Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 09A Tiptronic Solenoid Location & Function

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      12-21-2011 11:39 AM #71
      what's your mileage before you replaced all the solenoids?

Quote Originally Posted by kml View Post
      hi,
      i have been having cold shift / jerks and changed all the 9 solenoids. It has been a couple of months already. Everything is fine so far.

Will the problems surface again in the future ?? what is the life of these solenoids? I have not done a rebuild on the gearbox yet as the ATF is still very clean.

tia

2. 01-07-2012 01:36 AM #72
      the change was done at around the 90k km mark.
      the car is mostly driven in the city .

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2002 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8L
      02-16-2012 04:08 PM #73
      Where is the best place to purchase solenoids? Does it have to be dealer?

02-17-2012 10:46 AM #74
      01 GTI 1.8T big turbo ghost...
      02 Jetta GLX
      VW/AUDI MASTER GUILD WRENCH

Vehicles
      02 Jetta GLS
      04-17-2012 11:12 AM #75
      Thanks to everyone who has stayed with this thread. I am about to embark on this myself.

as someone who can replace brakes, ball joints, a few engine components (t-stat) and a whole axle, is this something I could do myself? I am also looking to avoid major costs at the dealer.

Is it really as simple as unscrewing the old one and popping in a new one? or am I missing something huge here.

Problems: Cold Shift, Jerky disengage, no codes (yet)
      Black 1.8T mk4 "Maggie"

6. 04-18-2012 06:58 PM #76
      soemthing to look into. thanks

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Jetta 1.8T
      04-25-2012 04:43 PM #77
      After reading all these different tiptronic posts, I finally ordered the solenoid set and went ahead and replaced them. Thanks to these posts, everything went pretty straight forward. It just gets a little messy trying to keep track of everything with all the wiring when replacing all of the solenoids.

My original problem was the hard shifts from 2-3 and 3-4, this progressively got worse over the past few months. I have only had the car running about 8-9 months. Original owner let the timing belt go too long and I got that fixed the beginning of last summer.

Well, after getting everything back together late last night, I took it for a spin, and what an amazing difference! Everything seemed to shift great and smooth all the way through gears 1-5.

Parked it back in the shop last night and had to button up a few loose ends. After that this morning, I went to drive the car, and backed it out and had no problem.

When I went to take off, put it in Drive, and the car wouldn't go anywhere. No forward gears at all. I revved it up higher, and it seemed to try and move a little, like there was low pressure.

There is also a little rattle (between 1200 and 1800 RPM), which sounds like it is coming from under the valve cover near the timing belt end of the head. Not related though, I'm sure.

Does anyone have any ideas why this would happen and not have any forward gears after working great last night and functioning great?

I am going to check the resistance on the new solenoids through the harness later this week when I have time.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

8. 05-30-2012 10:54 PM #78
      Does anyone have the pin designations for the round connector going into the side of the transmission? Replaced solenoids but still having issues so want to check the wiring harness.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8T tip, 01 NB TDI manual
      06-05-2012 07:51 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Knobby44 View Post
      Does anyone have any ideas why this would happen and not have any forward gears after working great last night and functioning great?
      Did you ever get your car running after your solenoid change?

10. 07-19-2012 02:40 PM #81
      Hello! Excuse for errors in English. I from Russia. At me is 2004 jetta 1.8T with 5 speeds tiptronic from Mexico. Please help to solve my problem! At me the reverse gear-R does not join. When I disconnect the main connector from a transmission, it is necessary to pass a little on D (4 speed), then it is possible will include R. I think that malfunction in the hydroblock!? Test VAG COM of errors is not present, shows that back (R) is included. But the car costs, as though is included N. Thanks for the answer!

11. 07-19-2012 02:53 PM #82
      Excuse, has forgotten to tell that forward all the speed long are switched well.

Vehicles
      '02 Jetta GLS 1.8t
      08-13-2012 03:59 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Knobby44 View Post
      When I went to take off, put it in Drive, and the car wouldn't go anywhere. No forward gears at all. I revved it up higher, and it seemed to try and move a little, like there was low pressure.
      Well, I was feeling confident about replacing my 09A's solenoids until I read this. As for that rattle, I hope you didn't find any extra screws!
      .: trevor | I love my wife! | His: 2002 VW Jetta GLS 1.8t Hers: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

13. 09-02-2012 11:17 AM #84
      I have been having some fairly severe issues with my transmission and I found this thread hoping it would help. So I want to thank coolvdub for such an informative find and post.

It started quiet a while ago,when the car would have issues shifting into second and third unless the rpms climbed fairly high (5k or so). Lately it has stabalized and will only shift from 2nd into third and then directly into 4th as long as I come close to redline (6k rpm). If I drop below 20mph it downshifts and then I have to redline it again to get it to shift.

This at first was only for a few minutes and then nothing. Now the shifting (or lack of) happens for quiet a while, even after the car has been warmed up. It is a 09A transmission, confirmed by a local shop, but they have told me that the valve body needs to be replaced. Those are a tad bit expensive, so I came here looking for an alternative.

Using the sheets that coolvdub put up, I thought that it might be a solenoid issue. Here is what I just got for measurements:

N88-->22.9 N93-->8.4
      N89-->22.8 N281-->22.8
      N90-->22.9 N282-->22.8
      N91-->18.8 N283-->8.4
      N92-->22.8

The only ones that seem to be out of tolerance are N93 and N283, though not by much. The others are fairly close to the limits so they could just be failing also. I am debating taking it to a local VW dealer and seeing if they have anything to say other than replacing the valve body like the local shop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      09-04-2012 09:42 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Jetta0282 View Post
      I have been having some fairly severe issues with my transmission and I found this thread hoping it would help. So I want to thank coolvdub for such an informative find and post.

It started quiet a while ago,when the car would have issues shifting into second and third unless the rpms climbed fairly high (5k or so). Lately it has stabalized and will only shift from 2nd into third and then directly into 4th as long as I come close to redline (6k rpm). If I drop below 20mph it downshifts and then I have to redline it again to get it to shift.

This at first was only for a few minutes and then nothing. Now the shifting (or lack of) happens for quiet a while, even after the car has been warmed up. It is a 09A transmission, confirmed by a local shop, but they have told me that the valve body needs to be replaced. Those are a tad bit expensive, so I came here looking for an alternative.

Using the sheets that coolvdub put up, I thought that it might be a solenoid issue. Here is what I just got for measurements:

N88-->22.9 N93-->8.4
      N89-->22.8 N281-->22.8
      N90-->22.9 N282-->22.8
      N91-->18.8 N283-->8.4
      N92-->22.8

The only ones that seem to be out of tolerance are N93 and N283, though not by much. The others are fairly close to the limits so they could just be failing also. I am debating taking it to a local VW dealer and seeing if they have anything to say other than replacing the valve body like the local shop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Solenoids don't typically fail by coil resistance 'drifting out of tolerance'. Usually it is either a sticking solenoid (which cannot be directly caught by the TCM), or a cabling problem like an open circuit (cut wire) or short circuit (grounded wire).

There are lots of threads here describing your problem; some are fixed by solenoids, and some have been driven so long that the friction material is burned or destroyed in one or more clutches.

Dealer, more than likely, will want to change the whole transmission rather than the valve body.

Vehicles
      2002 Jetta Wgn 1.8t//Moby2, 1975 Corvette//Sasha
      10-19-2012 07:46 PM #86
      Lurked for a time reading and researching about the tiptronic and all its problems. Mine was holding onto 2nd gear requiring revs up to 6000 for it to shift suddenly to 4th. Replaced all 9 solenoids and swapped the fluid. One tankful of gas later it's still going strong, shifting well, and making me happy. Just wanted to thank all who went before making mistakes and solving problems so that the rest of us could benefit.

Fingers crossed for the end of my problems. Maybe I will keep the car after all!

16. Junior Member
      11-02-2012 10:59 AM #87
      Literally just finished reading this complete thread! Thanks coolvdub for posting it. I'm 99.999% sure I have the faulty N92 solenoid, car will not shift out of first when cold until the tranny warms up (5-8 mins). So I'm definitely changing the solenoid out.

Here is my other issue, my RPM's are high and I really think that the tranny is not switching into 5th gear and that I'm running on the freeway in 4th gear. Check out this thread I started here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...cond-when-cold

what do you guys think? Hope someone can point me to the right solenoid to also fix this problem. I know I could just maby swap all the solenoids out, but I'm trying to save some money. If someone can tell me exactly which solenoid controls 5th gear, then maybe that's the culprit of my high RPM's?

From this post that coolvdub posted, it appears that soleniods N88 &N92 are the ones used to acheieve 5th gear, so maybe also changing N88 would fix my problem?

Thanks in advace to anyone how replies.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      11-02-2012 04:07 PM #88
      Just change them all. Your not saving if you have to do it twice or 3 times.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

18. Junior Member
      11-02-2012 05:12 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolAirVw View Post
      Just change them all. Your not saving if you have to do it twice or 3 times.
      Really?...What your saying does make sense, and I really would'nt want to go back in the tranny after finding out that I still have high RPM's...decisions, decisions.

Vehicles
      JTI/Jolf/GTI whatever you wanna call it.
      11-05-2012 02:09 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy55 View Post
      Really?...What your saying does make sense, and I really would'nt want to go back in the tranny after finding out that I still have high RPM's...decisions, decisions.
      Replace the valve body or have all the solenoids replaced. Saving money with an Automatic VW over 10 years old is definitely not an option!
      Im not a ricer. Im lo mein.

20. Junior Member
      11-06-2012 09:56 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by dubluv2003 View Post
      Replace the valve body or have all the solenoids replaced. Saving money with an Automatic VW over 10 years old is definitely not an option!
      Yeah, I think I will order the complete kit of solenoids. Thanks guys. Will post update once complete with the job.

Vehicles
      11-06-2012 10:11 AM #92
      Yeah, I think I will order the complete kit of solenoids. Thanks guys. Will post update once complete with the job.
      Hope you get it worked out. These tranny's can be a pain sometimes.

22. Junior Member
      11-14-2012 02:03 PM #93
      Got the solenoid kit yesterday, will do the install this weekend and report back.

Vehicles
      11-14-2012 02:05 PM #94
      Got the solenoid kit yesterday, will do the install this weekend and report back.
      And take pics!

24. Junior Member
      11-19-2012 01:19 PM #95
      Ok guys, here is my update on my original thread. Swapped out all the solenoids, fixed my "cold shift" issue but still have the high RPM problem. Please read here.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...5#post79756585

Do you guys think my tranny is operating in safe mode? Do you normally reset the TCM after a full solenoid set replacement? Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm hopefull I'll get to the bottom of this issue soon.
      Last edited by wiseguy55; 11-19-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Vehicles
      '02 Jetta GLS 1.8t
      11-20-2012 09:33 AM #96
      Got mine last Tuesday (Nov. 13th) but haven't found the time nor the right place to do the repair. Our driveway is sloped.
      .: trevor | I love my wife! | His: 2002 VW Jetta GLS 1.8t Hers: 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT

26. 02-13-2013 01:35 PM #97
      Found 2 places for the Solenoid kits, Thanks to the forum members links.
      One is almost half the price! Not sure if I should trust the half price kit.

What do you guys think?
      http://www.800700tran.com/prod.itml/icOid/550

http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...ucts_id=803021

Vehicles
      '02 Jetta GLS 1.8t
      02-13-2013 04:17 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by cmcfab View Post
      Found 2 places for the Solenoid kits, Thanks to the forum members links.
      One is almost half the price! Not sure if I should trust the half price kit.

What do you guys think?
      http://www.800700tran.com/prod.itml/icOid/550

http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...ucts_id=803021
      They're for different transmissions. The first link is for the 01M and the latter is for the 09A.

28. 02-13-2013 04:24 PM #99
      Okay Thanks Tj.

Its a 2003 1.8 Jetta Turbo with Auto Trans. How would I determine which trans it is?

29. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2004 VW Jetta Wagon
      02-20-2013 11:18 PM #100
      Nice test procedure but I couldn't find an obvious "smoking gun" with my car.
      N88 > 18 ohm
      N89 > 18 ohm
      N90 > 17 ohm
      N91 > 14 ohm
      N92 > 17 ohm
      N93 > 3.6 ohm
      N281 > 17 ohm
      N282 > 17 ohm
      N283 > 3.6 ohm
      G68 > 590 ohm
      G182 > 600 ohm
      G93 > 3.7 K in garage, said 17 C
      G265 > 590 ohm

I've been getting the "temp not plausible" warning for a while but darned if I can ever catch something crazy using VCDS. I replaced both the coolant sensor and thermostat on the car a year ago.

Wondering if I could pick some brains on other questions:
      * On another thread somewhere it suggested using the Bentley fill method but then add about another 8 oz past the fill point. supposedly the transmission "shifts better". Should I use VCDS again and fill "by the book?"
      * In the same vein I have a wagon and the rear springs are long and stiff, the car tilts forward noticeably. should I level up the door frame when checking the fluid level with VCDS?
      * I have a 4L jug of Titan 3353 ATF and that meets the G052 990 A2 spec, and I heard somewhere that this German made fluid is actually identical to the $28 per liter stuff sold by VW. Anyone heard that?

My car has 180,000 miles on it and while no solenoids read out of spec, one could be sticking. Also I wonder if the valve body would be good to replace now if I do the solenoids, and the wire harness with temp sensor while I am at it.

Thanks.

Vehicles
      03 Beetle TDI, 73 Beetle, 68 Impala, 99 Beetle 2.0.
      03-14-2013 09:19 AM #101
      fyi for those looking for solenoid sets, when searching for mine, i found the best price here:

http://www.electricaladvantage.net/j...lenoidkit.aspx

if you find these guys on ebay, they have free shipping there.
      03 Beetle TDI, grey.
      99 Beetle 2.0, black.
      73 Beetle, red and engineless, still.
      68 Impala coupe, 7.4 liter.
      02 Jetta 1.8t auto, currently the gfs ride.

31. 04-01-2013 04:43 PM #102
      Thank you all for the wonderful information about this issue.
      I have 2003 seat alhambra 1.8T with 5 speed tiptronic. I am getting error code P1778 which means Shift Solenoid 7 - Open Circuit or Short to Ground
      or B+ (N94), my question is where is N94?

Thank you in advance for any information about this.

32. Member
      Vehicles
      06 TDI Golf, with Mods
      04-07-2013 07:39 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by bmp20bunny View Post
      fyi for those looking for solenoid sets, when searching for mine, i found the best price here:

http://www.electricaladvantage.net/j...lenoidkit.aspx

if you find these guys on ebay, they have free shipping there.
      I heard that the guys on ebay don't sell OEM, just foreign stock. I am going to order from Cobra Transmission. They get the Jaeco OEM stuff.

Vehicles
      03 Beetle TDI, 73 Beetle, 68 Impala, 99 Beetle 2.0.
      04-08-2013 05:45 PM #104
      It's a possibility... This box is marked "made in Japan", but jatco is a Japanese company? Here is a pic of a couple from the set I got.

I don't work for them or anything, lol. Just passing along info.
      03 Beetle TDI, grey.
      99 Beetle 2.0, black.
      73 Beetle, red and engineless, still.
      68 Impala coupe, 7.4 liter.
      02 Jetta 1.8t auto, currently the gfs ride.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2003/VW/1.8T Jetta 5sp Automatic
      04-08-2013 07:40 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by bmp20bunny View Post
      It's a possibility... This box is marked "made in Japan", but jatco is a Japanese company? Here is a pic of a couple from the set I got.
      I don't work for them or anything, lol. Just passing along info.
      Original ones are Mitsubishi, I think I saw the logo of Mitsubishi in one of your pictures

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast