Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford refuses to allow fan-made calendar to be sold

Vehicles
      XW30, NA, V227
      01-14-2008 08:43 AM #1
      http://www.boingboing.net/2008....html

Quote »

The folks at BMC (Black Mustang Club) automotive forum wanted to put together a calendar featuring members' cars, and print it through CafePress. Photos were submitted, the layout was set, and... CafePress notifies the site admin that pictures of Ford cars cannot be printed. Not just Ford logos, not just Mustang logos, the car -as a whole- is a Ford trademark and its image can't be reproduced without permission.

Related yet unrelated pic - OH NOES!!11oneone Ford is going to get teh lawyers on me!!

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

01-14-2008 08:45 AM #2
      Argh! Watch out 'Hot Rod Magazine', Ford is going to recover 40+ years of backpay for your pics!

3. 01-14-2008 08:47 AM #3

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC
      01-14-2008 08:48 AM #4
      wow thats pretty lame

5. 01-14-2008 08:52 AM #5
      can they legally do that, upon sell is the car not property of the new owner with no vested right remaining with ford?

Vehicles
      '92 Jetta 2.1L 16V, '08 Mazda3 GT
      01-14-2008 08:58 AM #6
      Lame, just lame.

7. Swallow Doretti
      01-14-2008 09:03 AM #7
      2nd time Ford's done this in the last month, BTW--they also did this with a local midwestern Jaguar club.

8. Banned
      01-14-2008 09:03 AM #8
      Silly, Ford should look into other ways of making money rather then going after their current customer base.

What else is there left after that?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Pale yellow Christmas Packard.
      01-14-2008 09:13 AM #9
      Hopefully this will be settled when they contact Ford. What a joke.
      Man...sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived. - Tenzin Gyatso

10. 01-14-2008 09:16 AM #10
      How about show cars? Aren't those owners making money off the image of a Ford product?

Vehicles
      2014 Ford Fusion w/ 3 pedals, 2014 Ford Escape
      01-14-2008 09:18 AM #11
      I'm going to guess this has a lot more to do with CafePress selling the calendars (and making the profit) than it does the club itself. If the club is selling them directly to the members and using any profits to fund the club, then I'd guess all it'd take would be a quick note to Ford to get the clearance.

Who knows, though? I'd imagine most (if not all) manufacturers have legal firms that are responsible for "brand protection"... it's a horrible move from a PR perspective, but I can understand why the need exists. The brand and product is trademark protected...

Modified by MotownSVT at 9:20 AM 1-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by BarryV1
      Scene points are kind of like bitcoins... They really carry no value outside of the internet.

12. Swallow Doretti
      01-14-2008 09:24 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by MotownSVT »
      I'm going to guess this has a lot more to do with CafePress selling the calendars (and making the profit) than it does the club itself. If the club is selling them directly to the members and using any profits to fund the club, then I'd guess all it'd take would be a quick note to Ford to get the clearance.

Nope--has nothing to do with CafePress, since, IIRC, the Jaguar club that got the same letter was having their calendars printed up by a member's print shop.

Vehicles
      01-14-2008 09:43 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Swallow Doretti »
      Nope--has nothing to do with CafePress, since, IIRC, the Jaguar club that got the same letter was having their calendars printed up by a member's print shop.

Hmmmm... OK. Didn't know for sure...

What I wonder is, did anyone contact Ford to see what type of clearance they'd need? I mean, I understand that these are all privately-owned vehicles, but the brand is still trademarked. It'd sort of be like me taking a picture of my Mustang, putting it on t-shirts and then selling them to Target... I wouldn't be profiting off of my car, but the Mustang brand. Not necessarily the same thing, but it's still along the same lines of the trademark infringement that, I'm sure, is the sticking point of this whole mess.

Scene points are kind of like bitcoins... They really carry no value outside of the internet.

Vehicles
      1984 Jetta GL. 1989 Golf GL. 1992 BMW 325I
      01-14-2008 09:48 AM #14
      ford really loves their enthusiast base.

so much that they attack them for wanting to make a damned calendar. Srsly.

Vehicles
      1990 Olds Delta 88, 1986 Pontiac Parisienne Safari
      01-14-2008 09:55 AM #15
      I would be interested to see what would happen if a case like this went to court. Remember that what is at issue here is not copyright (which clearly lies with the photographer, which in this case is not Ford) but trademark. I'm not as well-versed on trademark law as I am on copyright...would anybody who knows about this stuff care to chime in? I thought trademarks (unlike copyrighted works) needed to be registered. Can you really register the whole design of a car as a trademark?

-Andrew L

"The whole economy is hinged on potholes." --Ray Magliozzi
      Hubcap Business and Pontiac Project, both on hold while I finish The House | Philly/NJ highways blog Windshield Time

Vehicles
      2006 Ford Mustang GT, 2002 Beetle GLS 1.8T, 2012 Fiat Pop
      01-14-2008 10:02 AM #16
      Wow. lame.

near the Gandy, Frankland and Sunshine Skyway
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      01-14-2008 10:11 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by MotownSVT »
      I'm going to guess this has a lot more to do with CafePress selling the calendars (and making the profit) than it does the club itself.

It probably cost Ford more to have an attorney send the letter than CafePress would make on selling a few calendars.

I guess I will have to close my eyes every time I drive by a Ford.

18. 01-14-2008 10:15 AM #18
      They stop this small time "dilution" of their brand, which actually is more like free advertising.

While at the same time whore the Ford/Mustang brands for K.I.T.T. in the new Knight Rider.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI
      01-14-2008 10:15 AM #19
      This is all pretty sketchy.

The Mustang club I belong to (Emerald Coast Regional Mustang Club of America) used CafePress to print our calander that we sell to members and at events. We use the proceeds to help the non-profits that we support.

We've done this for the last several years. We have the permission of the MCA (Mustang Club of America), and through the Ford marketting department.

Not never, not once have we had anyone give the yearly project anything less than their blessing. Hell, we sell the things at three local Ford dealerships.

Something isn't right.

Vehicles
      01-14-2008 10:23 AM #20
      Quote, originally posted by intercedeGLI »

We've done this for the last several years. We have the permission of the MCA (Mustang Club of America), and through the Ford marketting department.

Not never, not once have we had anyone give the yearly project anything less than their blessing. Hell, we sell the things at three local Ford dealerships.

Right there is what I'm guessing is the difference. MCA and the marketing department signs off on it. Is there one of these things

on the calendars at all (probably on the back)?

21. 01-14-2008 10:59 AM #21
      Ford sucks.

They can't wait to spend millions for product placement in crap like I Am Legend and the new Knight Rider, and yet they can't wait to screw over their most loyal, most passionate customer base.

Keep up the GREAT work, guys!

Vehicles
      '12 JKU Rubicon
      01-14-2008 11:03 AM #22
      Very dumb

There is a Mk4 fourm calendar for 2008, I dont think anyones worried about VW intervening

23. 01-14-2008 11:05 AM #23
      It just blows me away that at a time when most companies have finally realized the incredible value of viral marketing, Ford is out there actively trying to STOP viral marketing from happening.

24. 01-14-2008 01:56 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by vrDUCKin »
      Very dumb

There is a Mk4 fourm calendar for 2008, I dont think anyones worried about VW intervening

Ask VW parts suppliers what they think of VW. VW hates their fans, too...

25. Member
      Vehicles
      Euro Ford junk collection
      01-14-2008 02:29 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by vrDUCKin »
      Very dumb

Might want to watch what you roll your eyes at:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3627986

I'll bet Cafepress got in trouble for printing copyrighted/trademarked materials, and they're cracking down now.

26. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2012 SuperBeetle, 2012 Jetta GLI, Ducati Multistrada 1200, Triumph Bonneville
      01-14-2008 03:05 PM #26
      Ironically I'm in the Ford booth at the Detroit Auto Show and asked one of the PR people about this and he said they "made it right" this morning and it won't be a problem for the club.

As an aside, I know that some of the manufacturers are using "bounty" law firms that look for this stuff and if they can find it they can get a piece of the settlement or a bounty from the manufacturer. I don't know why manufacturers would want to risk a PR disaster using these firms.

Anyway, sounds like Ford took care of this situation.

-jamie

Vehicles
      2each'78s,81S,TTQ,S2 8V, race Corvette
      01-14-2008 03:09 PM #27
      Yup...they don't yet realise that every 14 year old who buys the calendar... eventually turns into a potential buyer.

GM did the same thing with licensing...way overboard!

The feeling of immortality extends right up until the moment of impact.
      I cannot teach you how to be a Zen mechanic, grasshopper.
      The VW Scirocco, the worlds fastest ECONOMY car.

28. Banned
      01-14-2008 03:12 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by jamie@vwvortex »
      Ironically I'm in the Ford booth at the Detroit Auto Show and asked one of the PR people about this and he said they "made it right" this morning and it won't be a problem for the club.

As an aside, I know that some of the manufacturers are using "bounty" law firms that look for this stuff and if they can find it they can get a piece of the settlement or a bounty from the manufacturer. I don't know why manufacturers would want to risk a PR disaster using these firms.

Anyway, sounds like Ford took care of this situation.

-jamie

Good to hear

Vehicles
      Mothers. It's not just a wax anymore.
      01-14-2008 03:13 PM #29
      Racial discrimination, anyone?

30. 01-14-2008 03:18 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by ROCK AND ROLL CHEVY »
      Racial discrimination, anyone?

Am I the only one that thought it was a club of people with black Mustangs?

Vehicles
      SVO
      01-14-2008 03:27 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by Ben010783 »

Am I the only one that thought it was a club of people with black Mustangs?

It's not?

JSW TDI, Mustang SVO, et al.

Vehicles
      Mothers. It's not just a wax anymore.
      01-14-2008 03:31 PM #32
      Quote, originally posted by Art Vandelay »

It's not?

Actually, it is

Vehicles
      2006 Volvo V50, 1993 RX-7 R1, 1980 Hatteras 53MY, 2002 Grady White Release 283, 1958 Mohawk 14
      01-15-2008 09:42 AM #33
      Yet another sign that Ford is a looser company going down in flames...attacking it's loyal customer base is jsut bad business. Old fashioned thinking, by an old fashioned company, one that much like the dinasaurs is dying off...and rightfully so. The ONLY appealing thing Ford has going for it is the Microsoft Sync thing, and that'snot enough to save them. They are in the throws of death, and deserve all the ba that is coming their way.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      Euro Ford junk collection
      01-15-2008 11:07 AM #34
      Quote, originally posted by StormChaser »
      Yet another sign that Ford is a looser company going down in flames...YADA....YADA...YADA... and that'snot enough to save them. They are in the throws of death, and deserve all the ba that is coming their way.

This isn't Chrysler we're talking about... Ford's not going anywhere. I agree this is going to upset a few customers... but it's not going to drive them out of business.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI
      01-16-2008 08:37 AM #35
      Update.

Ford had an issue with the use of the Ford logo being attached to a product that they didn't endorse. It had *nothing* to do with the Mustang and the picture the owners took.

And no, our yearly calander doesn't have a Ford licensed logo. But we don't use the blue-oval in it, either.

My name is Whitney Drake and I work in Ford Communications.
      We've been watching this discussion with interest and I'd like to
      clarify what is essentially a misunderstanding.

Yesterday we spoke to both Cafe Press and the Black Mustang Club
      and explained the situation (about the Black Mustang Club’s calendar) to everyone's satisfaction. Ford has no problem with Mustang or other car owners taking pictures of their vehicles for use in club materials like calendars. What we do have an issue with are individuals using Ford’s logo and other trademarks for products they intend to sell. Understandably, we have to take the protection of our brands and licensing very seriously.

Ford did not send the Black Mustang Club a “cease and desist” letter telling them that they could not use images of their own cars in their calendar. The decision not to allow the calendars to be printed was made by Cafe Press, because we had gotten in touch with them in the past about trademark infringements on products they sold.

The Black Mustang Club, and any other Ford enthusiast club, are free to take pictures of their own vehicles for use in calendars or other materials as long as they don't use Ford trademarks in products that will be sold.

I think it is great that the Black Mustang Club, and any other enthusiast club, would take pictures of their own vehicles for use in calendars or other materials.

I'm looking forward to purchasing a copy to hang in the garage next
      to my Mustang (even if mine isn't black).

Thanks for giving us the chance to have our say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast