Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Rear Hatch Won't Latch??

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 V8 Touareg
      09-24-2007 10:25 PM #1
      Has anyone had problems with their large rear cargo door?

I can't get mine to latch. It makes the noise but not catch. Everything looks fine as far as I can tell but it just doesn't catch all the way and won't lock closed.

I checked the adjustment bumpers and that doesn't seem to do anything. I can tell it is going all the way closed, but motorized latch isn't catching and pulling the door close.

Anyone have any diagrams of the components? Any advice, help or anything would help a lot. I am too busy at work to reach the dealer for this.

Thanks

2. 09-25-2007 12:13 PM #2
      Mine is also not closing. My closing motor whirrs for about 10 seconds and I can see the door moving in and out, but quite often the trunk open light is on the MFI.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 V8 Touareg
      09-26-2007 12:37 AM #3
      I got my door apart and have an idea of what is NOT catching and latching. I think and adjustment should fix he problem. But right now it keeps opening up on the freeway or when I hit a bump. I'll take another look at it after work and post some pics for others.

Vehicles
      99.5 MKIV Jetta VR6, 04 Touareg V8, 07 Passat 2.0T FSI
      10-02-2007 04:53 PM #4
      One quick question though, is the automatic latching feature standard in all Touareg models from 04 to present?

5. 10-03-2007 07:38 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by kpg111 »
      One quick question though, is the automatic latching feature standard in all Touareg models from 04 to present?

The very first of the 2004's did not have it. I think that changed somewhere around vin number 15,000 or so.

Everything since then has had the automatic latching feature as standard.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 V8 Touareg
      10-06-2007 02:24 PM #6
      I figured out what went wrong.

The small white motor that releases a latch has worn out of specs and won't press the latch all the way up. It still operates but not as well as it should. After adjusting the small white plastic bell crank I was able to get it to operate again. Now it seems to work fine.

It is easy to take the rear hatch interior pieces off if you know what you are doing. But be careful and make sure you have all the required screws out before pulling or you could stretch the plastic.

If anyone encounters this in the near future let me know and I can talk you through it with some pictures that I took.