Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 83 of 115 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
    Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2860

Thread: Geoff is bored, so here's a timeline....running. 56k grab a drink.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Bagged Noggy S4
      02-22-2012 03:55 PM #2051
      just to clarify.. -10 is NOT 1".. -16 is an inch.

-4 is 1/4, -6 is 3/8, -8 is half an inch and -10 is 5/8 and -12 is 3/4
      Who knows...

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      02-22-2012 04:07 PM #2052
      Yea, I knew that...the scavenger happens to be -10 as well so it's probably the best size to go with...I'm still trying to figure out if the 3/8" tubing is too small to draw the vapor through.
      Quote Originally Posted by futur View Post
      who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca
      Scraped.Crusaders. l the.final.offset l flickr

3. 02-22-2012 04:48 PM #2053
      I wanted to go back and edit to say "close" to 3/4", but was too lazy.

Vehicles
      too many audis
      02-22-2012 06:11 PM #2054
      Quote Originally Posted by James Himself View Post
      Is that catch can style going to cause any back firing?
      I learned the new rs5 has an extra injector in the exhaust to make a back fire every shift
      i would like to know what the function of that is.. clearing unburnt fuel out of the exhaust ?

i highly doubt audi would put a flame thrower kit on it just so it shoots flames.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Bagged Noggy S4
      02-22-2012 06:17 PM #2055
      wouldnt it be an extra plug or ignition source and not an extra source of fuel into the exhaust where nothing can burn it?
      Who knows...

6. 02-22-2012 06:53 PM #2056
      Quote Originally Posted by James Himself View Post
      Is that catch can style going to cause any back firing?
      I learned the new rs5 has an extra injector in the exhaust to make a back fire every shift
      Really?

Prob a plug to burn up any access fuel.

The new benz motor m276 a stratospheric charge version avaliable in europe. Theres nox sensors in the exhaust. This allows the motor to run super lean when your crusing.
      Quote Originally Posted by fbm93 View Post
      Welp Timmy you were right.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      02-22-2012 09:07 PM #2057
      The RS5 has something in the exhaust...Clarkson explains it, but I can't remember exactly what causes the rumble. I think it's just there to be there though, lol.

Ok, after talking to a tech I think I have come up with my catch can solution...and it's way easier than what I had previous.

Block breather>-10AN adapter>AN line>catch can. Done.

The positive pressure from the block should push the vapor out the breather just like it would in a stock application; and since it's a closed system all blow by will collect in the can. I will empty it frequently and it should be without issue. The scavenger brings up a couple complications; one being that if it's not working...I won't know. At least with the can I know I am venting and I know that there is no change of a backfire into the block, nor any vapor getting caught in multiple feet of lines. I wish I thought of this earlier...I have to buy a new catch can and some fittings...again.
      who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca

Vehicles
      too many audis
      02-22-2012 09:50 PM #2058
      is the can going to be capped off, or will it have a filter ?

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      02-22-2012 10:03 PM #2059
      I'm thinking I will cap it off. I will have the outlet made as either NPT, barb, or perhaps even have the guy just leave it with an inlet (I would prefer a cap though so I can run it somewhere else in the future if need be.) But ya, no filter. I want a completely closed system; I will just monitor it and empty it regularly. I'm going to mount it somewhere below the expansion tank but I need to figure out a mounting system.
      podi.ca

Vehicles
      too many audis
      02-22-2012 10:11 PM #2060
      how is the pressure going to release if there is no exit point ?

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      02-22-2012 10:31 PM #2061
      Ya, I thought about that on the drive home...

I MIGHT get the AN fitting on the inlet, and then use a barb on the outlet and have the pressure flow back into the stock pancake valve in the TIP. OR, I could vent it via a filter...which I have no problem doing; I'm just not sure about the smell.

Either way, I think I've opted out of the scavenger idea, if anyone wants it let me know, I will cut you a deal
      podi.ca

Vehicles
      too many audis
      02-22-2012 10:35 PM #2062
      i'll take it

Vehicles
      too many audis
      02-22-2012 10:37 PM #2063
      i think if i were routing it back into the intake, i would just keep it -10 from the catch can, and a 1" - -10 adapter for the tip.. and fit in one of those check valves seerlah was talking about somewhere in between

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      02-22-2012 10:45 PM #2064
      I think that's my final decision. My pancake valve seems to operate properly and my catch can will grab all the blow by while still allowing the vapor to return through the intake as designed in the stock system. I am going to get the catch can made with a -10AN inlet and a 1" hose barb outlet, this way it will mate directly to the stock valve and be fairly clean. Mainly because I can't find a -10AN = 1" hose barb fitting anywhere.
      podi.ca

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      02-22-2012 10:58 PM #2065
      Actually that line isn't even a full inch, it's .8"...which is what, 7/8"?
      podi.ca

Vehicles
      too many audis
      02-22-2012 11:13 PM #2066
      i just dont like the way the pancake valve looks.

yea, 7/8" = .875

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      02-22-2012 11:19 PM #2067
      Ya I don't either...I might even out it right after the catch can. The only reason I like keeping it is because it is designed to allow air to pass through but not allow oil residue, so although I have the catch can to grab (hopefully) most of it, I still have the added security of the factory system that monitors pressure into the TIP.
      podi.ca

18. 02-23-2012 07:35 AM #2068
      The pancake valve lets oil get by. That is why your entire intake track to the throttle body has oil residue. The pancake valve is designed to close after a certain amount of positive pressure, iirc. Or something like that. I'm too lazy to search, but it does not function as a check valve. And to have a catch can be effective, it needs to have a baffle on it. Those passages are what really traps the oil (my old 034 vortex one worked in like an affect of having the blow by spin in the catch can, oil stick to the walls, and only the blow by gas would exit through the outlet). If no baffle is on the catch can, then you need to create your own baffle, such as steel wool placed in it (not quite sure the proper one to use, which won't shred and have metal strands end up in your engine).

And if Nic does not want the E-Scavenger, I'll take it. It must be SS though, and not mild steel.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      02-23-2012 08:05 AM #2069
      The pancake valve should only allow air to pass by; in which there will be a mild amount of oil vapor but when functioning properly oil should not pass through (according to what I can find, I've spend way too much time reading about PCV, lol). A simple blow through test on mine reveals it is worn out. I am going to pick up a new valve today and run it in the stock location; however I will run the line across the front of the motor to hide it, it will then go under the IM and to my catch can. I emailed the Saikou Michi guy last night requesting his smallest can with a -10AN inlet and a 7/8" outlet (As far as I know all his cans are baffled accordingly but I will confirm when I hear back.)

This way, as I see it, the can will catch the oil vapor in the blow by (which I will drain manually), and the positive pressure from the crankcase will re-circulate through the intake as designed. I figure this is the closest to OEM application I can run without all the clutter...and let's face it, that valve under the IM with the T-fitting is just asking for a boost leak.

On the list for today:

plug IM bung for PCV system
      Install power steering cooler
      clean the passenger side of the bay a little more
      podi.ca

20. 02-23-2012 08:19 AM #2070
      Ok, I think you are right. Sorry about that.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      02-23-2012 09:05 AM #2071
      No worries, I'll be totally honest; before last night I was foggy at best on how the whole system operated anyway, lol. Now that I feel I at least know how the stock system is supposed to work I can accurately come up with a breather solution with fewer weak points, and more importantly; less clutter...the hotside of my bay looks sooooooo empty and I haven't even really deleted anything.
      podi.ca

Vehicles
      99.5 Casablanca White A4
      02-24-2012 12:15 PM #2072
      Geoff you have a good picture of your bay?

23. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 A4 BT / 97 A4 Beater / 98 A4 Parts car (Junked) / 96 A4 RIP
      02-24-2012 01:02 PM #2073
      I have 2 or 3 of the pancake valves sitting around if you want them. I'm never going to use them again. But I also don't know when I'm going to be up that way

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      02-24-2012 01:11 PM #2074
      No worries Rob, I'm going to pick one up today.

gear, not yet but I will shortly, I also fitted the passat power steering cover. I am thinking about going 2.0 FSI coils, a couple of my coils are cracking a bit and TBH I feel like me having them for 5 years problem free is more than good enough.
      podi.ca

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      02-24-2012 03:08 PM #2075
      our little compilation video from last year

podi.ca

Page 83 of 115 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast