Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 01-03 Eurovan Tires - Can't find

Vehicles
      11 Jetta TDI, 09 JSW, 01 Eurovan MV, 91 Jetta Diesel, and a few other in the boneyard
      01-24-2011 01:50 PM #36
      Only have about 50 miles on the enTyres, but they seem quiet and sure footed.

Hard to compare as I can't really recall what MVX4's were like when new. These seem good and I like especially they are right size and load rating.

2. 02-01-2011 10:48 PM #37
      I just bought the Kumho's in a 235/60/16 from Big O. They were less than $125 each mounted and balanced. Fit fine, speedo reads close to correct now...it was always slow on the Dunlops

3. 01-11-2012 11:06 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by aebad View Post
      Only have about 50 miles on the enTyres, but they seem quiet and sure footed.
      A year later, how did these tires end up working for you? curious how they handle in the snow as I'm about to put new tires on my 2003 MV. It's between the eNTYREs and the Michelin HydroEdge (with 97 load rating but excellent snow ratings) GoWesty has a writeup on them here: http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=683

Vehicles
      11 Jetta TDI, 09 JSW, 01 Eurovan MV, 91 Jetta Diesel, and a few other in the boneyard
      01-11-2012 11:23 PM #39
      They were excellent in the snow...for all season tires...and also quite good in rain. I also find them surprisingly quiet, although as I wrote a year ago, it is hard to compare. I am quite happy and would not hesitate to recommend them to you or anyone else.

Tony
      01MV

5. 01-12-2012 09:21 AM #40
      Tony,

Thanks for the quick back. Going with the enTyre then. We have a place out in the hills of northwest NJ and the snow gets wicked. Hope these guys can handle it!

- Chris

Vehicles
      01-12-2012 09:38 AM #41
      Chris,

Just remember these are not dedicated snow tires. They are "good" in the snow, I think better than any other all season tire I have had, but they fall short of what a true snow tire would do for you. When I got my van new in 01 they gave me a set of rims with snows on them and those dedicated snow tires were unbelievable. I never drove on real snows before. Once those wore out, however, I was too cheap and lazy to replace them.

Bottom line, I have been very impressed with the all around performance of these tires.

Good luck on those snoy hills...if you ever get snow this winter!

Tony
      01MV

7. 01-12-2012 02:23 PM #42
      Thanks, I hear you on the "if" regarding snow! Though we did get a foot that weekend before Halloween so I expect we should see something at some point. It's nuts now though.

Incidentally I have heard about these dealer rims but not able to find anything in my manual or online, was told by my guys at Eurotech in woodside. I was told they are a different size tire because the correct size was miserable in the snow. VW actually threw these in for free because of the awful snow performance. So, are they different? I'm thinking that my plan B will be to get a second set of steel rims and snows but want to right size them. What size are your snow tires?

---
      I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.740483,-73.997953

Vehicles
      01-12-2012 03:42 PM #43
      When I bought my van new it came with some nice Dunlop Sport tires. They were quiet and grippy, but wore out FAST. I am guessing someone complained that the van was advertised as coming with all season tires, and these were most definitely NOT all season. The van would not move on any type of incline in snow and ice and even on flat ground was scary in icy weather with those sport tires.

VW said they would sell all 01 owners a set of steel rims, with center caps and snow tires for $150 total, which seemed like a great deal to me. I ordered a set but when they came they said VW changed their mind and there was no charge.

The snows were Dunlops, 205/60R-16. The worn out tires are still on rims as I haven't bothered replacing them. For the few times I need snow tires, the cost and effort just wan't worth it. Interestingly when I went to the basement to check size of those old snow tires I noticed the load rating says 100/98H on these snow tires.

Tony
      01MV

Vehicles
      01-12-2012 03:49 PM #44
      By the way, I ordered my tires at tires-easy.com. I checked and they have enTyres in stock, but they are now $135 vs. $117 I paid a year ago.

Good luck!

Tony
      01MV

10. 01-12-2012 04:09 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by aebad View Post
      By the way, I ordered my tires at tires-easy.com. I checked and they have enTyres in stock, but they are now $135 vs. $117 I paid a year ago.

Good luck!

Tony
      01MV
      Tony, Thanks for the time and help. I bought from Tires-Easy, prices were best I found. Much appreciated!

Chris
      03MV

11. 07-02-2012 11:50 PM #46
      Update on the Nokian Entyres: These tires are really great, I'm very happy with them. They're quiet, the cabin sounds reduced dramatically when compared to the michelins I was running prior. Handling is improved. We didn't have much of a winter so I can't comment on snow performance, but will update next year. And, they're fully up to spec, including a high wear rating, so i'll hopefully get more than 40k miles out of these guys.

Vehicles
      2003VWEurovan, 1987Porsche944, 1985AlfaRomeoSpider, 1992SpecializedAllez
      07-11-2012 12:59 PM #47
      I tried Pirelli Scorpion tires in 235/60, but they were very noisy although they did well in snow and ice. Too expensive and lasted only25,000 miles, so I went cheap with Dunlop SP80 rated 98H in 225/60 for about 2 sets. Good traction in snow and ice, but lasted only 30,000miles. I'd buy them again because they were cheap, but they are no longer available. In pure cheapness and hoping to get a warranty, I have replaced the rears 6,000 miles ago with Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring in 225/60 98H installed at Sams club. When the fronts were a few thousand miles from needing a replacement, one had a puncture, so I went to Sams, but they realized their mistake and refused to replace my fronts with the same, so I had them replace a "spare", just so I could have one. I'll probably keep buying this tire because it is very quiet, has good traction and is very comfortable compared to the Michelin MXV, Pirelli Scorpion, or the Dunlop SP80. I have used.

Yes, this thread is still alive because the problem over the years is only worse with no available proper replacement.
      I like lechon.

13. 07-19-2012 10:22 AM #48
      I've been using Nokians for a long time. I have a set of winter and summer. The winter are Hakkapelitta R and summer are eNtyre. I went with a 215/65/16 as the selection was greater 5 or 6 years ago with that size. I have stuck with that size ever since. You can get the Nokian 225/60/16 that fit the bill for load rating. You can get them in a 102 or a 109 and different speed ratings. For a regular EV, I don't suggest going with a 109 rating as the ride is just too rough. I like the Nokians as they are easy to get, they wear fine, don't go out of round, don't scallop, quiet and I've never had a blowout. I like the Nokians so much that I even bought them for my wife's Jetta. I get mine from tiresbyweb, the summer ones are $141 and winter are $159 (shipping is free). I think that getting tires for a EV is easier today than it was in the past. Order them online and they show up at my door 2 or 3 days later. Go to the place down the street from me and they mount them up.

14. 07-19-2012 01:29 PM #49
      With a few searches in the internet, Continental Contact 2 (109 rating) is available in a 215/65/16 from Tire Rack. I do see that the Continental Extreme Contact Winter is available in a 216/65/16 with a 102 load rating with some vendors. The same for the Continental Conti4x4Contact 215/65R16 102V. Tire Rack also has the Kuhmo Road Venture APT KL51a in a 235/60/16 with a load rating of 104 for $121.

One thing I have noticed, if you have a lowered EV, then the front tire will contact the inner fender well when you have the steering wheel turned to the stop. For me, it happens with a 215 tire but i got the van pretty low and have short bump stops on it. So, with a 235 it will be a bit worse but I think with stock height, everything is fine.

15. Member Operating Engineer O/O's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2002 EuroVan MV & GMC T-7500
      08-13-2012 09:51 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by max asst View Post
      I tried Pirelli Scorpion tires in 235/60, but they were very noisy although they did well in snow and ice. Too expensive and lasted only25,000 miles, so I went cheap with Dunlop SP80 rated 98H in 225/60 for about 2 sets. Good traction in snow and ice, but lasted only 30,000miles. I'd buy them again because they were cheap, but they are no longer available. In pure cheapness and hoping to get a warranty, I have replaced the rears 6,000 miles ago with Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring in 225/60 98H installed at Sams club. When the fronts were a few thousand miles from needing a replacement, one had a puncture, so I went to Sams, but they realized their mistake and refused to replace my fronts with the same, so I had them replace a "spare", just so I could have one. I'll probably keep buying this tire because it is very quiet, has good traction and is very comfortable compared to the Michelin MXV, Pirelli Scorpion, or the Dunlop SP80. I have used.

Yes, this thread is still alive because the problem over the years is only worse with no available proper replacement.
      Has anyone mounted taller or larger O.D. tires than 235/60 -16 on a non-lifted '01-03 without fender issues ? I don't mind if they rub @ full lock turn as long as its not ripping things up, I'm after a little more ground clearance @ job-sites....any input please ? The Nokians are the best real snows I have run in over 40 winters. .thanks , Tom..httpwww.MenzelEngineering.com
      '02 EuroVan MV & '02 GMC T-7500 cabover 3126 CAT & '02 Manitou 14.000 lb Telehandler Perkins/CAT 4.liter...http://www.MenzelEngineering.com

Vehicles
      2003VWEurovan, 1987Porsche944, 1985AlfaRomeoSpider, 1992SpecializedAllez
      08-20-2012 11:42 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Operating Engineer O/O View Post
      Has anyone mounted taller or larger O.D. tires than 235/60 -16 on a non-lifted '01-03 without fender issues ? I don't mind if they rub @ full lock turn as long as its not ripping things up, I'm after a little more ground clearance @ job-sites....any input please ? The Nokians are the best real snows I have run in over 40 winters. .thanks , Tom..httpwww.MenzelEngineering.com

Tom, when I had the 235/60-16 tires on the van, the clearance on the rear was very tight, and I could barely fit a pinky between the tire and lower edge of the bumper/wheelwell. I wouldn't go taller than that.
      I like lechon.

Vehicles
      Current: '97 Audi A6 Quattro, '02 VW Jetta Wagen 2.0l 5sp, '03 Eurovan MV
      09-29-2012 12:34 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by TDI Meister View Post
      I just ordered 2x of the Nokian eNTYREs from eurocampers.com. Ordered sunday, arrived thursday.
      Will have them mounted next week or so....
      These have held up great. We've put about 30K miles on them, and wear indicator #2 is still visible. These are on the front as well.
      Hit the jackpot last weekend!
      I was shopping for 2 new ones for the rear last weekend, was about to place the order from eurocampers - ended up at craigslist and came across a local lady that had 3x Michelins! Couldn't believe it. 2 still had stickers, one was lightly worn but needed a plug/patch for a nail. $120 for 2 new & lightly worn Michelins. Lady purchased them 4 years ago, stored in garage. Eurovan had a blown engine and been rusting away in her driveway for the past 3 years.....
      '97 Audi A6 Wagen Quattro, '02 VW Jetta Wagen, '03 VW Eurovan MV

18. 05-01-2013 11:19 AM #53
      FYI, last week I installed a set of Michelin Defenders 225/60 R16 (load rating 98T ) on my 02 MV Weekender. So far so good! They ride great, are quite, and cut down on some interior rattles.

19. 05-07-2013 12:49 AM #54
      I just put a new set of eNtyres on my EVC and couldn't be happier. Super quiet, nice ride, crisp handling. 225/60-16's 102h . They were available in several tire shops in Seattle to my surprise.

I was running load rating 98's which gave me a scare, so it is nice to have the right tires on.

Vehicles
      2014 JSW TDI
      05-12-2013 08:06 PM #55
      The best tire with the corrects load rating I found was the Continental Vanco. This is the same tire used for the Sprinter. The front axle load on the EV is around 3000 pounds so the proper load rating on the front especially will really improve handling. The Vanco is quiet. Much quieter than the Hakkepelittas I used for winter.
      65 Squareback, 09 Tiquan, 08 GTI, 06 Jetta TDI, 01 Golf TDI, 00 Golf TDI, 00 Eurovan MV, 98 Bettle...and a few dozen other air cooled Dubs. Even a few experiements...07 Cooper S, 08 WRX, 06 FX45, 03 FX35, 08 S2000, 06 Z4C, 05 Cooper S Vert (2), 04 Cooper S HT Nissan Cube and on and on, some I would never admit to...

21. 05-13-2013 02:01 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by pan-d-man View Post
      The best tire with the corrects load rating I found was the Continental Vanco. This is the same tire used for the Sprinter. The front axle load on the EV is around 3000 pounds so the proper load rating on the front especially will really improve handling. The Vanco is quiet. Much quieter than the Hakkepelittas I used for winter.
      I have the Vanco and they're quiet more or less for road noise but they are pretty much like concrete donuts on my '93 GL. I don't think I'd do them again for that reason.

22. 05-14-2013 02:07 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Operating Engineer O/O View Post
      I run 225/60/17 Geolanders on my EVWK. The rear trailing edge is very tight, but I have not yet had issues at speed. Have not had them in mud or snow yet.
      I would just trim the rear bumper 0.5- 1" and be fine.

Previously, I ran 235/55/17 and those had plenty of room, and were never a problem in the 40kmi.

In the winter, I run 215/55/17 and have had these in deep snow and through a 2kmi snow filled trip without issue, ice packed up everywhere in the wells.

23. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2002 Eurovan MV Weekender
      09-09-2013 11:49 AM #58
      My mechanic swears by the Michelin X-Ice, and they do come in the correct size and load rating for the Weekender.
      They have the XL rating, but does this give them the stiffer sidewalls that give the vans better handling on corners?
      Has anyone tried these? Any comments on durability?

Vehicles
      Currently: 2002 EVC; Smart
      09-09-2013 12:41 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by TDI Meister View Post
      I just ordered 2x of the Nokian eNTYREs from eurocampers.com. Ordered sunday, arrived thursday.
      Will have them mounted next week or so....
      Likewise ordered my 4 Nokians eNTYREs(225/60/16-1-2h XL) from Eurocampers.com. Great tires. So far have 16,103 miles on them.

cheers...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12