Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Well, there goes all my "spare" time!

Vehicles
      S1 Storm 20vSC-AWD, 93 Corrado VR6
      09-06-2012 12:24 AM #176
      So you perked my attention at the museum last weekend and I came across this thread. All I can say is this is amazing and pretty awesome. Keep it up. Seems like the adventure is as much fun as the end result.

2. 09-06-2012 03:49 PM #177
      Thanks Matt It sure is nice to work with brand new materials, instead of oil and grease covered parts!

I put the rain tray in the Scirocco Monday morning. The thicker material made it a bit difficult to get the clips on without tools, but I made it happen

If you ever find your way down to the Bend area, let me know

3. 09-05-2013 11:53 AM #178
      Thread bump!

It's time for me to start my RV-7 empennage.

Major house projects complete (built a deck this summer and painted much of the interior/exterior).

A few questions for you....since the VAF forums are so torn...

What primer/priming process did you use? I don't think I want to go through the whole alumiprep/alodine/prime process....was leaning more towards scuffing & a self etching rattle can primer.

2x or 3x rivet gun? I'm going to go with the Cleaveland kit and a Souix gun, but not sure which one to get if I'm only going to get one.

4. 09-05-2013 08:11 PM #179
      Sweet! I think you're going to have a lot of fun

I've been using SEM self etching primer, mostly because you can get it in rattle cans, quarts or gallons. So you have the rattle cans for small parts or short work sessions, and can use a spray gun for larger parts or priming sessions. I called SEM before I started using it, and the person I talked to recommended sealing the primer after applying it to the part because it will actually absorb water. So I've been spraying clear coat over the primer, which can look nice, but it's also a bit of a PITA. I never really looked into 2 part epoxy primers, so that may be a good way to go also, but I suspect will take a bit more planning for small parts, etc.

For the rivet gun, I'm using a 2x and have had to borrow a 3x once or twice. I think I'd go with a 3x and just keep the pressure down for the -3 rivets. There are times when the 2x takes so many hits to set a rivet that the bucking bar slips and you muck up the rivet. I think the 3x is a great benefit in those situations (like riveting the wing ribs to the spar). I would also invest in a tungsten bucking bar- REALLY helps get rivets set quickly.

When it comes time to put the end ribs on your elevators, DON'T follow the directions! I believe they have you rivet the nose and end ribs together first, then rivet the nose rib to the spar. This makes it very hard to get your rivet gun and bucking bar(maybe squeezers would work, I forget) into position. If you put the nose rib on first, it goes on super easy, then it's super easy to rivet the end rib to the nose rib.

Have fun! I'm still trying to unbury myself enough to get back to work on mine

Vehicles
      All of Them
      09-13-2013 04:50 PM #180
      IKEA plane in a box...
      Love this thread Loooong time

heres a motivation pic for ya.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      92 VW Cabriolet 1.9L TD
      10-06-2013 12:14 AM #181
      Good luck with it!
      I got to go on a tour in the Cessna factory which makes me want to build an aircraft one day. Maybe when college has been completed and I have more time..

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Jeep Grand Cherokee
      10-12-2013 10:57 PM #182
      What model Stinson are you working on? I did my tail wheel in a 108-2 and am planning on buying one in the future.

I also used to teach at Aurora airport so it's cool to see someone build one in steps. The factory opened the year I left so I never had a chance to tour.

8. 10-14-2013 12:30 PM #183
      The Stinson is a 108-1, thread HERE. Currently having the starter rebuilt and drying out some instruments. I met a guy a few weeks ago that can work with me on rebuilding the big engine for it.

The RV is in hibernation mode, hoping to get back on it this winter. This is reason I put quotes around the word spare in the title, haha!!

9. 04-30-2014 11:56 AM #184
      Well, I thought I'd bump this thread up....finally got started on my RV-7 build

I've had the empennage kit almost 4 years now, however most of my free time has been going towards my house. Not anymore!

I'm starting with the vertical stabilizer instead of the horizontal, as it's supposed to be a little bit easier. Here's the result of fitting the vertical stab spar doubler into the vertical stab rear spar. With the way the rudder attach brackets go on after this step, I should've cleco'd this from the other side but i'll flip it over tonight. Hoping to complete the empennage by Oshkosh!

Vehicles
      '93 Corrado, '07 Mazda 3 CSV
      04-30-2014 12:03 PM #185
      I was wondering if we were going to see this thread again! Looking forward to more progress pics. Keep it up!
      Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

11. 04-30-2014 08:51 PM #186
      Congrats man! Did your VS-808 have a nice curve to it? I remember mine having about a 3" arc to it when it was sitting on a flat surface.

I built a couple more work benches over the weekend, maybe I'll get back to business on this project this summer

12. 05-01-2014 10:08 AM #187
      Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid VW View Post
      Congrats man! Did your VS-808 have a nice curve to it? I remember mine having about a 3" arc to it when it was sitting on a flat surface.

I built a couple more work benches over the weekend, maybe I'll get back to business on this project this summer
      Mine actually wasn't so bad. It did have a little curve to it, but nothing like yours and the one my buddy had. I think my kit is circa 2007. I also don't have lightening holes in mine - all the new kits come with them drilled out already. I'm going to end up drilling them out because it seems the RV-7 can get a little tail heavy at the end of the build.

Anyway, last night I updrilled all the holes in the spars & ribs. Started clecoing on the skin to updrill that but ran out of 3/32 clecos - my order of more hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get to deburring, dimpling and priming and hopefully have a VS by early next week

Vehicles
      2006 WRX Wagon
      05-01-2014 12:09 PM #188
      This has been a cool thread to dig through. Now I have to follow like the people that have been following it from the beginning and wait a few more years for one of these to be done.
      Got any hoppy beers to recommend? PM me.

Press in dire situations: http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

14. 05-12-2014 12:29 PM #189
      Vert stab finished!

Vehicles
      05-12-2014 01:25 PM #190
      Are you painting the parts?
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

16. 05-12-2014 02:46 PM #191
      The internal structure (spars, ribs, etc.) get a coat of self-etching spray can primer...I'm using NAPA 7220. I also primed the parts where the skin meets the internal structure.

When the plane is assembled, it will eventually get painted.

Vehicles
      05-13-2014 01:18 PM #192
      Gotcha. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

18. 05-19-2014 05:24 PM #193
      Nice job! Only about 17433 more rivets to go!

I started organizing my space last week, and actually found where I had left off, and even found the parts I was working on Then yesterday, I actually made PROGRESS! Edge deburred two small pieces and match drilled six holes before the 4 year old demanded my attention WOO!

19. 05-21-2014 10:06 AM #194
      Nice job! Only about 17433 more rivets to go!

I started organizing my space last week, and actually found where I had left off, and even found the parts I was working on Then yesterday, I actually made PROGRESS! Edge deburred two small pieces and match drilled six holes before the 4 year old demanded my attention WOO!
      Sounds like its time to sell me the rest of your -7 and start building a -10

Anyways i had my first (of a few, I'm sure) setback this past weekend. Drilling some holes with a long drill bit (the HS-404 and HS-405 to the HS-702 front spar) I really should've drilled #40 pilot holes. Instead, I drilled them right to #30 and due to me trying to bend the long drill bit to get the hole perpendicular to the parts, the holes ended up enlarged beyond the maximum milspec diameter. While I could updrill them to accept a 5 rivet, I'm a little unhappy with some other things on the front spar. Ordered some new pieces on Monday and hopefully I'll be back to it this weekend!

20. 05-27-2014 02:53 PM #195
      I think that may be one of the areas where people have put AN3 bolts instead of rivets, but I'd have to look at the plans to be sure. Either way, sounds like you've got it covered!

If I ever end up with a -10, it'll be because I bought a completed one

21. 06-16-2014 10:39 AM #196
      Well I'm finally ready to start riveting the horizontal stabilizer together.

Spent about 6 hours yesterday scuffing, dimpling, and priming all the parts (minus the skins).

22. 06-20-2014 03:36 PM #197
      Of course, now that I've officially hijacked Hybrid's thread, i'll post another pic

Spars riveted and ready for skins. Should be done with the horizontal stabilizer this weekend and on to the rudder!

23. 06-23-2014 05:00 PM #198
      Quote Originally Posted by joness0154 View Post
      Of course, now that I've officially hijacked Hybrid's thread, i'll post another pic

Spars riveted and ready for skins. Should be done with the horizontal stabilizer this weekend and on to the rudder!

Hijack away!

The question is, are you having fun yet? There's just something AWESOME about destroying rivets and creating such a light, stiff structure at the same time, especially when you've got a whole row of rivets to do and a pneumatic sqeezer

24. 06-29-2014 07:19 PM #199
      Hijack away!

The question is, are you having fun yet? There's just something AWESOME about destroying rivets and creating such a light, stiff structure at the same time, especially when you've got a whole row of rivets to do and a pneumatic sqeezer
      So far, i'm having a blast! No pneumatic squeezer here, doing it the manly way with the Cleaveland Main Squeeze The thing is a beast, and I can squeeze 1/8th inch rivets with no issues.

Anyway, finished up my horizontal on Friday. Time for the rudder and elevator!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456