VWVortex

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Super Rabbit WWII Bomber Themed Daily Driver

Vehicles
      Juced Cutty on 13's
      11-02-2009 11:52 PM #101
      i <3 this thing.

2. 11-03-2009 08:02 PM #102
      Here are some more pics. I recovered and dyed the seats black and am in the process of changing from blue to black interior. I finished up the raised rear strut mounts. I absolutely did not try to make them look good in any way. I went with the kindergartener with scissors contruction paper and paste look. They are strong and are located properly which is all that really matters. The shot also shows the battery mount. The rear shot shows that the spare tire well is removed along with the trailer hitch receiver(for the moment). I will put the receiver back in as needed for towing.

Vehicles
      84 VW Rabbit GTI, 84 VW Jetta Coupe
      11-03-2009 08:44 PM #103
      I like it! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

4. 08-13-2011 05:28 PM #104
      I guess its about time for an update. Projects have been accumulating so now Im finally getting around to them. Im resealing a leaky injection pump (and performed the governor mod), replacing the hideous intake with a gas 8V manifold, putting the alternator back on (I have been using a solar panel for some time), fixing the air conditioning and converting to R134A, replacing the radiator and fan, changing the tie rod ends, replacing steering rack boots and bushings, replacing brake hoses, and I may add a turbo.

The idea is to fix anything that is wrong or may go wrong soon so that this can be my daily driver all the time. Previously it would get close to overheating on the freeway in the summer and had no air conditioning. Driving 60mph on the freeway with the heater on when its 115+ degrees outside gets old fast. Once I finish this I will be selling my TDI MK4 jetta since MK1s are more fun .

I also noticed SGLoki requested pictures of the spotlight mount a couple times and I never came through with that. I know this was a long delay since my last post but i will get those posted soon. Sorry i missed those posts before.

5. 10-28-2011 11:56 AM #105
      I have been making more progress lately. Got the injection pump resealed and remounted with a new timing belt. I finally bought all the correct tools for the job including the timing belt tension gauge, turns out I have always installed the timing belt way too tight before.

I have to weld a bung in the oil pan for the turbo oil return line, and add a few baffles in the pan since oil pressure would previously drop when making hard left corners.

I have all the AC torn out and am in the process of replacing hoses, the TXV, receiver drier, condensor, and compressor.

Hopefully will have it up and running this weekend

Vehicles
      a couple o dubs
      10-28-2011 02:53 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by SGLoki View Post
      oh shizzle...
      Please share the pics of the spotlight mount, I have had a 1940's police light I bought in an antique store new in box kicking around here for months to do the same thing but I didn't feel like the handle would have room inside. Perhaps your photos might give me some ideas.i>
      In for pics as well
      Its hard to make a comeback if you've never left

Bad Pennies......We turn up everywhere!!!

7. 10-30-2011 12:57 PM #107
      Here are the pictures of the spotlight as requested. Sorry for the delay. I drilled all the way through the A pillar then ground out the hole to enlarge it with a die grinder. The mount in on the inside of the car and is just 2 screws through the sheetmetal. I removed the A pillar molding from the inside and had to slightly clearance the edge welt. It continues to work well after several years of service. I was going to put some sort of boot on the outside but it doesnt leak and there isnt wind noise so I think I will just leave it as is.

I am so tired of the diesel shaking every bolted joint to death. I am replacing nearly all bolts on the accessories and have added in wedge lock washers everywhere. I am impressed with them so far, we will see how they work in the long run. The test videos where they compare wedge lock washers to other bolt retention methods are quite impressive.

I have been marking every bolt or nut in the engine compartment with a paint pen so that I can quickly see if anything has loosened. Hopefully this will make preventative maintenance easier.

I rewired my glow plugs with a relay and a fuseblock. There is 8 gauge wire going to the relay and 10 gauge going to each glow plug. I still need to mount both the relay and the fuseblock on the firewall.

Vehicles
      2007 Passat Wagon, 2005 Jetta
      10-30-2011 01:10 PM #108
      It's nice to go through a thread and not see someone getting bagged on for fabbin' things up. Good work. I especially like the strut towers. How are them rears feeling?

Vehicles
      '87 butch basket, 90' jetta buy me, '84 diesel shadow
      10-30-2011 03:47 PM #109
      every so often i think of this thread and never subrcribed to it to easily find it again.
      If you can't take others opinions on a public forum then keep your opinions and photos on your facebook where only your friends can see and you can delete their comments!
      I support the efforts of new ideas and products to be offered to the mk1 community: http://oldskoolvw.com/
      http://www.nothingleavesstock.com

10. 10-30-2011 04:44 PM #110
      It's nice to go through a thread and not see someone getting bagged on for fabbin' things up. Good work. I especially like the strut towers. How are them rears feeling?
      The raised rear strut towers worked out great. It has plenty of travel to ride nice and made room for the extra long struts I ended up using.

11. 10-30-2011 06:18 PM #111
      pretty sweet build

12. 11-09-2011 12:11 AM #112
      I kind of lamed out on the wire management and relay mounting under the hood. I admit its not pretty but it all seems to be working well so far. I am thinking I will probably eventually mount an ammo box under the hood and mount all the relays, solenoid and the fuse block in the box to keep them dry, and out of sight. I have been driving the car the last few days and its a good reminder as to why i keep fixing up this car, its FUN!! I installed the dash cover and have started cleaning up the interior a little more. Its about halfway through being converted from blue to black.

I have put about 150 miles on it since getting everything back together and so far these are my impressions. The governor mod really helped part throttle drivability. The additional baffles I added in the oil pan took care of the oil pressure drop i was seeing on hard left turns. the oil pump has a lot better oil pressure than the old one. The new radiator is keeping it nice and cool now. removing the liquid nails from my motor mount on the passenger side (very succesful attempt at a poly motor mount) has greatly reduced in car vibrations. I really like marking all bolts with paint because it makes it really easy to inspect for loose hardware and to see if I missed tightening anything. We will see if I still like it after I remove and reinstall hardware a few times. The wedge-lock washers seem to be working so far. the alternator belt is already a little loose and Im sure the hardware did not loosen or slip so it must be belt stretch.

13. 11-10-2011 11:01 PM #113
      I installed my missinglinkz shift linkage upgrade kit with the weighted shift rod, short shift linkage, and UMMW Polyethylene relay shaft bushings. I was very impressed with the kit, it was truly a bolt on affair, and made an amazing difference in the shifting. I used to row the gears, now they click in smoothly with very little motion. I wish I would have done thins a long time ago, it is one of the best upgrades I have done to the car. I cant say enough great things about the easy transaction and great product, thanks Roger!!

Vehicles
      '82 Rabbit Pickup / '11 Golf TDI
      11-11-2011 01:50 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by hotroddr View Post
      I installed my missinglinkz shift linkage upgrade kit with the weighted shift rod, short shift linkage, and UMMW Polyethylene relay shaft bushings. I was very impressed with the kit, it was truly a bolt on affair, and made an amazing difference in the shifting. I used to row the gears, now they click in smoothly with very little motion. I wish I would have done thins a long time ago, it is one of the best upgrades I have done to the car. I cant say enough great things about the easy transaction and great product, thanks Roger!!
      on my wish list for sure!

15. 09-02-2012 02:17 AM #115
      I have been daily driving the car for a while now, figured it was about time for some pictures. I fixed the AC and have finally been able to enjoy driving in the summer in Phoenix.

Vehicles
      Mk2 Golf
      09-02-2012 08:06 AM #116
      Great build!! Just a couple ides to make it more authentic looking: Ditch the dash and have fabbed instrument consols like those in the aircraft. You could use the face plates of aircraft instruments on your stock guages, and the seats, ditch those things and use/fab aircraft style seats with a OD green canvas cushion. Just my unsoliscited $.02
      Eastep: making the possible, impossible since:1981

17. 11-28-2012 09:44 PM #117
      Here are a few pictures from my road trip up the coast of CA last week. Almost 2500 miles and not a single problem. I got between 40-45 mpg and didn't keep my foot out of it at all. Who says rabbits are unreliable.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345