Edit 02.09.09. Added one pic of current state...
Here is my project car. I bought it about a year ago as a birthday present for myself when I turned 30. Car is going to be totally built and it is not daily driver. It is going to be used as street/track/drag.. Car is 1987 and it is original GTI 16V. It was allready repainted by previous owner, but it was done baddly and car was also pretty rusted.
Here are few pics what car looked when I started.
After I had owned car for a few weeks I started to stripping it down.
When car was fully stripped I put it in stand and flipped it over. Then I scraped all undercoating and saw that floor was pretty badly rusted.
I fixed those rusted spots and made rear wheel arches wider. I was going to use mk1 fuel tank filling cap, so I need to weld that metal part over original tank flap. At this point front arches were left original.
After that the whole floor was painted. All suspension parts were sandplasted and also painted. I replaced all bushing with Powerflex bushings, but those are now replaced with something else (I tell you later). Those coils are KW Variante 2.
Then I welded roll bar in place. That was pain in the arse and I had to redone it three times, but it is now done.
Then to the brakes, one of my favourite part. In front I had Audi TT 312mm disks that were stolen from my dailydriver and Porsche 996 Carrera calipers. I designed caliper carriers myself and those are machined from high strengh aluminium. Rear brakes are mk3 VR6 brakes. Previous owner was already made 5-lug swap and installed VR6 brakes. All brake lines were redone and all hoses are new. Brake pressure can be adjusted from brake pressure regulator that is located inside of engine compartment.
Then car was ready for paint. That was a job that I left to professionals and not tried to do it myself. Color is metallic silver from Audi color chart.
Then I started to put car back together.
And even got little drive before winter.
That brings us to this day. After few weeks of driving I started to strip car (again). I lifted engine off and parted it. Then it was sended to machine shop and they are currently rebuilding it. Inside there are all parts new. Pistons are JE-Pistons with 8.3 CR and there is H-profile cams. There is also standalone engine management, water-to-air cooler, oil cooler, custom short runner intake, custom exhaust manifold, etc. I can post some pics of engine when it is done. I am looking around 400hp.
Transmission is 02A with Peloquin LSD and there is upgrated clutch.
Those front arches was not winened before and when I fitted all parts I saw that wheels don´t fit. So I needed to widen also those.
I am going to remove all those Powerflex bushings and I designed spherical bearings to replace those. Those parts are machined from stainless steel. I think that I am getting those parts before christmas so I can post some pics when those are mounted.
Modified by TeemuM at 3:32 PM 12-15-2007
Modified by TeemuM at 3:37 AM 1-4-2008
Modified by TeemuM at 11:38 PM 9-1-2009