Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Left 'emergency/parking brake' on while driving! Any damage?

1. 10-09-2007 01:54 PM #1
      Being a sleep-deprived, exhausted, full-time stay-at-home-dad to a rambunctious 2 year old, i've been very forgetful as of late. Yesterday, I forgot my emergency/parking brake was on, and drove about 1 to 2 miles on my GTI until I smelled something burning at a stop sign. I immediately realized my blunder, and drove the rest of the 4 miles home normally. Do you think any damage was done to the car? Is it just the rear brake pads that are engaged when the emergency/parking brake is on? Can the intense heat buildup damage any other components other than the brake pads? Should I bring it to the dealership for inspection?

Thanks in advance!

Vehicles
      oil burning 3 door
      10-09-2007 02:21 PM #2
      You should be alright, If you got the rear brakes hot enough to warp the rotor, then you would feel a pulse in the brake petal.

otherwise everything should be okay, worst case you would have to replace the rear rotors and pads...

Dub Cult ESAD

3. 10-09-2007 02:21 PM #3
      You prob just wore the hell out of your rear pads and possibly the rotors. I would just pull the rear wheels and check them.

4. 10-09-2007 02:28 PM #4

5. Banned
      10-09-2007 02:29 PM #5
      if the e-brake lever still has normal pressure, and you don't feel a good pulse/vibration in the brakes, you're good

Vehicles
      2001 GTI VR6, 2000 Audi A6 2.7T
      10-09-2007 02:59 PM #6
      You didn't realize your car was moving a LOT slower than usual? Lmao

I've done it a couple times.. But only for about 20-30 feet and I think.. Why am I moving so slow?!

Quote Originally Posted by jackboots View Post
      I just want to know what sort of reaction you were expecting when you made this thread.

"I'm gonna show TCL how Bromode and kickass I am! That's sure to gain their respect and admiration!"

7. 10-09-2007 03:03 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by blowjustinup »
      You didn't realize your car was moving a LOT slower than usual? Lmao

I've done it a couple times.. But only for about 20-30 feet and I think.. Why am I moving so slow?!

lol same

8. 10-09-2007 03:18 PM #8
      they shouldn't call it an emergency brake, but rather an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever.

you should probably be fine unless you feel a change in the braking.

my car doesn't even move with the e-brake fully engaged. ask me how i know!

9. 10-09-2007 03:34 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by Better Thomas »
      they shouldn't call it an emergency brake, but rather an emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever.

mitch hedberg ftw

10. 10-09-2007 03:36 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by brentmcdaniel07 »

mitch hedberg ftw

x2 lol