Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: *DIY Manual steering rack replacement*

Vehicles
      '89 Mk2 Jetta, '96 Mk3 Golf VR6
      09-21-2007 03:51 PM #1
      First up: USE TRESSLES!!!!!

Safety first. You do not want a 1 tonne car squashing you when you're crawling around underneath it. Please don't use a jack to hold the car up. Use tressles.

Second: this is for a right hand drive Mk2, but the LHD's would be very similar

Stuff needed:

New steering rack
      Tressles
      New steering rack boots
      New rack mounting rubbers
      Steering universal joint bellows
      Tie-rod ends, ball joints, etc if needed
      13mm, 17mm, 19mm, 22mm and 28mm ring/flat spanners and sockets
      Hammer
      Soft metal drift
      Vernier caliper

Optional extras:

Coca Cola
      Sigarettes
      Patience
      A few choice words for getting the rack out of the car.....

First jack front of car up, remove front wheels and support with tressles.....

Remove the left and right ball joints. Some models have a 17mm nut and others a 19mm nut.

Remove the 3 bolts holding the gearshift mechanism to the steering rack. 13mm bolts.....

Remove the steering universal joint bellows by slicing with a Stanley knife blade.....or if yours is still OK just push it up and out the way.....

Centre the steering wheel and chock it in place with something. I used an old amp mounting rack between the seat and the steering wheel.....

With the bellows out the way, loosen and remove the 13mm bolt holding the universal joint to the rack.....

Remove the 4 nuts on the 2 clamps (2 on the left and 2 on the right) and gently knock out the front 2 bolts using the drift and hammer. By removing the front 2 bolts, it's easier to maneuver the rack to get it out.....

Remove the 2 clamps.....

Slide the universal joint upwards and off the steering rack. Then wiggle, push, pull, choice words, wiggle some more, more choice words to get the rack out towards the left front wheel.....

Admire the old and the new. I gave the new rack a few coats off matt black engine enamel.....

Take off the old mounting rubbers and put on new rubbers on the new rack. I have polyurethane mountings. Put them in when I done the motor swop.....

Pull the rack boots off the rack and be astounded by the sight of a Chernobyl-type nuclear waste.....454 000km's can do this to a steering rack!!!!!

Next, use the 22mm and 28mm ring/flat spanners to loosen the lock-nuts on the tie-rods. The lock-nut is 22mm and the ball joint is 28mm.....

Now you have to centralise the new rack. Use the vernier caliper and make sure both sides of the rack ends stick out an equal amount on both sides.....

Next set the vernier on 70,5mm.

Now screw the lock-nut and the rod ends onto the new rack. Use the vernier to make sure both side are the same distance fom the points shown. These measurements are from the Mk2 Haynes manual.
      If your Mk2's ball joints, tie-rod ends, rubber boots etc are FUBAR, now is the time to replace with new stuff.

Stand back and admire your handiwork.....

Now for more choice words, wiggling, etc and......

VOILA.....

Started at 12:15pm.
      Finished at 3:45pm.

Now take the car for wheel alignment.

'89 Mk2 Jetta. 8 valve - check. Boost - check.
      '96 Mk3 Golf VR6, some stuff done.

09-21-2007 03:54 PM #2
      Nice DIY write up.

Vehicles
      2010 Hyundai Accent 1992 Mazda Miata
      09-21-2007 03:58 PM #3
      Nice DIY, good work!
      Quote Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
      Going to church is bland. Eating vanilla ice cream is bland. Dating somebody from your local Ayn Rand book club is bland. This car makes all of those things seem as exciting as doing 12 lines of cocaine. With Katie Perry. While she's on fire...in Times Square. And you're naked.

09-21-2007 04:01 PM #4
      i'll be doing this soon but i plan on dropping the whole k-frame
      Your car sucks, and we have a team of experts working around he clock to prove it.

Vehicles
      05 GLI, 09 CBR600RR
      09-21-2007 06:01 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by anthegreat1 »
      i'll be doing this soon but i plan on dropping the whole k-frame

although it would make it easier, on older cars i wouldn't bother, if those bolts break or strip or anything, you got a car down situation, and i dont feel like unbolting the motor mounts .. finally a write up on removing the steering rack

Vehicles
      92' Jetta Gli 2.0 16v(gone), 03' Audi A4 Cabriolet 3.0 V6
      10-29-2007 08:17 PM #6
      dont you need to replace the accessory belt?

Vehicles
      13 GTI, 00 M5, 92 golf
      03-12-2008 01:00 AM #7
      i'm bumping cause i'm in the middle of a powered to manual swap and don't get how the univ joint just slides up off the rack. I have to replace the joint and have both the bolts off of it (one of each end) but don't see how it will slide since there's no room for it to go.

sooo, i'm curious if this is the part others need to drop the subframe for or what. is there part of the steering column that needs to be disconnected? (inside the car) or what?

also, that upper, more forward fluid line I can't remove, the angle is such that i can not get a wrench on it. my motor is still in and it's staying. It looks like i could just pull the 2 bolts facing down on the subframe and support the motor with a jack and slowly lower it to give room to slide the joint off the rack. poo.

any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Quote, originally posted by ryandZA »
      Slide the universal joint upwards and off the steering rack. Then wiggle, push, pull, choice words, wiggle some more, more choice words to get the rack out towards the left front wheel.....

-Pete

8. 02-10-2009 08:52 PM #8
      Does the tie-rods on the P/S rack work on the manual rack? Also, will the mounts interchange too? I'm thinking of going to manual soon.

9. 02-11-2009 12:37 AM #9
      i would've installed new inner tie rods and new ends. just to be on the safe side. but good diy

10. 03-02-2009 12:57 AM #10
      Does anyone know if you can easily convert a power steering car to a manual rack with just installing the manual rack and tie rods?

Vehicles
      '90 Jetta 2 door & '03 Elantra GLS
      03-02-2009 03:06 AM #11
      For those who didn't yet catch on, the DIY is done a RHD Mk2. Just a reminder to those that uses pics for references.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Tdi, 1988 GTI(Tdi)
      03-02-2009 05:24 AM #12
      i have dont power to manual on 2 LHD cars. not the easiest thing, but
      1. just cut your power steering lines, get em out!
      2. Locate a manual steering Universal Joint, Junkyard, friend, etc, the power one will NOT work.
      3. Get manual tie rods, *NEW* assemblies, ALL boots, bushings and U bracket. Power is NOT the same.
      4. Take out power rack how ever you see the best way to do it, i put my car on a lift.
      5. Loosen or take out the steering rack on the inside of the car, to take out the universal that connects to the rack.
      6. Re assemble, reinstall, take off P/s pump, and love the tight, manual steering, I DO!

Most important, get all needed pieces FIRST! I cannot tell you how hard it is to find this stuff, especially when you need your car everyday!

Vehicles
      03-02-2009 07:04 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Mk2 SAiNT »
      For those who didn't yet catch on, the DIY is done a RHD Mk2. Just a reminder to those that uses pics for references.

Thanks for that

Vehicles
      2010 jetta wolfsburg edition
      03-02-2009 10:10 AM #14
      for a 91 jetta thats pretty low what tie rod assembly and steering rack do you use?
      A manual rabbit?
      Basically can i get a list of the parts id need for my jetta with what cars the parts come from?
      Thanks

Vehicles
      03-02-2009 10:36 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by fatchance999 »
      for a 91 jetta thats pretty low what tie rod assembly and steering rack do you use?
      A manual rabbit?
      Basically can i get a list of the parts id need for my jetta with what cars the parts come from?
      Thanks

'89 model
      KONI coilovers (+-50mm drop in front)
      OEM rack and tie rods, Jetta and Rabbit manual racks are the same.
      Don't know where you can get parts from in your area.

16. 03-02-2009 11:30 AM #16
      Quote, originally posted by dubswede »
      i'm bumping cause i'm in the middle of a powered to manual swap and don't get how the univ joint just slides up off the rack. I have to replace the joint and have both the bolts off of it (one of each end) but don't see how it will slide since there's no room for it to go.

Tip for this:
      1. take off the lower column trim and the dash undertray
      2. release all the electrical plugs from the stalks/ign switch
      3. remove allen bolt on bottom of ign lock housing
      4. undo and REMOVE the bolt holding the UJ to the column (remove the rack side one too if you need to replace UJ)
      5. Yank steering wheel, entire column will slide up and pop out of the UJ

done

Vehicles
      1975 porsche 930 slantnose. 89 jetta . mitsubishi 3000gt vr4 91 vw gti vr6
      09-24-2009 11:17 AM #17
      i know its an older thread but im installing the rack and i wanted to know what the length of eachside should be once i install it. reason i ask is because i dont want to install the rack put the steering wheel back on and its all out of whack...

Modified by gizmo76 at 11:22 AM 9-24-2009
      names Damien and the cell number is 305 763 9121 call anytime i will most likely answer i also recieve text

Vehicles
      98 GLX
      04-11-2013 03:13 PM #18

Vehicles
      2001 Montero Sport, 1999 Toyota Camry, 1995 golf, 1990 golf gl
      04-11-2013 03:47 PM #19
      Was looking for this

20. 01-19-2014 03:00 PM #20
      This is all I'm seeing for the joint clamps and it says it doesn't fit for my 98 Golf. http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-45U050.../dp/B000C9MQ4C

We're moving from power steering to manual. The manual rack we bought didn't come with clamps. Will someone direct me to the right clamps?