Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Difference between the automatic, and tiptronic..

1. 10-15-2007 12:05 AM #1
      OK, so I know WHAT the difference is, but not technically.

What exactly allows the car to shift besides the little up and down part at the shifter?

I want a tiptronic/automatic.. I found a good deal on the right car, but the only downfall is that it doesn't have the tiptronic part. Would it be easy to change? I know people do auto to manual swaps and I figured this is probably a little easier then that too.

2. 10-15-2007 12:12 AM #2
      Well, tiptronic puts you in control of when gears are switched. On alot of automatic cars, there are usually only 4 gears and they are less sporty, due mainly because the transmission switches gears automatically from an economic standpoint (2000-3500 RPM's). With Tiptronic, you can hold out the RPM's longer for more speed and a sportier feel overall. Also, they tend to have an extra gear over automatic (5 gear tiptronic over 4 gear automatic). Tiptronics are by no means close to manual, and generally have a weaker transmission than manual, as well. They also don't generally respond to mods quite as well as a manual transmission.
      A swap would not be made easier going from automatic to tiptronic, nor would it be worth it. I believe for the time, money and materials, it's better to either get it manual or tiptronic to begin with or just don't get it at all.

Vehicles
      '03 Wagon TDI 6spd
      10-15-2007 12:13 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by MidNightDrift »
      Well, tiptronic puts you in control of when gears are switched. On alot of automatic cars, there are usually only 4 gears and they are less sporty, due mainly because the transmission switches gears automatically from an economic standpoint (2000-3500 RPM's). With Tiptronic, you can hold out the RPM's longer for more speed and a sportier feel overall. Also, they tend to have an extra gear over automatic (5 gear tiptronic over 4 gear automatic). Tiptronics are by no means close to manual, and generally have a weaker transmission than manual, as well. They also don't generally respond to mods quite as well as a manual transmission.
      A swap would not be made easier going from automatic to tiptronic, nor would it be worth it. I believe for the time, money and materials, it's better to either get it manual or tiptronic to begin with or just don't get it at all.

x2. this guy know's his stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ennui_delphian View Post
      Don't anger canadiun lesbian...

4. 10-15-2007 12:14 AM #4
      there are sooooooo many electronics bull crap involved w/ the tiptronic and i doubt u could do the swap, and the fact auto's/tiptronics suck, i have one

and they respond to mods just fine but dont transfer the power as good as the manual trans, i have a lot done to mine, its once you get to around 280 ft/lbs to the wheels that the tranny starts to take a poop

Modified by 02vw1.8turbo at 12:15 AM 10-15-2007

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta GLX
      10-15-2007 12:16 AM #5
      yea and the tiptronic thing doesnt swith gears at the exact moment when you hit it (there is a little lag)....i had this experience (with a rental car - Maxda 6)...i brought the car to about 300-400 rpms before red-line before hitting the shifter, the result was the engine bouncin off red-line a few times before switching gears.....i love rental cars

6. 10-15-2007 12:17 AM #6
      ok well i love my tipp. i can play with the gears down shift up shift ect, also i can just leave it in auto when im in traffic so i thing its great

7. 10-15-2007 12:20 AM #7
      im just an idiot with 2.0 auto hah

8. 10-15-2007 12:21 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by danecoacci »
      im just an idiot with 2.0 auto hah

9. 10-15-2007 12:21 AM #9
      thanks for such a quick responce! haha

yea i had a mk4 05 gli.. tiptronic. modded. loved it.
      sold it to get out of debt.. had a few cars inbetween...

now i want a jetta again. i was gonna go vr6 this time, and i found one, in my price range, perfect in every way minus not having the tiptronic. booo!

thanks though for letting me know. ill just have to keep looking i guess!

10. 10-15-2007 12:22 AM #10

The peak horsepower/torque than a tiptronic application can handle is much less in comparison to manual. The MKIV tiptronic transmission is not made to handle excess power, and takes less mods before the tranny gives out.

read it again, i said it can handle up to about 280 ft/lbs to the wheels(torque is what stresses the tranny most), guys have gotten up in that range and thats when the transmission starts to fail, there also is about a 20hp loss do the automatic trans

i know, i have one

Vehicles
      2001 Jetta GLX
      10-15-2007 12:23 AM #11
      why cant you just come to the manual side

12. 10-15-2007 12:23 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by 02vw1.8turbo »
      there are sooooooo many electronics bull crap involved w/ the tiptronic and i doubt u could do the swap, and the fact auto's/tiptronics suck, i have one

and they respond to mods just fine but dont transfer the power as good as the manual trans, i have a lot done to mine, its once you get to around 280 ft/lbs to the wheels that the tranny starts to take a poop

Modified by 02vw1.8turbo at 12:15 AM 10-15-2007

The peak horsepower/torque than a tiptronic application can handle is much less in comparison to manual. The MKIV tiptronic transmission is not made to handle excess power, and takes less mods before the tranny gives out. Also, manual is the only one with a clutch pedal. It takes time to shift gears between either one, which contributes to the power loss, as well. If you're looking for a fast change of gears or higher power application, look into DSG

13. 10-15-2007 12:24 AM #13

read it again, i said it can handle up to about 280 ft/lbs to the wheels(torque is what stresses the tranny most), guys have gotten up in that range and thats when the transmission starts to fail, there also is about a 20hp loss do the automatic trans

i know, i have one

u deleted ur post midnight

14. 10-15-2007 12:25 AM #14

i know, i have one

I read it again, then read this. I don't get why you asked me to read it again. Power transfer is less, it can't handle as much power and tranny begins failing
      Basically just making me feel good about me driving manual

u deleted ur post midnight

Did I change what you quoted at all or add to it?

15. 10-15-2007 12:26 AM #15

I read it again, then read this. I don't get why you asked me to read it again. Power transfer is less, it can't handle as much power and tranny begins failing
      Basically just making me feel good about me driving manual

o i just thought u didnt realize i said it can only handle up to about 280ft/lbs to the wheels(manual obviously can handle lots more)

i'll have a manual soon, (jetta is the first car soo wasnt too worried about having a 5spd)

and i said u deleted it cuz my response was now above urs lol

16. 10-15-2007 12:29 AM #16
      whoa whoa everyone calm down. I didnt want to start a fight. haha

I had tiptronic before and I liked it. Ive driven automatic.. and I dont like not being in control of shifts...
      I drove stick, and I hate the clutch in traffic ( which is like all the time ) and when I'm tired, and for a daily driver.

SO, I was just wondering if it was a pita to switch it to tiptronic from auto. Geeezzz... haha I forgot how antsy everyone was on here.

17. 10-15-2007 12:30 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by dUb_giiirLs »

I had tiptronic before and I liked it. Ive driven automatic.. and I dont like not being in control of shifts...
      I drove stick, and I hate the clutch in traffic ( which is like all the time ) and when I'm tired, and for a daily driver.

SO, I was just wondering if it was a pita to switch it to tiptronic from auto. Geeezzz... haha I forgot how antsy everyone was on here.

wasnt gettin "antsy" but i doubt it would be easy or cheap for u to do the swap therefore making it not worth it

Vehicles
      Audi TT 225
      10-15-2007 12:33 AM #18

x2

19. 10-15-2007 12:37 AM #19

o i just thought u didnt realize i said it can only handle up to about 280ft/lbs to the wheels(manual obviously can handle lots more)

i'll have a manual soon, (jetta is the first car soo wasnt too worried about having a 5spd)

and i said u deleted it cuz my response was now above urs lol

Thing is, notice how you said at around 280ft/lbs to the wheels the tranny starts to fail? Most applications will fail much earlier than that. Tiptronic transmissions are just not meant for it. Also, the fact that you cannot adapt the changing of gears by utilizing how you engage or let out the clutch pedal is a big downfall when comparing the two. I have driven both manual and automatic/tiptronic for an extended period of time and have gotten to know the two. I would like tiptronic mainly because when I want to get out of automatic for more spririted driving on maybe minor mods, while still being able to go back to automatic for city driving, this would be for me. If you can handle the manual transmission wherever you go and would like to extensively modify your car, manual would be a much better way to go.

No no, we're not anywhere near fighting. Just conversing and comparing. he's not just another knucklehead saying "no you moron that so stoopid you know y0!!1!1"

20. 10-15-2007 12:40 AM #20

Thing is, notice how you said at around 280ft/lbs to the wheels the tranny starts to fail? Most applications will fail much earlier than that. Tiptronic transmissions are just not meant for it. Also, the fact that you cannot adapt the changing of gears by utilizing how you engage or let out the clutch pedal is a big downfall when comparing the two. I have driven both manual and automatic/tiptronic for an extended period of time and have gotten to know the two. I would like tiptronic mainly because when I want to get out of automatic for more spririted driving on maybe minor mods, while still being able to go back to automatic for city driving, this would be for me. If you can handle the manual transmission wherever you go and would like to extensively modify your car, manual would be a much better way to go.

No no, we're not anywhere near fighting. Just conversing and comparing. he's not just another knucklehead saying "no you moron that so stoopid you know y0!!1!1"

ya no where near fighting

but its been shown that you can get up to about 280ft/lbs, i forget who got the highest... but anyways, saying they dont take mods well just isnt true,(thats what i was getting at, hell a lot of people here dont have that much torque lol) i have a good bit of mods done and only problem was two of my slave cylinders went out, but stuff breaks when you mod it(even in a manual ) but i plan on going ko4 when this k03s blows up, i've talked to rippinralf from kinetics and he said its been done before plenty of times and is pretty reliable

21. 10-15-2007 12:45 AM #21

ya no where near fighting

but its been shown that you can get up to about 280ft/lbs, i forget who got the highest... but anyways, saying they dont take mods well just isnt true, i have a good bit done, two of my slave cylinders did go out but stuff breaks when you mod it(even in a manual ) but i plan on going ko4 when this k03s blows up, i've talked to rippinralf from kinetics and he said its been done before plenty of times and is pretty reliable

Haha you keep saying people have gotten number that high and it's been done before, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Plenty of people got their MKIV .:R32's done up by EIP. Check their forum out and ask em how that went
      I still don't think it's worth it to invest too much money into, especially with the lack of the clutch pedal. The power loss and risk involved for comparing a modded manual to the same mods done up on a tiptronic just doesn't seem like a good investment of money to me. Trying to make an MKIV fast is hard enough. Making a tiptronic MKIV fast and being able to handle that power? I just wouldn't risk it.

22. 10-15-2007 12:48 AM #22

Haha you keep saying people have gotten number that high and it's been done before, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Plenty of people got their MKIV .:R32's done up by EIP. Check their forum out and ask em how that went
      I still don't think it's worth it to invest too much money into, especially with the lack of the clutch pedal. The power loss and risk involved for comparing a modded manual to the same mods done up on a tiptronic just doesn't seem like a good investment of money to me. Trying to make an MKIV fast is hard enough. Making a tiptronic MKIV fast and being able to handle that power? I just wouldn't risk it.

i never said u can make it fast, u can make the tiptronic quick, we good now? lol and i DO plan on doing a ko4 on mine, but its gonna turn into my daily whenever i get my new project car this summer, its been really reliable for the 3 years i've had it

23. 10-15-2007 12:49 AM #23
      well cant a tip handle just as much power as a manual? That is till you have to upgrade the clutch.

24. 10-15-2007 12:50 AM #24
      Quote, originally posted by mystthebird »
      well cant a tip handle just as much power as a manual? That is till you have to upgrade the clutch.

reading > you

25. Member
      10-15-2007 12:52 AM #25

Tiptronic = automatic with a gimmick

To actually answer your question, a swap would not be feasible. You would need the trans itself, Tip ECM and TCM, shift box, all the switches, and the instrument clusters are different. You'd be looking in the neighborhood of $4000 just in parts. A used Tip box from a junkyard with no promises that it works goes for $2000-$2200 alone.

Just get a manual trans to start and deal with it in traffic. It more than makes up for itself just about all other times. I made the same mistake a long time ago, and it ended out being a very expensive mistake, so I'm speaking from experience.

26. 10-15-2007 12:54 AM #26

i never said u can make it fast, u can make the tiptronic quick, we good now? lol and i DO plan on doing a ko4 on mine, but its gonna turn into my daily whenever i get my new project car this summer, its been really reliable for the 3 years i've had it with a K03S

Quicker, I gueeeess

And a K04 should be a pretty good upgrade. I wouldn't personally do it because I'd rather hold out on possibly the next car since the K04 doesn't do too much on a manual MKIV with K03S and even less on a tiptronic, but of course to each his own

Quote, originally posted by mystthebird »

Where were you the first 20 posts

27. 10-15-2007 12:59 AM #27

Quicker, I gueeeess

And a K04 should be a pretty good upgrade. I wouldn't personally do it because I'd rather hold out on possibly the next car since the K04 doesn't do too much on a manual MKIV with K03S and even less on a tiptronic, but of course to each his own

o i know its nothing specially but its pretty much as big as u can go when u have a tiptronic, and the next project(cabriolet or mk2 jetta) im doing isnt going to be drivable while im working on it so i need my jetta to drive while its getting the engine put in etc butttt back to the point, swapping a tip into an auto is not worth it

Vehicles
      03' GLI 24vT
      10-15-2007 01:06 AM #28
      offtopic sorta, but the only automatic "tiptronic" that actually isn't tiptronic, but rather a sequential gearbox that I would consider driving is the SMG option from a M3.
      The internet is serious business.

29. Member
      10-15-2007 01:25 AM #29
      Quote, originally posted by One Gray GLI »
      offtopic sorta, but the only automatic "tiptronic" that actually isn't tiptronic, but rather a sequential gearbox that I would consider driving is the SMG option from a M3.

Have you ever driven an SMG Bimmer? You really should drive the 2.0T with DSG just for the hell of it. It's a blast. The shifts are lightning quick, and the launch control is pretty cool. If you absolutely need this kind of tranny and can't afford or don't want a Bimmer, DSG is the way to go. I believe it still holds the claimed quickest shift record over the SMG and Ferrari. I'd still prefer a real manual myself.

30. 10-15-2007 01:43 AM #30

wasnt gettin "antsy" but i doubt it would be easy or cheap for u to do the swap therefore making it not worth it

yea the swap would be one of the ultimate

i kinda like driving my manual in traffic....i gotta do it every day, and when i drive through traffic with an auto it seems like it takes 10 times longer

31. 10-15-2007 01:51 AM #31
      I have a VR6 with tiptronic . . if I had an exhaust, I would probably learn to love it. Other then that, I usually NEVER use it because it almost makes the transmission weaker when you decide to make it shift . . it's kind of rough for me. =/

Vehicles
      1983 GTI, 2012 GTI
      10-15-2007 02:02 AM #32
      *shrugs* I don't mind an automatic that much.

And before everyone gets all antsy in their panties, we have a 24v 6-speed too.

33. Member
      Vehicles
      '11 Golf TDI
      10-15-2007 03:28 AM #33
      Well id just look for a tiptronic VR6...just because of the fact that it will be a 24v VR6. Plus you will get the GLX goodies.

34. 10-15-2007 04:29 AM #34
      If it wasn't for the fact that it often shifts at 4K when I don't want it to I would actually like my tiptronic. Why you would want to spend a ton of money gettting a 1.8T to 280 lbs wheel torque? It's FWD. Come on VW make a FI AWD model already

35. 10-15-2007 04:44 AM #35
      The Only engine that comes in Manual is a 2.0, and very few early 12v VR6's.

If you're looking to stick a tiptronic transmission onto a 2.0, youre really wasting your time.