Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Have a problem with my passat...check engine light ON...

Vehicles
      2010 Golf MKVI mine, 2010 Honda CR-V hers
      12-06-2007 05:40 PM #1
      I wanted to move my car to the other side of the street just now and when started the engine up, motor started to vibrate/shake heavily and few seconds later "check engine" light popped up on my dash. Turned the car of right after that, restarted it again and motor seems to be working fine now but the light is still there. Car was parked for the last two days and it was around 22 degrees outside. Any ideas what that could be?
      I'm going to schedule an appointment with the dealership for tomorrow first thing in the morning just trying to find out if i can drive it to the dealer or call VW assistance and get it towed to the dealer. Like i said car seems to be driving normally now as i drove it anyway for about two minutes, it's just that light that's ON at all times now (not blinking)

Vehicles
      12-06-2007 06:00 PM #2
      I just called the dealership (Koeppel VW in queens NYC) and spoke with one of the advisers. He told me that the closest when they could take my car in would be next Wednesday. He said if the car is running smoothly to just come that day and they will have it checked. But in case i will have a problem, to call VW road assistance and have the car towed to them. I mean the car seems like OK now but the damn (check engine) light is still there. I hate situations like that, i need the car for a weekend and I'm not even sure if it's OK or not.
      He said that rough start have triggered the light to come ON but that doesn't mean the engine need to be checked right away, and if it's running smooth now not to worry about it before Wednesday unless there is going to be problem and have it towed to them.

Vehicles
      B6 Passat
      12-06-2007 06:53 PM #3
      has happened to me a few times, but since the OY update a couple of weeks ago...no problems. i drove with the CEL on and the car seemed to drive fine...just make sure that light doesn't start to flash and don't drive the **** out of it.
      Chapter 11 Dubs

Quote Originally Posted by Joel@Eurojet
      Dazzle them with brilliance, don't baffle them with Bull****.

4. 12-07-2007 12:45 PM #4
      You bought a VW, get used to the CEL's, and every other light it may have... just today my airbag light showed it self... just after i bought it last year they had to replace airbag sensors to i dunno. I have a fleating thought that it will be off when I start after work.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW E93 328i / 2012 Edge
      12-07-2007 01:41 PM #5
      Mine did the same thing but the CEL reset itself after a couple of days. If it's not flashing it's OK to keep driving it.

You experienced a cold start misfire. It's been my experience that the 2.0T is very sensitive to fuel quality. I've been getting CEL's during the gas station switchover to winter fuel every fall.

RIP BostonMk4
      4,290 posts

12-07-2007 02:41 PM #6
      I believe there is a TSB on this. Its a software update. I'm waiting till our 20k service to see if one pertains. Ours has done it twice and both times it went off after 10 running cycles. A running cycle is a start/stop cycle with a certain amount of running time at some temperature without encountering the same error code.

Hers: 2013 Beetle Convertible - Tornado Red, Beige Top & Interior, Tiptronic
      Mine: 2012 Golf - Tornado Red, Titan Black Interior, Convenience Package, Tiptronic

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 A4 3.0 quattro 1985 cabriolet 1979 westy rabbit 1996 gulf
      12-07-2007 04:47 PM #7
      Whenever my wife tells me the check engine light is on I go out and tighten her gas cap and tell her it will go out tomorrow....almost always works.

8. 12-07-2007 08:29 PM #8
      Unfortunately, you will probably have to deal with the engine failure issue. Ours did the same and they replaced the engine. See other posts on this subject. Hopefully, thats not what it is as not all CEL indicate an engine problem but VW has a serious problem on their hands with the 3.6 engines. If it turns out to be the problem i would file a lemon and get out of Dodge as we did. Good luck

Vehicles
      12-07-2007 11:05 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by BostonB6 »
      Mine did the same thing but the CEL reset itself after a couple of days. If it's not flashing it's OK to keep driving it.

You experienced a cold start misfire. It's been my experience that the 2.0T is very sensitive to fuel quality. I've been getting CEL's during the gas station switchover to winter fuel every fall.

Quote, originally posted by BostonB6 »

hmmm, CEL showed up yesterday and it was ON every time i restarted the engine without any driving( my gas tank was filled to just over half of it's capacity) so today i gave it another try...CEL still there so i drove it for about 2 miles to the BP gas station to fill up my gas tank i have also added a bottle of "gas line antifreeze and water remover" and guess what...started the motor after refueling it to full and no more CEL
      I have been almost always using local Shell gas station but i'm thinking their gas might be really crappy somehow. Moreover when i had a mazda3 before B6 (also brand new) fuel pump went fritz at 3K on the clock after getting 89octane at the same exact Shell gas station near me (was completely clogged), yet i kept using this Shell until now. I guess Shell isn't just what my cars need and from now on i will stick to BP which is even closer than that damn Shell.
      Thanks for sharing your experiences, I'm due for 20K service so will have them look into it as well just to be sure engine is fine". so, there is some software update for 2.0T ? Want to make sure before i go to the dealer and ask them to do the flash, i suspect they will be like

12-08-2007 11:27 AM #10
      Read my post above. It has nothing to do with gas. Its a software issue. Without the update, most 2.0Ts do it.

Hers: 2013 Beetle Convertible - Tornado Red, Beige Top & Interior, Tiptronic
      Mine: 2012 Golf - Tornado Red, Titan Black Interior, Convenience Package, Tiptronic

Vehicles
      09 GTI - 06 PASSAT
      12-08-2007 06:14 PM #11
      i also dont think it has anything to do with gas.
      i would go to the dealer and have them
      check for any codes, since you had a check engine light on.
      i have had some bad experiences with koeppel
      you might want to go to another dealer.
      good luck
      2009 GTI -APR K04 - USA, NJ
      APR GREECE SALONIKA
      2006 PASSAT-AUTO APR STAGE 2+ APR HPFP -DRIVE GEAR SPRINGS - APR TBE- NS PULLEY
      FORGE AUTO INTAKE- 18"ACE DIMENSION /PROXY4.--------Greece

Vehicles
      12-08-2007 10:41 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by NEW2B »
      i also dont think it has anything to do with gas.
      i would go to the dealer and have them
      check for any codes, since you had a check engine light on.
      i have had some bad experiences with koeppel
      you might want to go to another dealer.
      good luck

Yeah i "hear" You on koeppel...last time with them my car came out with two little dents, one next to another on the pass side fender, also it takes them forever to do anything once the car is in not to mention "sorry we don't provide loaners so take a taxi home and come back in the evening"
      Does anyone know of any decent dealer around as I'm also due for 20K service? How much should i be looking to spend on such service (without oil change as i'm doing it myself) I got my car at baysideVW but had some bad experiences with them as well. Damn I'm willing to drive even to NJ for a good service.
      Anyone knows of a friendly, reliable dealership?????????

Vehicles
      09 GTI - 06 PASSAT
      12-10-2007 02:10 PM #13
      if you are willing to go to jersey. i suggest jack daniels audi, vw.
      i took it to them when my dv crapped out.
      they gave me a loaner and did not give me any grief about
      my mods.
      just make an appointment and let them know you need a loaner.

Contact Service:
      Address: 16-01 McBride Avenue
      Fair Lawn, NJ 07410
      Phone: 201-398-1209

Modified by NEW2B at 2:17 PM 12-10-2007

APR GREECE SALONIKA

14. 01-02-2008 10:52 AM #14
      I'm dragging this back up as we had the same issue this morning. The car has sat since about the 22nd of December in a insulated garage.

My fiance started the car and right away it started shaking and the CEL was flashing.

She shut it off and came inside to get me. I went out, started it and it idled fine but it smelled really rich. The CEL is on solid.

I turned it off, let it sit a minute, started it again, idled fine,, but if I depressed the gas pedal once it got to about 1500 RPMs it made a sound that was clearly not good, I can't even describe it. And the engine seemed to lose power at that point. Could all be a bunch of flukes I guess.

Now I need to call roadside and have the car towed. I have asked at every service for all software updates and TSBs to be performed and I am always told there are none or they have been done.

I have a little over 31K miles on my 2006 2.0T Pkg 1. Only 6.5 more months and I can get rid of this car, that time wont come soon enough.

I used to be pro Passat after owning a trouble free MY2000 B5. This car has been nothing but trouble. Fortunately all warranty trouble, but the extended downtime and inconvenience has not even remotely made any of that reassuring.

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      01-02-2008 11:27 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by vwjockey »
      Unfortunately, you will probably have to deal with the engine failure issue. Ours did the same and they replaced the engine. See other posts on this subject. Hopefully, thats not what it is as not all CEL indicate an engine problem but VW has a serious problem on their hands with the 3.6 engines. If it turns out to be the problem i would file a lemon and get out of Dodge as we did. Good luck

He drives a 2.0T. It's likely NOT a catastrophic engine failure as it is running smooth now. More likely that it's simply misfiring on cold start, which comes and goes.

16. 01-02-2008 06:27 PM #16
      It's a German engineered car, get used to it. It's what I was told. LOL. If I take my car to the dealership every time a light comes on, it would be a second home. I'll worry when it starts flashing. You'll know when something is wrong with the car, I believe. What does help the check engine light not appear is turning the car off when filling up on gas. Sometimes, I forget, though, and the next time I turn on the car, there it is, staring at me, mocking me. heh.

17. 01-02-2008 06:54 PM #17
      gietl,
      Try changing out the fuel filter, sounds like you have a lot of water in it. Wen the filter fills up with water, the engine pulls gas off the top (gas is lighter than water) and regularly gets a slug of water along with it which can cause a misfire at startup and on the road too. I fought a similar issue on a Jetta (tried using dry gas repeatedly, but too much water), finally replaced the fuel filter and all was fine.

18. 01-02-2008 07:13 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by CarlaV83 »
      It's a German engineered car, get used to it. It's what I was told. LOL. If I take my car to the dealership every time a light comes on, it would be a second home. I'll worry when it starts flashing. You'll know when something is wrong with the car, I believe. What does help the check engine light not appear is turning the car off when filling up on gas. Sometimes, I forget, though, and the next time I turn on the car, there it is, staring at me, mocking me. heh.

This is my 4th VW and I am also on my second Audi. Those types of responses are not valid, sorry.

Check engine lights should not just come on because that's how the car is. They should not come on and flash and have the car run like **** because, well that's how the car is.

None of my previous dubs performed this way, and as soon as this one is gone (I can hardly count the days) I can't forsee another dub newer than a MY 2001 coming into my posession anytime soon until VW stops this...that's just how the car is.

The dealr told me today...after having to have the car towed...

"We have no idea why it happened, everything appears normal other than the code. Try filling the tank up the rest of the way."

I'm sorry but I have never owned a car in my life that just started running like crap for no reason.

19. 01-02-2008 07:16 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by beaowolf »
      gietl,
      Try changing out the fuel filter, sounds like you have a lot of water in it. Wen the filter fills up with water, the engine pulls gas off the top (gas is lighter than water) and regularly gets a slug of water along with it which can cause a misfire at startup and on the road too. I fought a similar issue on a Jetta (tried using dry gas repeatedly, but too much water), finally replaced the fuel filter and all was fine.

I can't imagine there being water in the fuel, Colorado is a very dry climate and I only use quality fuel. Obviously anything is possible, but I am not sinking another penny into this car for the remainder of it being in my possession.

If they can't take care of it with a warranty claim, it's not getting done unless completely necessary. I hope they crush this car after I'm done with it, no one should have to wonder if their car is going to be reliable today or not.

20. 01-02-2008 11:43 PM #20
      Well here is my guess, and we'll have to wait and see. The dealership kept telling me the refuel warning light was on, but when we started the car this morning there was easily a quarter tank if not more.

We go pick up the car, sure enough, the light is on and it is registering at the top most red bar at the end of the gauge.

After driving the car home, as we go down our street, the needle starts rising, approaching the quarter tank mark but not reaching it.

Go to the gas station, fill it up, 13.3 gallon and it wont take a drop more.

18.5 gal tank - 13.3 gal fillup = 5.2 gal left in tank.

Since it's all 'lectric and stuff my guess is something is faulty and the car may have thought it was out of gas? I have no idea, grasping for straws. Especially since the dealer is adamant there is nothing wrong and they are blaming it on the cold and low fuel.

5.2 gallons of fuel is good for about 145 miles. That is 7 days worth of commuting for my fiance, a day skiing (almost) and plenty of other destinations. So I find it hard to believe that is considered "low fuel" to the point the car would not operate properly.

Thanks for letting me bitch, maybe it will help someone else out. Now keep your fingers crossed that things stay sane for the next 6 months until we can turn this mutt in to the shelter.

21. 01-03-2008 11:19 AM #21
      I understand your frustration. When I first started driving the car and the check engine light and the airbag light would appear, I took it to the dealer. After the 5th time I was told by a friend who works as a mechanic at the dealership that it's not worth coming in every time it occurs. Previous to talking to my friend, the other mechanics and reps would just give me crap excuses like "turn the car off when you are filling up on gas" etc. I know three other people who drive 06-07 VWs and Audis who are having the same problem. But, like I said, if you feel that the car is not running okay and, therefore, that is why the light is on, then you should not ignore it. If you Google "VW check engine light" you'll see how many people are having the same problem. BUT, it's usually because of the gas cap or cold weather. My boyfriend recently purchased an 08 Audi A3 and I specifically asked the rep if he could assure me that there is no "check engine light" problems with the model, inserting how my Passat has such problem.

Best of luck

22. 01-03-2008 11:37 AM #22
      Quote, originally posted by RobMan8023 »

He drives a 2.0T. It's likely NOT a catastrophic engine failure as it is running smooth now. More likely that it's simply misfiring on cold start, which comes and goes.

Such occurred this morning with my car. It was 13 degrees outside and when I tried to start the car, it misfired, and eventually started. It drove smoothly during my commute. But, when I turned the car on an hour later, the CEL appeared and is still there.

23. 01-03-2008 09:18 PM #23
      The other strange thing, this is the third winter with this car, and it had never done this before even in much colder temps with the car sitting for a longer period of time.

Too bad so many others are reporting the same issue. I'm sure they do know what causes it, but like many other things Volkswagen, until someone can prove that it harms the car or creates an unsafe condition they aren't going to fix it on the problematic cars because it costs too much.

Vehicles
      2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
      01-03-2008 11:35 PM #24
      CEL's on our B6's in Colorado, ah, too familiar. It's a shame, we both purchased in CO within weeks I believe and I've already dumped mine and you'll be parting ways in 6 months...Probably not soon enough

Previously Owned:

B5.5 Passat
      B6 Passat
      07 Accord

Vehicles
      09 GTI - 06 PASSAT
      01-04-2008 03:15 PM #25
      i think all cars have their problems but these crappy dealers make 10xx worst.
      if i am not happy with one dealers service or explanation, i get a socond or third opinion no matter what.
      APR GREECE SALONIKA

Vehicles
      2004 Audi A4 1.8tq, 2007 VW Passat Wagon 2.0tm, 1984 Rabbit Vert *under construction*
      01-05-2008 10:32 AM #26
      I got a check engine light back in october. had it fixed supposedly, but then it came back on, same code, 2 weeks later.

dealership gave me the run-around, finally got it in there to get fixed. a week later, i pick up the car. before i even get in it to leave, the gentleman that pulled it up for me told me there was another CEL. had the car scanned again. some fuel pressure reg. sensor or something (the service manager was very vague and was not really willing to elaborate). my husband scanned the car when i got home, can't remember the code currently... but i've been waiting for a call from the dealership for 2 weeks now that the part is in.

if i were you, i would drive the car down to your local advanced auto or autozone and have the car scanned, then call the dealership and tell them the code. it will be fine to drive with the CEL on as others have said, as long as it is not flashing.

<3 Little Miss Maysen <3

27. 01-06-2008 02:13 AM #27
      Quote, originally posted by ramsecon04 »
      CEL's on our B6's in Colorado, ah, too familiar. It's a shame, we both purchased in CO within weeks I believe and I've already dumped mine and you'll be parting ways in 6 months...Probably not soon enough

It is very sad.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Odyssey, '05 Passat TDI, '11 Golf TDI, 6-mt, '79 Beech C23
      01-06-2008 07:54 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by vwjockey »

His is a 2.0T. Does not apply.

It's OK to drive with the check engine light on as long as it isn't flashing. If it flashes, pull over and stop the engine immediately.

Ours only did it once, and it was a gas cap issue. New gas cap and problem never recurred.