Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 59 of 127 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast
    Results 2,031 to 2,065 of 4417

Thread: Best New Beer You've Tried Recently?

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Tacoma
      05-26-2010 04:43 PM #2031
      I went to the Toronado San Diego's 2nd anniversary on Monday night. They had 2 featured beers on tap Cable Car and Burbon Barrel Angels Share by Lost Abbey. I've had the Angels share countless times before and still prefer the brandy barrel version more, but both were ridiculously good. The Cable Car was first brewed for the original Toronado's 21st (I think) anniversary and it's not easy to find. I had some at a rare beer tasting during SD Beer Week last year and other than Yellow Bus is my favorite Lost Abbey beer. It's a sour geuze. Not Cantillion sour, but it's incredibly good. I think they're still selling bottles at the brewery for $75, but the rough part is that you have to drink it there. You can't take it with you.

I also was able to finally try the North Coast Old Rasputin XII and it too is incredible. I also had a Sierra/Anchor Fritz & Ken (Sierra's 30th anniversary beer) as well as a few other beers I hadn't yet been able to try. Sierra's Dark Forces Imperial Porter, Alpine Beer Company's Hoppy Birthday, Russian River Temptation and Supplicationm, Port Brewing 4th Anniversary DIPA, Pport Carlsbad Black Wave...

The best part of the evening was that I got up to use the restroom about 10:00 and on my way there was elbowed by Tomme Arthur (director of brewing for Lost Abbey). We've known Tomme for about 6 years now and it just brought a bit of a smile to my face that arguably, one of the best craft brewers in the US and the brewer of the Cable Car and Angels Share was there, at the Toronado and NONE of the hipster douche bags that frequent the Toronado had any clue who he was. Tomme was waiting for Ian (Toronado owner) and was just standing there talking to no one. I can't say I've ever been to a beer event where Tomme wasn't swarmed before.

and yes, Tuesday was rough!

05-26-2010 04:48 PM #2032
      Quote Originally Posted by nmap View Post
      I work downtown in one of the most difficult to find bars in SD. I don't want to get too specific, but if you know SD beer bars that may be enough for you.
      Missed this post, I've got a guess but it might give away the location. Maybe I should walk in and say "I'd like to see nmap" and see what happens since I walk by that location to see performances (if I'm thinking of the right place).

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Tacoma
      05-26-2010 04:50 PM #2033
      Quote Originally Posted by salsanacho View Post
      Missed this post, I've got a guess but it might give away the location. Maybe I should walk in and say "I'd like to see nmap" and see what happens since I walk by that location to see performances (if I'm thinking of the right place).
      We're thinking of the same place

05-26-2010 04:56 PM #2034
      Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
      We're thinking of the same place
      Haha, time to set up a vortex tasting event there.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      crappy nissans for days...
      05-26-2010 09:46 PM #2035
      haha. I knew I shouldn't have said anything. Nmap may get you some blank stares from the staff... just look for the tall skinny dude and say hello. I'm there... alot. I've had a dream of holding a car show around the fountian since I started a year ago. If there was a vortex takeover it would make at least one of my regulars giddy, he's a huge VW head.

We're doing an Alagash night here pretty soon... June 11th. Curieux, Victor, Victoria, Confluence, Wit, Interlude, Odyssey, Fluxus '09, Fours and Dubbel. Should be fun, I've heard good things about the Interlude and Odyssey.

Our Bitter/Sour night was really fun. Consecration/Supplication/Temptation, Red Poppy and Lost Abbey Frambois... there were lots more, but those were definitely the stars of the tap list. Supplication and the Frambois both blew my mind.

Not to hijack the best beers thread into the SD beer hangout, but have you guys tried Port OB yet? I haven't quite made it out there, maybe tonight or Monday.
      Last edited by nmap; 05-26-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Tacoma
      05-27-2010 01:21 PM #2036
      We know the local beer industry people pretty well and my wife was able to go to the "friends and family" event at Pizza Port OB on the Friday it opened. Doors opened at 11 for those invited and the doors to the public opened at 5. She was able to drink free pitchers and eat free pizza all day.

She said it's just like all the other pizza ports. Bigger than Solana Beach, but smaller than Carlsbad and it works the same way. Order your food from one place and your beer from another. Picnic bench seating and pictures from a local OB artist on the wall.

I'm going for lunch tomorrow (Friday May 28th) for the first time and I cannot wait!

05-27-2010 01:59 PM #2037
      Cool, sounds like a good place, I usually go to the Solana beach one and it's usually too cramped. The secret is if it's really busy, head straight to the beer line and they'll let you order food as well as your beer. Then you won't have to wait in the long food line.

8. Banned
      05-27-2010 03:21 PM #2038
      haha. I knew I shouldn't have said anything.
      lulz u think u are sneaky about working at downtown johnny browns.

9. 05-28-2010 04:43 PM #2039
      Had a rough night with this stuff last summer and was pleased to find it in big bottles at QFC the other day. Iron Horse Brewery Quilter's Irish Death. Super malty, real heavy mouth feel but I love a good malt bomb. May be a bit much for some so YMMV.

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      05-29-2010 01:46 AM #2040
      I've only been to pizza port San Clemente. Kicks ass though! Today I went to beachwood BBQ today and had the bruery's coton, dfh festina peche, and helped my wife out with Port brewing 4th Ann. DIPA. They tapped Pliny right after we left Going to the bruery on Sunday and tomorrow going to ladyface. I believe they have judgement day on right now.

Vehicles
      2014 Jetta GLI Autobahn
      05-29-2010 02:49 PM #2041
      Three Floyds Robert the Bruce scottish style ale. It has a medium body and a nice flavor.

12. 06-01-2010 03:39 PM #2042
      Saturday had a Drake's Denogginizer and a Gordon at Ladyface with Mr. Bungle.
      Sunday I was drunk by 10am, its just what happens when you play golf at 8am and a friend brings a mini keg of Newcastle and we get some Scotch from the cart girl.
      Yesterday enjoyed a Port 4th Anniversary, its DAMN good! Also had an Alpine Nelson and some SN Torpedo.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      06-01-2010 07:17 PM #2043
      If Alpine Brewing Company ever decides to quit making IPA's, I'll cry.

Tried the Hoppy Birthday after a couple Nelsons last night at Toronado. It's damn good... I swear those guys have IPA's locked down.

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      06-01-2010 07:30 PM #2044
      yeah the Port 4th is great! I really liked the Ladyface Chesebro DIPA, especially on cask.

Took a little vacation to So Cal over the weekend and thanks to MrTopher helping me out with sourcing some beer, I have a nice shipment in it's way to me. I was going to go to the Bruery on Sunday but we weren't able to but at least I got to try Coton at Beachwood.

left to right:

Bruery - Rugbrod
      Firestone Walker - Parabola
      Stone - Saison du Buff
      Lost Abbey - Judgement Day
      Stone - El Camino Un real
      Lost Abbey - Avant Garde
      Stone - Saison du Buff
      Stone - Cali Belgique
      Stone - El Camino un real
      Port - 4th ann.
      Russian River Consecration
      Alpine - Nelson (Thanks Topher!)

I wanted to get more but I only had room for 12. And I'm broke.
      Last edited by leitmotif; 06-01-2010 at 07:33 PM.

15. 06-01-2010 07:45 PM #2045
      If Alpine Brewing Company ever decides to quit making IPA's, I'll cry.

Tried the Hoppy Birthday after a couple Nelsons last night at Toronado. It's damn good... I swear those guys have IPA's locked down.
      Amen, they are hands down becoming my favorite IPA producer. I don’t want to start a pissing match but I think Stone made some great stuff and I still buy there stuff. And same with Greenflash, and Alesmith, and Russian River, and Lagunitas. I just think Alpine is locking IPA (& DIPA) down, they have 3 IPAs in the top 100 beer list on beeradvocate, doesn’t that tell you something?!?!

EDIT: They have 4 (D)IPAs; Exponential Hoppiness (62), Nelson (73), Pure Hoppiness (84), Duet (92)
      Last edited by MrTopher; 06-01-2010 at 07:53 PM.

06-01-2010 09:09 PM #2046
      Three Floyds Gumballhead
      a hoppy american wheat...great summer beer
      MADSPEED

17. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      06-02-2010 03:31 AM #2047
      tried Wells Banana Bread Beer the other day.

i'm not the biggest fan of bananas, but this was pretty good. easy to drink and the flavor was definitely not over powering. reminded me of the banana runts.

welcome to the layer cake

18. Member
      Vehicles
      06-02-2010 05:45 AM #2048
      I'm surprised that Expo is still rated as high as it apparently is. The first batch I had about a year and a half ago was awesome, the latest batch released a few months ago was too skewed towards big alcohol for me. Especially seeing what Russian River does with the balance on Younger, there isn't a reason this batch of Expo is as alcohol forward as it is. The Alpine guys also happen to be kick ass. We buy up as much Alpine as we can, but I'm afraid our supply is going to dry up after their BBQ place opens up.

Still a great beer, but I would put expo as my least favorite of the 6 or so alpine IPA's I can remember trying.

Nelson is one of my top 5 beers, definitely one that would end up on my desert island with me.

Edit:

Nice bottle picks. Remember to drink those IPA's as soon as possible. If you can trade someone that Consecration for a Supplication or a Beatification, dooo it!
      Last edited by nmap; 06-02-2010 at 05:53 AM.

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      06-02-2010 10:44 AM #2049
      Best thing I've had recently? I went to Sierra Nevada Beer Camp in Chico about a month ago, while I was there we tried an Imperial Pils from the fermenter that was brewed by the previous beer class. It was AMAZING. Too bad the only people who will be getting the beer is the Sierra Nevada brew pub, and the accounts of the other beer camp. I could drink that beer all damn day long and come back for more.
      nmap - I just saw a facebook post from Library Alehouse (Santa Monica) talking about their beer camp beer. They were in the group that did the pilsner you were talking about. It looks like they'll have it on draft next week.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Volt, 1972 Cadillac Eldorado
      06-02-2010 11:50 AM #2050
      My current flavor of the week:

Vehicles
      '14 S4
      06-03-2010 10:44 AM #2051

The Best of the Best right here!

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Tacoma
      06-03-2010 12:02 PM #2052
      I'm surprised that Expo is still rated as high as it apparently is. The first batch I had about a year and a half ago was awesome, the latest batch released a few months ago was too skewed towards big alcohol for me.
      The last batch of Exponential that Alpine released was the first 15 barrel batch they've brewed since they upgraded their output capacity. They used to only have 7 barrel fermenters, but bought Alesmith's old system and now have several 15 barren fermenters out back. They still have their 7 barrel fermenters inside and would brew the Exponential there. When they brewed the 15 barrel batch they basically just doubled the regular recipe and the most recent batch didn't come out all that great.

This happened with several of their other beers as well when they went from 7 barrel batches to 15 barrel batches since it's not as simple as just doubling the recipe. The hop utilization changes as well as the attenuation of the wort in the larger fermenter. They still only have a 7 barrel boil kettle so they have to double batch it in order to fill a 15 barrel fermenter.

Port Brewing had this same issue when they moved into Stone's old brewery with their Wipeout IPA.

Don't worry though. Exponential Hoppiness will be back to normal in no time

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      06-03-2010 12:06 PM #2053

Port Brewing had this same issue when they moved into Stone's old brewery with their Wipeout IPA.
      Yes, except they also have carbonation issues. Flat hop 15 is not good.

24. 06-03-2010 01:13 PM #2054
      Quote Originally Posted by leitmotif View Post
      Yes, except they also have carbonation issues. Flat hop 15 is not good.
      Port/LA continue to have carbonation issues, it’d be nice if they got them ironed out but until then I’m not going to stop buying their products.

I’m still looking for some Exponential; I’m able to find Nelson, Duet, and Pure, but still no Exponential. It’ll just have to wait for the next time I go down to San Diego, or they start to distribute more to LA County.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      06-03-2010 09:26 PM #2055
      nmap - I just saw a facebook post from Library Alehouse (Santa Monica) talking about their beer camp beer. They were in the group that did the pilsner you were talking about. It looks like they'll have it on draft next week.
      Drink it! Drink it all! I'm pretty sure I'm still half mast over that beer. It's not that it's earth shatteringly flavorful, but it's so hard to hide flaws in a well executed pils. I wonder if I called them up if they would trade me a keg of their Pils for a keg of my Martzen!

About the fermenter size upgrades, the last batch of Sculpin suffered from this. I heard Ballast Point was considering bottling sculpin, so they moved the last production from Home Brew Mart over to Scripps Ranch. We threw a Ballast Point night and got a keg of the new sculpin, and while it was ok, we knew there was something amiss. Those guys are awesome to work with, came out and swapped another keg of sculpin on... which was better, but still not gold medal World Beer Cup material. I'm sure they'll get it worked out in the next batch. I would love a good sculpin right now.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      06-06-2010 12:21 PM #2056
      I've been drinking Hazed and Infused, from Boulder Beer, for years now...still my favorite.

Lately, I finally had Stone's Ruination IPA. OH MY GOD THE BITTERNESS NEVER MAKE IT STOP

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      06-06-2010 09:25 PM #2057
      Yesterday I went to a small local "beerfest". I spent most of my time drinking Festina Peche. Such a great summer beer. I also sampled Avery's Samael (oak aged barleywine) which was nice but definitely drank like it's ABV at 16%. Real Ale Highlander, barrel aged scotch ale. Had a pint of Palo Santo Maron which was way more woody on tap. I also had Widmer's PricklyPear Braggot. Not too sweet which was nice. And also had Brewdog Dogma. I was not impressed as it was over spiced. Everything else there I didn't list because I've already had it. We're limited here in TX. It's not like at Beachwood BBQ where if they can buy a keg of something, they can put it on at the restaurant. So the fest lacked anything terribly difficult to find aside from the Highlander and the Festina Peche. We can't get Festina Peche in bottles because it is under 5% and does not say "beer", it says "ale" Some idiots here at the TABC seem to think anything over 5% ABV has to be called ale, and anything under "beer".

Well today my wife and I shared a Stone Russian Imperial Stout. I did not like this beer last year. I wasn't into stouts. I absolutely loved it today!

After that we shared a Stone/21st Amendment/ Firestone collab El Camino un Real (thanks to MrTopher). Excellent beer. It's brewed with fennel seed, chia seed, pink peppercorns, and mission figs. It was surprisingly good and drinkable. Had it with some meatloaf tonight and it paired very well.

Next up we split a bottle (mind you the stone collabs are small bottles) of the Stone/DFH/Victory collab Saison du BUFF. Excellent beer! It's brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. I got a ton of sage in the nose and a lot of rosemary in the finish. It drank very nicely!
      Last edited by leitmotif; 06-06-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Vehicles
      2013 Toyota Tacoma
      06-07-2010 12:45 PM #2058
      I've been able to try both the El Camino Un-Real and the Saison Du BUFF in the past few weeks. I thought both were very good and would recommend both to anyone and everyone.

We also had 2 flat bottles of Lost Abbey 4th Anniversary beer. I've had the beer on tap a couple times already and they were carbonated correctly so it's not like these bottles were my only opportunity to drink them, but it is disappointing to end up with flat beer.

I have quite the stash of Lost Abbey bottles tucked away aging and I think I'm going to have one of my carbonator caps handy when I open them in case they're flat too. If I open one and they're flat, I can pour the contents into a 1 liter plastic bottle, screw the carbonator cap on and give it a charge of CO2 to carbonate it a bit. Sucks to have to do that, but I'm not going to let these beers go to waste just because they're flat.

Matt

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      06-07-2010 01:04 PM #2059

We also had 2 flat bottles of Lost Abbey 4th Anniversary beer. I've had the beer on tap a couple times already and they were carbonated correctly so it's not like these bottles were my only opportunity to drink them, but it is disappointing to end up with flat beer.

I have quite the stash of Lost Abbey bottles tucked away aging and I think I'm going to have one of my carbonator caps handy when I open them in case they're flat too. If I open one and they're flat, I can pour the contents into a 1 liter plastic bottle, screw the carbonator cap on and give it a charge of CO2 to carbonate it a bit. Sucks to have to do that, but I'm not going to let these beers go to waste just because they're flat.

Matt
      Greaaat! I have a bottle of 3rd and one of 4th. I want to taste them side by side. We had some 4th on draft at Beachwood and it was a hop bomb! Super good! I think I've had flat Angel's Share, Hop 15, and Shark Attack. I have a bottle of Shark Attack in the fridge right now too.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      06-07-2010 02:45 PM #2060
      Port/Lost Abbey bottle carbonation issues continue.

4th Anniversary on draft has been excellent at a couple bars I've been too. Flat I can see how it would be borderline undrinkable.

31. 06-07-2010 05:16 PM #2061
      Port/Lost Abbey bottle carbonation issues continue.

4th Anniversary on draft has been excellent at a couple bars I've been too. Flat I can see how it would be borderline undrinkable.
      The 4th I had last week was flat also, but still tasted GREAT, what's funny is I had it on draft at Lucky Baldwins and it was super carbonated. When it came to the table had 3 inches of head that slowly died down.

Vehicles
      '05 Ducati Monster S2R 800, '66 Suzuki X6 Hustler Cafe, '67 Suzuki X6 Scrambler
      06-11-2010 09:54 AM #2062
      I just found out that I moved about 20 mins away from the hook and ladder brewery for the summer. I did a quick search but i came up with nothing. Any thoughts on the brewery? Best beers? Worth the drive? Thanks!

06-11-2010 11:42 AM #2063
      any brewery 20min away is worth checking out in person
      MADSPEED

34. 06-11-2010 01:16 PM #2064
      Hook & Ladder reviews on BA for you...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/206

35. 06-14-2010 02:00 PM #2065
      Ventured up to the Bay Area this weekend, had some DAMN good stuff while I was there. Had the following via bottles:
      Had an Alpine IPA flight, nice to try them side by side.
      Duet – Really buttery and delicious
      Nelson – I think is the best of the Alpine (D)IPAs, but I still haven’t had the Exponential.
      Pure Hoppiness – Really dry and crisp, a good DIPA

DFH – Squall, this was very good. Reminds me of a CASK but out of a bottle, great IPA.
      DFH – Aprihop, wish this wasn’t seasonal, simply beautiful.
      Ukiah – Barley Wine, buddy got a bottle w/o a label from the brewery about 3 months ago, it was REALLY good! If you’re north of SF bay check them out, friend claims they have GREAT food.
      Port – 4th Anniversary, shocked this had some carbonation and I had bought this with another and the other had none.
      FW - Growler of Unfiltered DBA, I freaking love this stuff. The growler went QUICK!
      Lagunitas – IPA, buddy has a kegorator and had this on draft so this was our session beer.

We ventured into SF one day.
      Went to 21st Amendment.
      Hell or High Watermelon – AWESOME wheat beer with watermelon flavor, served with a wedge of watermelon.
      Golden Boom – Belgian Golden Ale, was REALLY good also.
      Poor Richard’s Ale – They call it a Collonial beer, but was more like a Belgian Dark on the mild side. Really good.
      Rammstein – Unfiltered traditional Hef, I like this most of the 4.

Hit up Toronado, this place is a HOLE in the wall, but really is cool!
      Lagunitas – Little Sumpin Wild Ale, IMO was NOT wild at all, just tasted like LSA with some fruit tones, was really disappointed.
      LA – Double Serpent Stout, this was awesome not as awesome as FW Parabola, but still REALLY good, and STRONG.

Finally we ended at Magnolia, cool little gastro pub on Haight St, about a mile from Toronado.
      Had there IPA on Cask, was really good.
      Then had there Sara’s Ruby Mild on cask, this was also a great session beer.
      I was really impressed with the drink and food at Magnolia, if you’re ever in SF check it out!

Oh and stoped a FW in Paso Robles on the way.
      Nectar IPA, was decent, but not amazing.
      Parabola, had about a 4oz serving for $3.75... I was shocked at the price, but it was SO good!
      Sadly they didn't have Double Jack for growler fills or tasting, and I wasn't going to ask the price of a growler of Parabola. Got Unfiltered DBA, AWESOME stuff!

Needless to say I had an awesome mini vacation.
      Last edited by MrTopher; 06-14-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Page 59 of 127 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast