Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Switch from CIS to carb on my 1.7 what do i need

1. 09-02-2007 05:33 PM #1
      What parts would i need to rip out my CIS setup and rig up a carb setup.....i would swap the parts from a stock rabbit but i dont know exactly what parts i need from the car...
      Doesn't hate Honda's as much since the started puttin BBS's on them.

Vehicles
      1978 WackyWabbit (sold)
      09-02-2007 08:13 PM #2
      Parts needed:

1. carb intake manifold
      2. carb & throttle linkage
      3. low pressure fuel pump

The CIS fuel pump, accumulator, fuel distributor, CIS intake manifold, and CIS return fuel line (unless the carb used has fuel return which is rare) can be returned. You will need to sort through the wiring diagrams to strip out the CIS wiring.

Cheers, WWR.

WWR
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
      signature edition
      Harry Puckett R.I.P. 01-24-2010. You are gone too soon. We had races
      to race, jokes to tell, laughter to share, and cold beers to drink.

3. 09-02-2007 08:29 PM #3
      well i have a bentley so sorting through the wiring shouldnt be too difficult how much do you think would be a good price for those thins theres someone stripping a carb 82 rabbit and im thinkin about buyin the parts for it from him

So i guess I can just fab up my own fuel line..but what about the connection to the pump when i changed my pump the pump has a screw in fitting for the pump to accumulator, i know im askin mad questions but thanks for the help

Modified by No1HondaHateR at 5:37 PM 9-2-2007

Vehicles
      1978 WackyWabbit (sold)
      09-02-2007 11:27 PM #4
      If your existing CIS fuel injection is working, a conversion to a carb setup may not be the best option as the VW factory Solex carb is a PITA to get running right.

I do not have a good estimate of the price of the carb setup as I really don't know why anyone would want a Solex carb if that is the carb on the '82 Rabbit.

If the carb setup on the '82 Rabbit is not currently running, then you may be looking at a rebuild of the carb.

Good luck, WWR.

WWR
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
      signature edition

5. 09-03-2007 12:24 AM #5
      youre probably right......i saw the parts in the classifieds and figured if it could be a good idea i might do it but its all thought right now.....you seem to have a pretty good knowledge maybe you can helpo me out with this problem when i put gas in my bunny after a while it rises back up and comes out and spills on to the ground straight from where i put it in any suggestions

6. 09-03-2007 12:34 AM #6
      I did this swap to a Scirocco in the 90's, before Megasquirt was available.

I was able to keep the CIS pump by looping the feed line to the return line and teeing off of the loop. The tee off the loop went to the carb. Then a restrictor after the tee kept the fuel pressure around 5 psi.
      Kinda hard to explain w/o a picture i guess...

09-03-2007 08:11 AM #7
      go weber. a 32/36 will be good. these carbs like low pressure but lots of gallons per hour. a guy around here uses the stock mechanical fuel pump on his weber 32/36 and it works perfect.

2 barrel intake. bead blasted and hih temp cleared.

weber 2 barrel carb. this is just a 32/32 so i am holding on to it as a spare.

the intake is going on the caddy when i get the chance. oh these parts are not for sale.

Vehicles
      1978 WackyWabbit (sold)
      09-03-2007 08:57 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by No1HondaHateR »
      this problem when i put gas in my bunny after a while it rises back up and comes out and spills on to the ground straight from where i put it in any suggestions

All gas tanks must be vented in some manner. In the case of the Rabbit gas tank, there is a Breather Gravity Vent Valve that preforms this function.

This valve is normally located at the top of the right rear fenderwell. The valve is open unless the car rolls over. However due to years of usage, the valve can become restricted and not allow the tank to vent.

Cheers, WWR.

WWR
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
      signature edition

9. 09-04-2007 09:54 PM #9
      i just got the bentley manual and bumped into that part and thought it could be the problem but the bentley never told me what it did but since the gas is defying gravity i figured it was the thing i took it out but havent tested it yet

10. 09-04-2007 09:56 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by vinayak »
      go weber. a 32/36 will be good. these carbs like low pressure but lots of gallons per hour. a guy around here uses the stock mechanical fuel pump on his weber 32/36 and it works perfect.

2 barrel intake. bead blasted and hih temp cleared.

weber 2 barrel carb. this is just a 32/32 so i am holding on to it as a spare.

the intake is going on the caddy when i get the chance. oh these parts are not for sale.

these carbs are run on the stock manifold i take it and how hard would one of these carbs hit me in the pocket

09-04-2007 10:13 PM #11
      brand new carbs http://www.webercarbsdirect.co...2.htm

but can be had used for less. may require a rebuild, cheap if you have the know how.

as far as intakes i could not tell you. i have gotten lucky and scored mine from the junkyard. in 5 years i have only seen the 2 i have and one 1 barrel(dont suggest a 1 bbl) at the yard. look at dashers they have them but an adapter is needed for it.

12. Senior Member Muffler Bearing's Avatar
      Vehicles
      54 green, 73 blue, 77 gold, 84 brown
      09-04-2007 10:20 PM #12
      you need a ****ing clue

cis > carbs

-j

A Rabbit is not to be wasted on the tentative or weak. Only the worthy are invited, and then only at your own risk. If you have even a modicum of hesitation, DO NOT buy one of these cars. Instead, leave it for a worthy soul who has already matriculated to the sublime ecstasy of what those in the know refer to as a "MK1"

13. 09-04-2007 11:06 PM #13
      You can get VW manifolds from Redline. They are called "Cannon". Very nice, but you might have to clearance them a little so they don't rub on the exhaust manifold. No biggie.

Must be an early Rabbit manifold as shown in the pic. I don't think the 83 and 84 stock manifolds would be very good: small diameter runners, large flow-restricting internal heater, also I think you would need an adapter plate.

DFEV kit with manifold might be in the 400$ range nowadays.

The biggest problem with this conversion is that there is no how-to manual, and another major problem is "run-on" aka "dieseling" unless the idle speed is set at 850 rpm or below, which might bring you more vibration.

The Weber is an excellent carburetor, but unless you are fortunate to have a carburetor tuner in the neighborhood, you might find it takes several years to "figure it all out". Nevertheless, fuel economy can be quite good, 33 -37 mpg if lean tuned.

Modified by chickenfriend at 11:20 PM 9-4-2007

Vehicles
      1978 WackyWabbit (sold)
      09-04-2007 11:16 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by chickenfriend »
      The biggest problem with this conversion is that there is no how-to manual

True. So it is time to break out the "thinking brain cells" and figure out things for yourself.

Good luck, WWR.

WWR
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
      signature edition

09-04-2007 11:17 PM #15
      the one shown is a weber intake made for vw i think. i know its at least 20 years old. the other one i have is off a dasher and it did need an adapter plate to change the bolt pattern. there are no clearance issues with the dasher intake with the adapter plate.

oh carbs are not for the faint of heart. if you have no idea how they work i dont suggest you change over. i have owned a number of aircooleds and other carbed cars so i have a good understanding of them.

16. 09-05-2007 12:07 AM #16
      I used to look at the whole carb thing as being pretty simple but i guess like all things theyre a little more complicated when you really consider puttin in the wrench time

Modified by No1HondaHateR at 9:08 PM 9-4-2007

Vehicles
      I quit counting.
      09-05-2007 06:27 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by No1HondaHateR »
      I used to look at the whole carb thing as being pretty simple but i guess like all things theyre a little more complicated when you really consider puttin in the wrench time

A CIS setup, though having more components, is 10X easier to deal with.

Built > Bought
      58 Beetle | 79 Rabbit 20vT | 84 GTI TDI |84 GTI 16vT |12 Golf TDI ----99 QCSB Ram Cummins | 02 Burb 4x4 2500

09-05-2007 07:18 AM #18
      Quote, originally posted by vdubspeed »

A CIS setup, though having more components, is 10X easier to deal with.

this is like a vw tech arguing with a honda tech, which is easier to work on. i find carbs easier. why? i grew up with carbs and now getting into fuel injection i find fuel injection harder to deal with.