I pulled the rear carpet on it today. I knew there was going to be rust but I found a little more than expected. Not terrible overall for knowing that the liner was holding moisture. The pictures look worse than it really is. There are two spots that are going to need to be welded.
On to the pics...
So as soon as I pulled the mat and padding, I knew I was going to have a fun morning...
So there are three areas that need to be addressed. The big rectangle is just an area that is really soft. I managed to poke through the metal with a screwdriver in that areas that are solid red.
Close up of the upper right part with my key to give reference. Keep in mind that half of that hole is supposed to be there
And around the engine cover...
Since cleaning up that part didnt take all that long, and since the rear seats were already off, I went to work on that part of the pan. Here is what I found after removing the battery and seat belts:
And this is what it looks like after a somewhat thorough going over with the wire brush attachment to my drill:
All in all, it was just about what I expected. The battery tray, although obviously rusted, is solid. I took a chance and put 200lbs of sexy on it to test it out. It held up just fine.
Remove the front seats and carpet and go at it some more.
I already have the paint on anti corrosive coating stuff. Its not POR15 but I did a little bit of research and this stuff is supposed to be comparable. We'll see!
On other notes, the new ignition components came in the mail today and I have a lead on a stock 1600 to rebuild. This is great because it means that I'll be able to keep the current engine in the car all summer and take my time on the rebuild!!!
Modified by RafCarre12 at 7:43 PM 2-9-2008