Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2002 1.8t problem history

1. 01-20-2008 03:24 PM #1
      We have a 2002 Jetta that developed a number of issues at 57K miles. I thought I'd review the history to see if it might help someone else with the same problems.

It started with poor idle and stalling, once it died on the interstate, in traffic.
      I got a cable and started looking at the diags and found:
      Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
      Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean
      and multiple misfires on all cyls.

I cleaned the MAF and it ran a little better. I let the daughter take the car.

Car still had poor idle. Checked coil packs and found broken wires. Tried to tape and seal wires but still had misfire and poor idle.

Changed temp sensor since it was a $25 parts. No joy there.

Ordered new coil packs, bought the Hitachi ones and installed them. Car still the same. Added new plugs as well, used NGRs.

Cleaned the throttle body. Idle stabliized when warm. ran pretty good at this point. CEL still came on. Getting Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean and multiple misfires.

Changed O2 sensor, and the`Bank 1 System too lean' error code is no longer.

Also, at this point, I pulled the wiring harness for the coil packs apart, slipped two layers of heat shrink over the broken leads and sealed the whole harness back up. Still have multiple misfires. I'm sure this isn't the problem. I used heatshrink the whole length of the wires because I was concerned with further cracking. Also used tape, of course.

So, I feel I should have cleaned the TB and MAF first, changed the plugs and gone from there. These were the cheapest things to do and resulted in some good results. Then I'd have done the temp sensor then O2 sensor. I would have finished with the coil packs.

I now just have multiple misfires on all cyls and a CEL. I thinking of looking at TSB 0106-26 that deals with misfire on 1.8t engines.

Since I no longer have the fuel trim: system too lean error, I'm thinking I do not have a vac leak.

An other ideas?

Thanks.

Modified by 2002JettaMike at 2:24 PM 4-20-2008

Modified by 2002JettaMike at 2:27 PM 4-20-2008

2. 01-20-2008 03:26 PM #2
      Sorry, I forgot to add that I replaced the MAF soon after the cleaning of it. while driving improved, the MAF still threw a signal too low error.

So it was replaced.

Thanks

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      01-20-2008 03:32 PM #3
      after cleaning the throttle body, did you ever run adaptation? (Block 60)

4. 01-20-2008 03:42 PM #4
      Yup, sorry I forgot to mention it.

Thanks.

Vehicles
      01/jetta
      01-20-2008 06:12 PM #5
      hi ecstuning is selling the replacement coil pack harness also they give u hints the vaccum lines that will show you leaks
      http://www.ecstuning.com/stage...ngine

Modified by 1.8tkiller at 3:16 PM 1-20-2008

Modified by 1.8tkiller at 3:16 PM 1-20-2008

6. 01-20-2008 06:32 PM #6
      Thanks but I just changed the coil packs and I'm not getting any fuel mix error codes.

I would think a vac leak would lead to a lean or rich fuel error code.

Am I wrong here?

Thanks.

Vehicles
      01/jetta
      01-20-2008 06:46 PM #7
      All cylinders misfiring may be the secondary ignition coil or a Air fuel problem. The battery being discharged can also cause this fault

8. 01-20-2008 08:28 PM #8
      well I replaced all the coil packs at once. and plugs.

humm.. possible the cleaning of the Throttle Body damaged something?

I know the dealer just replaces these.

BTW, when i cleaned the TB it was very dirty. Lots of gunk in there.

I even saw it misfire at idle. Just sitting there, idle was ok for about a minute, then a stumble and a misfire code shows up in the vag-com. Cyl 1 misfire.

Odd.

9. 01-20-2008 08:34 PM #9
      Ok I see the coil pack harness at ECS and even the blue wire are cracked.

On mine I only noticed the brown wires cracked. Do they all crack?

If so, I may need to inspect the wiring again. I only gave the other wire a glance.

And thanks for the help.

10. 01-20-2008 08:55 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by 2002JettaMike »
      Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean
      and multiple misfires on all cyls.

had the same problem on my car, so I replaced the following hoses and also replacing the coil packs with the Hitachi 06B 905 115 E that should take care of all those issues.

Modified by quicksilver337 at 8:58 PM 1-20-2008

The Solution For 2002 - 2005 VW & Audi!
      >> Turbo Timer Companion Lite <<
      mwgtech@gmail.com

11. 01-21-2008 09:20 AM #11
      Thanks, I'll get the hoses you suggest and replace them.

Well, I'm off to the dealer...Bye Bye $$$.

12. 01-21-2008 09:27 AM #12
      Did you replace the clips and the 035-103-245G Valve as well?

What valve is that?

Thanks

13. 01-21-2008 03:31 PM #13
      well I replaced all the coil packs at once. and plugs.

humm.. possible the cleaning of the Throttle Body damaged something?

I know the dealer just replaces these.

BTW, when i cleaned the TB it was very dirty. Lots of gunk in there.

I even saw it misfire at idle. Just sitting there, idle was ok for about a minute, then a stumble and a misfire code shows up in the vag-com. Cyl 1 misfire.

Odd.

When you cleaned the TB, did you have someone step on the pedal while the key in and at "on" position. If you cleaned TB without someone on the pedal, you may have damaged the TB senor or something. Just a thought.

Also another thing to look at: Fuel injection cleaned. Autozone right now has gum out fuel injection cleaner FREE after rebate (limit 2). I bought it and used it to put it in my tank, back to back on a full tank of gas.

Also, check breather hose (the y-shaped hose). They are prone to tearing.

Modified by MarkusWolf at 12:33 PM 1-21-2008

Modified by MarkusWolf at 12:34 PM 1-21-2008

14. 01-21-2008 09:55 PM #14
      Ehh, no. I read the Vag-com instructions on how to do an alignment and it said not to touch the pedal.

Never touched the pedal after I cleaned the TB. Idle did stablize and it ran better.

Just have these misfires.

Since I saw the gunk in the TB, I decided there may be gunk in the PVC valve and related hoses so I ordered the hoses and PVC. Also the Y-shaped hose you suggested. It looked OK but I might as well be sure.

Hopefully the $500 TB is OK.

Thanks for the thoughts....

15. 01-22-2008 12:20 AM #15
      Oh, and I put some Lucas Injection cleaner in the tank yesterday.

Too early to see any results.

We're not driving the car so it won't be hurt. Waiting on the hoses.

Thanks

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      01-22-2008 09:00 AM #16
      did you remove the TB to clean it? I usually have the wife step on the pedal while I spray away or just remove it from the car. If you didn't, one side of your TB is still nasty.

You only need not touch the pedal during alignment. Also, do not force the TB open- this may damage the electric motor. That is why removal or having a helping works better here.

Lucas Upper Cylinder stuff is OK...but BG44K from a dealer works amazingly well. You can get it from a VW or I picked mine up from the Saturn dealership (closer to me). Pour it in before full tank fillup and refill when you get to half tank. It will cost you about $16 (thats what Saturn charged) a can but it is the best fuel/injector/cylinder treatment there is, bar none.

Also, just check around and inspect vacuum/PCV lines. Many can be replaced with rubber hose and a couple of angle fittings on the cheap. The vacuum hoses are known to rot from the inside out, you can get silicone tubing or the dealership sells it by the foot. Replacement is very easy. Inspect the lines going to the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

17. 01-22-2008 09:50 AM #17
      I did remove it from the car and cleaned it. The problem before the cleaning was the idle would drop to 200 and almost stall, then rev back up to 800-900. It was doing this every 5 seconds. It stopped after the cleaning and it holds idle well.

I had the misfires before the cleaning and I still have them.

It has to be a hose, there's nothing left!

Well, dirty injectors maybe...

BG44K ... I'll put it on the list to try.

Thanks

Vehicles
      08 GTI
      01-22-2008 01:18 PM #18
      Check vacuum lines. They deteriorate with oil present. Happened to me and i had a rough idle almost wanting to stall. Those tubes aren't the cheepest. I know that if that is the problem check out 20 squared they have revision hoses from eurojet that acutaully look really good to for a good price!

19. 01-22-2008 02:39 PM #19
      this might sound like a shot in the dark, but you said the car would idle and about every 5 secs it would misfire and drop down to 200 rpms. it sounds like your car isn't getting enough fuel since you said you had a lean code anyways.

check your FPR line for a vac leak, take off your fuel filter and see if thats got enough flow, i'd also check your injectors and make sure they are spraying enough fuel.

20. 01-22-2008 03:10 PM #20
      When I did the coil packs and plugs, I still didn't have the rresults I was looking for.

I changed the fuel filter about 3 days later but it reallyy didn't change anything.

I suspect something common because the misfires happen on all cyls.

I'll see if I can figure out the FPR line and check it.

Thanks

21. 01-22-2008 03:20 PM #21
      OK, I see where the FPR is.

I'll check the hose for leaks.

Thanks.

22. 01-26-2008 08:45 AM #22
      Did you replace the clips and the 035-103-245G Valve as well?

What valve is that?

Thanks

replaced the clips but reused the valve but a friend that is a lead tech for VW says just to replace it

BTW... this will take care of the "Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean" issue.
      >> on my car the multiple misfires on all cyls was due to bad coil packs, replaced them with the Hitachi brand coil packs from ECS Tuning
      ECS part #: ES#1551

[click on image to visit ECS website]

Modified by quicksilver337 at 8:52 AM 1-26-2008

mwgtech@gmail.com

23. 01-26-2008 11:20 PM #23
      Still waiting on the hoses and valve shipment.

Changed the coil packs about 2 weeks ago, Bought the same Hitachi coil packs.

I suspect a vac leak and can't wait for the hoses. They arrive Monday.

Drove the car for awhile and seems to be improving, less misfires when warm. I'm hoping the injector cleaner is working.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts.

24. 01-27-2008 08:59 PM #24

Hi Everyone,

This has been a great thread and it looks like its very current. Mind if I toss in a question here?

My Jetta is not a 1.8T, but just the 2.0L 'AEG' engine on a late '99 Jetta -- with the 2000 'new body'.

Read all the great posts here after my car did a fairly similar sounding stall/die in the middle of RUSH HOUR traffic in the heart of the city on Thursday. WOW, I was REAL popular with the natives for a good 20 mins there as I nursed the car towards a parking space on the side of the street.

Traffic was slow -- rush hour? -- so the car was at a low RPM, to begin with, and it just quietly 'shut down' without warning. Then had no luck getting it to start up for maybe 5 mins. Sat there until, after a prayer and the 5th or 6th re-try, it started up.

There were several deaths before I actually got to the side of the road.. Each time, seemed to be if I left the RPMs drop too far.

Juuust previous to this -- I admit! -- the CEL had come on; but I didnt have a chance to look into it before the work week got going.

So, since then, the cars been taken -- towed, for safety's sake -- to a dealership and given their $200 'diagnosis'.. Mind you, I have the same engine code tester at home that it seems they used at the shop...I was hoping for a better diagnosis on their part..

They quoted me about $1400 in 'repair items' -- HAH! -- but, out of all of them, the only two that sounded meaningful were the MAS and the cords.

I took my Jetta home and did the MAS replacement myself -- got the part from Kragen's for just under $100 and did the replacement in 15 mins (!) vs paying the dealer the $500 for the MAS that they quoted.

Sadly, it turns out, the MAS hasnt changed the situation.. Cords may be next, but I have a buddy who's very knowledgable and suggests that we look into the fuel pump. My car is much older than his Jetta and, his being fairly new, already had the fuel pump go out.

In both his case and my case, we did our duties and went to the dealerships first to get their wisedom / pay their fee... But, in his case, too, they made no mention in their diag of the fuel pump and it was only after he took it home that he was able to diagnose the true cause and resolve on his own... (ie, the fuel pump failure).. His dealership wouldnt have solved it with their diagnosis and perscription.

SO, anyone here have any thoughts or previous experiences with fuel pump failures on Jettas? Its apparently an easy swap out; just go under the rear passenger seat and replace the existing unit (taking care with the exposed opening in the gas tank when you are doing it..)..

That's my next item to try here.... pricey, though, at about $300+ for the part..

Oh, btw, all the same error codes on my car that have been listed previously in this thread... We are all brothers in this.

Thanks for any inputs!!

JJ

25. 01-27-2008 10:44 PM #25
      I have a few "cheap" things I'd like you to try first.

Change the fuel filter and clean the Throttle Body using Throttle body cleaner.

Do the adaption of the TB after if this model needs it.

I found the poor idle directly related to the Tb gunk.

This might cost $25 tops and gave good results.

Good luck.

26. 01-28-2008 06:51 PM #26

Thanks so much for the note! I'll check the TB out; really appreciate the wisedom!

Did you find the issue to be intermittant at all? Or, was it pretty consistent until you got the TB all cleaned up?

Would yours idle 'ok' for a while, but then, given enough time sitting there at low RPM, just finally go dead?

So odd.

Forgot to note, to anyone interested, the car has a healthy 151,000 miles on it. Indeed, I owe so much TO the car for all the roads it's taken me down!

Thanks!
      JJ

27. 01-30-2008 04:45 AM #27

Thanks so much for the note! I'll check the TB out; really appreciate the wisedom!

Did you find the issue to be intermittant at all? Or, was it pretty consistent until you got the TB all cleaned up?

Would yours idle 'ok' for a while, but then, given enough time sitting there at low RPM, just finally go dead?

So odd.

Forgot to note, to anyone interested, the car has a healthy 151,000 miles on it. Indeed, I owe so much TO the car for all the roads it's taken me down!

Thanks!
      JJ

28. 01-30-2008 03:17 PM #28
      Once it started, it was pretty consistent, until warmed up. (I think. Hard to remember the specifics. I might be wrong about the warmed up part.)

What I remember it doing was idling about 800-850 for 6 seconds, then dropping to 200, shaking and revving back up to 1100 for 1 sec., then back down to 800-850. It would stay there for the 6 seconds or so and repeat the whole process.

I suspect that as time went on, the 6 seconds would become 5 , then 4...
      But that's a guess.

Cleaning the TB fixed this problem.

Let us know what you find.

29. 01-30-2008 11:03 PM #29
      Here's an update, the hoses came in.

The good news is I found part A60-103-221-BK split.

The bad news is I broke the fragile oil dipstick holder.

It kind of shattered. How do you change these?

Thanks.

30. 01-30-2008 11:32 PM #30
      Its an easy fix. Mines broken now also. Its like 5 bucks, there's a DIY on here somewhere.

31. 01-30-2008 11:44 PM #31
      Thanks, it looks like it's a "clean it and plug the new one in" kind of thing.

Guess I'll just wait for the part before I see if the cold Idle problem is fixed.

Also, last week I got misfires on all cyls and a "Bank 1, system too lean"

I'm sure it was the hose causing a vac leak.

I'll post the final results when I test it.

Thanks for all the help.

32. 01-31-2008 07:59 PM #32
      OK, that hose was the problem I've been chasing for awhile.

The dipstick tube was $8 at the dealer. Dropped right into place.

Car now starts well, runs when cold and idles like new.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

It's been fun.

33. 01-31-2008 08:06 PM #33
      Also, if you're doing this repair, I broke part number 06A-103-213-AF which was brittle and pretty well cooked.

I had planned on swapping it out anyways per Quicksilver337s post.

Thanks Quicksilver for that.

34. 01-31-2008 08:28 PM #34
      Just did mine this afternoon as well. Except I dropped a small piece of the old tube in the oil pan Easy fix tho.

35. 02-01-2008 04:46 PM #35
      Also, if you're doing this repair, I broke part number 06A-103-213-AF which was brittle and pretty well cooked.

I had planned on swapping it out anyways per Quicksilver337s post.

Thanks Quicksilver for that.

no problem, glad I could help...

btw were you able to resolve all the problems with your car?

mwgtech@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast