VWVortex

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Cabrio project for the wifey... build thread

1. Member
      Vehicles
      05 Allroad 2.7T,13 GTI, 93 Cabriolet, 2009 Silverado
      03-22-2017 10:42 AM #351
      Quote Originally Posted by drkreign View Post
      Love the work and attention to detail but I have to ask, why run the brake lines inside the car and not underneath it? I would think after passengers or the first time the top leaks and moisture gets trapped near the lines you could have a rather large mess. Not knocking at all, just curious on your choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont forsee any issues with corrosion, Ive used all ss fittings and the nicopp line is VERY corrosion resistant.

Ive done this purely for aesthetics.

The top can only leak if you take it out in the rain.

Dan

2. Member
      Vehicles
      03-22-2017 10:44 AM #352
      Finished trimming and flaring the 3 output lines last night. I also played around with some zip ties, which hold them together surprisingly well. I still need to come up with at least one mount for the firewall.

Then it was time to tackle the input lines. Im not really happy with how these turned out. 1. the bulkheads are just so damn tall and 2. id like a little more clearance to the steering shaft (yes, I could bend them away more). So I ordered some electroless nickel plated 90 deg bulkheads this am. Ill need to have the engine bay side flange redone to accommodate the nuts and then hope like hell one out of the 6 choices allows the 90 to be keyed correctly inside (I can also shim them some if necessary).

Note: yes, one of the bulkhead fittings i had to substitute with a bolt as I left one at work.

Dan

Vehicles
      07' Rabbit & 86' Cabby
      03-23-2017 06:38 AM #353
      Those lines look great. Does that line running behind the accelerator pedal come in contact with the pedal?
      Nothing interesting here.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      03-23-2017 10:12 PM #354
      Quote Originally Posted by oopseyesharted View Post
      Those lines look great. Does that line running behind the accelerator pedal come in contact with the pedal?
      Nah. It cant hit even without the plastic stop in the carpet.

Dan

5. Member
      Vehicles
      03-27-2017 01:23 PM #355
      Wasnt digging the dumb bends on the input lines at the firewall so I picked up some nickel plated bulkhead 90s. It turned out SO much better.

With that done, I whipped up the rear crossover line and bracket. Im still deciding on what to use for clamps, hence its just floating right now.
      There will be no hard line on the drivers side, the braided line from the caliper will just extend right to the tee.

And hose routing on the pass side around the surge tank and thru the axle beam

Finally, I was able to work out routing of the ebrake cables without getting crazy and completely re-routing them. I just need the next size longer, 1800mm vs 1730mm. They are on order. I had to do a small notch in the fuel filter bracket (still needs a tiny bit more clearance) and massaged the corner of the gas tank a bit to add a small channel.

Dan

6. Member
      Vehicles
      03-29-2017 10:27 AM #356
      Test fit a wheel last night to both verify my axle spacer measurements were right and also to see how much wheel clearance I had for the axle beam brace "towers".

Perfect fit, and no rubbing. I know very un-vw.

With that I welded up these little towers. I happened to have the rod ends and bar "in stock", leftovers from cavy projects I guess.

Trying to decide where to mount them. I really like them over the shock mount, but then they could get filled up with water and whatever. Im thinking a drain hole might be good enough to keep water from washes drained. Also unsure if the swaybar mount "lollipop" bolt is long enough to go through the extra metal.

I dont know how I took this to be powder coated years ago with the condition of the pass side shock mount area. Its pretty hammerd (literally). At least I can address that now as well since its going to need to be re-coated.

Dan

7. Member
      Vehicles
      04-03-2017 10:27 AM #357
      Was never a huge fan of the rear bumper cover or the huge tow hooks. The bumper flap in had a big crack right in the middle, so I decided to do a little trimming. At some point I may come up with a simple diffuser but for now just having that middle flap cut out and the tow hooks gone is a huge improvement.

So long ugly ass tow hooks

I think it will be pretty business looking once the bracing is in.

Next was time to fix the pass side shock mount area on the beam. How I ever took this to powder 6 years ago Ill never know. It was very bent up and beat to hell. Must be someone couldnt get the shock out at one time. A little beating with a BFH, welding, grinding, and redrilling and its pretty close to normal.

Also got the second brace tower welded up. Decided not to mount them over the shock hole. To keep them from filling up with water I welded up the oe hole in the beam, then tacked the towers on

Autotech swaybar and longer tie rods will be here by thursday so I can finish up this beam and get everything back to powder sat am.

Dan

8. 04-07-2017 05:01 PM #358
      nice build man, cant wait to see more progress

Vehicles
      2000 Golf TDI, 2002 Jetta TDI, 2001 Jetta
      04-12-2017 08:47 PM #359
      Awesome work.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      04-17-2017 10:26 AM #360
      Fabbed up the inner axle beam bracing mounts last night. Still need to be welded but Im currently out of sheild gas for the TIG. Also dont mind the random wheel studs, it was the only 5/8" bolts I had that were long enough. The fin at the bottom double serves as a jack point should I not be near the lift.

Dan

Vehicles
      1990 VW Cabriolet 1.8L 2H 5Spd Digi2 - 1981 Ford E-150, 300 6, 4 on the floor
      04-18-2017 09:36 AM #361
      Extreme!!
      Even a blind squirrel finds a nut in the dark, sometimes.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      04-21-2017 10:49 AM #362
      Finished up the beam bracing last night. Welds arent my best, but itll work

Also had to modify the inner swaybar mounts. The OE mounts are supposed to fit the Autotech big swaybar, well mine didnt. They were about 1/4" too short. Its really weird, all of the MK1 VW cars have the same OE part number for this bracket, just different revisions dep on year. Given these are NLA and if I found a used set who knows if theyd fit, I decided just to mod them

First welded a shim to the mounting hole side.

Then cut off the bent end.

Bent / cut up a new peice

Positioned, tacked, and bent around the orig bracket

Ugly welded in place

Ground and sanded to sort of match the OE look

Perfect fit

And the whole smash on the car

Up next I need to get the motor back in then start on the exhaust.

Dan

13. 05-06-2017 12:06 AM #363
      Dang ! ..sick build,....lucky wife !

14. Member
      Vehicles
      05-09-2017 09:07 AM #364
      Had an hour or two free after work yesterday, decided to get the motor in so i can start on the exhaust. Goes in so much easier from the bottom side. Im planning to make some sort of dolley that holds it in just the right position so itll go in effortlessly when everything is painted and finished. Basically just lower the car onto it, no hoist required.

Dan

15. Member
      Vehicles
      05-10-2017 09:44 AM #365
      Fit a few things last night so hopefully I catch anything stupid that Ive long since forgotten in the last 8 years or whatever.

Im currently struggling with my original oil cooler mount, not sure whats going to happen there yet. I hate the mustang throttle body. And the top radiator mounts suck.

Reuger front lip

Dan

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      05-10-2017 10:19 AM #366
      Quote Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
      And the top radiator mounts suck.

As bad as they are and have a Negative Air Displacement Ratio (vacuous), they are still better than the old bolt at the bottom and a single clip at the top that allowed so much movement that Radiator Tanks split up the sides...

17. Member
      Vehicles
      05-10-2017 11:11 AM #367
      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      As bad as they are and have a Negative Air Displacement Ratio (vacuous), they are still better than the old bolt at the bottom and a single clip at the top that allowed so much movement that Radiator Tanks split up the sides...
      I dont have any OE mounts. I made up some little tabs but Im not keen on them. I need to come up with something new.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '80 MK1 Golf (2 Door). '00 Golf 4 Cabrio
      05-11-2017 02:45 AM #368
      Amazing build mate! Wow!

19. Member
      Vehicles
      05-15-2017 09:40 AM #369
      Was able to use my top radiator mounts. Just took a little mod of the radiator to get them to fit.

With that done it was time to redo the top radiator shroud that I screwed up a few years ago. I had a couple hours friday night so I knocked it out. It was my first time forming something like this. I think it turned out pretty good.

Also started on Rev 2 of the oil cooler mount. Must happier with this one so far. I just need to redo the lower support / rock guard. Though I may add some sides to create a duct for it. we'll see.

Dan

For advertising information click HERE

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415