Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: p0422 code 98 obd2 2.0

1. 12-05-2007 05:30 PM #1
      Bad cat or rear 02 sensor? It says, "low threshold in catalyst". How would I go about fixing this long enough to get by inspection.

Vehicles
      02.5 24v GLI, 05.5 Jetta 2.5l
      12-06-2007 11:27 AM #2
      last time i had this code i had to replace my cat because all the internal blew out!! maybe knock on your cat and see if there is anything rattling around??? like i said i had to replace mine...
      N.E.R.D.
      White Lightning

3. 12-06-2007 04:51 PM #3
      If you get this code, then by definition the rear O2 sensor is working, as this code is triggered when it's reading too closely resembles that of the 1st (front) O2 sensor. It's the cat.

4. 12-06-2007 05:04 PM #4
      oh okay, awesome. I will check it for leaks since the engine light was cleared, then it came back on for a day then it turned back off. I dont know really what to think

5. 12-06-2007 06:05 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by Blackonwhite99r6 »
      oh okay, awesome. I will check it for leaks since the engine light was cleared, then it came back on for a day then it turned back off. I dont know really what to think

If the cat is bad, then the code will come back, but sometimes it takes a few days, as the readiness code for the rear sensor might require several heating-cooling cycles to either set or fail to set. Cats don't really leak when they fail (not sure what you mean by the first part of your post), but they do become clogged with time, and lose the ability to clean up exhaust emissions.

Post up some info about your car (model, year, mileage, maintenance history, etc...).

6. 12-07-2007 10:28 AM #6
      its a 98 jetta with 135 thousand miles, I think the maintenance was lax because I had to replace a lot of stuff when I picked it up. The engine light was on when I got it and I put a new exhaust on and the engine light shut off for a little while and then came back on. Then it stayed on. I got it scanned and cleared a week ago and it stayed off for a day and a half, then came back on for a day, then shut off for half a day, then came back on again and its still on.