Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 463 of 505 FirstFirst ... 363413453459460461462463464465466467473 ... LastLast
    Results 16,171 to 16,205 of 17658

Thread: Official NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD (v.2 clean)

1. 02-06-2012 09:17 PM #16171
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I have no idea what their facilities are like but the school is in an awesome location, has sick uniforms, and is in fertile recruiting territory. They should consistently be good.
      cant be that bad as they have what 2 NCs on basketball in the last 15-20 years

they can attract talent - problem is what you said originally - coaching
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

Vehicles
      a thumper and a diesel wagon...
      02-10-2012 09:20 AM #16172
      Quote Originally Posted by LinkATX View Post

BTW, anyone else notice the huge disparity between Rivals.com and ESPN's class rankings??? Dry humping the sh*t out of Florida State again this year. It is interesting that, much like the last Heisman race, ESPN obviously has their own favorites...
      ESPN is far more accurate, they rank based on the average rating of the recruit. Rivals is skewed because they put so much weight in the sheer number of players signed. As an example, Miami took a huge class, but a great majority is made of 3* type players that the bigger schools were not interested in.
      “Supermoto bikes exist so that 40 year old men who know better can act like total a--holes.”

"Crossfit is the meatspin.com of circuit training."

3. 02-10-2012 10:41 AM #16173
      Quote Originally Posted by ab8349 View Post
      ESPN is far more accurate, they rank based on the average rating of the recruit. Rivals is skewed because they put so much weight in the sheer number of players signed. As an example, Miami took a huge class, but a great majority is made of 3* type players that the bigger schools were not interested in.
      i put very little stock in these reports

they said Purdue's class of 2001 was one of the worst in the Big Ten just a couple of guys in that class
      Drew Brees
      Matt Light
      Boiler Up!

4. Member
      02-10-2012 12:45 PM #16174
      Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6 View Post
      i put very little stock in these reports

they said Purdue's class of 2001 was one of the worst in the Big Ten just a couple of guys in that class
      Drew Brees
      Matt Light
      I agree, Colt McCoy (no Drew Brees obviously) was a three star. With that said, the number of recruits in a class represents the depth, it is silly to not account for.
      Last edited by LinkATX; 02-10-2012 at 12:48 PM.
      Hook'em Horns

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      02-10-2012 08:08 PM #16175
      Stefon Diggs to Maryland... very excited.
      Take my fusion hybrid, please! Blue 2013 titanium package, goes to the first person that will take it for only what is owed. PM me if serious.

I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

6. Banner Advertiser Adam@CheckeredFlagVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta
      02-10-2012 09:37 PM #16176
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Stefon Diggs to Maryland... very excited.
      Good to see that kid stay home.....

Michigan got one of his good friends from the same school (Blake Countess) last year....was hoping Stefon may follow

Sent from my iPhone....Go Blue
      -Adam-U of M Tigers Wings Lions Seattle Supersonics
      1-800-277-2122 ext: 4788 or 757-687-3465
      Instagram: ADAM_MEYERS or Email Me: adam.meyers@checkeredflag.com

Vehicles
      02-10-2012 09:51 PM #16177
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam@CheckeredFlagVW View Post
      Good to see that kid stay home.....

Michigan got one of his good friends from the same school (Blake Countess) last year....was hoping Stefon may follow

Diggs best fried though, Wes Brown, already committed to MD, so did Good Counsel's good OT Mike Maderas.
      Take my fusion hybrid, please! Blue 2013 titanium package, goes to the first person that will take it for only what is owed. PM me if serious.

I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

8. Banner Advertiser Adam@CheckeredFlagVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta
      02-11-2012 11:09 PM #16178
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Diggs best fried though, Wes Brown, already committed to MD, so did Good Counsel's good OT Mike Maderas.
      Good for MD....I like to see kids stay in their home state

Vehicles
      2002 Elantra GT | 2005 Odyssey Touring
      02-13-2012 02:25 PM #16179
      Looks like C-USA and MWC merger is gonna be official.
      http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssport...32522/34822810
      Go Timbers! Timbers Army - RCTID!
      Go Ducks! WTD!
      COYS!
      Go Blazers! RIP CITY!
      Go tOSU!

02-13-2012 08:14 PM #16180
      Quote Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
      Looks like C-USA and MWC merger is gonna be official.
      http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssport...32522/34822810
      Now that we have 2 mid major coast-to-coast conferences (Big East, Mountain USA) and 1 de facto coast-to-coast mega conference thru "schedule alliance" (Pac12-Big10), can the madness of conference musical chair end already? It was kind of cute when Penn State joined the Big 10 in 1993* but on balance, everything that happened after that have not made the game of college football better.

* I consider that the first nonsensical geographic conference affiliation/change for money - an East coast team joining a Midwest conference. Although that seemed rather tame now in light of a conference that will include teams in San Diego, Tampa, and Connecticut. And another one that will have teams in Hawaii, Fresno, and Greenville, NC

11. 02-14-2012 03:28 PM #16181
      WVU's football schedule has been released.

It will host Oklahoma next November. I am in there like swimwear.
      NEW YORK KNICKS

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      02-14-2012 04:11 PM #16182
      Perhaps I can pull strings and do photography for (and travel with) UAB when they play away at Hawaii.
      Roll Tide & War Eagle but stuck in LSU Country
      UAB Blazer Basketball
      Saints - WHO DAT! ROAD WIN?!
      NOLA Pelicans
      Orioles - Thank You Showalter & all the O's!

13. Member
      02-14-2012 05:31 PM #16183
      Quote Originally Posted by Dreizehn View Post
      WVU's football schedule has been released.

It will host Oklahoma next November. I am in there like swimwear.
      Entire Big 12 schedule here: http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArtic...B_OEM_ID=10410

WVU coming to Austin, woot! Also I believe TCU will play UT on Thanksgiving
      Hook'em Horns

02-14-2012 07:14 PM #16184
      Entire Big 12 schedule here: http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArtic...B_OEM_ID=10410

WVU coming to Austin, woot! Also I believe TCU will play UT on Thanksgiving
      It will be like A&M who what?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      02-17-2012 04:50 PM #16185
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam@CheckeredFlagVW View Post
      Good for MD....I like to see kids stay in their home state
      It is nice to see a decent MD recruiting class and yes, it's even nicer when quality kids choose the "home" team for a change. I've watched blue chip b-ball and football players that grew up within ~20 miles of CP go elsewhere for 40 yrs now.
      However, things ain't so great in College Park. Edsall already replaced both coordinators, lost a bunch of guys that want to xfer out, esp QB O'Brien who is going to transfer. And a completely classless move to not allow O'Brien to transfer to Vandy where Franklin, the guy who recruited O'Brien to MD now coaches. It's not like the 2 teams will meet.
      As for Diggs, remember, he came to MD thinking a pro-style QB w/ experience would be on the roster. That's gone...
      And if Edsall doesn't produce next season, I'll bet he's gone too...
      (Hopefully the new AD will go right along with him)

Vehicles
      02-17-2012 08:00 PM #16186
      Edsall strikes me as the kind of guy that if you're not 'his' guy you will have problems. Everyone places the blame on Edsall for OBriens departure but I have to also imagine some of the blame lands at DOB's feet. Yeah, you had a ****ty season in a spread offense but you're going back to pro style which is your forte. Your receivers dropped WAY too many passes but you have a very solid recruiting class coming in that is offense heavy, good WR, good RB, good OLinemen. Given that if you still cut and run for a new unknown future and don't try to stick it out then I call you a quitter. Doesn't matter how much you dislike the new coach.

As for Edsall departing, it won't happen unless it's his own doing, the state cannot buy him out of his 6 year contract, of which 4 would still be left at $2m each. If he keeps getting good recruits to come in and the Friedgen players are all worked out of the season he will have a much different looking team. Part of what I see as the problem is the friction between fatty's lazy system and Edasll's tight ship. Of course fatty's players don't like having the whip cracked but they needed it.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      02-18-2012 10:38 AM #16187
      Edsall put the qb departure wheels in motion when he told the Post, "Maybe I didn't do a good enough job of minimizing expectations for him." That quote came after the first benching. IMO, Edsall was to quick to pull the trigger on a kid who was the ACC rookie of the year. To make a QB switch to another kid who's got no experience and runs a 180 degree different offense is a high risk situation.

"Fatty" won 9 games in his last season, the "tight ship" won 2 with the same group. Not sure why you call it a lazy system...it produced the most success of any coach since before the dark days. And fatty would have never lost the Clemson and NCSt games. Those might be 2 of the biggest "chokes" in MD football history.

Vehicles
      02-18-2012 11:52 AM #16188
      Who knows what fatty would have done with the same crew that Edsall had to work with, my guess is it would have resembled 2009 when fatty was 2-10.

As for lazy what I mean by that is I have watched year after year of MD hold close in games only to die at the end. Edsall was right when he commented the players were not athletic enough. Yeah fatty had some good seasons and wins along the way but it overall has been mediocre since 2004, 44-42. At least I was able to see the good years when I was there from 2001-2003.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      A3 Pilot S2K
      02-18-2012 02:05 PM #16189
      Time will tell what edsall can do...fatty went 75-50 and 5-2 in bowls...so edsall's got some catching up to do. His attitude hasn't impressed me any though. His game management skills aren't much to brag about either.
      Last edited by tbvvw; 02-18-2012 at 02:10 PM.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      02-24-2012 04:02 PM #16190
      Wow, the NCAA rule changes, kickoff changes :

Quote Originally Posted by NCAA
      Playing Rules Oversight Panel approves rules changes in football, other sports
      By Greg Johnson
      NCAA.org

The Playing Rules Oversight Panel (PROP) during its conference call on Tuesday approved moving the kickoff and touchback lines beginning with the 2012 football season.

Next fall, teams will kick off at the 35-yard line instead of the 30. Also, players on the kicking team can’t line up for the play behind the 30-yard line, which is intended to limit the running start kicking teams used to have during the play.

Also, touchbacks on free kicks will be moved to the 25-yard line instead of the 20 to encourage more touchbacks. Touchbacks on other plays (for example, punts that go into the end zone, or fumbles that go out of the end zone) will remain at the 20-yard line.

The recommended changes came from the Football Rules Committee after that group examined NCAA data showing that injuries during kickoffs occur more often than in other phases of the game.

Another new rule that goes into effect next season is if a player loses his helmet (other than as the result of a foul by the opponent, such as a facemask), it will be treated like an injury. The player must leave the game and is not allowed to participate for the next play.

Current injury timeout rules guard against using this rule to gain an advantage from stopping the clock. Additionally, if a player loses his helmet, he must not continue to participate in the play, in order to protect him from injury.

Data from the 2011 season indicated that helmets came off of players more than twice per game.

The rules panel also approved new wording in the football rules book regarding blocking below the waist. Offensive players in the tackle box at the snap who are not in motion are allowed to block below the waist legally without restriction. All other players are restricted from blocking below the waist with a few exceptions (for example, straight-ahead blocks).

There will also be a new rule prohibiting players from leaping over blockers in an attempt to block a punt. Receiving-team players trying to jump over a shield-blocking scheme has become popular for teams in punt formation. Receiving-team players try to defeat this scheme by rushing into the backfield to block a punt. In some cases, these players are contacted and end up flipping in the air and landing on their head or shoulders.

The Football Rules Committee raised concern about this type of action and proposed a rule similar to the leaping rule on place kicks that does not allow the receiving team to jump over blockers, unless the player jumps straight up or between two players.
      Even worse... BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NCAA
      Women’s bowling

In bowling, PROP approved a new rule that states the bottom half of the player uniform shall have at least a four-inch inseam.

The uniform bottoms should fit loosely at the opening above the knee. Loose-fitting shirts are to be tucked into the lower body garment or folded. Form-fitting shirts may be worn, but at no time should a student-athlete show a bare abdomen or midriff, including during the completion of a shot.
      UAB Blazer Basketball
      NOLA Pelicans

21. Member
      02-25-2012 03:20 PM #16191
      Quote Originally Posted by KrautFed View Post
      Additionally, if a player loses his helmet, he must not continue to participate in the play, in order to protect him from injury.
      Wait, is this new? If a runner loses his helmet, the play is over? If a player continues to participate, can they be penalized?
      Hook'em Horns

22. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      02-25-2012 09:00 PM #16192
      Wait, is this new? If a runner loses his helmet, the play is over? If a player continues to participate, can they be penalized?
      Play not over, but player can not participate. It's not really that big of a deal, it's similar to a receiver going out of bounds.
      UAB Blazer Basketball
      NOLA Pelicans

23. Banner Advertiser Adam@CheckeredFlagVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta
      03-20-2012 01:06 PM #16193
      spring practice has begun

Vehicles
      01 GLS / 08 Rabbit / 89 Coupe
      04-10-2012 02:51 PM #16194

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      04-10-2012 03:34 PM #16195
      ^ I'm really interested to see if Petrino stays if he can survive his wife.
      UAB Blazer Basketball
      NOLA Pelicans

26. 04-10-2012 03:39 PM #16196
      personally i think the petrino thing is a bit overblown - but arkansas can fire him.

I'll gladly take him over Danny hope
      Boiler Up!

27. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      04-10-2012 04:07 PM #16197
      Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6 View Post
      personally i think the petrino thing is a bit overblown - but arkansas can fire him.
      If the rumors and what not are true, there are some very strong issues which include but are not limited to truthfulness (with the AD/Boss!), slander of school reputation/morals, infidelity, relations with another program employee, etc. This is sort of like the Sean Peyton issue... the reasoning for firing is there, but the clause is "can lead up to termination".
      UAB Blazer Basketball
      NOLA Pelicans

28. Member BlckBadged_SwissChee's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta WE
      04-10-2012 05:28 PM #16198
      Quote Originally Posted by KrautFed View Post
      If the rumors and what not are true, there are some very strong issues which include but are not limited to truthfulness (with the AD/Boss!), slander of school reputation/morals, infidelity, relations with another program employee, etc. This is sort of like the Sean Peyton issue... the reasoning for firing is there, but the clause is "can lead up to termination".
      Though I can understand these comments, it isn't like he was banging this chick in an Arkansas football uniform on the 50 yard line. I personally could give a **** if he was getting some young trim on the side. The bigger concern should be employment ethics with her being an employee or assistant or whatever. Conflict of interest there. I wonder how many people would protest their grocery store manager still being employed if they cheated on their spouse. I sometimes feel sorry for celebs. Obviously they signed up for it, but people get so hypocritically holier than though over this stuff.
      Th(e/a)n

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-10-2012 05:50 PM #16199
      I think the problem is that Petrino has a history of dishonesty and lied to the administration about what was going on. The coverup is always a bigger deal than the crime.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      04-10-2012 09:13 PM #16200
      ...and bingo

EDIT: forgot the good stuff...

Last edited by KrautFed; 04-10-2012 at 09:54 PM.
      UAB Blazer Basketball
      NOLA Pelicans

31. 04-10-2012 10:05 PM #16201
      hey Purdue

a guy who knows how to run an offense is now available!!!!!
      Boiler Up!

Vehicles
      01 GLS / 08 Rabbit / 89 Coupe
      04-11-2012 12:10 AM #16202
      awaiting epic LSUfreak gif

33. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      04-11-2012 09:18 AM #16203
      I know a lot of people here don't follow SEC closely let alone football in Alabama, but UA and the Bama board of trustees has been notorious for blocking big name coaches from coming to UAB. I heard Arkansas will pursue their former OC, Garrick McGhee, who just started as the HC at UAB. Now the tables have turned for the trustees and it'll be interesting to see if UA protects their coach in the system who may go directly to a SEC West rival.
      UAB Blazer Basketball
      NOLA Pelicans

34. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      04-11-2012 06:26 PM #16204
      Quote Originally Posted by jaysvw View Post
      awaiting epic LSUfreak gif
      meh, not so epic... he's usually better.

UAB Blazer Basketball
      NOLA Pelicans

Vehicles
      Segway turbo
      04-12-2012 07:47 PM #16205
      Wonderlic rant, LSU style... scoring a 4?

-Wes

Page 463 of 505 FirstFirst ... 363413453459460461462463464465466467473 ... LastLast