Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Cabrio project for the wifey... build thread

Vehicles
      1989 Cabriolet
      11-04-2016 11:55 AM #326
      Love this thread! Thanks. I wish I could take my car to half the level you are able to.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      05 Allroad 2.7T,13 GTI, 93 Cabriolet, 2009 Silverado
      01-03-2017 12:58 PM #327
      Finally getting back to this after a busy fall: remodeling my attached garage, work trip to Italy, and a week in Phily at Thanksgiving for my daughters dance competition, typical holiday bs, and finally picking up what seemed like months of random project nonsense in the shop.

Picked up the powder coated surge tank weeks ago

Got the car flipped up the other way and finished welding in the battery tray.

Ive been avoiding trying to clean up the area around the back of the spare tire well and what Im calling the rear roll pan for basically ever. I finally decided that the roll pan added no value and it would be easier just to remove it. I got a good start on it, about half done right now. Likely Ill finish the final trimming of the lower half once its on the lift later this week.

The mess I started with

And after. So much better. I may weld in a small piece near the bottom of the wheel wells, still undecided until I can get the bumpers on.

Dan

3. Member
      Vehicles
      01-09-2017 10:12 AM #328
      Finished up removing the rear roll pan.

The subframe is now completely welded to the chassis, which was a pain with all the dripping paraffin and fires. But its on there!

This pic was taken before i rolled the car the other way to finish the other floor tie in plate and rocker welding.

I think I mentioned it before but Im taking time to grind any misaligned uni-body panel edges. Im sure no one will ever notice, but I just cant help it. Here is one example from the rear frame rail / wheel well area.

Also manged to get the last of the undercoating stripped, aside from a few small spots still stuck in tight corners. And finally, started striping the rest of the OE primer in order to do the Master Series Silver coating and then regular primer. Im hoping to have the bottom all stripped and primed in the next week or so.

Dan

4. Member
      Vehicles
      01-11-2017 01:01 PM #329
      I was just going to "see how much it would suck" in a few spots. A couple hours later I stopped and had done pretty much the whole floor pan. Now I feel like I should do a few spots inside....we'll see. It wasnt too bad, but it def took a certain technique to fight the fires and smoke from any seam sealer or wax left between panels, especially the ones where gravity wasnt helping.

Dan

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1992 VW Cabriolet Wolfsburg Edition, 1993 VW Cabriolet Collector's Edition
      01-11-2017 03:52 PM #330
      you are a fabricating wizard man, super impressed with this ENTIRE build!

Vehicles
      '99 Cabrio (Ebony), '97 Cabrio (Ivory) '96 Cabrio (Blues)
      01-12-2017 07:39 PM #331
      Glad to see you back on this thing again...

Make 2017 awesome!
      ...if all else fails, read the instructions!

I left the Dark-side of the Moon for this?

Open eyes, let sleep out!

7. Member
      Vehicles
      01-16-2017 10:33 AM #332
      More progress!

Thrusday I finsihed up any stitch welding and did more primer removal, weld cleanup etc.

Inside welded up. Its fun to see all the welding from the outside.

Good penetration (maybe too good?)

All cleaned up and ready for primer.

Sat brushed on two coats of Master Series Silver

Sunday the wife and I got the "booth" set back up and wrapped in plastic.

Ready!

Primed with two coats of 2k primer.

Super stoked to finally have this at least in primer. Now I can get it on the rolling dolly and get back to the engine bay. Im hoping to start doing filler later this week.

Dan

Vehicles
      07' Rabbit & 86' Cabby
      01-23-2017 12:16 PM #333
      Absolutely incredible work. I am going to need to watch this one.
      Nothing interesting here.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      01-28-2017 11:17 PM #334
      Did a little more work on the "booth". Scored a 24" dog tunnel on amazon and cut it down to use as a fan duct. It works pretty slick and is easy to pop out of the window and move out of the way when Im not using it.

A guy that I work with has a small CNC at home that hes looking to get some practice on so I had him make me this. Its a simple block to keep the brake line fittings keyed on the firewall. I have a few other things lined up that hes going to be cutting for me as well. Ill prob have this nickle plated along with a few other things (door and hood latches etc).

Ive been working hard the last couple weeks trying to finish up the last of the fab on the engine bay, getting it stripped down to bare steel, and primed.

Welding and grinding done, stripped down bare.

Coated with Master Series Silver

And today put a good coat of 2k primer over the MSS.

Tomorrow Im starting on the filler, should be a ball of fun.

Dan

Vehicles
      '99 Cabrio (Ebony), '97 Cabrio (Ivory) '96 Cabrio (Blues)
      01-29-2017 06:36 PM #335
      Crafty set-up!
      A step closer to putting color on this puppy.
      Are you going to back with the OE color or a different route?
      ...if all else fails, read the instructions!

I left the Dark-side of the Moon for this?

Open eyes, let sleep out!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      01-30-2017 09:46 AM #336
      Engine bay and the bottom of the car are going to be Audi silver and the outside is going to be Porsche slate grey.

Dan

Vehicles
      EURO 83 GLI Cab & 92 GTI Cab, Audi b6 Avant and S5000
      01-31-2017 12:24 AM #337
      wow you my friend set a new bar for mod'ing cab, will be keeping an eye on this.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1988 Cabriolet
      01-31-2017 06:55 PM #338
      Just read this thread from start to finish, my oh my, what a thread! Your craft is superb, keep it up as I will continue to follow as well.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      02-03-2017 09:43 AM #339
      Thanks!!

Filler has begun. As of reallly late last night Im almost done with the firewall. I just need to work on the lower transition to the OE firewall and a little around the corners. Hoping to finish that up, get some primer on it, and move on to the next section this weekend.

Dan

15. Member
      Vehicles
      02-10-2017 12:23 PM #340
      Almost done with the firewall, still need to do the final glaze coat.

I started on the shock towers/ inner fenders.

Passenger side is pretty close, got the first coat of duraglass on the drivers side.

Where Im at as of last night.

If all goes well this weekend I may prime the firewall and pass side.

Dan

16. Member
      Vehicles
      02-22-2017 09:46 AM #341
      Reached a pretty big milestone last night. Finished up filler and primed the engine bay. There are a few spots Im going to need to address. The biggest being on the upper part of the drivers inner fender (the wavy line there), and the areas around some of the oe "grooves" on the frame rails. But overall Im very happy with how its shaping up.

And just a reminder as to what I started with

Dan

17. Member
      Vehicles
      03-03-2017 09:27 AM #342
      Didnt feel like hand sanding anymore so I thought Id take a break and get the wheel wells primed. So I spent hours with a pile of roloc discs and then primed with Master Series Silver. Tonight Ill spray some 2k primer so itll be ready for chip guard in a month or so.

Up next I need to finish up the motor mounts, and then drop the motor / trans etc in for a final mock up. I still need to finish up the oil cooler mount and double check where wires etc will be run. Then I need to turn some attention to the motor (cleaning up casting lines etc) before it goes out for a rebuild in a couple weeks.

Dan

18. Member
      Vehicles
      03-07-2017 10:18 AM #343
      Last fri night I 2k primed the wheel wells. So at least now the whole bottom of the car is in primer. phew. Sat I pulled it out of the booth, got everything cleaned up (which took forever. so much dust) and removed the last few parts from the shell (windshield comes out tonight)

Sunday I worked on the motor mounts. I hated the way the transmission mount looked "unfinished". I simply extended the boxed in part so it was even. It still looks a little goofy but at least it looks finished. I also tried my hand at TIG brazing using silicon bronze. I added it over the oe welds to create a nice rounded fillet. Im now hooked on the stuff. Its so easy to lay down and grind and sands so easy.

Before:

Welded up:

Brazed and smoothed:

Next up was the front motor mount. Again, I didnt like the way the tube was just left open near the bracket. (for those that dont know a rubber "doorknob" goes on the end of this and plugs into the next piece that attaches to the lower core support)

Before:

After:

Then it was on to the above mentioned cup. This one wasnt so bad, the factory weld was just not even nor made a nice fillet. I tried using some Dykem as a sort of guide coat. It worked great to quickly identify the low spots as I was block sanding the top edge.

Then it was on to the pass side motor mount. Since Im not using the factory alternator mount, which slips under the motor mount, I brazed in a spacer. I suppose I could have tried to flatten it or cut it off and weld in a flat piece, but this was fairly simple and its sort of behind the timing belt anyway. Plus the brazing is fun. I still want to braze over the factory welds to smooth them out. Ill get to that tonight.

I then bead blasted them all.

And the new mounts arrived. I ended up getting the TT Tuning 65A HD replacements.

Dan

19. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2017 11:46 AM #344
      Finished up the brazing on the top of the last motor mount. Now all the mounts are ready for a coat of MSS.

And bead blasted. The MSS should help fill the pits.

Bead blasted the OE master cylinder brace that I dimple die'd a few months back. I didnt like the uneven flange on the top edge so I trimmed that up and reshaped the lower flange a little.

Before

After

Last tues a friend and I pulled the windshield and I was surprised to find what lie beneath.

I scraped, wheeled, and ground out all of the urethane, paint, and most of the crusty rust. Also removed 14mils of paint from the window frame and wiper cowl. Whoever repainted this thing before was NOT shy with the product. Ended up with a few small holes which shouldnt be a big deal to patch up

Better

Pic of said paint thickness.

Finally sand blasted.

Tonight Im going to sand blast it again, brush on a coat of MSS and then hopefully spray a second coat over the channel and the entire window frame and cowl. Ill also spray a coat on the motor mounts.

Dan

20. 03-14-2017 01:55 PM #345
      amazing! looking forward to seeing the finished product

21. Member
      Vehicles
      03-16-2017 10:13 AM #346
      Had a day and a half off of work b/c of the storm, naturally I spent a bunch of time in the shop.

Patched up the two holes in the window channel and did another once over with the sand blaster.

Brushed on a coat of MSS

Then sprayed on two coats of MSS on the widow frame, and the motor mounts. My first time spraying it, it goes down very nice. I used the purple $15 HF spray gun.

This pic of the motor mounts freaks me out a little. I swear they look like 3D models.

Then I put a couple coats of 2k primer on everything.

Next, since everything was already a mess and I had the sandblaster out I decided to tackle the quarter panel easter egg. I knew it was going to be a mess, but it was a little worse than I thought after grinding out 1/8" of filler...

It might be a while before I get back to this, so to seal it up I brushed and sprayed a couple coats of MSS on it.

Dan

22. Member
      Vehicles
      03-17-2017 11:49 AM #347
      Cleaned up the black beach in the booth yesterday afternoon and got the shell back on the lift.

Rolled the motor out and started bolting stuff on. I had to look back at image dates, but I made this intake and exhaust mani back in mid to late 2009, ugh.

Anyway, I sorted a ton of parts, and tried to make sense of exactly what my plan was on some things back then. I think I have a good idea, at least in my head, what needs to be cleaned up, modified, finished etc. It seems like nearly all of the custom parts on this damn motor are 85% done. sigh.

Dan

23. Member
      Vehicles
      03-20-2017 12:38 PM #348
      Spent some time on plumbing this weekend.

Finished up the fuel lines (save for the supply and return to the OE tank, since I need to source the hose still.

The hard lines are a sob to get in with the subframe installed. Apparently I always removed it when I was working on them, whoops. Cant do that now. A little enlarging of the hole thru the chassis made it work, plus it allowed the gravel guard to fit through the hole, which I wanted anyway.

With that done I decided to work on the brake lines. I was originally going to mount the bias on the inside of the firewall or the floor, but I didnt like any of those locations so I decided to put it right on the side of the pedal box. I think it worked out well. I obv still need to flare the lines but a friend is borrowing my tool right now. I should have it back tomorrow and can finish up later this week. Im using 3/16 nicopp which is a dream to work with since you can easily bend it by hand. I still need to add some more mounts, a few of which I may make special to hold all 3 lines with one fastener. The front lines run through the frame rails and come out about 3" from the oe frame tab mounts, I think I showed this before. Those I will need to bend and flare once the lines are installed for good.

Dan

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Mkv Mk3 Mk1
      03-20-2017 03:53 PM #349
      I love checking this thread out every couple weeks. Such amazing work. Keep it going!
      Stuff and Things

25. Member
      Vehicles
      90 VRT Corrado, 05 Ram SRT-10 QC
      03-22-2017 10:36 AM #350
      Love the work and attention to detail but I have to ask, why run the brake lines inside the car and not underneath it? I would think after passengers or the first time the top leaks and moisture gets trapped near the lines you could have a rather large mess. Not knocking at all, just curious on your choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Rule for posting in Corrado Forum- BEFORE clicking 'Submit Post' button, go ahead and have someone kick you in the nuts. Only then can you click the button.....it'll hurt less when you get your response.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast