Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: :: GTI / Rabbit Seat Swap :: What needs to be done? Answers inside.

1. 09-24-2007 06:18 PM #1
      As the topic states... for those interested in swapping GTI seats into a Rabbit, this may give people a bit of an idea as to what is necessary and what is not. A big thanks to Aaron for doing the swap and help during the process.

The vehicles at hand:
      06 GTI - 07 Rabbit (non heated seats in both cars)

The actual bolt in procedure for both cars is identical, removing the front seats requires removing (4) 12pt bolts per seat and disconnecting the harness to remove. There are a few other DIY's floating around for this (and it's pretty straight forward), so I'm not going to try and re-create the wheel.

I think what some of the major questions are deal with the coding and the airbag connectors... well, we have some answers!

Are the airbag connectors the same between the GTI and Rabbit?

No, they are not. There is a very slight difference between the actual connector from the seat harness to the car harness. It's a very slight difference, but enough that it won't just snap together. The harness at the floor end of the seat harness will need cut and spliced together.

Did you have to cut the harness to swap the connectors over?

Yes. There are other ways of doing this... trying to pin out the connector might be one solution, but in the long run it was easier to cut and splice the wires back together. The wiring configuration is very similar between the seats, but it's not identical.

On the 06 GTI seats, they ran the harness from the airbag and tied it into the main seat harness. I was working with (2) sets of wires, the airbag wiring itself (brown/blue/black) and the main harness (brown/green/white). These connect together and the (brown/green/white) is what ends up connecting to the main harness (floor).

Just a reference point for correct color sequence:

On the 07 Rabbit seats, they decided to do away with the (brown/green/white) section of seat harness and the airbag runs directly into the main harness on the floor. The same colors as the GTI seats where it connects under the seat (brown/blue/black) but it does not have the (brown/green/white) as the GTI seats do.

So that's nice and all, now which wires do I splice together?

It's pretty simple actually. On the bottom of the GTI seat, you can see the pin configuration, (see above photos) so just use that as a "template". Cut the airbag connectors off at the floor side of the seat harness, solder them back on matching the appropriate colors and install the seats.

That's it? No coding to do?

No, VAG-COM is required. This may vary between cars, but my airbag light was on after the swap. The car was never started nor the key in the ignition during the swap however the airbag light was still on. The airbag light was on due to the Seat Occupied Recognition Control Module (J706). It's a simple process to reset, but just clearing the code will not make it go away.

Follow this link for the reset procedure:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/inde...irbag

Basic Setting

Seat Occupied Recognition Control Module (J706)

If the Seat Occupied Recognition Control Module (J706) or the seat itself have been replaced, the basic setting has to be performed.

[Select]
      [15 - Airbags]
      [Security Access - 16]
      Enter 20324, to enable the basic setting.
      [Do it!]
      [Basic Settings - 04]
      Group 001
      [Go!]
      Activate the Basic Setting.
      [ON/OFF/Next]
      The reset has been performed.
      [Done, Go Back]
      [Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

And that was it... GTI seats installed in a Rabbit, no codes and no airbag lights.

I plaid.

Modified by JonnyKuhns at 6:34 PM 9-24-2007

Modified by JonnyKuhns at 6:36 PM 9-24-2007

2. 09-24-2007 06:29 PM #2
      Nice write up. I need to do the airbag connectors to make mine complete as we already swapped the floor connections

09-24-2007 09:33 PM #3
      good write up, congrats

4. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      09-24-2007 09:35 PM #4
      thank you!!! finally someone did a nice write up!!

MODS STICKY THIS PLEASE

5. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      09-25-2007 06:53 AM #5
      Added to the FAQ.

-Tim

The artist formerly known as SilverSLC
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

VWVortex | Fourtitude | INR8 | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

6. 09-25-2007 09:24 PM #6
      Hope you like the seats man! I am actually very happy with the Rabbit seats. I give them about a 7/10 and the GTI seats a 3/10. Being 6'6" and 300lbs makes me oposite of the norm.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the VAG COM and get rid of my airbag light. Nice write up and glad we could figure it out for everyone to use. Wish we had one of these earlier huh. I will give you a ring on monday. Later man.

Vehicles
      2014 Audi Q5 2.0T, 2009 Tiguan SEL 4-Mo
      09-26-2007 06:01 PM #7
      We reset Aaron's airbag light tonight. One thing to check and clear any fault codes before or after resetting the seat occupied airbag light. I failed to do this and couldn't get the light to clear. All good now. I really like the plaid seats, but the rabbit ones fit well in Aaron's car.

Modified by Scott Evil at 6:04 PM 9-26-2007
      mine: 2014 Q5 2.0T Moonlight Blue. 1987 Guards Red Porsche 944 Turbo. Treatment for my midlife crisis.
      hers: 2009 Tiguan SEL 4-mo. Wild Cherry & Cornsilk, RNS-510, Panaroof, running boards, Thule roof carrier

Vehicles
      08 C2 Turbo Rabbit.... 98 Vr Cabby in the making
      11-12-2007 12:19 PM #8
      Here is something wierd......I have an 08 Rabbit and just installed 07 GTI seats, they plugged right in with all colors matching ??? Didnt think it was going to be this cut and dry. Still have to clear air bag lights with VAG.

09-03-2008 10:35 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by 08jackrabbit »
      Here is something wierd......I have an 08 Rabbit and just installed 07 GTI seats, they plugged right in with all colors matching ??? Didnt think it was going to be this cut and dry. Still have to clear air bag lights with VAG.

Here's something even MORE strange........ I have an '08 RAbbit and just put in '07 GTi seats as well and the plastic "clips" don't match up. Same 3 wires, just the plastic "clip" that needs to be swapped over, or at least cut the wires and wire it back up.

Weird..........

Vehicles
      e36 M3, 14 FiST
      06-12-2009 02:09 PM #10
      I swapped 08 GTI seats into 08 Rabbit - same exact plugs, plug and play.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      06-12-2009 02:27 PM #11
      I didn't want to do this because of the plug issue, but it appears that they may have gone to a standard plug on the newer models. If so.......... awesome.

Anyone else done this with everything matching up properly?

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

XBL - urparanoid

12. 02-26-2010 04:48 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by SAPJetta »
      I didn't want to do this because of the plug issue, but it appears that they may have gone to a standard plug on the newer models. If so.......... awesome.

Anyone else done this with everything matching up properly?

Did this with 08 gti leathers into an 08 rabbit, plug and play.

sorry to bump an old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TechEd View Post
      Long-story-short: Outie5000 is right on all accounts.

02-28-2010 11:33 PM #13
      Just fyi 08 Plaid seats plug right up to an 07 Rabbit. Sounds like VW switched to universal plugs for 07

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI, 6mt, 2dr, shark fin blue
      03-06-2010 08:46 PM #14
      Where are you guys getting gti/ leather seats?

Would jetta seats swap into a rabbit as easily?

Vehicles
      07 Mk5 GTI(RIP),07 Mk5 GLI(RIP)
      03-06-2010 10:33 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by keanubear »

seat swaps or crashed cars jetta seats swap too!! but they dont fold forward bc the jetta is a four door....would work in a 4 dr rabbit

atzenmusiktv

03-07-2010 02:46 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by keanubear »

Just keep an eye out in the classifieds. You just missed one a few days ago in S.F. that I picked up Or you can post a trade thread in there. Some of the bigger guys prefer the Jetta/Rabbit seats to the GTI seats so you might be able to find someone who wants to swap.

That and keep an eye out in the local junkyards.

It's definitely worth it though. The stock Rabbit seats are so plain and boring compared to even the cloth plaid seats.

17. 03-07-2010 03:20 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by Outie5000 »

Did this with 08 gti leathers into an 08 rabbit, plug and play.

sorry to bump an old thread.

Doesn't the leathers have power lumbar? Did that work too?

18. Member
      08-12-2010 10:29 PM #18
      I would also like to know if the power lumbar worked? If not how did you get it to work?

Vehicles
      2007 SB Rabbit (RIP), 2010 LB CC VR6
      10-22-2011 08:23 AM #19
      anyone know if it's the same installation for 08 seats to be installed in an 07 rabbit?
      specifically the connectors
      Three.8.Werks
      My bagged CC 3.6 VR6 4motion Thread
      @BrunoJS

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI, 6mt, 2dr, shark fin blue
      01-10-2012 12:21 AM #20
      I am hoping to find 2dr rabbit seats to swap into my 2 dr golf tdi...

I'm a big guy and the golf 6 seats are like the gti seats... which basically suck for large people...

Is this possible?

Vehicles
      '08 Rabbit 5spd + '12 Golf Sportline 5spd
      04-25-2012 12:06 AM #21
      Little update to this thread as I'm swapping 2006 GTI seats into my 2008 Rabbit. Instead of cutting the stock harness on either the seat or car, I'm swapping the old style airbag connectors on the 06 seats' harness to the newer style connectors found on some 07's and all 08's and newer seats. The part number for the newer style airbag connector is 8J0 972 576.

Stock older style connector with wires:

Here are the stock wires removed from the old style connector:

This is a picture of the new connectors:

And a picture of the new connector with the pins inserted. You really have to force the wires into the new housing as the connector is a different type of plastic and once they're in there, they're in there for good.

And an interesting side note. I undid the tape on the stock harness to find that as part of a side airbag TSB, they cut and spliced the harness so you can see wire colors. As mentioned in the original post, seats with the older style connector have wire colors of white/brown/green while seats with the newer style connector have wire colors of black/brown/blue. You can see in the picture below the wire colors going into the airbag itself are actually black/brown/blue.

Last edited by Tooly; 05-03-2012 at 11:23 PM.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 VW Jetta
      09-02-2012 09:19 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by JonnyKuhns View Post
      As the topic states... for those interested in swapping GTI seats into a Rabbit, this may give people a bit of an idea as to what is necessary and what is not. A big thanks to Aaron for doing the swap and help during the process.

The vehicles at hand:
      06 GTI - 07 Rabbit (non heated seats in both cars)

The actual bolt in procedure for both cars is identical, removing the front seats requires removing (4) 12pt bolts per seat and disconnecting the harness to remove. There are a few other DIY's floating around for this (and it's pretty straight forward), so I'm not going to try and re-create the wheel.

I think what some of the major questions are deal with the coding and the airbag connectors... well, we have some answers!

Are the airbag connectors the same between the GTI and Rabbit?

No, they are not. There is a very slight difference between the actual connector from the seat harness to the car harness. It's a very slight difference, but enough that it won't just snap together. The harness at the floor end of the seat harness will need cut and spliced together.

Did you have to cut the harness to swap the connectors over?

Yes. There are other ways of doing this... trying to pin out the connector might be one solution, but in the long run it was easier to cut and splice the wires back together. The wiring configuration is very similar between the seats, but it's not identical.

On the 06 GTI seats, they ran the harness from the airbag and tied it into the main seat harness. I was working with (2) sets of wires, the airbag wiring itself (brown/blue/black) and the main harness (brown/green/white). These connect together and the (brown/green/white) is what ends up connecting to the main harness (floor).

Just a reference point for correct color sequence:

On the 07 Rabbit seats, they decided to do away with the (brown/green/white) section of seat harness and the airbag runs directly into the main harness on the floor. The same colors as the GTI seats where it connects under the seat (brown/blue/black) but it does not have the (brown/green/white) as the GTI seats do.

So that's nice and all, now which wires do I splice together?

It's pretty simple actually. On the bottom of the GTI seat, you can see the pin configuration, (see above photos) so just use that as a "template". Cut the airbag connectors off at the floor side of the seat harness, solder them back on matching the appropriate colors and install the seats.

That's it? No coding to do?

No, VAG-COM is required. This may vary between cars, but my airbag light was on after the swap. The car was never started nor the key in the ignition during the swap however the airbag light was still on. The airbag light was on due to the Seat Occupied Recognition Control Module (J706). It's a simple process to reset, but just clearing the code will not make it go away.

Follow this link for the reset procedure:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/inde...irbag

Basic Setting

Seat Occupied Recognition Control Module (J706)

If the Seat Occupied Recognition Control Module (J706) or the seat itself have been replaced, the basic setting has to be performed.

[Select]
      [15 - Airbags]
      [Security Access - 16]
      Enter 20324, to enable the basic setting.
      [Do it!]
      [Basic Settings - 04]
      Group 001
      [Go!]
      Activate the Basic Setting.
      [ON/OFF/Next]
      The reset has been performed.
      [Done, Go Back]
      [Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

And that was it... GTI seats installed in a Rabbit, no codes and no airbag lights.

I plaid.

Modified by JonnyKuhns at 6:34 PM 9-24-2007

Modified by JonnyKuhns at 6:36 PM 9-24-2007

I read I have to disconnect the battery prior to unbolting the seats and disconnecting the airbag connectors. Is this true and if so can you please elaborate. I am doing this in the morning. Thank you!