Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 69 of 82 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
    Results 2,381 to 2,415 of 2857

Thread: Geoff is bored, so here's a timeline....running. 56k grab a drink.

Vehicles
      B5 AUDI
      04-24-2012 12:08 PM #2381
      Quote Originally Posted by .Mad Hatter. View Post
      Ya I had to make a few cuts around that area to make it fit right.
      did you have to cut anywhere else? I cut mine similar to yours and that spot fits but it sticks up buy the firewall, seems like if i cut off the mounting tab thats closest to the fender would let it lay flat.

woohooo page 69

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      04-24-2012 03:07 PM #2382
      Ya I had to cut off where it would sit against the rad support. Just do it a little at a time...I took probably an hour to do it, lol. little by little.
      Quote Originally Posted by futur View Post
      who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca
      Scraped.Crusaders. l the.final.offset l flickr

Vehicles
      B5 AUDI
      04-24-2012 06:38 PM #2383
      thats what I ended up doing. After a few cuts and a well placed ziptie, its sets pretty nice

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      04-26-2012 05:00 PM #2384
      All my mounts came today, now I'm just waiting on the hanger bearing and I'm all set.

For those with Stern tranny mounts, how do you know which way the pass. side mount is installed? It is shaped a lot different than the OEM one and I want to make sure I don't install it upside down since it is not the same top and bottom. Thoughts?
      who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca

5. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 A4 BT / 97 A4 Beater / 98 A4 Parts car (Junked) / 96 A4 RIP
      04-26-2012 09:54 PM #2385
      All my mounts came today, now I'm just waiting on the hanger bearing and I'm all set.

For those with Stern tranny mounts, how do you know which way the pass. side mount is installed? It is shaped a lot different than the OEM one and I want to make sure I don't install it upside down since it is not the same top and bottom. Thoughts?

Cylinder up, Triangle base goes down.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      04-26-2012 11:25 PM #2386
      I'm guessing you meant driver side Rob, that's the easy one. I meant this one:

I did the 034 one years ago and it looks the same as stock...this one doesn't have a definite top or bottom to me.
      podi.ca

Vehicles
      Chopped up B5
      04-27-2012 09:39 AM #2387
      Have you tried putting it in either way? Looks identical on both sides like it could go in both ways.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      04-27-2012 09:54 AM #2388
      No the car isn't up yet. I just realized that it looks to be the same dimension one way or another and I wanted to make sure I had the right idea before I went to put it in. It seems like the same overall height either way but one side has more urethane and the other has more metal.
      podi.ca

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      04-27-2012 09:55 AM #2389
      My buddy just told me the stern sticker faces down, which makes sense because that would be nut side down.
      podi.ca

Vehicles
      Chopped up B5
      04-27-2012 10:13 AM #2390
      My buddy just told me the stern sticker faces down, which makes sense because that would be nut side down.
      They usually go that way…uinless you're doing a headstand.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      04-27-2012 11:06 AM #2391
      haha, don't tempt me. I emailed Mike Hood so hopefully I can get it sorted out.
      podi.ca

12. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 A4 BT / 97 A4 Beater / 98 A4 Parts car (Junked) / 96 A4 RIP
      04-27-2012 04:29 PM #2392
      I'm guessing you meant driver side Rob, that's the easy one.

haha oops, yea i was talking about the driver one. That passenger one I haven't used. I have version one of it

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      04-27-2012 06:02 PM #2393
      haha, Mike replied quickly, he said the Stern sticker faces down.
      podi.ca

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-03-2012 03:32 PM #2394
      Time to mounts some **** up.

podi.ca

Vehicles
      2000 Audi A4 2.8Q
      05-03-2012 03:35 PM #2395
      Geoff don't you have heavy duty strut bushings?

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-03-2012 04:01 PM #2396
      Yup, 034. My rear diff mount bushing are upgraded and I also have the Stern power ring. After these, everything is locked down.
      podi.ca

17. Member
      Vehicles
      99.5 A4 1.8TQM 98 Passat Wagon
      05-03-2012 04:02 PM #2397
      Time to mounts some **** up.

ooooooo fancy. I need all of those, and the diff ones.
      Alex
      Strictly Pleasure

Vehicles
      2000 Audi A4 2.8Q
      05-03-2012 04:18 PM #2398
      Yup, 034. My rear diff mount bushing are upgraded and I also have the Stern power ring. After these, everything is locked down.
      By ant chance do you have a link to those? Are they the full rubber ones? I was looking but didn't find any for b5 a4s.

Might as well get decent ones now and replace them both.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-03-2012 04:54 PM #2399
      podi.ca

20. 05-07-2012 06:41 PM #2400
      Geoff, you have the Racetek FMIC correct? Can you maybe measure how many inches from the bottom of the inlet/outlet to the bottom of the intercooler?

I contacted Treadstone, and they said they can make a 2.5" thick intercooler whatever size I want if I can get 10 buyers. I'm trying to figure exact dimensions, call Treadstone back up, and get the ball rolling. I'm trying to have one built rated at roughly 500hp. Either a core size of 22x10x2.5 (550 cubic inches) or 22x11x2.5 (605 cubic inches), and overall end take to end tank being 28"-30". I also want the intercooler to sit into the valance, like the racetek. If you want to get one, just say so and I'll PM you once I get the ball rolling. As far as pricing, I am thinking no more than $250. But that is just a guess.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-07-2012 08:28 PM #2401
      Yes sir, I would like that a lot assuming I can mount it to my existing piping with little/no modification. I can get measurements this weekend most likely.
      podi.ca

22. 05-07-2012 08:42 PM #2402
      Cool. I'm going to try and have a vendor conduct the GB on AZ in all the 1.8t and 2.0t sub-forums to generate interest. I only contacted Dan at RAI so far. If he says he can't do it, then it's onto the next. Hopefully he will be able to do it, though.

Anyways, going to wait for those dimensions. Matter of fact, mind getting me the core height and length dimensions while you are at it. Along with that, end tank to end tank. This will help me decide what size to have the core made in. Once I get those I'll figure out exact dimension specs, pricing, payment process, time frame for delivery, shipping prices, warranty, etc. I asked Mike Hood about this, and he said I should size it between the ER Comp and Racetek. So, 500hp seems the right medium ground.

Only thing I see you needing to do to make this work with your piping is make a new mounting bracket, and transition couplers from whatever size piping you currently have to the 2.5" inlet/outlet I plan on having this intercooler made. That is assuming I can get the dimensions close to Racetek size, minus width. But I am really aiming to make this cool IATs of a 500hp turbo application. Might be the last one you may ever end up needing as long as you own your car.
      Last edited by Seerlah; 05-07-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-07-2012 09:05 PM #2403
      Ya, if I did it I would only want to do it once more with the exception of increasing the piping size later on. acket is not a problem as I made my current set in an afternoon anyway; I just don't want to re-route piping or trim the bumper any more. I will get all dimensions for you as soon as I can...my car is just back on the road after finally having the hanger bearing replaced, as well as the driveshaft CVs and having it balanced. I get to drive it for the first time in pretty much 3 weeks tonight.

I also installed my mounts with the exception of the snub (ran out of time), so I will try to get that done this weekend or next.
      podi.ca

24. 05-07-2012 09:43 PM #2404
      How that Stern driver's side mount treating you? I hear those are harsh.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-07-2012 10:05 PM #2405
      To install or how does it drive? The install wasn't bad at all, I had to install the bolt upside down though. I am going to pick it up now though so I'm not sure how it drives yet. The car has been at my buddies shop since I put the mounts in on Sunday.
      podi.ca

26. 05-08-2012 01:00 AM #2406
      I meant the ride quality. I installed 034 SD mounts all around when I installed my turbo kit roughly a month and a half ago. No complaints on my end. Prior to that, only had 034 snub mount with cage and stock mounts. I have other drivetrain upgrades, though. Stern Power Ring and Stern rear diff carrier mount bushings. Not sure about the Power Ring, but I'm about positive you have the same rear diff carrier mount bushings. Only reason I went this route is because I came across a deal for them, and figured "why not?". If I had to piece together the mount setup myself, it would be:

Stern soft motor mounts
      Stern passenger's side tranny mount
      034 TD driver's side tranny mount
      034 snub mount with cage

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-08-2012 08:49 AM #2407
      I have the power ring, and yes I also have the rear carrier mounts (stern). There is a slight vibration at idle and a little bit in the pedal while cruising; but they still have to settle and I also have yet to install the snub (I think there is still come movement there.)
      podi.ca

28. 05-08-2012 03:30 PM #2408
      The 034 mount is really the way to go, with their snub mount cage. It really permits little to no movement. Unless a company makes a snub mount to fit the casing of the stock bracket (meaning molded to fill it completely)with maybe 1-2mm between the mount and the entire inner wall of the bracket, there is no comparison.

And a vendor on AZ said he will be glad to help with the GB. By AZ guidelines, a paying sponsor has to conduct the GB. So, as soon as I can get specs of the intercooler figured out, I'm going to call Treadstone up and work out the details. Then, the ball for these front mount intercooler should be rolling.

I have a tweaked BF SMIC for my GT2871R (changed outlet to 2.5" with custom 2.5" aluminum TB inlet pipe), and the IATs get up there. I placed a sovereign IAT gauge onto the cold side piping before the TB to monitor my system and today I was easily hitting 145*F (~63*F) with it being roughly 65*F (~18*C) ambient temp. My Vag Com cable acts like a little b*tch and does not like to record at times, so I have yet to be able to log my ignition timing. But with IATs like this, that can't be good. My next step is the Bosch FSI 2.0 ignition coils with IE adapters and better front mount with proper sized piping. Better combustion and better cooling efficiency of air intake temps should make my car much much happier. Once summer hits, my current setup will be far from optimal.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-08-2012 03:54 PM #2409
      The Racetec seems to do ok, but then I haven't done many runs in a row to cause a heat soak situation.

From what I read my current APR snub mount is known to be crap, so I can't wait to get the stern one in (bought it as a package) and TBH I am not 100% sold on the quality of 034s mounts. I can feel the motor rock on the shifter now because everything else is locked, lol.

The stern mounts also cause a little vibration at cruising speeds, just enough to massage my foot. haha. I figure once they settle it will relax a bit.
      podi.ca

30. 05-08-2012 04:59 PM #2410
      I'll more than likely end up getting the Stern units in the future, but not yet. As for current, they suit me just fine. There have been quite a few testings on the Racetek, and it really isn't suitable for the GT2871R. For one, the piping on the kit poses a restriction issue. Then there is the whole actual efficiency of the core. I mean it works, but not like other units such as the 400hp Garrett core. The latest confirmation was by AZ member flynnr who is also running the GT2871R with the Racetek. He switched to a different intercooler (can't recall which one he picked up) and already picked up roughly 300rpm quicker spool. That's just in spooling. Cooling of IATs and top end power is something else.
      Last edited by Seerlah; 05-08-2012 at 05:03 PM.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      01 A4 BT
      05-08-2012 11:44 PM #2411
      Just to throw it out there he picked up a treadstone unit tr11 (I think) and upped his piping size

32. 05-09-2012 12:07 PM #2412
      I figured out what dimensions I want to roll with, Geoff. No need to measure for me. Some details.

Core: 22x10x2.5 (what I already told Treadstone) or 22x10.5x2.5
      End to End: 29.xx inches
      Offset from bottom of inlet/outlet lip to bottom of intercooler: 3"
      Inlet/Outlet: 2.5" with diverter casted into the end tanks like on their TR8/10 models to distribute airflow throughout the intercooler core
      Hangers: On side like the TR8/10 model
      Price: Below $200 a pop before shipping with 10+ buyers

The lead time is a while. I first need to send him a $500 refundable deposit to have the end tanks cast, since they are aluminum molded and not sheet metal welded. That $500 is so they don't lose money if I flake. Once the GB is complete, I get the $500 back. He said it will take roughly 3 months for the mold to be made, and 4-5 month total. So, going to sell my Greddy intercooler I have laying around towards deposit for the mold to get the ball moving (mees a broke guy). If it was to be a hold on a credit card, I would have already paid. But it is a cash deposit needed. Anyways, that's an update.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-09-2012 12:08 PM #2413
      I'm 100% in. How do those dimensions compare to the racetec model?
      podi.ca

34. 05-09-2012 02:28 PM #2414
      The measurements of the actual core of the Racetek is 18x10(really 9 7/8)x2. That equates to 360 cubic inches. My Boost factory side mount is 384 (or maybe 386) cubic inches, just to give you an idea. The core I want to use is 22x10x2.5 and that equates to 550 cubic inches. I am guesstimating it is efficient anywhere from 450-500hp. I will ask Jason at Treadstone next time I talk to him. But it is def efficient for the GT2871R. And the beauty of it is it will fit behind the stock bumper rather nice, if I took the measurements correctly. Placed measure tap to my car, and everything seems like it would be legit.

I am also going to ask one of my friends to front me the money for a couple months (just give him back the refundable deposit after all is said and done). Should not be that big of an issue. If he can do it, then it makes the transition that much easier.
      Last edited by Seerlah; 05-09-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      05-18-2012 07:42 AM #2415
      New pics from last night:

podi.ca

Page 69 of 82 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast