VWVortex.com - Damaged Front Bumper / Fascia from Parking Curb
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Damaged Front Bumper / Fascia from Parking Curb

1. 11-12-2007 10:40 PM #1
      Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this... when parking our new R32 today my wife drove over a parking curb. When she reversed the car the curb caught the edge of the front fascia of the car and nearly tore the entire thing off. It's detached on both sides, badly damaged underneath.
      Obviously she made a mistake driving over the curb, but it's surprising so much damage could occur from this.
      I know Audi had a similar problem on the C5 A6 and eventually had a recall over it.
      Just curious if anyone else has had this issue. Thanks.

Vehicles
      2015 LSG Golf R
      11-12-2007 10:57 PM #2
      I did the same thing with my BMW 3 series. Now I always keep plenty of distance, it really sucks. You won't do it again, once is enough.

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 [TR #2392]
      11-12-2007 11:15 PM #3
      Think of it as popping the top to a bottle of beer. It's on there damn good, till you get under that lip and pry it off.
      Same principle. S'ok I saw a guy completely rip off his front bumper before stopping, so it happens to anything that happens to get the lip over the curb.

4. 11-13-2007 12:18 AM #4
      Over here there are bump stops for the wheels (basically, two concrete blocks), so you know when you're all the way into the parking space. However, sometimes they are so high, even the back bumper of the R can catch. I nearly had a coronary the first time I saw how close I was to hitting the underside of the back bumper. They don't extend them wider than the car, so you have to remember the approximate position to stop in time. Gives me the RAGE!

Modified by Tokyo Dub at 2:19 PM 11-13-2007

5. 11-13-2007 12:23 AM #5
      Wow, that's a bummer. Sorry to hear about it; I hope it's not too expensive.
      I get a lot of chin scrapage coming out of my garage so you do have to be a bit careful since the car is a bit low and definitely lower than most factory cars.

6. 11-13-2007 12:27 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by manys »
      I get a lot of chin scrapage coming out of my garage so you do have to be a bit careful since the car is a bit low and definitely lower than most factory cars.

me too, it sucks but at the same time I've come to terms that it's nearly unavoidable (at least with my driveway) and have learned to deal with it. One day, when it's really bad and my bumper is all chipped and messed up, I'll get a brand new bumper and start all over again

7. 11-13-2007 09:28 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by seanka »
      Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this... when parking our new R32 today my wife drove over a parking curb. When she reversed the car the curb caught the edge of the front fascia of the car and nearly tore the entire thing off. It's detached on both sides, badly damaged underneath.
      Obviously she made a mistake driving over the curb, but it's surprising so much damage could occur from this.
      I know Audi had a similar problem on the C5 A6 and eventually had a recall over it.
      Just curious if anyone else has had this issue. Thanks.

...it wasn't a recall - it was a TSB IIRC.
      That said, the A6 was an easy fix - making sure that the "skid plate" fit over the bumper so that the parking block had nothing to catch on. This didn't keep your bumper from getting scratched but it did keep it from being pulled off as you backed out of the space.
      Should you find yourself in this situation, then the only solution is to find a couple of strong guys to lift your car by the fron wheel wells a tad while you slowly back out.
      It is odd how so many of us want to lower our cars - forgetting about curbs and parking blocks - when our cars are obviously too low for US roads already...

8. 11-13-2007 10:12 AM #8
      Welcome to having a performance car. Be careful with the front air dam. Its low to the ground.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R DBM
      11-13-2007 10:28 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by WakeHead »
      Welcome to having a performance car. Be careful with the front air dam. Its low to the ground.

The bottom of my MK IV Rs bumper is beat-up pretty badly from just the
      normal roads around where i live.
      I'd love to drop the car on the OEM Euro springs, but to do so would only
      invite worse damage
      I haven't seen the bottom of the MK Vs in too much detail, but on the MK IVs
      there is a plastic "skid-plate" panel that will tear right off if you back the
      car up in reverse through fairly heavy snow.
      --Chuck--

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32
      11-13-2007 11:43 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by speedbump2 »
      I haven't seen the bottom of the MK Vs in too much detail, but on the MK IVs there is a plastic "skid-plate" panel that will tear right off if you back the car up in reverse through fairly heavy snow.

There is one on the MKV, thanks for the heads up.
      Andreas

11. 11-13-2007 10:11 PM #11
      I did the same thing to mine the 2nd day I had it Not as bad as yours, though. I, too have learned how to park the R. Anyway, sorry for your booboo....tomorrow's another day

12. 11-15-2007 11:02 AM #12
      Thanks to everyone for responding. I’m posting the following for anyone to whom this happens in the future.
      Things turned out better than I thought it would.
      We took the car to a body shop that does a lot of BMW, Audi, VW, Mercedes work (they have done excellent work for me in the past). They gave me an estimate of $700-$800 to repair, consisting of a new bumper cover + paint, plus a new fender lining (got cracked somehow). After explaining they’d need to order the parts, etc., they offered to do a temporary repair by re-attaching the bumper cover.
      They spent about 30 minutes reattaching it… the main problem was one of the fastening points was broken. In any case, after they completed it… it looked perfect. Even they were surprised. We agreed it appeared secure and other than scratches underneath, it looked good as new. I decided based on that to leave it as is. I asked what I owed them for their time and they said “no charge.”
      Kudos to Mile One Collisionworks in Silver Spring, MD. I recommend them to anyone in the Maryland / DC area looking for a body shop. Rare to see great customer service and professionalism these days.
      Obviously, moral of the story is watch out for curbs, but damage looked worse than it actually was.

13. 11-15-2007 11:16 AM #13
      ....on the Audi it would normally do some damage to the fenders too...

14. 11-15-2007 09:32 PM #14
      Thank God my wife doesn't drive our A-6

For advertising information click HERE