Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2 CD's stuck in dashboard player

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Luxury
      11-28-2007 06:56 PM #1
      A friend of mine who also has a 2008 T2 accidentally stuck a second CD into the CD slot in the dashboard. It actually still plays the first CD (underneath the second) but when he tries to eject, it makes a mechanical noise and nothing comes out.

Anything you recommend before heading back to the dealership?

Thanks!

PaulQ

2010 Volkswagen CC Luxury, DSG Transmission, Technology & Appearance Packages
      ...formerly 2008 Touareg 2

Vehicles
      2006 touareg V10 / 2010 Msport 535Xi wagon
      11-28-2007 07:13 PM #2
      Smack your friend upside the head!!!! then head to the dealer.

Linder

3. 11-28-2007 07:46 PM #3
      Yea we heard that one before it was my friend.Come on Paul it was you

Vehicles
      09 A4 Avant
      11-28-2007 07:57 PM #4
      I am curious to hear how your "friend" was able to pull this off.....

Vehicles
      2010 VW CC Luxury
      11-28-2007 08:08 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by miraclewhips »
      I am curious to hear how your "friend" was able to pull this off.....

From what I remember.... I mean, from what he remembers... he hadn't used the dash player since he got the truck three months ago. After having it in and out of the dealer's shop as recently as last Monday, he was finally relaxed in his Touareg.

He had a CD sitting on his kitchen counter and just grabbed it on his way out. He looked at the dash and wasn't sure if he should just stick the CD in or if there was some kind of whacky VW way to do it.

He put the CD in the slot and pushed on it, it didn't take. He pushed that button on the right of the slot and then pushed the CD in. He had to push it pretty far before it was sucked in.

He pushed the "CD" button to switch from the changer to the dash and it started playing.

"Hey wait," he exclaimed. "That's not the CD I just put in, it's a different one."

He pushed the button to the right of the slot again and there was this grinding noise. The screen said "ERROR".

That's when it hit. D#&*N IT!!!

What an idiot, right? Don't worry, I told him.

PaulQ

2010 Volkswagen CC Luxury, DSG Transmission, Technology & Appearance Packages
      ...formerly 2008 Touareg 2

Vehicles
      09 A4 Avant
      11-28-2007 09:10 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by PaulQ »

From what I remember.... I mean, from what he remembers... he hadn't used the dash player since he got the truck three months ago. After having it in and out of the dealer's shop as recently as last Monday, he was finally relaxed in his Touareg.

He had a CD sitting on his kitchen counter and just grabbed it on his way out. He looked at the dash and wasn't sure if he should just stick the CD in or if there was some kind of whacky VW way to do it.

He put the CD in the slot and pushed on it, it didn't take. He pushed that button on the right of the slot and then pushed the CD in. He had to push it pretty far before it was sucked in.

He pushed the "CD" button to switch from the changer to the dash and it started playing.

"Hey wait," he exclaimed. "That's not the CD I just put in, it's a different one."

He pushed the button to the right of the slot again and there was this grinding noise. The screen said "ERROR".

Grinding noise is never good......

I think your objective now is not to get the Cd out, but to prevent any (more?) damage to your cd player......

Take it to the dealer, they will most likely need to remove the whole radio and open it up and take out the CD. (if that is possible)

7. 11-29-2007 10:20 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by PaulQ »

my only comment:
      USA is a remarkable country, in which a guy with IQ of 80 can make enough money to drive a Touareg.

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      11-29-2007 10:45 AM #8
      Unless he can take apart the radio and remove the CDs himself, he should just buy a new (used) radio from eBay and put it in. The VW dealer will charge an arm and a leg to give him a New (refurbished) one.

Vehicles
      11-29-2007 01:58 PM #9
      The only thing that sucks about that is he has a T2, which means he needs a radio that has the SAT button for his sirius and I have yet to see one of these come on ebay. Maybe if your gonna go that route (I personally would take it to me dealer, but my dealer has been overly gracious in my treatment there) Another idea might be to shoot an email over the http://www.1stvwparts.com , explain your situation and see what price they can get you on a new radio.

I have to say, out of all of the "bonehead" things to do in a touareg, this one IMO takes the cake

Linder

10. 11-29-2007 05:16 PM #10
      Paul
      Check the yellow pages for radio repair or installers call them for price quote

Vehicles
      11-29-2007 07:54 PM #11
      Oh I just thought of something, my friend that owns a stereo shop in Marin County has a place that he sends broken factory radios to get them fixed. I believe it was like 100 bucks. This would be the most affordable option at this point.

Linder

12. 11-29-2007 11:39 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by raleys1 »
      Oh I just thought of something, my friend that owns a stereo shop in Marin County has a place that he sends broken factory radios to get them fixed. I believe it was like 100 bucks. This would be the most affordable option at this point.

Linder

Agreed! If you can't take the radio apart yourself, finding a local technician at a stereo shop is your cheapest bet. Most (99.7%) dealers will not open the radio. Period. They don't do it. End of story. They just take it out and replace it with another radio.

And you will be billed for the new radio since "oops" is not factory covered.

Find a local shop...

13. 11-30-2007 01:12 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by ****us »

my only comment:
      USA is a remarkable country, in which a guy with IQ of 80 can make enough money to drive a Touareg.

LMAO!!

14. 11-30-2007 04:10 PM #14
      It's weird, my dealer told me I couldn't use the dash unit to play CDs, that it was only for the Nav DVD.

I guess he was wrong!

15. 12-01-2007 08:41 AM #15
      Try Turning Off the radio, Turn it on depressing the eject button in repeatable sequence,good luck, Marty