Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: When should I replace my V6 timing belt?

1. 01-01-2008 01:20 AM #1
      Car is 4 yrs old, only done 42,000km. It is a V6 2.8. The handbook says every 90,000km. Local VW dealer suggests I do it now. Opinions please.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Audi A8L
      01-01-2008 01:52 AM #2
      If it is a 30 Valve Passat it does not have a TB those cars have chains. Or are you refering to the serpentine belt in front of the engine?

3. 01-01-2008 03:20 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by dubbluvr »
      If it is a 30 Valve Passat it does not have a TB those cars have chains. Or are you refering to the serpentine belt in front of the engine?

It is a 30V engine. Just looked at the service schedule book again - it says at 90,000km "toothed belt for camshaft drive renewed V6 Passat".

Vehicles
      99 MK3 and 98 MK3 2.0, '01 B5.5 1.8T
      01-01-2008 09:25 AM #4
      It definitely has a belt. The 30V, V6 timing belt should be changed at 7 years or 90,000km. But it is not just the TB, it is the TB, Water pump, coolant change, thermostat, tensioner, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley that need to be changed. It is usually the water pump, tensioner pulley or idler pulley that fails that causes the TB to break.

A broken TB will cost you $3300-$4000 (US) for repair where preventive replacement of the the TB will cost $1200-$1400 (US) at the dealer.

5. 01-01-2008 12:12 PM #5
      no tb belt only on the B4 passats vr6 motor, v-6 30V has them always did it has a toothed timing belt and two cam chains, at least my two passats do
      if yours still has the sticker on the radiator shroud in german /english in red letters it says 75,000 miles for tb change thats when i did mine ,along with a metal impellar w/p serpentine belt,cam chain adj,cam chain tensioner,ideler roller ,coolant,va lve cover seals,cam chain seals,and anything else that is associated with that preventive maint repair, and i also did my coolant temp sensor and pcv hoses,since it was off warranty so that why i had it done ,and it isnt always the tb belt that goes first,sometimes its another component that fails and that breaks the tb belt which can be costly to repair when that happens my indi mech said i could have waited untill 90000 mi ,vwoa says 105000 , but if i had an earlier model passat w/ tensioner failure records i would go w/75000 to be safe as that poster with no tb will find out the hard way unforuntaltly

6. 01-01-2008 09:42 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by turbo 8283 »
      no tb belt only on the B4 passats vr6 motor, v-6 30V has them always did it has a toothed timing belt and two cam chains, at least my two passats do
      if yours still has the sticker on the radiator shroud in german /english in red letters it says 75,000 miles for tb change thats when i did mine ,along with a metal impellar w/p serpentine belt,cam chain adj,cam chain tensioner,ideler roller ,coolant,va lve cover seals,cam chain seals,and anything else that is associated with that preventive maint repair, and i also did my coolant temp sensor and pcv hoses,since it was off warranty so that why i had it done ,and it isnt always the tb belt that goes first,sometimes its another component that fails and that breaks the tb belt which can be costly to repair when that happens my indi mech said i could have waited untill 90000 mi ,vwoa says 105000 , but if i had an earlier model passat w/ tensioner failure records i would go w/75000 to be safe as that poster with no tb will find out the hard way unforuntaltly
      Wow! I thought I was a "preventative maintenance addict" (like to keep my cars for years not lease 'em for months)...My waterpump went @ 50K miles and they determined that the reason it crapped out was the TB tensioner failed....soooooooooo I got complete TB system and new WP under power train warranty...I paid for thermostat replacement..wish I'd also done cam seals and front snub mount, although so far...knock on wood...none of those is giving problems. I intend to sell car B4 I get to second TB change!
      96 Golf...Gone...But not forgotten..Great ride!
      2000 Passat GLX...Gone...But not forgotten either..have scars on my knuckles from all the "wrenching" to keep it on the road!
      2008 Rabbit S, VWsport springs/OEM shocks, GTI brakes all around, GTI rear swaybar...best balanced car I've had in a while!