Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 464 of 504 FirstFirst ... 364414454460461462463464465466467468474 ... LastLast
    Results 16,206 to 16,240 of 17606

Thread: Official NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD (v.2 clean)

Vehicles
      MKVI Jetta TDi 6 spd
      04-13-2012 09:41 AM #16206
      Jessica Dorrell, Bobby Petrino's mistress was offered a first class ticket out of Fayettville. She declinded emphatically, saying she preferred to ride COACH.

Sorry, as a resident in Arkansas, we can also find humor in our collegiate screwups.
      XBOX g/t: DrkCrnrMcDougal
      PS3 g/t: BigJayRitch
      Watch me Livestream at www.Twitch.TV/BigJRitch

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      04-13-2012 01:47 PM #16207
      What are you doing before getting selected in the 1st round of the NFL draft?

Trent Richardson grants Hueytown senior's prom wish

On the surface, 17-year-old Courtney Alvis looks like your everyday teenager. She's two days shy of her senior prom and testing a new do at the salon. But getting to this point hasn't been easy.

"I have heard of leukemia but I wanted to make sure that was cancer. So I was like, "Are you telling me I have cancer?' and he was like, "It could be cancer,'" she said.

And it was. At just 16-years-old and a junior at Hueytown High School, Courtney's life drastically changed.

"I couldn't drive. I couldn't go to school or even go to the mall or out to eat because of germs," she said.

And her junior prom? Her doctor said she could go but with a few more accessories than the norm.

"I would have to wear a mask and rubber gloves and not touch anybody and that wasn't for me."

After a year filled with chemo treatments, the loss of her hair, and getting back to a healthy bounce, she's determined to make it to her senior prom. But not without some apprehension.

"I wasn't comfortable with my body and of course I didn't have long pretty hair to fix and also I didn't have a date."

That's until her uncle, who has some Alabama connections, spread the word. That word got to Trent Richardson.

"I'm really excited but I'm also nervous. I've watched Trent all the time on TV, and he's going to be coming to prom with me."

The hair and the gown and of course, the hunky date are making Courtney's mom, Stephanie, smile. But it's the glimpse of freedom for her daughter that means the most.

"She's walking without a walker right now and she's planning on dancing Saturday night. You can't get any better than that."
      Roll Tide & War Eagle but stuck in LSU Country
      UAB Blazer Basketball
      Saints - WHO DAT! ROAD WIN?!
      NOLA Pelicans
      Orioles - Thank You Showalter & all the O's!

3. Banner Advertiser Adam@CheckeredFlagVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta
      04-13-2012 02:35 PM #16208
      Quote Originally Posted by KrautFed View Post
      What are you doing before getting selected in the 1st round of the NFL draft?
      thats pretty great
      -Adam-U of M Tigers Wings Lions Seattle Sounders Seattle Supersonics
      1-800-277-2122 ext: 4788 or 757-687-3465
      Instagram: ADAM_MEYERS or Email Me: adam.meyers@checkeredflag.com

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2.7 S4
      04-13-2012 03:49 PM #16209
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam@CheckeredFlagVW View Post
      thats pretty great
      x2

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      04-16-2012 01:58 PM #16210
      In case you missed the story on ESPN:

UAB Blazer Basketball
      NOLA Pelicans

6. 04-16-2012 04:10 PM #16211
      In case you missed the story on ESPN:

Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      04-16-2012 07:01 PM #16212
      Trent seems like a good dude, I'm still bitter he didn't go to UF though.
      PSN: PhilipGTI
      Quote Originally Posted by joness0154 View Post
      If your ass looks like a Jeep after playing off-road, I don't know what to say. Change up your diet, maybe?

8. Member
      04-16-2012 07:31 PM #16213
      The local ESPN affiliate here in Austin was talking about this today. Bravo Trent!
      Hook'em Horns

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      04-16-2012 10:11 PM #16214
      And in other news

Alabama's 2011 BCS trophy shattered during A-Day weekend festivities

Alabama's 2011 BCS championship trophy -- the exact one Nick Saban and Crimson Tide players lifted above their heads after their 21-0 victory over LSU -- shattered into thousands of tiny pieces Saturday, the result of what Crimson Tide officials are dubbing an unfortunate accident.

Associate Athletics Director for Football Communications Jeff Purinton said a parent of a current Crimson Tide player accidentally knocked over the crystal football, which was on display after Saturday's A-Day game inside the Mal Moore Athletic Facility. Purinton declined to disclose who sent the football tumbling from its perch.
      Purinton said Alabama is in the initial stages of figuring out how to replace the trophy, which is made entirely of Waterford Crystal and is valued at $30,000.
      Alabama fans received opportunities to pose next to the trophy throughout the offseason at various sites across the state. Before Saturday's scrimmage, hundreds of fans had their pictures snapped with it under a canopy outside Gate 5 of Bryant-Denny Stadium.
      This isn't the first time a school has been forced to replace its championship trophy.
      Former Georgia tight end Orson Charles accidentally knocked over Florida's 2008 championship trophy during a recruiting visit. In 2004, Florida State had two of its championship trophies, each valued at $30,000, stolen from a locked case.

UAB Blazer Basketball
      NOLA Pelicans

10. Banner Advertiser Adam@CheckeredFlagVW's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta
      04-17-2012 09:14 AM #16215
      ^^ oooopsss
      -Adam-U of M Tigers Wings Lions Seattle Sounders Seattle Supersonics
      1-800-277-2122 ext: 4788 or 757-687-3465
      Instagram: ADAM_MEYERS or Email Me: adam.meyers@checkeredflag.com

11. 04-17-2012 10:35 AM #16216

makes you wonder if they will opt for a "safer" trophy in the future
      Boiler Up!

12. Banned
      Vehicles
      no dubs :(
      04-17-2012 10:46 AM #16217
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Trent seems like a good dude, I'm still bitter he didn't go to UF though.
      was UF high on his list? woulda been epic.

as for BCS trophy, no need to make it "safer" it's been safely held by the SEC for, what almost the entire past decade?

13. Member
      04-17-2012 02:09 PM #16218
      The Aggies are out to make a good first impression in the SEC with new shirts! Just two problems...

They are going to fit right in...
      Hook'em Horns

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      04-17-2012 03:26 PM #16219
      Quote Originally Posted by LinkATX View Post
      The Aggies are out to make a good first impression in the SEC with new shirts! Just two problems...

Texas is on the back of that shirt. NC is still a problem though.
      UAB Blazer Basketball
      NOLA Pelicans

15. 04-17-2012 03:33 PM #16220

Boiler Up!

16. Member
      04-17-2012 06:07 PM #16221
      Texas is on the back of that shirt. NC is still a problem though.
      Also missing... Missouri!
      Hook'em Horns

Vehicles
      2011 VW CC
      04-21-2012 01:59 PM #16222
      Spring game had me kinda hyped but now I have to wait until fall.

Kiehl Frazier is going to open some eyes out there.

Vehicles
      01 GLS / 08 Rabbit / 89 Coupe
      04-25-2012 01:41 PM #16223
      Not sure if Arkansas serious?

Vehicles
      MKVI Jetta TDi 6 spd
      04-25-2012 05:18 PM #16224
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      Spring game had me kinda hyped but now I have to wait until fall.

Kiehl Frazier is going to open some eyes out there.
      I watched Kiehl numerous times when he played quarterback at Shiloh Christian. Props for Gus Malazahn stealing him away from Arkansas, to Auburn, then Gus bails.
      XBOX g/t: DrkCrnrMcDougal
      PS3 g/t: BigJayRitch
      Watch me Livestream at www.Twitch.TV/BigJRitch

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Cabrio
      04-25-2012 06:06 PM #16225
      Quote Originally Posted by VWBoraDriver View Post
      I watched Kiehl numerous times when he played quarterback at Shiloh Christian. Props for Gus Malazahn stealing him away from Arkansas, to Auburn, then Gus bails.
      Whoa, first negative thing I've heard about Malzahn (except coming from Bama fans).
      UAB Blazer Basketball
      NOLA Pelicans

04-27-2012 05:26 PM #16226
      Now that we are going to get a 4 team playoff, I have some thoughts on eligibility of the 4 teams...

1. Conference champ only? No... I know this will please the SEC contingent here but I actually think that winning the conference is not a necessary requirement because **** happens. If you have 4 conferences full of duds (like last year when only SEC, Pac12, and Big12 had "playoff worthy" teams), it limits the field too much with the conference champ requirement. We may end up with a mediocre ACC or Big East champ instead of a 1-loss powerhouse SEC or Pac12 team. That's not what we want to see. Which leads me to #2...

2. How about we make winning a division a requirement? This preserves the idea that you need to "take care of business" during the regular season. If you can't even win your division, you have no business playing for the national champ (yes, that would mean Alabama will be left out last year, a scenario I'm perfectly happy to accept, based on the evidence the title game absolutely sucked). However, if we impose the division champ rule, it will mean...

3. All conferences should be required to split into divisions and play a title game. Crown your conference champ on the field. I actually think this will happen anyway without any rules with Big East close to reaching 12 teams and Mountain-USA amalgamation. Sunbelt and WAC can similarly form a football only alliance and play an extra game.

4. What about conferences playing different number of games? Let's fix that too. Pac12, Big12, and Big Ten want to play 9 game conference schedule. Personally, I think that's ok if only SEC does the same. But we all know that ain't happening so let's mandate each conference MUST play 8 conference games (4 home and 4 away... no exceptions!). The remaining 4 games are reserve for non-conference play - but (and this is important) at least 1 of those non-conference game must be away game at another FBS school. And if you schedule a FCS home game, you must play 2 FBS away games. Now, we can't stop SEC teams from beating up on Troy or UAB but I think overall, this sort of scheduling requirements will even the field a bit.

5. So what about teams not in a conference? They can't win a "division" (see #2 above) so they can't qualify for playoffs. We have to come up with an "equivalent" litmus test. Here is how to do it - Notre Dame and BYU (let's not beat around the bush) have to play a competitive schedule. If they want to be in the final 4, their strength of schedule cannot be lower than the weakest strength of schedule of any teams ranked in the top 10. Yes, it is somewhat arbitrary but these schools chose not to be in a conference in an arbitrary decision so if they want the "normal" rules, they can join a conference.

Anyway, this is just something I've been thinking about in terms of eligibility to participate in the final 4 playoff. Now, I don't want to go into on how the rankings or polls should be administered but I'm sure you'll find no shortage of opinion on the internet.

22. 04-29-2012 12:04 AM #16227
      We agree on most here.

Honestly - im torn on the conference winner part. If they would do a proper 8 team playoff then it is no big deal.

This really would have helped in 2006 when you had Michigan and Ohio state with USC and Florida.

Do you rank them based on BCS # and 1 v 4 and 2 v 3?

I would have to say that if there were 5 teams (which i do not think this has been a problem but it could be) and 4 are conf winners and the other is like last years Alabama - how do you pick Bama over the conf winners?

And if you do then you basically are going to force a 6 or 8 school playoff.

Like you said everyone has an opinion.

Personally id go with a 6 school. Rank an overall strength for the 6 power conferences. Top 4 conferences get the auto bids. The last 2 spots would be determined by the BCS formula. That way the Big East does not get an auto bid for being bad but if 3 or 4 schools became elite the winner would get their shot.

It is nice to see the Rose Bowl P12 and B1G are not standing in the way this time
      Boiler Up!

04-30-2012 02:07 PM #16228
      The reason I didn't want to go into how the rankings will be determined is because it is a different question than eligibility. My post only concern eligibility... the BCS formula is a mess and it will have to be reformed as well.

I think the bare minimum would be that coaches poll need to be eliminated from BCS formula. You can't have self-interested parties voting on something that determines a playoff. The second most obvious change that needs to happen is that the computer rankings need to be transparent (so mistakes can be spotted), and needs to be statistically meaningful (so margin of victory HAS to be part of the formula). The secret computer rankings has no place in the revised BCS formula.

05-04-2012 08:08 PM #16229
      RIP WAC football...

Who knew Nebraska moving to Big 10 and Texas getting its own cable network will result in WAC death.

25. Member
      05-07-2012 12:25 PM #16230
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      RIP WAC football...

Who knew Nebraska moving to Big 10 and Texas getting its own cable network will result in WAC death.
      *needs citation

It's sad that the the WAC may only continue for Olympic sports but the second part of your post is a stretch at best.
      Hook'em Horns

05-07-2012 03:07 PM #16231
      *needs citation

It's sad that the the WAC may only continue for Olympic sports but the second part of your post is a stretch at best.
      Oh please... if you need citation for that, you haven't been paying attention the last 18 months

27. Member
      05-07-2012 06:28 PM #16232
      Ha, OK. If you believe that it was only the last 18 months that had anything to do with the WAC failing, well I guess we can end the conversation. FWIW, the WAC's fall started in the late 70's when both Arizona schools left for the new PAC-10. That's when they lost their major bowl tie, the Fiesta. Conference membership changes are not a new trend, the money tied to the auto-bids and bowl affiliations are. I suppose you could point the finger at Jim Delaney; I just have a hard time blaming someone for doing their job by acting proactively to protect the viability of their conference when the writing has been on the wall since the birth of the BCS.

I'd love to hear your argument that supports your original statement though...
      Hook'em Horns

05-07-2012 07:26 PM #16233
      Ha, OK. If you believe that it was only the last 18 months that had anything to do with the WAC failing, well I guess we can end the conversation. FWIW, the WAC's fall started in the late 70's when both Arizona schools left for the new PAC-10. That's when they lost their major bowl tie, the Fiesta. Conference membership changes are not a new trend, the money tied to the auto-bids and bowl affiliations are. I suppose you could point the finger at Jim Delaney; I just have a hard time blaming someone for doing their job by acting proactively to protect the viability of their conference when the writing has been on the wall since the birth of the BCS.

I'd love to hear your argument that supports your original statement though...
      WAC's 1970s salad days has nothing to do with WAC in the 2010s. And no, Arizona schools leaving WAC for PAC10 didn't really fatally injure WAC. They still had Holiday Bowl, which was way bigger deal than Fiesta Bowl back then. The Arizona schools move did set in motion the domino that eventually killed Big West Football. The parallels are uncanny to the latest round of conference musical chairs.

The latest round of conference realignment started with Nebraska leaving the Big 12. I like to hear you debate that was not the domino that start it all this time around. But the domino wouldn't have fell all the way down to FCS leagues had Texas not decide to move ahead with the Longhorn Network. I'm not saying these are bad things... or pointing fingers. I'm just saying that these 2 events lead to the demise of WAC football.

29. Member
      05-07-2012 08:06 PM #16234
      I agree with most of your post, but still feel the WAC (along with most of the other "have not" conferences) were doomed from the inception of the BCS. They over expanded in response and had schools with relatively small budgets traveling thousands of miles to play. Yes, this round of expansion was started with Nebraska and fueled by the LHN like you stated. I felt like your initial post was a bit short sighted is all (in wording).
      Last edited by LinkATX; 05-07-2012 at 10:53 PM.
      Hook'em Horns

30. Member
      05-10-2012 04:00 PM #16235
      I bet Landry Jones is regretting not entering the draft after this...
      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...f=twitter_feed

If these guys don't return, I believe that will leave Jones one receiver that has recorded a catch previously!
      Hook'em Horns

05-11-2012 06:58 PM #16236

32. 05-12-2012 03:52 PM #16237
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Boiler Up!

33. Member
      05-14-2012 04:03 PM #16238
      MORE realignment?!?!?

Florida State's President makes a statement:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...2_a7&eref=sihp
      Hook'em Horns

05-14-2012 05:38 PM #16239
      You know the collective alumni/booster community has completely lost its head and common sense when the President of an University has to write a letter like that. Even for Free Shoe University, this is a new low.

And what happened to the gentleman's agreement to never take an academic pot shot at another conference? It's ironic to hear FSU making a fuss about the inferior academics of Big 12. They certainly did their part to lower the academic perception of ACC.

35. Member
      05-19-2012 11:35 AM #16240
      There are so many implications from this. College football be a changing'!
      http://m.si.com/news/cfb_sp/to_cfb_s...detail/4956775
      Hook'em Horns

Page 464 of 504 FirstFirst ... 364414454460461462463464465466467468474 ... LastLast