Thread: Your gear, show it to me...

1. 07-03-2010 11:59 PM #251
      Some guitars

Top: Martin D-41.
      Bottom left: National M2.
      Bottom right: Larrive L-09

1967 Gretsch Streamliner

Close-up of National M2
      Last edited by Alex W; 07-12-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Vehicles
      12 BMW 135i, 50 Ford Custom Deluxe
      07-16-2010 12:58 AM #252
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave928 View Post
      picked up another SG...

those are sweet. i have owned over 8 SGs over the years. still the best guitar for me any day!!

3. 07-21-2010 11:36 AM #253
      I picked up some contact cleaner, and once again my old (1982?) Marshall 5010 30-watt practice amp is kickin' it out in spades!

It was unusable prior to cleaning the pots. I forgot how good this little combo sounded.

the inside is so simple...

celestion 75w speaker...

empty whilst cleaning/repairing....

Vehicles
      Saabaru 92x aero
      07-23-2010 08:15 AM #254

Vehicles
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze
      08-10-2010 11:00 AM #255
      Hi guys, I have a quick question about a piece of gear I'd like to add to my small collection and will be my first electric guitar.

http://www.daddys.com/detail.php?ite...Number=EPI9323

A used Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I'm going to go take a look at it this week, hopefully with a friend that I know knows more about guitars than me. I'm pretty confident it will be a good guitar at a good price, but would like some more input. Thanks. And I have already fallen in love with the color.
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 2014

6. 08-11-2010 12:57 AM #256
      I don't think Epiphones are worth what they sell for. I'm thinking about getting rid of mine and putting the money towards an Agile. I'm just not pleased with the fit and finish of the Epiphone brand. Maybe their more expensive ones are better, but the standards are not worth the price of admission IMO.

Just my 2 cents. I say go check it out and it may be worth the money, but don't be surprised in 6 months if you start noticing flaws in the craftsmanship.

Vehicles
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze
      08-11-2010 09:00 AM #257
      Thanks. I went to go see it after work yesterday. It was in pretty ratty condition. Definately not in "good" condition as described. They had a lot of other stuff there that I'll check out again today like a light blue Fender Mexi Strat for ~$300. What sucks about the store is since most stuff is used you have to play through used and beat amps.
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 2014

8. 08-16-2010 09:08 AM #258
      Nice guitars boys! Gorgeous.

Picked up a distortion pedal this weekend.

No idea if its a good pedal or not, i'm totally new to guitars, amps and pedal fx. it was cheap enough at $75 used.

It sounds surprisingly good through the Beltone - the distortion breaks up nicely.

Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      08-23-2010 08:24 PM #259
      Okay, I'll bite...

I'm just getting my '73 Twin Reverb ready for sale:

I have a MINT 1964 AC-30 back in the UK also... (I'm the second owner from new). I'm either going to bring it over or sell it, if I find the right buyer.

I do a lot of recording, and I build a lot of my own gear:

Here's one room which I built at work:

Here's the room three weeks previously, under construction:

My rack of (mainly self-built) compressors:

Building another one:

A tube compressor which I built a few years ago:

...And another one which I built recently (Stereo Buss Compressor):

Me with Mick Glossop (Legendary British Producer/Engineer... Frank Zappa, Van Morrison etc

Me with Tony Iommi (Can't find the picture without the face blackout...) -I engineered a couple of projects with him years ago; we've been friends ever since.

Recently I installed thirteen Solid State Logic consoles over a 2-week period:

This is my current boss's Guitar room:

Keith
      Last edited by VWAddict; 08-23-2010 at 08:32 PM.

10. 08-23-2010 09:14 PM #260
      whoa - awesome! how long have you been building your own stuff?

Vehicles
      08-23-2010 09:52 PM #261
      About 25-25 years off & on... actually, I suppose i built my first fuzz-box when I was about 13 years old... I'm 46 this year, so maybe more like 32 years.

I'm also building a little 18-Watt Marshall clone, so I can get some crunchin' blues tone without killing the neighbours... that's why the Fender has got to go. It's just too loud! -It's a gorgeous amp when it's clean, and it breaks up nicely when it's SUPER loud, but I don't play very clean, and at the volume that it breaks up; the whole block can hear it!

Great studio amp, when 'death-by-decibel' can be held at bay by some heavy soundproof doors and airlocks, but useless for home use, unless you're a Nashville cat, or a keyboard player; in which case it's pretty good. -Time for it to find a new owner... (whoever buys it can be SURE that it's been very properly cared for, mind you!)

just bought my 6-year-old son his first guitar, and a little Fender amp too... but so far he's not showing any great fascination with it. -Oh well.

I'm a moderator over at the Prodigy Pro forums, which is mainly based around people building their own gear. There's a few guitar builders there too, -which reminds me, I put my own Strat-type guitar together, and that's my daily axe. -Just a plain-n-simple Strat.

I've got a 1-off custom bass (with a Kahler whangy-bar on it... -MADNESS!) and a few other bits and pieces, but I'm really more of an engineer (and car nut!) than I am a musician. -Over the years I've worked with guitarists who are so stratospherically good that I have no pretensions to EVER being any good, so I just noodle and doodle around, and concentrate on getting a nice tone.

I've built some custom microphones also, including a home made B-format microphone, rather like a SoundField mic. -Of course I also own a real SoundField mic too, which is what I use for most orchestral recordings which I do nowadays. I'd have to dig deep to find any pics of those though. -I used to own THREE SoundFields at one time, but sold two to fund the design and build of my home-grown version.

Keith

12. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      08-23-2010 10:07 PM #262
      Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post

I have a MINT 1964 AC-30 back in the UK also... (I'm the second owner from new). I'm either going to bring it over or sell it, if I find the right buyer.
      DO WANT.
      Not that I have the cash for it, but after a lot of playing around trying to decide on "my" tube amp (or amps) I have decided that VOX is "it" for me, and I don't know that it gets better than a classic AC30. I have a Night Train right now, for the same reasons you mentioned - it's good to be able to play at less than deafening volumes.

I'll take those, too. The Hobnobs, I mean. Those things are like crack. I got addicted when I lived in England, and I still miss them.

This is my current boss's Guitar room:

Keith
      Ok, have to admit that I am trying to pick out guitars and figure out who it is.

Neat stuff! Thanks for sharing!

-Tim
      The artist formerly known as SilverSLC
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

VWVortex | Fourtitude | INR8 | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

Vehicles
      2003 vw gti vr6
      08-23-2010 10:59 PM #263
      Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
      About 25-25 years off & on... actually, I suppose i built my first fuzz-box when I was about 13 years old... I'm 46 this year, so maybe more like 32 years.

I'm also building a little 18-Watt Marshall clone, so I can get some crunchin' blues tone without killing the neighbours... that's why the Fender has got to go. It's just too loud! -It's a gorgeous amp when it's clean, and it breaks up nicely when it's SUPER loud, but I don't play very clean, and at the volume that it breaks up; the whole block can hear it!

Great studio amp, when 'death-by-decibel' can be held at bay by some heavy soundproof doors and airlocks, but useless for home use, unless you're a Nashville cat, or a keyboard player; in which case it's pretty good. -Time for it to find a new owner... (whoever buys it can be SURE that it's been very properly cared for, mind you!)

just bought my 6-year-old son his first guitar, and a little Fender amp too... but so far he's not showing any great fascination with it. -Oh well.

I'm a moderator over at the Prodigy Pro forums, which is mainly based around people building their own gear. There's a few guitar builders there too, -which reminds me, I put my own Strat-type guitar together, and that's my daily axe. -Just a plain-n-simple Strat.

I've got a 1-off custom bass (with a Kahler whangy-bar on it... -MADNESS!) and a few other bits and pieces, but I'm really more of an engineer (and car nut!) than I am a musician. -Over the years I've worked with guitarists who are so stratospherically good that I have no pretensions to EVER being any good, so I just noodle and doodle around, and concentrate on getting a nice tone.

I've built some custom microphones also, including a home made B-format microphone, rather like a SoundField mic. -Of course I also own a real SoundField mic too, which is what I use for most orchestral recordings which I do nowadays. I'd have to dig deep to find any pics of those though. -I used to own THREE SoundFields at one time, but sold two to fund the design and build of my home-grown version.

Keith
      pics of the bass with a kahler please!

i pretty much hate every bass player i've ever played with (for some reason they're all douches) but i will forgive any one of them if they play a bass with a kahler!

Vehicles
      08-24-2010 08:28 AM #264
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverSLC View Post
      DO WANT.
      Not that I have the cash for it, but after a lot of playing around trying to decide on "my" tube amp (or amps) I have decided that VOX is "it" for me, and I don't know that it gets better than a classic AC30. I have a Night Train right now, for the same reasons you mentioned - it's good to be able to play at less than deafening volumes.
      Well the Vox has to have the wick turned up a little bit in order to come fully "on-song", but they can also sound pretty sweet when they're at a lower level.

My '64 is one with the apparently rather rare 'square' logo... 'The Edge' has one too:

-Only mine is in WAY nicer shape than his!

I bought it when I was living in Liverpool, from my band's bass player's dad. (His dad was the keyboard player in a 1960's Liverpool band called "the Mojo's", who were contemporaries of the Beatles.) It was not working, but in beautiful condition; it had been sitting in the garage for twenty years. -I got it working and kept it ever since.

I'll take those, too. The Hobnobs, I mean. Those things are like crack. I got addicted when I lived in England, and I still miss them.
      No kidding!

We installed that large SSL console this year, and I know a couple of the guys at the factory over in Oxford. When the console was crated up and shipped over, the fella who does the 'trim & finish' inspection threw a load of Hobnobs in the crate, in a box with my name on it! (He'd been over here on a service visit the year before, so I took care of him,made him pots of tea, and had him bring over some HobNobs to go with it!)

Ok, have to admit that I am trying to pick out guitars and figure out who it is.
      Sadly, I can't divulge, but I can say that his home studio is absolutely world-class. Here's his machine room:

...And here's a typical English breakfast for me... with tea and HobNobs to follow!

-These days I still work with a number of musician/engineer/producers of a 'world-class' kind of stature... and for all the British ones, I make tea and put a plate of Hob-Nobs on the side. -You wouldn't BELIEVE how they appreciate it. -Even the people who maybe don't know me, make a point of finding out which "genius" brought the Hob-Nobs!

Seriously, if anyone reading this has never experienced Hob-Nobs, get yourself to your nearest English food store, and get you some.

Your mouth will thank you for the rest of your life!

Keith
      Last edited by VWAddict; 08-24-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Vehicles
      08-24-2010 08:52 AM #265
      Quote Originally Posted by raycer View Post
      pics of the bass with a kahler please!

i pretty much hate every bass player i've ever played with (for some reason they're all douches) but i will forgive any one of them if they play a bass with a kahler!
      Okay... will do when I get home tonight. It's a neck-through 'sandwich' construction, with alternating light & dark woods... VERY 1980's!

It was built for me by Les Evans, a luthier from the Northwest area... I traded some money and a 1982 cherry sunburst Ibanez Ar300 for it... Though nowadays, I really wish I'd kept hold of the AR300...

Keith

Vehicles
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze
      08-24-2010 08:59 AM #266
      Very cool gear, even though I don't know what most of that electronic stuff does. Your job must be pretty cool, too.

Would you, or anyone, mind recommending a tube amp that I can get for less than $100? I figure you guys are definately the ones to ask.
      Kegels - Team MLP

Vehicles
      08-24-2010 09:47 AM #267
      Problem with Tube amps is that they need BIG transformers... tubes simply don't do squat without some HEAVY copper-and-iron transformers, otherwise they're just for marketing purposes.

I'd say for that budget, -If it's for practice at home- go on Craigslist and get a Vox AD-15. If you wait around you should be able to find one for about $75 or so... they're a great amp for playing at not-killer volumes, and they don't fizz, buzz and spit like the Line-6 do (I own a couple of vox's and a line-six... trust me, if you want gentler tube distortion, the vox is a GREAT buy!).

If you're looking for great tone to record with or get LOUD, that budget isn't really feasible. It'd be a bit like trying to get a great, fast, reliable, fairly new car for $500...

I build microphones too, as a hobby. -Here's some pix of a couple of home-built jobs:

My first effort at a mic... the body was the hard part, so I used a brass handrail. -Brass is easy metal to drill, file and shape...

...I dont' have any 'completed' shots with me of that one... I'll have to search a bit.

But here's my second attempt:

Partially-assembled circuit boards, next to the design layout sheets:

Adding the board-standoffs:

Assembling the boards onto the standoffs:

...Another view:

Side view... with the connector & wiring added:

Same thing from underneath:

Into the case... I used a cheap Chinese ribbon mic case, because it had plenty of space inside... I designed the boards and everything else to fit inside it:

Connector mounted on the bottom of the case:

Capsule mount added to the top (TRIPLE-deck assembly!):

Capsule array (Re-skinned Neumann U87 capsules) added to the whole pile...

Then I stripped the blue paint from the case and gave it a brushed finish... you can see it int eh background here. In the foreground is the Mic power supply and B-format encoder array:

-Another view of the controller:

The Controller has four matched-gain Rupert-Neve-designed preamplifiers in it. It had to be a custom build to make sure that the gain stays perfectly matched across the full 72dB gain range...

This is the mic which I sold two of my SoundFields to fund its construction...

Here's a picture of when I owned THREE soundfields together:

I loves me some expensive microphones!

Right now I'm building a pair of Neumann U47 tube mic clones... using Equinox bodies. I already have the capsules and the tubes and power supplies... I just need the microphone bodies and signal output transformers, and then they're getting assembled!

http://equinoxsystems.net/products-p...ody-pre-order/

Keith

Vehicles
      08-25-2010 10:43 AM #268
      As promised.

I used to have thirteen guitars... I've got it down to just one 6-twanger and one 4-rumbler these days.

Here you go...

Both together:

The back of the bass:

The body from a different angle:

-A close up on the Kahler Trem... -I REALLY need to clean the dust off of that thing!

...and some tubes which arrived yesterday for my next build... (a truly EVIL amplifier!!!)

19. 08-28-2010 10:20 AM #269
      VWAddict you f_cken showoff, I love hobnobs!
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      Time to give up and buy a horse.

Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
      Vehicles
      1988 Porsche 928S4, 2001 Porsche Boxster S, 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4
      08-29-2010 05:22 PM #270
      way cool stuff. seriously.

that mic looks like a time bomb

WTF are HobNobs?
      Porsches are not built to be something for everyone, but rather everything for someone.

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      08-29-2010 07:04 PM #271
      HP Brown sauce is the shiz! I used to work across the cul de sac from a British imports warehouse. They had these monthly warehouse sales and would sell all sorts of HP sauces and cookies and beans and all sorts of stuff. Maybe they sell Hobnobs?

http://www.bwi-imports.com/
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      2001 GTI
      08-31-2010 04:37 PM #272
      I guess I will join in on the fun. I have some changes since I last posted pics.

Vehicles
      '80's import Homologation cars.
      09-06-2010 03:16 PM #273
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave928 View Post
      way cool stuff. seriously.

that mic looks like a time bomb

WTF are HobNobs?
      You should be able to get them at Safeway. (if you're still in Seattle) They are a cookie/biscuit of sorts, I'd reccommend the chocolate covered version if you're just starting out.
      If you have a 5 cylinder, you don't need a stereo.

Vehicles
      '80's import Homologation cars.
      09-06-2010 03:29 PM #274
      I really need to update my photos...

Coming soon?
      If you have a 5 cylinder, you don't need a stereo.

25. 09-08-2010 12:03 PM #275
      picked up a couple of new bits this weekend.

i was in dire-need of a monitor switcher - the talkback and headphone amp (4x) is simply a bonus.

The build quality is typical presonus - the small pots feel like they're made of hardened jello - like they could break off at any moment. Thankfully, all the small ones are secondary things that i'll rarely touch; the big-knob and the buttons feel great.

and i'm giving these yamahas' a shot. HS80M. They sound kinda honky... but if something sounds good on these, they'll pretty much translate anywhere. I dont have to like them for them to be effective, right?

29 more days to test drive them. temp placement - man, i gotta build a better desk....

Last edited by spoonie; 09-08-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast