Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 09A Tiptronic Solenoid Location & Function

1. 02-21-2010 10:41 PM #36
      no codes but slips from 3rd to 4th gear with a bang only at full throttle otherwise shifts smooth at part throttle, what solenoid is responsible for that?

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      03-01-2010 07:06 PM #37
      Quote, originally posted by abielecki »
      Hi - Do you have the same for the 01M?

SOMEONE ASKED THE EXACT SAME, OFF TOPIC QUESTION EARLIER IN THIS THREAD.

Please refer to my answer to their question as an answer to yours.

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

3. 03-01-2010 07:17 PM #38
      Thanks!!

I think I am going to bite the bullet and get a VAG-COM tomorrow!

Vehicles
      03-02-2010 06:00 AM #39
      Quote, originally posted by bi4ok »
      HI, everyone. I have problem. The scan Tool shows the p0768 which is solenoid D but buy checking ohms only one solenoid is ban with 1 ohms solenoid G. What should I do? Thanks

Ohms checks are not conclusive unless they check bad. Solenoids can fail under use, going open or shorting. Usually this happens worse hot. So your driving along, solenoid is energized. Trans is hot. Solenoid fails and goes open. If you happened to ohm check the solenoid right when this happens you would probably catch it. Trans computer notices, and triggers the code, and therefore goes to failsafe, which means it no longer energizes the solenoid. Then you drive the car home, in the meantime the solenoid cools down, and will ohm check good.

Note: unfortunatly an intermittant open or short in the wiring could also cause the code. Best check for this is good visual inspection.

Last edited by CoolAirVw; 07-15-2010 at 09:05 AM.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

5. 03-09-2010 01:51 PM #40
      Hello to all. Excellent the post. I write from Argentina to see if yoy can help me. I have a Jetta 2004 Tiptronic. When the car is cold, it does not pass the marchs. It stays always in 1st. Warm when it works normally. I believe that it is the valve N92, but I was checking the conector TCM and the values give me well (1+50= 12 ohms). Is it possible. THANKS !

Vehicles
      03-09-2010 02:19 PM #41
      Quote, originally posted by Marcelobello »
      Hello to all. Excellent the post. I write from Argentina to see if yoy can help me. I have a Jetta 2004 Tiptronic. When the car is cold, it does not pass the marchs. It stays always in 1st. Warm when it works normally. I believe that it is the valve N92, but I was checking the conector TCM and the values give me well (1+50= 12 ohms). Is it possible. THANKS !

1 + 50 = 12??? what??

www.KansasCityTdi.com

7. 03-09-2010 03:05 PM #42
      Our website under VW 09A it shows you the location & ohms value of each solenoid. As Richard mentioned, catching the solenoid under the "failed condition" is difficult. You probably mean pins #50 and pin #1 when you are checking the solenoid resistance at the controller; am I right? I have not looked at a wire schematic for your vehicle.

Carlos

http://www.valvebodybuilders.com
      Canada

8. 03-09-2010 06:02 PM #43
      Hello Richard. Hello Carlos. Thank you for answering so rapidly. Really, I measured the pin #1 and the pin #50 (of the conector TCM). Initially of the same post, it appears as the valve N92. It must have a range of between 9 ohms and 24 ohms and I measured 12 ohms. It made me doubt it if to change this valve. As Carlos says, it is not easy to know which is the valve that works badly. I am going to see that I do. Thank you

9. 07-15-2010 05:58 AM #44
      How difficult is it to swap out the whole valve body? Does the valve body usually include all nine solenoids? I'm getting the p0748, bad shifts the whole nine yards, this is my only car and don't have the time to be fiddling around with it. So your advice would help a ton!

Vehicles
      07-15-2010 09:26 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by car009 View Post
      How difficult is it to swap out the whole valve body? Does the valve body usually include all nine solenoids? I'm getting the p0748, bad shifts the whole nine yards, this is my only car and don't have the time to be fiddling around with it. So your advice would help a ton!
      Its not real difficult but its expensive! I dont know if dealer would provide all solenoids with valve body.

Automaticjoy has been coaching me on politeness and forum etiquette from post 10 in the following thread. So with regards to your code I'll say this.... Do you know what the code said exactly?"

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Car-wont-start!!!
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

11. 07-15-2010 02:39 PM #46
      Yes. It throws p0748, pressure control solenoid electrical. That is all it says. The car seems to drive like it always has. I am just trying to figure out the best way to keep the car running, just wasn't sure if it would be easier and safer to replace the whole valve body vs all the solenoids separately.

12. 07-15-2010 04:29 PM #47
      Yes. It throws p0748, pressure control solenoid electrical. That is all it says. The car seems to drive like it always has. I am just trying to figure out the best way to keep the car running, just wasn't sure if it would be easier and safer to replace the whole valve body vs all the solenoids separately.
      If you could scan it with VAGCOM/VCDS it would tell you which solenoid is bad and you would only have to replace 1. Thats assuming it is the solenoid and not a wiring problem.

13. 07-16-2010 02:05 AM #48
      Ok, well I may have to find someone with access to VAG-Com. Hope its a simple fix. Thanks!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      D3 A8L with all the fixins, 4door MK3 VR6T, Roofless MK3 VR6T, Vanagon, Passat Wagon, Jazz Blue VR6
      09-15-2010 09:47 AM #49
      subscribed...

I'm having a helluva time sorting a 2005 Jetta TDI tiptronic. It seemingly stuck in 1st or 2nd gear and indicates it's in 3rd the only fault is

Gear Monitoring implausable signal.
      exklusiv

Vehicles
      09-15-2010 01:41 PM #50
      clear the code and then drive the car. Pay attention to what happens, how the trans behaves, when the code triggers. Then write wont the code number. I assume you had 00652?
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

16. 09-26-2010 08:24 PM #51
      awsome write up

Vehicles
      1999 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro
      10-05-2010 11:18 AM #52
      very helpful, dont know how to subscribe without posting

18. 02-21-2011 04:22 PM #53
      So this last weekend I changed all nine solenoids in my 09a. Figured while I had it apart I would change them all to prevent further disassembling of the transmission. Now I am getting code p1778, I did read on another site it could be from a short or bad ground connection. Does anyone know for sure what the p1778 could be caused by in the 09A?

Vehicles
      02-22-2011 02:28 PM #54
      So this last weekend I changed all nine solenoids in my 09a. Figured while I had it apart I would change them all to prevent further disassembling of the transmission. Now I am getting code p1778, I did read on another site it could be from a short or bad ground connection. Does anyone know for sure what the p1778 could be caused by in the 09A?
      Code definition please?
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

20. 02-22-2011 02:42 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolAirVw View Post
      Code definition please?
      Sorry, forgot to include that. P1778 manufacturer specific powertrain malfunction. I don't know the vw definition as I only have access to a generic OBDII scanner. A did verify with a mechanic that it is a transmission problem. Wondering if the tcm could be bad because it is having lot of issues. Sometimes I can't select tiptronic, sometimes I can. No stationary decoupling, doesn't seem to retard engine timing before shifts.

21. 03-11-2011 07:17 PM #56
      Does anybody know what causes this I would be very greatful I am about to pull my hair out, and I am already bald. Lol if it is easier just call me please I need help guys. (260)413-3768. Thanks ahead of time

22. 03-11-2011 07:20 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangaskill1977 View Post
      Does anybody know what causes this I would be very greatful I am about to pull my hair out, and I am already bald. Lol if it is easier just call me please I need help guys. (260)413-3768. Thanks ahead of time
      When it is cold the first drive of the day I let it warm up 5-10 mins and it jerks bad from. 1-2 then again. 2-3 but once it is totally warmed up shifts fine no problems. WTF.

23. 03-19-2011 06:20 PM #58
      All is well with the 09a now. Diagnosis pointed to a bad tcm and after reading lots about the 09a 927 750 t tcm's and their high failure rate, it was almost confirmed to be the tcm. Just picked up a replacement today for $175 and installed the thing in about 30 mins. Transmission shifts like its brand new, no hint of jerk, no hesitation, no CEL of any sort anymore. After 30k miles with a jerky transmission than both dealer and independent shop told me needed to be replaced, the 09a is still running strong and with new solenoids, fluid and a new to the car tcm, it should be going strong for quite a while longer.

My advice, if your are getting trouble codes related to the tranny or jerky shifting, check your tcm first. I wish I would have!!

24. Junior Member
      03-23-2011 11:59 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangaskill1977 View Post
      When it is cold the first drive of the day I let it warm up 5-10 mins and it jerks bad from. 1-2 then again. 2-3 but once it is totally warmed up shifts fine no problems. WTF.

I have a tiptronic that does something similar but never throws ANY codes.. None... When it's really cold it'll just stay in 1st gear even though VCDS says it's in 2nd, or 3rd.. The display shows 2nd or 3rd when in tip mode as well, but the trans is physically still in 1st.. If I run the rpm's up high enough it'll shift to 2nd, but it has to get near redline to do it.. Once it's up to temperature it functions absolutely perfect..

25. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      03-24-2011 08:39 AM #60
      For delayed 1-2 shifts and no codes, try changing out your N92 solenoid. This is a common problem that lots of people have fixed, search the A/T forum. It doesn't throw a code since it is a mechanical problem with the solenoid not electrical. The TCM can only know about the electrical side: if the solenoid draws too much current (a short) or not enough (open), then it reports a problem.

Some choose to get the full set of solenoids and do them all at once (about $350 from most places, I got mine from cobratransmission.com)
      Last edited by Charlie_M; 03-24-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: fix cobra url

26. Junior Member
      03-24-2011 03:31 PM #61
      Cool.. Thanks for the link.. It definitely seems like a mechanical problem like a sticking solenoid.. Do the solenoids in these have screens that can get clogged like on a typical RWD automatic? The car has 175k with completely unknown history.. I bought it not running..

edit: Now that I look at the solenoid chart again, the N92 is definitely what I'm going after, since if I wind 1st up high enough I can make it tip to 4th.. 2nd and 3rd won't apply if the solenoid mechanically sticks in the "on" position, and in 4th it's still on so all is well after that..

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_M View Post
      For delayed 1-2 shifts and no codes, try changing out your N92 solenoid. This is a common problem that lots of people have fixed, search the A/T forum. It doesn't throw a code since it is a mechanical problem with the solenoid not electrical. The TCM can only know about the electrical side: if the solenoid draws too much current (a short) or not enough (open), then it reports a problem.

Some choose to get the full set of solenoids and do them all at once (about $350 from most places, I got mine from cobratransmission.com)
      Last edited by tdijetta99; 03-24-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Vehicles
      1992 300ZX TT, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
      05-26-2011 01:00 PM #62
      Back from the dead...I successfully repaired my first solenoid problem with an N91. When I got it fixed, they had to order another one, but I forget which.

Now my 2002 GTI will not shift in to 3rd until warm. I'm guessing this would be the N89?

28. 05-29-2011 07:49 PM #63
      Done mines today tested for a while today and massive improvment,will.test properly in morning.
      Thanks you all people for input, did my sharan today, could add couple of tips
      Take the fan off from housing to facilitate easier removal of black plate, and bottom radiator hose

29. 05-30-2011 06:08 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by rudey View Post
      Done mines today tested for a while today and massive improvment,will.test properly in morning.
      Thanks you all people for input, did my sharan today, could add couple of tips
      Take the fan off from housing to facilitate easier removal of black plate, and bottom radiator hose
      same problem stuck in first again
      will have to change the n92 solenoid me thinks and try and get hold of vagcom software to check the oil level

10-18-2011 09:21 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by tdijetta99 View Post
      I have a tiptronic that does something similar but never throws ANY codes.. None... When it's really cold it'll just stay in 1st gear even though VCDS says it's in 2nd, or 3rd.. The display shows 2nd or 3rd when in tip mode as well, but the trans is physically still in 1st.. If I run the rpm's up high enough it'll shift to 2nd, but it has to get near redline to do it.. Once it's up to temperature it functions absolutely perfect..
      this is my exact condition in my wifes '02 jetta VR6, with EEF code trans.

I was thinking of replacing N92, but I may just go for the full set.

awesome write ups Fellas

Pat
      01 GTI 1.8T big turbo ghost...
      02 Jetta GLX
      VW/AUDI MASTER GUILD WRENCH

11-11-2011 08:20 PM #66
      received the set of 9 today, will be doing the install tomorrow

Pat
      02 Jetta GLX

11-14-2011 02:15 PM #67
      performed the install.... biggest concern i has was that all the solenoid connectors fell apart to dust when removing...

dropped the fluid, it was black as night, but no metal contamination at all. replaced all 9 solenoids. refilled fluid.

also removed lower control arms and replaced the bushings with audi TT bushings.

fired it right up and its immediately a different car.

the true test was the next morning when it sat overnight and was ice cold. started it up and drove right out of the driveway. no shifting issues at all. finding this thread was a godsend.
      less than $400 for everything and fixed what dealerships are charging people thousands to repair.

patrick
      02 Jetta GLX

33. 12-07-2011 09:02 PM #68
      I have a 03' gti 1.8t with tip. And I'm almost throwing it through a mountain, i haven't been able to use it for about 3 months ago because it's always in 4th gear. I did a research and found a 09a manual that it said that if solenoid n282 was bad, the effects were that the car would only be in 4th gear and reverse only. Soooo, I found the 9 solenoids through Internet, they were mounted today, got everything ready so it could be started, the engine got started but..... Its still having the same problems

I really don't know what else could be.... Or could it be that the tcm might me damage?

Any suggestions, please help!!! I love my car, but it had made me spend a lot of money in it since I got it (I'm almost 3 years with it)

Thanks in advance
      Last edited by yamariell; 12-07-2011 at 09:08 PM.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      12-07-2011 11:18 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by yamariell View Post
      I have a 03' gti 1.8t with tip. And I'm almost throwing it through a mountain, i haven't been able to use it for about 3 months ago because it's always in 4th gear. I did a research and found a 09a manual that it said that if solenoid n282 was bad, the effects were that the car would only be in 4th gear and reverse only. Soooo, I found the 9 solenoids through Internet, they were mounted today, got everything ready so it could be started, the engine got started but..... Its still having the same problems

I really don't know what else could be.... Or could it be that the tcm might me damage?

Any suggestions, please help!!! I love my car, but it had made me spend a lot of money in it since I got it (I'm almost 3 years with it)
      Limp mode in an 09A tiptronic means that there is an electrical problem with the TCM signalling the solenoids. Either there is too much current (a short circuit), too little current (an open circuit), or a communication problem between the TCM and ECU.

On the practical side, a short or open can be in several places: external wire harness between the TCM and transmission, internal harness inside the transmission between the connector and the solenoids, or in any one or more solenoids themselves (not just N282). TCM water damage is also common in some cars.

I would suggest 1) scan with a VAGCom if possible and post all of the TCM codes, and 2) disconnect the connector at the TCM, and check the resistance of each solenoid. The connector pin-out and good resistance values are posted earlier in this thread. Based on what you find, do the same resistance check at the transmission itself. This way you can determine if the problem is in the wiring or in the transmission. Of course if your TCM is damaged / corroded, no need to do the resistance checks!

35. 12-11-2011 11:48 PM #70
      hi,
      i have been having cold shift / jerks and changed all the 9 solenoids. It has been a couple of months already. Everything is fine so far.

Will the problems surface again in the future ?? what is the life of these solenoids? I have not done a rebuild on the gearbox yet as the ATF is still very clean.

tia

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast