Love this thread! Thanks. I wish I could take my car to half the level you are able to.
Finally getting back to this after a busy fall: remodeling my attached garage, work trip to Italy, and a week in Phily at Thanksgiving for my daughters dance competition, typical holiday bs, and finally picking up what seemed like months of random project nonsense in the shop.
Picked up the powder coated surge tank weeks ago
Got the car flipped up the other way and finished welding in the battery tray.
Ive been avoiding trying to clean up the area around the back of the spare tire well and what Im calling the rear roll pan for basically ever. I finally decided that the roll pan added no value and it would be easier just to remove it. I got a good start on it, about half done right now. Likely Ill finish the final trimming of the lower half once its on the lift later this week.
The mess I started with
And after. So much better. I may weld in a small piece near the bottom of the wheel wells, still undecided until I can get the bumpers on.
Finished up removing the rear roll pan.
The subframe is now completely welded to the chassis, which was a pain with all the dripping paraffin and fires. But its on there!
This pic was taken before i rolled the car the other way to finish the other floor tie in plate and rocker welding.
I think I mentioned it before but Im taking time to grind any misaligned uni-body panel edges. Im sure no one will ever notice, but I just cant help it. Here is one example from the rear frame rail / wheel well area.
Also manged to get the last of the undercoating stripped, aside from a few small spots still stuck in tight corners. And finally, started striping the rest of the OE primer in order to do the Master Series Silver coating and then regular primer. Im hoping to have the bottom all stripped and primed in the next week or so.
I was just going to "see how much it would suck" in a few spots. A couple hours later I stopped and had done pretty much the whole floor pan. Now I feel like I should do a few spots inside....we'll see. It wasnt too bad, but it def took a certain technique to fight the fires and smoke from any seam sealer or wax left between panels, especially the ones where gravity wasnt helping.
Thrusday I finsihed up any stitch welding and did more primer removal, weld cleanup etc.
Inside welded up. Its fun to see all the welding from the outside.
Good penetration (maybe too good?)
All cleaned up and ready for primer.
Sat brushed on two coats of Master Series Silver
Sunday the wife and I got the "booth" set back up and wrapped in plastic.
Primed with two coats of 2k primer.
Super stoked to finally have this at least in primer. Now I can get it on the rolling dolly and get back to the engine bay. Im hoping to start doing filler later this week.
Did a little more work on the "booth". Scored a 24" dog tunnel on amazon and cut it down to use as a fan duct. It works pretty slick and is easy to pop out of the window and move out of the way when Im not using it.
A guy that I work with has a small CNC at home that hes looking to get some practice on so I had him make me this. Its a simple block to keep the brake line fittings keyed on the firewall. I have a few other things lined up that hes going to be cutting for me as well. Ill prob have this nickle plated along with a few other things (door and hood latches etc).
Ive been working hard the last couple weeks trying to finish up the last of the fab on the engine bay, getting it stripped down to bare steel, and primed.
Welding and grinding done, stripped down bare.
Coated with Master Series Silver
And today put a good coat of 2k primer over the MSS.
Tomorrow Im starting on the filler, should be a ball of fun.
Filler has begun. As of reallly late last night Im almost done with the firewall. I just need to work on the lower transition to the OE firewall and a little around the corners. Hoping to finish that up, get some primer on it, and move on to the next section this weekend.
Almost done with the firewall, still need to do the final glaze coat.
I started on the shock towers/ inner fenders.
Passenger side is pretty close, got the first coat of duraglass on the drivers side.
Where Im at as of last night.
If all goes well this weekend I may prime the firewall and pass side.
Reached a pretty big milestone last night. Finished up filler and primed the engine bay. There are a few spots Im going to need to address. The biggest being on the upper part of the drivers inner fender (the wavy line there), and the areas around some of the oe "grooves" on the frame rails. But overall Im very happy with how its shaping up.
And just a reminder as to what I started with