VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Low RPM on Idle valve tap

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  squallyv2 
#1 ·
I'm getting what sounds like a valve tap on low rpm idle. It's only when the engine is warmed up, and it doesnt do it all the time. I think it may be either, just bad gas, or wrong oil for TX temperatures. I just wanna make sure there's nothing more than what im thinking.

#2 ·
Re: Low RPM on Idle valve tap (squallyv2)

you might be hearing the injectors and 20valves that are opening and closing, all of our cars make this noise. Now if its an actual rattle or TAP TAP TAP TAP then you might have an issue. but low clicking noise is ok mine is sometimes louder then usual but that is bc i open and close my hood often and sometimes the rubber rain tray / hood trim gets mis aligned.

#3 ·
Re: Low RPM on Idle valve tap (theswoleguy)

Oh, its louder than that. It's definitely a very distinct tap, that doesnt do it all the time, but when it does, the engine is warmed up.

#4 ·
Re: Low RPM on Idle valve tap (squallyv2)

Ok, I've changed plugs, wires, oil, and still no luck. . . I have noticed that it doesnt just start tapping, it works its way into it, starting quiet, and gettin louder. . . Someone had mentioned that it could be the smog pump? If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or ways i can pinpoint the problem thanks in advance.

#6 ·
Re: (slowonder)

If it were the injectors, would it not do it while the engine was cold? Even when the engine is warmed up, it doesnt do it all the time, it stops and starts, but about 60% of the time when its warmed up it makes the tap when i stop, and the engine idles down to about 700rpm. If i raise the RPM to 800-900 the tap stops tho. If I could just bump up the idle it'd be fine, but gotta love DBW.

#9 ·
Re: (squallyv2)

I have a similar noise. A tapping sound that seems to cycle on/off. It's more pronounced on deceleration in 1st & 2nd. A mechanic told me it's a "ventil stoessel." That's German, I don't know what it is in English, sorry. He said it isn't worth fixing until more of these "stoessel" fail.

#10 ·
Re: (Elcroato)

lol, is the mechanic acctually german, or was he just trying to spice it up? ventil stoessel means valve tap.... and if he said till more stoessel's go bad, he probably was just trying to spice it up, cause stoessel is just tappet. if thats really what it is, i can deal with that. thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.