VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

09A Tiptronic Solenoid Location & Function

418K views 172 replies 87 participants last post by  Omarllh 
#1 ·
I was asked to provide some information to a fellow memeber on the location and function of the Solenoids in the 09A trans. So here are scans of the information I have. I know they are big but that way you can save them to your computer and print them out for future use if need be.

Here are the torque specs for the valve body 8 Nm
Trans Pan to trans 8 Nm
Multifunction Switch to trans 5 Nm
I will follow up with electrical specs on the solenoids when I get more time.
Here is the electrical info to test your tranny

Modified by coolvdub at 5:21 PM 9-30-2007

Modified by coolvdub at 3:41 PM 10-7-2007

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: 09A Tiptronic Solenoid Location & Function (coolvdub)

Coolvdub: Hey men thanks for the pict's, Now let me explaing my dilema,I have EPY trip tranny and is stuck in 1er gear auto mode, I took the oil out it came out like 2 1/2 qt the oil + - clean. MY question to u is should I put the same amount of fluid?, I think I have a bad selenoid but I have no way to get acces to diagnostic VAMCOM do u happen to have the eletcrical diagram and the right omh to check them? I'm an aircraft mechanic electrical is something I can figure it out but without electrical diagram no way I can check them. also I'm having problem finding this thread here is my email to u or anyone who wants to help me out. Any help would be very appreciated.
Best Regards to all.
Pete
bomer18@bellsouth.net
Miami,FL

#7 ·

Thank you all for the wonderful information about this issue.
I have 2002 jetta 1.8T with 5 speed tiptronic. I am getting error code P1778 which means Shift Solenoid 7 - Open Circuit or Short to Ground
or B+ (N94), my question is where is N94?
Thank you in advance for any information about this.

#10 ·

don will i get a good readying on the solenoids if i have the battery out of the car and use the ground batrery cable for the ground on my meter and just back prode the solenoid with it still pluged in are do i need to go form the tcm plug to the solenoid,THANKS

#11 ·
Re: 09A Tiptronic Solenoid Location & Function (pintail38)

Reggie, that should work okay. The easiest thing would be to just unplug the TCM and probe at the connector. If you get a bad reading then I would unplug the harness at the tranny, where it goes in on the side and probe there, just to make sure you don't have a harness issue. If you still have a bad reading then I would pull the pan and check the suspect Solenoid directly. If you find no problems Solenoids or harness issues, you might want to check with the dealer and see if there are any TSB's for the TCM on your car. If I recall correctly the earliest Tiptronic cars had a TSB for the TCM and they were updated free of charge.

#12 ·

Don,
First, thank you for all your posts on the subject of solenoid issues for the 09A. I got a call from my wife on her way to work that the check engine light came on and the car was shifting hard (2002 Jetta 1.8T). I checked the engine code with a standard scanner and found a P0748 code which translates to a Pressure Control Solenoid. Short story is with your info here I might avoid an auto repair bill and I thank you for it.
Quick question, is doing the resistance check all that's required to isolate which out of the 9 solenoids might be faulty? If so, is the resistance measured accross the ground pin in the connector and the solenoid pin of interest? Seems like it would be so but I figured I'd double check. EDIT: oh I see, the bridge column tells you which pins to bridge across to measure the resistance.
Intuitively I'd think the pressure control solenoid could be any of the pressure modulation solenoids above, but that's just a hunch.
Also, other than getting access to the solenoids themselves. Is replacing them just a simple matter of pulling them out and popping them back in? From your pics on another thread it looks like they have rubber orings on them which makes me think they pop in (similar to old school injectors).
heh, I have the Bentley for my mk2 GTI but not for my wifes 02 Jetta. Its thread like this that really save us. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by TheRealEddie at 10:04 PM 3-27-2009

#13 ·
Re: 09A Tiptronic Solenoid Location & Function (TheRealEddie)

ok some progress. I measured the resistance at the TCM connector for each test step identified above and found:
1) N88 - measured 17.2 ohms - spec 9 to 24 ohms (ok)
2) N89 - measured 17.2 ohms - spec 9 to 24 ohms (ok)
3) N90 - measured 17.4 ohms - spec 9 to 24 ohms (ok)
4) N91 - measured 13.4 ohms - spec 9 to 24 ohms (ok)
5) N92 - measured 17.3 ohms - spec 9 to 24 ohms (ok)
6) N93 - measured 35.2 ohms - spec 1 to 5 ohms (not ok)
7) N281 - measured 17.2 ohms - spec 9 to 24 ohms (ok)
8) N282 - measured 17.4 ohms - spec 9 to 24 ohms (ok)
9) N283 - measured 3.4 ohms - spec 1 to 5 ohms (ok)
So it looks like N93 is the likely culprit. Its indeed one of the modulation solenoids so its consistent with the P0748 OBDII code.
I'm contemplating whether I should try to measure these resistances closer to the tranny in order to eliminate the possibility that the harness has issues. Seems unlikely but probably worth the effort.

#14 ·
Re: 09A Tiptronic Solenoid Location & Function (TheRealEddie)

You could pull the connector off where it enters the side of the tranny and check there to eliminate the wiring harness.

#15 ·

hey guys! My CEL is on, 2002 1.8t tip, code is p0746 which stands for pressure control solenoid, a performance or stuck off.
Which one of the solenoids above is related to this code? And can this be tested without droping the tranny?
thanks!

#17 ·
Re: 09A Tiptronic Solenoid Location & Function (JoshRambo)

You need to remove the connectoe from the TCM which is located in the cowl in between the resh air cabin filter amd the engine ECM.

#20 ·

Don - great info, thanks a lot! I have a 2003 passat wagon 1.8T 5spd/tip that's stuck in 4th (and reverse works) so N282 would seem to be the culprit. But first, is this 09A trans the one I have? I can't seem to find it anywhere, and part of the only sticker I can see on the trans is rubbed off. So if I have a different trans, where could I find the same info for mine? And can you recommend a good place to get the right solenoid? Many many thanks!
Randy

#21 ·

Ok, finally got the dealer to tell me it's an 01V transmission in the 03 passat GL wagon. Any chance you have the same solenoid diagrams for that model? (fingers crossed). That's exactly what I need. Thank you!!
Randy

#23 ·
Re: 09A Tiptronic Solenoid Location & Function (JoshRambo)

Are you sure you removed the TCM harness? Double check and if you have the right harness, then remove it at the tranny and double check each wire for continuity.
Don

#24 ·
Over the past 8 months our 02 Jetta 1.8t with 5spd auto tip has had the N283 replaced twice and now the local dealer replaced N281 today and we still are having the same problem. Any idea on what may cause an extremely harsh up 1,3,4 upshift and the 2nd shift from 2nd to 3rd gear almost feels like the tranny is trying to downshift back into 1st then into 3rd which throws us forward then backwards in the seat and the downshifts are just as harsh as the upshifts. The local VW dealer now says we need a new tranny but I find it hard to believe that VW would make a throw away tranny that cost $5000 to replace and not require their dealers to have a technician that can properly diagnose and repair the problems with their trannys

#25 ·
Re: (cycleeric)

Hey quick question I have a 04 GTI with a TIP... VAGCOM says that solenoid #4 is operating intermediate? Does anyone know which one of these above is that solenoid? And does anyone know what a transmission shop would charge to replace it I dont wont to get reemed? It hard shifts up in auto and in manual it is real bad on the downshift. I know I need a fluid change (over100,000) I am just scared to take it to someone to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.