Vehicles
      03-31-2010 08:11 PM #1898
      It's good (heck do they make anything bad?) stuff. You don't like hoppier beers ? I guess you're not drinking any Hop Czar then ?

I have mixed thoughts about the beer fest. It's great to have so many beers available but it's always so crammed down there and I hate the lines.

Modified by Merc-MarkO at 5:13 PM 3-31-2010

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      03-31-2010 08:33 PM #1899
      Had DFH Aprihop. Really nice and refreshing.

Vehicles
      03-31-2010 09:28 PM #1900
      It's good (heck do they make anything bad?) stuff. You don't like hoppier beers ? I guess you're not drinking any Hop Czar then ?

I have mixed thoughts about the beer fest. It's great to have so many beers available but it's always so crammed down there and I hate the lines.

Nope, not a fan of hoppier beers. However, I can deal when I'm drinking w/ food so that is when I try them.

Ohh my friend, you just need to be more communicated to drinking like I am Haha but seriously, I went for the first time 2 years ago on a Saturday @ 2pm and it was a horrible first time experience. Lines that took 10-15 minutes to get through, only got whole cups because it was worthless to just try tastes, only got stuff I already knew I enjoyed, and have the stuff I would have wanted was already.

Fast forward 1 year and I'm going on a Friday when the gates open, avoiding all lines, getting to try any beer I want, just enjoying the next three hours and all 12 different beers I try. Go on early on a Friday afternoon and it will completely change your perspective on the event. Also look for half price deals for the next couple months that will net you 2 cups and a bunch of tokens.

Go Ducks! WTD!
      COYS!
      Go Blazers! RIP CITY!
      Go tOSU!

11. 03-31-2010 09:57 PM #1901
      Quote, originally posted by roccostud »
      John John Dead Guy Ale from Rogue

I ****ing hate Dead Guy Ale.

NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      04-01-2010 12:13 AM #1902
      Sunday is the only day I can go due to work.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      04-01-2010 12:36 AM #1903
      Quote, originally posted by Dreizehn »

Get in line behind all of the other naysayers.

I love a good Maibock (it has been my favorite beer style for a few years now) and this is one of the best because it is available to me all year round and I think it tastes good.

Vehicles
      04-01-2010 12:39 PM #1904

hate. It is severely overrated yes, but hate? It isn't bad.
      Sunday is the only day I can go due to work.

Ahh I see. That sucks. Well still the earliest on any day the best.
      Go Ducks! WTD!
      COYS!
      Go Blazers! RIP CITY!
      Go tOSU!

15. 04-01-2010 01:25 PM #1905
      If you ever get a chance to go to Rogue, try every other beer they make. Dead Guy is the worst...well, except for the Chipotle Ale.

Every time someone tells me Dead Guy is awesome, I think to myself, "90% of beer-drinking Americans think Budweiser is awesome, too".

NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      04-01-2010 02:12 PM #1906
      If you ever get a chance to go to Rogue, try every other beer they make. Dead Guy is the worst...well, except for the Chipotle Ale.

Every time someone tells me Dead Guy is awesome, I think to myself, "90% of beer-drinking Americans think Budweiser is awesome, too".

I went, I ended up buying a bottle of the hazelnut spice rum. Quite possibly their best beverage! Not a fan of their beer so much.

17. 04-01-2010 02:13 PM #1907
      This was a classic in the South Bronx growing up:

NEW YORK KNICKS

18. 04-01-2010 02:14 PM #1908
      Quote, originally posted by leitmotif »
      I went, I ended up buying a bottle of the hazelnut spice rum. Quite possibly their best beverage! Not a fan of their beer so much.

Which Rogue did you go to? The one downtown? I love that place. Bridgeport is right near there, too. (2-3 min away)

NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      04-01-2010 02:17 PM #1909

Been there a bunch and I agree the majority of their beers are better, I just wouldn't say I hate it. I do hate though that the only beer the distribute in 6-packs is Dead Guy and even the cheap grocery stores charge $10 for it. Doesn't matter though because I like Drop Top and Fat Tire better anyways so I don't buy Dead Guy.

I did just pick up a case of Rogue Mocha Porter though and it is as delicious as ever.

Go Ducks! WTD!
      COYS!
      Go Blazers! RIP CITY!
      Go tOSU!

20. 04-01-2010 02:21 PM #1910
      Rogue Mocha Porter is one of my favorite beers. I have one more left at home (**** is expensive up here in the Northeast).
      NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      04-01-2010 02:24 PM #1911
      Rogue Mocha Porter is one of my favorite beers. I have one more left at home (**** is expensive up here in the Northeast).

I surprised the ship so much stuff over your way. I mean it is hard to get locally in stores unless you guy 22oz bottles and even then you only get 3-4 options and that is at high end grocery stores.

I'm guessing they aren't as national as Rogue is apparently but I do Deschutes and Widmer better anyways, partly because of the availability though.

Go Ducks! WTD!
      COYS!
      Go Blazers! RIP CITY!
      Go tOSU!

22. 04-01-2010 02:34 PM #1912
      Quote, originally posted by Thrice »

I surprised the ship so much stuff over your way. I mean it is hard to get locally in stores unless you guy 22oz bottles and even then you only get 3-4 options and that is at high end grocery stores.

I'm guessing they aren't as national as Rogue is apparently but I do Deschutes and Widmer better anyways, partly because of the availability though.

I ask for the stuff so my local beer spot orders it.

I have them order the hazelnut brown, choc stout, shakespeare, mocha porter, and yellow snow.

NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      04-01-2010 03:16 PM #1913
      That's pretty sweet. I need find me a place that will order me Southern Tier because I hear such great stuff about them and really want to try them out.
      Go Ducks! WTD!
      COYS!
      Go Blazers! RIP CITY!
      Go tOSU!

24. 04-01-2010 03:17 PM #1914
      Southern Tier IPAs? We have a few ST brews at my local beer spot.
      NEW YORK KNICKS

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      04-01-2010 03:18 PM #1915

Which Rogue did you go to? The one downtown? I love that place. Bridgeport is right near there, too. (2-3 min away)

Went to their world HQ in Newport. We took a day from our trip and rented a car, drove out to the coast and down then back up I-5 to Pdx. I was quite underwhelmed at their HQ. But they do own the Green Dragon and that place was cool. Had some 120min there.

We had so many beer destinations planned and only hit a handful of them. But Portland is a cool town and I can't waitto go back.

26. 04-01-2010 03:51 PM #1916
      You **** made me open a brew at work. Thanks.

NEW YORK KNICKS

04-01-2010 04:27 PM #1917
      Went to their world HQ in Newport. We took a day from our trip and rented a car, drove out to the coast and down then back up I-5 to Pdx. I was quite underwhelmed at their HQ.

I went their on coastal road trip years ago...thought it was cool. Esp. after about 16-20 samples around lunch time

I just wish we got some of their other beers here...

MADSPEED

04-01-2010 04:36 PM #1918
      just went through a few 4 packs of Surly the last couple weeks. Cynic Ale - golden belgian, Bender - brown ale, Coffee Bender - coffee brown ale

Cynic was decent, Bender is too brown for my tastes....not enough alc. for the malty sweetness, Coffee Bender - ok, strong coffee taste to balance the sweetness....but not as good as Furthermore Oscura or Dark Horse Perkulator.
      For microbrewed canned beer..I prefer IPAs, cuz their better to drink from the can. The point of cans to me is NOT using a glass..whereas these beers need a glass. I've had their Furious at festivals...but need to get a 4 pack of that as well. I remember them as being pretty damned good...

Need to get my hands on some Abrasive DIPA as well....

Modified by kweetech at 3:38 PM 4-1-2010

MADSPEED

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      04-01-2010 05:41 PM #1919
      Quote, originally posted by kweetech »

I went their on coastal road trip years ago...thought it was cool. Esp. after about 16-20 samples around lunch time

I just wish we got some of their other beers here...

Part of my problem was I went in thinking it would be this wonderland much like Stone. I mean it wasn't horrible. The distillery was my favorite part though. The girl working the "tour" there kept giving me more samples of the spirits because we were the last "tour" of the day. I say "tour" because it's a small out building across the parking lot from the brewery. all the distilling equipment could fit in my garage.

30. 04-01-2010 05:43 PM #1920
      Went to their world HQ in Newport. We took a day from our trip and rented a car, drove out to the coast and down then back up I-5 to Pdx. I was quite underwhelmed at their HQ. But they do own the Green Dragon and that place was cool. Had some 120min there.

We had so many beer destinations planned and only hit a handful of them. But Portland is a cool town and I can't waitto go back.

They are just now selling bombers of Rouge at the market by me... Saw the Chocolate Stout, Dead Guy, and I believe the Hazelnut Brown Nectar. I just wish this place would bring back the Firestone DBA, but I can't complain they always have Stone IPA (bomber & 6ers) and AB (bombers). I did see Widmer Deadlift Imperial IPA, I don't love Widmer, but I might try it. They also have a few 12 packs of the SN Glissade left and I might have to pick one up before the fill it with some shity domestic. I also saw 6ers of Ranger IPA, I know that won't last.

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      04-01-2010 05:55 PM #1921
      Hmmm... I hadn't heard of the deadlift. I really liked the drifter, and the W'10 black IPA is rad! I bought a case of it for $20 yesterday. It's not quite sublimely, but it's still really good. I still have some Raging Bitch left and Ska Modus Hoperandi in cans and working on my last Aprihop right now.

With a little help from Topher and also my former local bottle shop, I have these also sitting in my fridge until some local friends and I can get together and do some bottle sharing.

Modified by leitmotif at 2:59 PM 4-1-2010

32. 04-01-2010 06:20 PM #1922

Thats Dead Guy Ale aged in a whiskey barrel I posted a picture of. and I like it

I will say there beers are very very over priced.

Modified by roccostud at 3:21 PM 4-1-2010

33. 04-01-2010 07:26 PM #1923
      Quote, originally posted by kweetech »

For microbrewed canned beer..I prefer IPAs, cuz their better to drink from the can. The point of cans to me is NOT using a glass..whereas these beers need a glass. I've had their Furious at festivals...but need to get a 4 pack of that as well. I remember them as being pretty damned good...

Modified by kweetech at 3:38 PM 4-1-2010

bottles and cans are just a transportation device. You should never drink beer directly from them. IPA's especially benefit from being poured into a glass so that you can actually smell the hops.

04-01-2010 07:48 PM #1924
      Quote, originally posted by GoFastChickenwing »

bottles and cans are just a transportation device. You should never drink beer directly from them. IPA's especially benefit from being poured into a glass so that you can actually smell the hops.

lol...BS
      I've been a beer geek for a long time, and I prefer a proper glass, but if beer needs to go from hand to mouth, sometimes the device really doesn't matter. A real beer drinker knows that

for instance...when I'm sitting next to a river, eating lunch while fishing, I drink out of the can/bottle. When in the shop, beer comes from a can or bottle. When grilling on a warm evening, with the smell of hot meat in the air....I drink from the can/bottle.
      I drink a lot of my favorite beers over and over..I don't need to be reminded of the superior hop aroma, proper serving temp or whatever. Its beer..sometimes you don't think about it that hard..and just enjoy it in the moment.
      Best can(s) of beer I've ever had wer several Kettelhouse Double Haul IPAs in a campground in Montana. Nothing could taste finer at that moment...14 hours casting on the Madison makes a guy thirsty

MADSPEED

04-01-2010 07:52 PM #1925
      speaking of kettle house...anyone in MT want to ship me some Double Haul?
      MADSPEED

Page 55 of 127 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast