Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2002 Jetta 1.8T 5spd, DTC Code P0171 - Check Engine Light on

1. 11-26-2007 08:28 PM #1
      Hi
      2 things with my Car, 66,000 miles, Check Engine Light on - brought to Autozone, Code p0171.

* P0171 Fuel Trim, Bank1 System too Lean (vacuum leak, possible bad MAF), Removed MAF and Cleaned - Removed Battery cable to reset Computer.
      Check Engine light went away for like 3 days and now back on. Did not find a Vacuum leak also.
      I also get like 26 MPG - I drive it very easy - stay out of the Turbo ( Like 2200 - 2300 RPM ), is this the mileage I can expect, I bought the car about 3 months ago now.
      Looking for an Excellent VW Mechanic/ Shop in the Trumbull, Connecticut area too.
      Any advise would be much appreciated.
      Timmy from Connecticut

Vehicles
      02 GTI 1.8t
      11-26-2007 10:59 PM #2
      look under the intake manifold at the breather lines that go from the block to the right of the manifold then to the valve cover and intake. If any are cracked (or have oil residue) replace them. Common issue on 1.8t
      the car is on an inclined driveway and up on jack stands in the front only
      02 GTI 1.8t:> 42DD 3" turboback, BFI full stg1 mount kit, Evoms CAI, Forge boost hoses, Tacotaco sidemount, Ebay TIP, IE 2.0 coil conversion, IE manual tensioner, 20th front brake conversion, IE emissions delete, 42dd catch can, Koni STR.t & WRD sport springs, Samco Coolant hoses, SMF vr6 clutch kit.

3. 11-29-2007 07:55 PM #3
      Quick question concerning this...I just bought a 05 GLI and it threw this code today, the P0171. I am not too familiar with the 1.8T engine, but the guy I bought it from said that one of the O2 sensors had been removed. Would that have anything to do with it throwing this code?

It's removed because of the aftermarket downpipe installed.

Just wondering b/c he said that it would thrown misc. CELs due to the O2 being removed, I just wanted to make sure that this was causing this CEL.

Thanks for any help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post

...We don't run a business where we inspect damaged ECU's, completely destroy them, and/or whatever you were saying about your penis.