Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Boxing Thread

1. 10-04-2007 10:38 PM #1
      I just recently posted a thread about the Pavlik and Taylor fight and got a lot of good feedback, so here it is. The "Official Boxing thread.

I guess I will start with a continuation of the Pavlik fight. I heard Don King on Opie and Anthony and that made me start to think that Pavlik may go where the money is. And it will probably be in a rematch. Usually rematches are where the moneys at.

Enjoy the thread and do your best not to trash it like a lot of others get!!! Boxing only! HAHAHAHA

2. 10-05-2007 12:59 AM #2
      I lol'ed a little when I saw this. I never thought I would see the day.

I have a feeling it'll be you and I posting mostly.

With that said, Barrera vs. Pacquiao this weekend. HBO PPV. Who ya got?

Gonna go with experience or tenacity?

I'll pick Pacman. I think Barrera's been in one too many wars and I think Pacman's just going to outwork him.

3. 10-05-2007 01:11 AM #3
      I really hate saying this because it is very stereotypical, but I don't know if Berrera has another great fight in him. I can only imagine 68 fights. Thats a whole lot. On the other hand Pacquiao has had a lot himself. In his last 17 fights, Pacquiao has gone 14-1-2. I really think that because of Pacquiao's power he is going to win. But I really can't count out Berrera because of his skill and his fight plan. I bet he is going to have a really good fight plan. Even with that said if I was a betting man, I would take Pacquiao.

I didn't even notice this whole time that Mayweather didn't retire!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      BMW 335i
      10-05-2007 01:30 AM #4
      I think a pole in a boxing thread would be interesting.

Do you box?

Never boxed?

I think it would be interesting to see how many posters have actually participated in boxing outside of throwing some gloves on with their buds

5. 10-05-2007 01:11 PM #5
      Never been involved with the sport.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      10-05-2007 01:27 PM #6
      I think the majority of the American population is stuck on American Football style athleticism, which is why most of America only see's boxers as being Heavyweight. Lack of Heavyweights = lack of fan base in America.
      Roll Tide & War Eagle but stuck in LSU Country
      UAB Blazer Basketball
      Saints - WHO DAT! ROAD WIN?!
      NOLA Pelicans
      Orioles - Thank You Showalter & all the O's!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 BIG TINGS TIGUAN
      10-05-2007 03:56 PM #7
      pacman kiiiiiiiiiiiiiid!!

8. 10-05-2007 04:58 PM #8
      I trained at Lowell, Lawrence and Portland boxing clubs on and off for six years, mostly on. I used to train with Mal Peadody. He is not incredibly famous but he did train Chyna from the WWE or whatever for a long time. I had about 15 amateur fights. When money became my main priority I couldn't put enough time in. So I just kinda quit. I go to the golden gloves a lot now, but I never quite got there as an amateur.

Oh, and I trained for six months at a Gracie MMA school up in Derry, NH.

Modified by 2004VdubJTI at 1:01 PM 10-5-2007

Vehicles
      B5 A4 Avant. 05 flat black Bagged Passat(sold)
      10-05-2007 05:00 PM #9
      any1 watch the Contender?

Kid from my town is on it. Pretty cool to see him on a show like that

10. 10-05-2007 05:02 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by MikeSc0tt »
      any1 watch the Contender?

Kid from my town is on it. Pretty cool to see him on a show like that

I haven't watched it this year, but someone from last season was a friend from Haverhill Boxing Club. His name was Jeff Frazor. Hell of a kid with a whole lot of power. Didn't do well due to the fact that the fights are not long enough!

11. 10-05-2007 05:28 PM #11
      About 8 solid years as an amateur with close to 100 amateur fights.

2x Upper Midwest Golden Gloves Champ

2000 National Golden Gloves quarterfinalist

2x USA 4-State Champion

Took 4 years off and decided to turn pro. Waited too long IMO.

Retired with a big record of 3-1 with 1(ko) The loss was in June.

I've dabbled.

12. 10-05-2007 05:31 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by PUNCHY »
      About 8 solid years as an amateur with close to 100 amateur fights.

2x Upper Midwest Golden Gloves Champ

2000 National Golden Gloves quarterfinalist

2x USA 4-State Champion

Took 4 years off and decided to turn pro. Waited too long IMO.

Retired with a big record of 3-1 with 1(ko) The loss was in June.

I've dabbled.

Did you retire because of time and money? That is a nice little amateur resume! Good for you for sticking with it that long! Takes a lot out of you training hard everyday and trying to make some sort of money. I don't know about you, but the scarring got annoying too. Going into class all beat up wore me down too. It was fun though and was a great workout.

I was thinking about going back, but the time thing is really bad.

13. 10-05-2007 09:49 PM #13
      I retired for a couple reasons. Boxing stopped being a priority in my life. Training 6 days a week, running every other day before a 40 hour a week job just got tiresome.

The training was beating me up and I'm not exactly a youngin anymore so crap isn't healing like it used to.

I was never in it for the money but I gave the pros a shot. What the hell eh?

14. 10-05-2007 10:16 PM #14
      Not all upcoming fights but some that may be of interest.

PPV
      Saturday, October 13 2007
      Khodynka Arena, Moscow, Russia
      Sultan Ibragimov vs. Evander Holyfield (WBO Heavyweight Championship)

I don't like heavyweight fights but Holyfield's a legend and still going.

HBO
      Saturday, October 13 2007
      Chicago
      Juan Diaz vs. Julio Diaz (WBA, WBO and IBF Lightweight Championships)

TSN
      Saturday, November 3 2007
      Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, Wales
      Joe Calzaghe vs. Mikkel Kessler (WBC, WBA and WBO Super Middleweight Championships)

PPV
      Saturday, November 3 2007
      MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada
      Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Rocky Juarez (WBC Featherweight Championship)

PPV
      Saturday, November 10 2007
      Madison Square Garden, New York, New York
      Miguel Angel Cotto vs. Shane Mosley (WBA and WBC Welterweight Championships)

PPV
      Saturday, December 8 2007
      MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada
      Floyd Mayweather vs. Ricky Hatton (WBC Welterweight Championship)

PPV
      Saturday, January 19 2008
      Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York
      Roy Jones Jr. vs. Felix Trinidad (light heavyweights)

15. 10-06-2007 10:44 AM #15
      Pacman tonight.. I just watched the archive on HBO of the Pac/Bar first fight from 2003 and I think the time and experience has helped Manny and probably slowed marco down a step.

thought? Calzaghe wins next month.. Pavlik steps up in weight to fight him here in 6-9 months? Seems that Pavlik's frame can take another 8 pounds. Plus Joe is undefeated in 4000 years but has never come to Vegas / AC for the big money.

Modified by wedwabbit at 6:53 AM 10-6-2007

16. 10-06-2007 11:51 AM #16
      First step to making boxing popular: unite the different federations/organizations and create a single set of belts by weight class.

17. 10-06-2007 07:10 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by wedwabbit »
      Pacman tonight.. I just watched the archive on HBO of the Pac/Bar first fight from 2003 and I think the time and experience has helped Manny and probably slowed marco down a step.

I really think Pacman is just to strong for him.

thought? Calzaghe wins next month.. Pavlik steps up in weight to fight him here in 6-9 months? Seems that Pavlik's frame can take another 8 pounds. Plus Joe is undefeated in 4000 years but has never come to Vegas / AC for the big money.

Never thought of that!

Modified by wedwabbit at 6:53 AM 10-6-2007

18. 10-06-2007 07:11 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by osiris »
      First step to making boxing popular: unite the different federations/organizations and create a single set of belts by weight class.

I like that idea. There are so many damn belts it hard to keep track of, even if you are a huge boxing fan!

19. 10-07-2007 01:55 AM #19
      Pacman got the "W". Unanimous decision.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 BIG TINGS TIGUAN
      10-07-2007 06:56 AM #20
      Quote, originally posted by PUNCHY »
      Pacman got the "W". Unanimous decision.

yeah baby!!
      pacman kiiiiiiiiid!

Vehicles
      Segway turbo
      10-07-2007 09:18 AM #21
      Yesterday morning(Sat) HBO showed the Prince Hamed vs Barrerra fight from '01. Damn that was a good one!
      I like Pac, but you gotta give it up to Barrerra. That guy is a warrior
      -Wes

22. 10-07-2007 12:37 PM #22
      That he is.

Barerra announced his retirement. Let's see if he sticks to it.

23. 10-07-2007 12:53 PM #23
      Barerra showed guts, thats for sure.. good grief Pac is fast though.

Unimpressive undercard

24. 10-07-2007 03:11 PM #24
      I didn't get a chance to see the fight last night! Anyone got a review of what happened?

25. 10-07-2007 06:42 PM #25
      streaming vid of the fight

http://video.biliranisland.com...1.php

26. 10-07-2007 08:46 PM #26
      On a side note, I figured I would bring up a subject that has really bothered me since I began watching boxing. It is the so-called "charisma" of Muhammad Ali. I think he was the greatest boxer of all time, but his little stage act was a disgrace to everything boxing. As a person he was a real POS. Converting to Islam and insulting everyone like he did. Then refusing to go to war. Ted WIlliams was very good before he went to war, went to war, then came back even greater. I think he is responsible for wrestling personalities and some of the bad personalities in boxing. What do you guys think? This has nothing to do with his in-ring business, just out!

27. 10-07-2007 10:54 PM #27
      Im going to respectfully disagree with you and try to cover a few points.

As a civil activist, he was able to put a voice to a lot of feelings in the black community that were considered dangerous to mainstream America when they were spoken about by Malcolm X and others.

Ali recognized early that he could be a 'voice' and at that stage it was rather hedonistic, but that changed with changes in America in the late 60s where it was ok to speak out on serious social problems in America.

Im not going to bash anyone for serving or not serving in the Armed Forces, but I think the racial issues gand the dissention among many citizens regarding Vietnam were far different than in WWII or Korea (I forget which Ted and many other sports figures served in but the point is the same). The nationalistic values were different. Ali was able to be a 'voice of dissent' and I give him more credit for standing up for his beliefs and refusing to participate in what he felt was an unjust war... would people have felt different if he got into college, or went to Canada, or lived in a park?

He took a lot of flak in the early years for the narcissism.. but he backed it up, and Ive got that picture of him standing over Sonny Liston as an example.. later, fighting Foreman and Frazier? You want to put Jameel McCline in with Frazier in his prime? or any of the current top ranked Russians? It would be a bloodbath.

Look at the Hamed v. Barerra fight from '01. What ever happened to Hamed after he got worked over by a tacticial master in his prime, who is far from a showman. Disappeared.. because he couldnt back up the narcissism in the ring when presented against a true student of the sport.

28. 10-08-2007 12:22 AM #28
      I'll get back to something a lot less heavy. I'll keep it nice and light. Any predictions for the Hollyfield fight? I think he will go the distance, but will he win the belt?

Modified by 2004VdubJTI at 8:27 PM 10-7-2007

Modified by 2004VdubJTI at 2:24 PM 10-8-2007

Modified by 2004VdubJTI at 7:13 PM 10-12-2007

29. 10-13-2007 12:51 PM #29
      Russian in Russia > Holyfield

The real fight tonight... Calzaghe or Kessler?

30. 10-13-2007 02:38 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by wedwabbit »
      Russian in Russia > Holyfield

The real fight tonight... Calzaghe or Kessler?

That is obviously the fight to watch, but I was wondering if the old man can pull it off.

Who do you got in the Calzaghe vs. Kessler fight?

31. 10-13-2007 07:34 PM #31
      thats 2 weeks in a row ive goofed up when the Calzaghe v. Kessler fight is.. I blame HBO for its early hype. its not til November 3rd.

Tonight is Diaz v. Diaz

32. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      10-14-2007 08:56 AM #32
      Juan Diaz stopping Julio Diaz is not a surprise. He is very aggressive and just always fights forward.

Vehicles
      Mom's 2001 Mustang
      10-16-2007 09:14 PM #33
      Ha!

as much as boxing is a great sport, it's long gone. It went the way Horse Racing went, and has long sinced passed the line baseball is toeing, boxing is chilling out with hockey in bobby orr's closet.

34. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      10-17-2007 12:21 AM #34
      Why does everyone involved with boxing refer to boxers as "kids" ????

I miss Friday Night fights. I wish that were a year round program (and I don;t see why it can't be).

Th(e/a)n

35. 10-17-2007 12:38 AM #35
      Quote, originally posted by g60rabbit »
      I think a pole in a boxing thread would be interesting.

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast