any updates ?
A couple of pictures I took while working on it on Friday.
Forward fuselage side skin removed, exposing the structure underneath:
With the seat and baggage floor in place:
And a sample of how I plan to paint the interior with silver Rustoleum "Hammered" paint:
A little progress here and a little there isn't exactly the speed I'd like to be going, but at least it's progress
6ish month update! It's only taken me all summer to get to the point that I thought I'd be at sometime in July, but that's the way things go sometimes....
I've basically got the lower portion of the fuselage all riveted up, and I have the place to myself all next weekend, so there SHOULD be some good progress made
Rivets in the fuselage side:
A smooth belly:
Look ma! (almost) NO CLECOS!
This aft deck sets whatever twist there is in the fuselage, so after clecoing on the aft turtledeck, it came in an 0.0 degrees of twist, so I drilled it!
The turtledeck needs to come off to install some brackets and the shoulder harness anchors, but it looks good up there
I just found this thread. Wow, talk about awesome. My dad is an aviation nut, I'll have to forward it to him.
I knew I remember seeing this thread somewhere! I saw the first few pages and then lost it and couldn't find it.
Great progress! A coworker at an old job built a kit plane. Took me for a spin. let me do some barrel rolls. What a blast!
Looking forward to seeing this completed.
P.S. I'm subscribing this time so I don't lose it.
Got 17.5 hours in this weekend! Started off match drilling the shoulder harness anchors to the longerons, then some gusstes for the bulkheads:
Then assembled and drilled the elevator bellcrank:
Then fit and drilled the aft and forward top skins on:
Then I got to move on to the baggage compartment! First installed the ridder cables, then the aft side baggage covers, followed by the floors:
Then I had to cut the corners of the top portion of the rear bulkhead, plot all the screw holes, and drill them to the bulkhead they get attached to:
Then screwed the forwrad side covers in place and the tunnel cover and called it a day:
It's really starting to come together, but it's all going to have to come apart again for deburring and dimpling
Long time no updates I've made a little progress since my last post, butnothing major, and I haven't updated my build log yet. What I HAVE been doing though is trading aluminum and rivets for wood and glue. Now I have two unfinished airplane projects, but I think this one will get done first:
I can't wait to see his response when it's on all three wheels and painted!
Pedal planes The plans are pretty cheap, but if you opt for all the kits (precut wood, etc.), you're looking at several hundred $'s. For me, the time saved with the kits is WAY worth it though- all the wood is cnc cut, metal parts fabbed and welded, etc. Still PLENTY of work left to be done to finish one though I've got a solid day just in shaping the wheel pants, for example.
I did build the EAA1000 workbenches a few weeks ago so one of the kits (be it the 7 or 14) will be starting this winter
My first reaction to the -14 was "sonofabitch, my plane is obsolete already!" But the more I read about it, the better I feel about having the -7. The improvements in the kit and instructions for the -14 would sure be nice, but for me, that's about where the benefits end. The -14 is a little bit slower, uses a more expensive engine (not sure if there will be other options at this point), and while it can carry more weight, it's still limited to 100lbs. in the baggage area. It also carries more fuel, but with the extra tanks I installed, I have 51 gallons vs. 50 for the -14.
Overall, it seems to be a nice plane for the larger crowd with some mission overlap with the -7. It seems that Van's is trying to address some of the issues with experimental safety by making kits that are more standardized to eliminate builder discrepancies. I look at the -12 and -14 as being production line airplanes that individuals build at their own shop
I'm still on the fence but the guys at my local EAA chapter have convinced me to build the 7 empennage anyway. That way I can get some build experience first and either continue on with the build or sell it to start the 14. As for the engine, someone on VAF stated the 390 is only a few hundred dollars more expensive than the angle valve 360 (which Vans stated may end up working in the 14 anyway). But the 390, at the moment, is not certified for auto fuel which would be a big hit for me too.
Yeah, I don't think you'll lose much by building the -7 empennage. You'd be looking at 5-6 weeks if you put in about 20 hours a week. Just look at it as an oversized practice kit
I honestly haven't priced new engines recently, but I'm under the impression that the 390 is going to be a $40k engine in short order. As time goes by, it'll be easier to find used ones, but still a lot harder than for the 180-200hp. Maybe I'm just a cheap ass...