Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Warning Light - Triangle w/Circle Around It

1. 09-18-2007 09:18 AM #1
      Every now and then I get the amber light with the triangle surrounded by a circle. Then the trans starts shifting real hard. When I restart the car it goes away, but comes back every now and then. Especially when I am in traffic after a long trip. Anyone have a clue?

2. 09-18-2007 09:22 AM #2
      ASR - Automated Slip Regulater

3. 09-18-2007 09:31 AM #3
      If you have an ASR you should have an ASR button on the dash beside the hazard switch that allows you to turn it off

Vehicles
      2002 Bora TDI, 1994 2.0 16v Corrado, 1991 MK2 Golf, 1983 MK1 Golf Driver, MK4 Golf, 1971 Fastback
      09-18-2007 09:37 AM #4
      you probably have a broken abs sensor wire at your front brakes.
      Baz

Vehicles
      '05/VW/GTI 1.8T & '09/VW/Jetta 2.5
      09-18-2007 09:43 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by lama_daboul »

Just a quick question....not too far off topic.....when did they change from ASR to ESP? Or are they 2 different things????

6. 09-18-2007 09:49 AM #6
      So how do I handle this until I get the car serviced?

Should I just turn off the ASR when I start the car or turn off the ASR when the light comes on?

Thanks for the quick resposes...

Is that sensor easy to repair or will I have to take it into the shop?

7. 09-18-2007 10:08 AM #7
      Electronic Stabilization Program

ESP can help prevent crashes and rollovers by stabilizing a vehicle at the onset of a skid. Using a variety of sensors, ESP helps stabilize the handling of the car by braking the individual wheels selectively and by automatically adjusting the engine’s output. The system works in conjunction with the anti-lock brakes and traction control systems that are already standard on every Volkswagen model.

Anti-Slip Regulation

Anti-Slip Regulation improves driving and steering characteristics by preventing the front wheels from spinning under acceleration. When a difference in driving wheel speed is detected, the system automatically reduces engine torque. Electronic Differential Lock uses the ABS sensors to determine if one wheel is spinning faster than the other.

Modified by Sub-Zero Carvings at 9:15 AM 9-18-2007

8. 09-18-2007 10:17 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by Sub-Zero Carvings »

ESP can help prevent crashes and rollovers by stabilizing a vehicle at the onset of a skid. Using a variety of sensors, ESP helps stabilize the handling of the car by braking the individual wheels selectively and by automatically adjusting the engine’s output. The system works in conjunction with the anti-lock brakes and traction control systems that are already standard on every Volkswagen model.

Anti-Slip Regulation

Anti-Slip Regulation improves driving and steering characteristics by preventing the front wheels from spinning under acceleration. When a difference in driving wheel speed is detected, the system automatically reduces engine torque. Electronic Differential Lock uses the ABS sensors to determine if one wheel is spinning faster than the other.

so would it be better to race with asr on but with esp it would need to be off?

9. 09-18-2007 10:20 AM #9
      Never race with ASR on. Your car will apply braking power to the engine whenever the wheels loose grip.

ASR will stop you in the middle of your burnout comming off the line or when your car breaks loose after a hard shift.

Just lay a brakestand before any race to heat up your tires. Warm rubber grips asphalt better than cold rubber.

As for that sensor, try leaving it off and see how your car behaves without it. And I wouldn't imagine you could fix that yourself, unless you're a mechanic.

Modified by hipsiguy at 6:31 AM 9-18-2007

10. 09-18-2007 07:51 PM #10
      Well on the way home with the ASR off the problem happened again. Tranny started slamming gears, so I pulled over and restarted - fine for the rest of the trip home.

Could I have a leak of some sort, vacuum or something...

Vehicles
      2002/VW/Jetta 24V VR6
      09-18-2007 07:55 PM #11
      no cel?...sound like MAF on the way out...hittin limp mode maybe

i dunno, i've been drinking a lot already

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      09-18-2007 07:56 PM #12
      esb incoporates asr, if you have esp you have to turn both of them off, it can't be one or the other (at least via the switch in the car).

all asr does is cut the throttle. if you are seeing the warning light when accelerating it's because the car is detecting wheel slip, and cutting the thottle.

Dave

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      09-18-2007 07:58 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Bazmcc »
      you probably have a broken abs sensor wire at your front brakes.
      Baz

if the abs sensor wire was broken you would get an abs light and it would stay on.

Dave

14. Banned
      09-18-2007 08:06 PM #14
      wheel speed sensor..

15. 09-19-2007 05:00 AM #15
      I may sound extremly stupid but my Jetta did the same thing and I researched and traced it to a boost leak at the DV (Stock ones notorious for failing)... swapped out the DV and never had a problem again.

Modified by Alpha Wolf at 3:08 AM 9-19-2007

16. 09-19-2007 08:59 AM #16
      Thanks fellas, dang thing happen twice this morning on the way in. Seems to happen when I am in traffic and the foot is on the brake for long intervals. I do have a modified dv forged007 and a stock air box.

Well I will check all my clamps and try again, either way it as been a while since the car has been in the shop - may be time for a check up...

17. 09-20-2007 10:24 AM #17
      I checked the clamps on the dv valve and they needed a tightening. Either way, still turning the asr light on and slamming my gears as they shift.

Vehicles
      '05/VW/GTI 1.8T & '09/VW/Jetta 2.5
      09-24-2007 08:12 AM #18
      Quote, originally posted by Sub-Zero Carvings »

Anti-Slip Regulation

Thanks a lot for breaking it down for me. Much appreciated.

Vehicles
      1970 Karmann Ghia, Mk2 Diesel Beast
      09-24-2007 10:16 AM #19
      Quote, originally posted by lama_daboul »

thats service right there

Pelican club VIP

20. 09-25-2007 07:11 AM #20
      When was the last time the DV was greased? Is it opening and relieving the pressure? I only stress this cause another friend of mine had the same problem on hers 1.8T on Saturday and it was also a malunctioning DV.

21. 09-25-2007 09:17 AM #21
      I have never greased it. I check the clamps on it after a road trip and they were loose, also the valve was really hot too - is this normal?

Is there a procedure that I can follow to grease it and with what grease?

The weird thing is if I shut the car down and then restart everything is fine... Can you explain that?

22. 09-26-2007 10:05 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by 2002GLS1.8t »
      I have never greased it. I check the clamps on it after a road trip and they were loose, also the valve was really hot too - is this normal?

Is there a procedure that I can follow to grease it and with what grease?

The weird thing is if I shut the car down and then restart everything is fine... Can you explain that?

The valve getting hot is normal (unless its glowing red)

Here are the servicing instructions:
      http://www.forgemotorsport.com/valve_service.pdf

I can't explain why it resets when the car is turned off... probable cause there is no boost or vac keeping it open or closed. Could also be just the ECU restting itself like the problem never happened.

Do you have VAG-COM or know anyone that does? See what kind of code its throwing.

It is a very wierd mystery.

Modified by Alpha Wolf at 8:09 PM 9-26-2007