Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Rabbit + Lysholm + MSnS = Fun

1. 10-08-2007 09:24 PM #1
      About 4 yrs ago I purchased a very well sorted FSP rabbit out of OH. It already had most allowed upgrades so for the first couple of yrs I changed nothing except the alignment and exhaust.

About 2 yrs later the first real change was power steering. This helped and I think it improved my times but only slightly. The tighter ratio and the assistance was a welcome addition with a small steering wheel and wide sticky tires.

The real changes started last yr. I decided to leave FSP in search of more power. I've been in 16v/ABA turbos and they rock but that wasn't the direction I wanted to go. The real decision for me came down to a fully build 16v 2 litre or supercharged. My decision was very easy when I saw a post on here for one of Peter Tong's supercharded kits for sale locally. Peter is an awesome guy with a spectacular design I called the seller, Deathhare (Shannon) who I think is now banned from the text for life LOL, and negotiated a price.

Included in the sale was everything, well almost everything, needed for the install. Since I'm probably better at breaking things than fixing them, I decided to leave the install to someone who knew what they were doing. A local shop was chosen and the plan was to do the install in two stages:

Stage "1" - install the Lysholm, run on Volvo 240t CIS and work out any "bugs"

Stage "2" - ditch the CIS and run Megasquirt

I just completed my 2nd event on MSnS and the car is alot faster than the driver . It handles just as good as before however braking points are different, I have a close ratio tranny so 7,000 in 2nd seems to happens almost instantly Everything happens alot faster.

The basic setup:
      1.8 JH block bored .040
      Hydro head, port, polish, etc
      G60 cam
      AWIC with PWR
      30lb injectors
      Raid the vw parts bin for lots of misc stuff
      MSnS
      Oh, and a Lysholm twin screw

Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan 4Motion, 2004 R32, 1982 Caddy TDI, 1975 Scirocco 1.8T
      10-08-2007 10:36 PM #2
      cool.

i wanna get blown too.

Andrew Cordeiro www.makehasteracing.com Follow me on Twitter @MakeHasteRacing & Instagram @MakeHasteRacing
      Former 2008-2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup #26
      PROTECT YOUR NECK!! Race safe.Click Here for DefNder's at a LOW PRICE

3. 10-09-2007 07:39 PM #3
      You should bring that out to Motlow State this Sunday.

4. 10-09-2007 07:57 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by Ligero »
      You should bring that out to Motlow State this Sunday.

Cant this weekend b/c out of town but do plan to do "OktoberFast" Oct 20/21 at the Nashville SuperSpeedway.

5. 10-09-2007 08:04 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by MusicCityGTI »

Cant this weekend b/c out of town but do plan to do "OktoberFast" Oct 20/21 at the Nashville SuperSpeedway.

I am planning on being there.

Vehicles
      '84 jetta, show-rat/ '84 GTi, 4 AX/ '05 WRX wagon, + subtle lift, 4 RX/ '11 frontier, CX,MTB shutle.
      10-09-2007 08:21 PM #6
      What kind of bugs did you have @ stage 1 ? ... if any ...

Also has this been dynoed ? I need numbers mang !

7. 10-10-2007 11:35 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Martinus »
      What kind of bugs did you have @ stage 1 ? ... if any ...

The only true bug was cold start which was a little testy. This could have been cured with a little trouble shooting, since it was likely something minor, but wasnt really a priority since MSnS was right around the corner. The charger with the Volvo 240t CIS was a blast to drive. I also liked the simplicity that CIS offered however in the pursuit of more power MSnS seemed like the logical next step.

Quote, originally posted by Martinus »
      Also has this been dynoed ? I need numbers mang !

No trips to the dyno yet but the transition from CIS to MSnS was very noticeable. Based on other's setup, I'd say it is putting about 180 to the wheels and this is with the large pulley. I do have a smaller pulley which should be good for 200+ hp but not going to run it just yet. I'm sure I'll be on a dyno at some point and I'll post the numbers.

Vehicles
      2006 GTI
      10-11-2007 01:04 PM #8
      awesome setup... I like your graphics too.
      xbox live: vroompsht
      2006 GTI 2.0t

10-11-2007 04:23 PM #9
      I've beaten that car when it was in Columbus in FSP trim. Not so sure I could do that now.

I actually bought the Diamond Racing wheels the owner used to use before he bought that Rabbit from Tipple (auto-x contender/champion). I might've dealt w/ deathhare himself. Good guy who was leaving auto-xing/VW's to get back into Jeeps, IIRC.

Enjoy the newfound power. I know that was the only thing lacking some 4 seasons ago.

10-23-2007 12:04 AM #10
      Might be a dumb question....I thought that AWIC were not allowed in SCCA Solo racing? At least that is what the rule book says Am I wrong and if so please point me to where it says you can use an AWIC?

Only ask because I would love to switch over to an AWIC set up for my lysholm too

Vehicles
      '58 OG Paint PG/SG Microbus, '60 Fjord Blue Bug
      10-23-2007 12:51 AM #11
      yes you can run AWIC. Neal ran one in his RotorCharged '77 scirocco SM car (trophied in SM twice). And I have seen others running AWIC's. I will be running one in my '77 once it's supercharged as well. That or just a pipe straight to the throttle body with a water/meth injection system.
      '60 Fjord Blue Bug slammed daily driver
      '58 OG paint PG/SG VW Standard Microbus

David Kvapil Photography

10-23-2007 03:01 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by BoiseMK1GTI »
      yes you can run AWIC. Neal ran one in his RotorCharged '77 scirocco SM car (trophied in SM twice). And I have seen others running AWIC's. I will be running one in my '77 once it's supercharged as well. That or just a pipe straight to the throttle body with a water/meth injection system.

Really? A quick look into the rule book shows me that you are not allowed to use AWIC with liquids on the track - Current 2007 Rulebook Section.Subsection 15.10 C paragraph 3....page 93...this is for STS and SM would be the same since there are no additional allowances.

Additionally I have heard of people being protested and DQ'd for running AWIC

When you run the AWIC during Autox do you not use water at all? I am honestly curious and not trying to be a pain....I really want to run an AWIC but am afraid of getting in trouble

13. 10-23-2007 03:27 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Screwed G60 »

Really? A quick look into the rule book shows me that you are not allowed to use AWIC with liquids on the track - Current 2007 Rulebook Section.Subsection 15.10 C paragraph 3....page 93...this is for STS and SM would be the same since there are no additional allowances.

First off section 15 is SP not STS. There are however no further allawances for SM.

in 15.10.C.3 on page 93 it says "As utilized only on engines originally equiped with forced induction, induction charge heat exchangers (known as "intercoolers" or "charge air coolers (CACs)") are unrestricted in size and configuration. Air-to-ait CACs and radiators for air-to-liquid CACs must be cooled only by the atmosophere, exept far standard parts. Body panels, fascias, or structual mumbers may not be cut or altered to facilitate CAC installation."

to me this says any factory forced induction car can use any CAC they wish as long as there are no aftermarket fans on the CAC or radiator for the AWIC

Modified by meangreen18T at 12:28 PM 10-23-2007

10-23-2007 05:06 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by meangreen18T »

First off section 15 is SP not STS. There are however no further allawances for SM.

Sorry....I mistyped....so what

hmmm....good point but still when you look at 15.10 C paragraph 2 it says that you can't use liquids or anything to add to the cooling of the air temps....does this apply to the AWIC also?

Sorry if this is so confusing but a guy on another forum I am on said that he got DQ'd for having water and ice in his AWIC resevoir

Vehicles
      2006 GTI
      10-23-2007 05:17 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by Screwed G60 »
      a guy on another forum I am on said that he got DQ'd for having water and ice in his AWIC resevoir

I don't really see why you are confused...

Quote, originally posted by meangreen18T »
      Air-to-ait CACs and radiators for air-to-liquid CACs must be cooled only by the atmosophere

water = legal, if only cooled by the air (no fans, no ice)
      ice = illegal

xbox live: vroompsht
      2006 GTI 2.0t

10-23-2007 07:19 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by ReverendHorton »

water = legal, if only cooled by the air (no fans, no ice)
      ice = illegal

you cleared it all up for me thanks

17. 10-29-2007 02:48 PM #17
      Technically fan cooling is using the "atmosphere" so it's still legal.

They just don't want people running ICE, or dry ice cooling to get 50° lower intake temps than everyone else.

06-26-2008 12:24 AM #18
      I was wondering if you still had any coil pack brackets for sale?

19. 06-30-2008 11:07 PM #19

20. 07-01-2008 09:01 AM #20
      Quote, originally posted by RICKMOVE »
      I was wondering if you still had any coil pack brackets for sale?

Way to revive a dead thread!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 Jetta VR6 (bone stock daily driver), 1982 twin screw Cabriolet, 94 Mazda B3000 4x4
      07-02-2008 12:26 PM #21
      Yeah Tony... I need a coil pack bracket too

PS how'd that update plate go on for ya?

22. 07-05-2008 08:55 PM #22
      8 coil pack brackets are on their way (one for each valve)

I am ashamed to report that the upgraded serpentine setup is still packed safely in the box however it will be on shortly. The car has been driven very little this season and only raced once but hopefully things have calmed down a bit and improvements can continue on the car.

Here are results of last week. 12 out of 67 vehicles, with 1 & 2 going to shifter carts. http://www.trscca.org/results/070608_raw.htm Not too bad for only my 2nd event with this setup. Hopefully additional seat time and a bit more tuning will help me gain a few spots.

Modified by MusicCityGTI at 9:43 PM 7-16-2008

23. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 Jetta VR6 (bone stock daily driver), 1982 twin screw Cabriolet, 94 Mazda B3000 4x4
      07-16-2008 12:07 AM #23
      hi Tony,

Glad it went on for you... once you get past cams and the like and if at any time you feel like a bit more power and need a special high flow counterflow intake manifold just let me know as well... I just put one together for Andrew... and frankly its just a sweet hunk of metal (although unfortunately a bit of dough)...

Vehicles
      Built 1986 Vw GTi 2nd and last owner.
      09-10-2010 11:59 PM #24
      Peter. How you been? looks like you have still been up to your old tricks. Rabbit looks nice. I'm still working out the bugs on my mk2. Im me and say hi. I would liek to bounce something of you if you don't mind.

Vehicles
      84 VW Rabbit GTI, 84 VW Jetta Coupe
      08-14-2012 11:42 AM #25
      Any updates to this car? How is it running?

26. 08-16-2012 11:56 AM #26
      any videos?

27. 08-20-2012 02:07 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Road Boss View Post
      Any updates to this car? How is it running?
      Car looks like this now and runs extremely well. Fires right up hot or cold, idles perfect and currently has no issues at all. The stock JH block was placed over this past winter with a fully built 2.0 ABA bottom end with forged pistons, cranks, ARP stuff, etc. It was on the dyno earlier this Spring and made 180wtq and 160whp and was making 13.5 psi. It feels much stronger than the dyno numbers show but that is what the dyno read. Car weighed 1,985 last time it was on the scales. I have a big valve solid lifter Eurospec head ready to bolt on that I'll likely do over the winter and will redo the exhaust at that time also (still has a cat). Hopefully I'll see a few extra HP with these changes.

I still don't have any videos on course but will hopefully borrow a go-pro at an event to get some decent videos. The Lysholm makes such a nice sound!

28. Member
      Vehicles
      03-07-2013 02:36 AM #28
      nice to read about the various improvements being made to this car

29. 03-17-2013 11:54 PM #29
      Good to hear from you Peter. I've had loads of fun in this little car and hope this season is no different. Your kit is still the best upgrade ever made to the car and along with the ABA bottom end the power curve is perfect for auto-x.
      Over the winter I purchased the following items and hope to have everything installed and dialed in shortly.

Here are some pics of items I'm currently installing....