Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Car won't start after sitting overnight in COLD weather.

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      12-17-2007 10:35 AM #1
      As the title states, my car won't start after sitting overnight in cold weather (below freezing).

If the weather stays relatively warm (above 35 degrees) it will start fine after sitting overnight.

If I jump it, it starts right up no matter what.

I sometimes leave my radar detector on overnight, and I realize that probably exacerbates the problem, but this was never an issue before it started getting cold out. I could leave the radar detector on for a few days without any problem...

Any ideas as to what I should do (aside from just removing the radar detector)? You think it is a sign of a bad battery? Is it just the cold weather + radar detector depleting the battery overnight?

Vehicles
      1986 Mercedes 300E / 02 1.8T GTI / 12 Golf TDI / 12 Passat 2.5 SEL
      12-17-2007 10:39 AM #2
      how old's the battery? and define not start. trying to crank over but not?
      VW Vortex, the perfect place to get your daily dose of

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      12-17-2007 10:50 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by KG18t »
      how old's the battery? and define not start. trying to crank over but not?

Battery is a couple of years old. Not starting = not enough juice so it's making that clicking sound. Lights are dim, and when I attach jumper cables it fires right up...

Vehicles
      1986 Mercedes 300E / 02 1.8T GTI / 12 Golf TDI / 12 Passat 2.5 SEL
      12-17-2007 10:54 AM #4
      get a new one. this is about the time of year one would notice a dying battery.
      VW Vortex, the perfect place to get your daily dose of

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8L
      12-17-2007 10:54 AM #5
      Dude, you found the solution yourself. The battery is going and the radar detector is draining it just enough so it won't start in cold weather. Batteries are weaker in cold weather. Solution: Buy a new battery and unplug your radar detector!!

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      12-17-2007 10:55 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by Lehmann108 »
      Dude, you found the solution yourself. The battery is going and the radar detector is draining it just enough so it won't start in cold weather. Batteries are weaker in cold weather. Solution: Buy a new battery and unplug your radar detector!!

10-4

Just wanted to double-check with you guys before dropping the bling on a battery...

Thanks for the confirmation...

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      12-19-2007 06:50 AM #7
      Follow-up:

My Bosch battery was dead (confirmed by Pep Boys' tester thingy). It was well inside it's 3-year warranty (manufacture date was 9/2005). Pep Boys would not honor that warranty because I didn't have my receipt and couldn't find my name in their system?!?! So much for standing behind the products you sell and customer service. I never should have lifted my personal Pep Boys boycott.

Needless to say, I took my dead battery and went to Sams Club, where I found an Energizer battery for about 1/2 the price of the Bosch with the same 3-year warranty. This time I'll keep the receipt in my glovebox...

So, all this to say the dead battery diagnosis was correct.