Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering Column Lock for 2006 Passat

1. 09-16-2009 12:20 PM #126
      Quote, originally posted by DubberNix »
      Even if it only does it once, I would get the codes scanned. If it's this same issue, it's better to get it repaired before it starts happening more frequently.

Agreed...get in there and get a running record started. This seems to be a new common problem and VW needs to address it.

2. 10-05-2009 08:33 AM #127
      I took my Vw in to service for this same issue and my warty. expired 2 days prior to me coming in. The manager said all he could do was diagnoss it for free. then they tried to sell me an ext. war. I'm calling BBB. Houston we have a problem!!!!!!

3. 10-05-2009 11:07 AM #128
      Search the internet and find every forum that has posted this very same issue. Press print. Give to the service department. This is problem on these cars. It is not a matter of will this happen to my car...it is a 'when' will this happen on my car deal.
      Here is a thread I started with other links to other forum threads with the same problem:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4562567

Modified by avgwarhawk at 8:09 AM 10-5-2009

4. 10-07-2009 11:23 PM #129
      Quote, originally posted by briankstan »
      The error will show up when they scan the car. So they won't be coming at you saying that it isn't there. also the closer you are to the warranty expiring the better the chance you might get VW to pony up some of the cost. You've only been over the warranty for a about 6 months or so based on milage.

Modified by briankstan at 1:37 PM 9-1-2009

Last week I took mine into Chapman VW in Scottsdale. They agreed to 50/50 split on $1500 repair then the bill was only ~$500. Kudos to them.
      However, when I got home I found that the trunk would not open with key or switch in door. I needed to take it back for the second key to be reprogrammed, so I thought I could live with it for a while. Tonight I needed to refuel, so I used the fuel door release in the door - the trunk opened, but not the fuel door. I then tried the trunk release to see if would open the fuel door - no luck. So, I can't refuel and the dealer is two hours away and I don't have enough gas to get there. Is there another way to release the fuel door?

5. 10-08-2009 08:04 AM #130
      I asked my dealer would the replacement part (which I have to pay throught the nose for) would be modified, he said 'the whole steering column has all the electrics connected and it will be replaced by parts (PARTS) that will not cuase the problem'. I am taking it from this that VW have found the mega-part has to be replaced by more components to get over the problem. I will be taking this up with VW Ireland.

6. 10-08-2009 09:29 AM #131
      Quote, originally posted by gdanner »
      Last week I took mine into Chapman VW in Scottsdale. They agreed to 50/50 split on $1500 repair then the bill was only ~$500. Kudos to them.
      However, when I got home I found that the trunk would not open with key or switch in door. I needed to take it back for the second key to be reprogrammed, so I thought I could live with it for a while. Tonight I needed to refuel, so I used the fuel door release in the door - the trunk opened, but not the fuel door. I then tried the trunk release to see if would open the fuel door - no luck. So, I can't refuel and the dealer is two hours away and I don't have enough gas to get there. Is there another way to release the fuel door?

Should be a manual pull release in the trunk near were the filler neck of the tank enters the body of the car.

7. 10-08-2009 08:10 PM #132
      Great, I found the release. Thanks.

8. 10-08-2009 08:37 PM #133
      Bruce and Southpoint VW in Baton Rouge took care of me. At 52k miles it only cost $107 to fix.

9. 10-15-2009 07:05 PM #134

My '06 3.6 starting throwing this error this week. Now happens almost every day, but eventually starts.
      Would be curious if anyone can figure out exactly which part is causing the failure? Maybe somebody who gets this repair done can ask to keep the bad parts?

10. Member
      10-16-2009 01:40 PM #135
      Quote, originally posted by hoov36 »

My '06 3.6 starting throwing this error this week. Now happens almost every day, but eventually starts.
      Would be curious if anyone can figure out exactly which part is causing the failure? Maybe somebody who gets this repair done can ask to keep the bad parts?

The part numbers have been posted earlier in this thread.
      3C0-959-433-Q Contr Unit
      3C1-419-501-N Steer Col
      If you're talking about something more specific than that, I don't think it's going to be user serviceable. If you're under warranty, get it fixed asap before it leaves you stranded. If you're not under warranty, start fighting to get it covered. GL.
      Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side.

11. 10-16-2009 02:05 PM #136
      Correct, these two parts are not removable from the column. The original column is removed and a new column installed with the new updated components.
      It is a shame this happens but I think you can ask for help in the charge to repair because this is happening more frequently.

12. 10-18-2009 10:36 AM #137
      Well add one more. Steering coljmn locked, plus other gizillion problems that I had with my 2006 Passat 35k

Vehicles
      2006 Passat Sport VR6
      10-18-2009 10:48 AM #138
      Damn, this is becoming an epidemic.
      Add mine as well, 42k on the ODO. Dealer replaced and stated they are seeing 2-3 cars a week now with this problem. Seems like early B6 builds at this point.
      Almost missed my flight the other morning when I stopped for coffee and the car took 5 mins to start. Talk about sweating it...

14. 10-18-2009 11:32 AM #139
      Quote, originally posted by hoov36 »

I should have have been more specific - I meant what exactly is failing with these 2 parts. If someone can keep the old parts, I'm sure there is a common culprit - bad solder joint, bad connection, etc.
      that is failing over time. I doubt that both parts are bad - they are just following procedures.
      If mine continues to act up, I might start tearing things apart.

15. 10-26-2009 10:09 PM #140
      Found something interesting that seems to work with my steering lock problem. Put your seat belt on first, works for me for some odd reason.

16. 10-27-2009 10:21 AM #141
      bump

17. 11-06-2009 08:22 AM #142
      Eureka moment..!!
      I haven't found a cure but I know how to prevent it from happening if you have this problem. (It obviously wasn't the seat belt )
      When starting the car first push the key into the first stop, you'll notice the yellow steering wheel symbol on the dash. Wait a couple of seconds for it to turn off. Then push the key into the second stop the steering wheel symbol now turns red. Once again, wait a couple of seconds for it to turn off. Now go ahead and push the key in to start the car, it will be fine.
      If I try anything other than this sequence, the car has the steering lock problem. I have been using this for two weeks now and have not had a single problem. (Unless I tried something different.) It's important that you wait for the steering wheel symbol to clear the dash each time....

18. 11-06-2009 09:20 AM #143
      A few post back that is basically how I start mine. I see the yellow steering wheel light up. Then the red one and I hear an audible click of the locking device. After that I fully depress the key and start the car. As you said, let it work out the sequence for recognizing the key, unlocking the column and then you physically start the engine. Take your time with the sequence.

Modified by avgwarhawk at 6:22 AM 11-6-2009

19. 11-06-2009 12:45 PM #144
      I felt I was knocking my head against a wall and in exaspiration contacted The Irish Times Motoring Section regarding the problem, they in turn contacted VW in Ireland and they admitted it is a software problem for which they now have a fix. They have stated and it is printed in Wednesday November 4th that they will add this to their goodwill warranty list and for those that have already paid for the fix, they should contact VW Ireland and they will arrange to pay back 70% of all costs. Phyllis Dundalk, Ireland.

20. 11-06-2009 12:53 PM #145
      I found the link to the article that was mentioned saying VW has admitted this is a software problem and has added it to their "goodwill list" for their warranty team. http://www.irishtimes.com/news....html
      My question is, I live in the U.S. and have already went through this problem just out of warranty and had to pay a portion of the cost. Does anyone have a more official reference from VW regarding this issue so that I might be able to approach my dealership and try to recoup the money that I already paid?

21. 11-06-2009 01:07 PM #146
      Wow! That is huge! I made a copy of that news letter. If and when my goes I will present that letter to the dealer!

22. Member
      11-06-2009 01:52 PM #147
      Quote, originally posted by jthomann »
      I found the link to the article that was mentioned saying VW has admitted this is a software problem and has added it to their "goodwill list" for their warranty team. http://www.irishtimes.com/news....html
      My question is, I live in the U.S. and have already went through this problem just out of warranty and had to pay a portion of the cost. Does anyone have a more official reference from VW regarding this issue so that I might be able to approach my dealership and try to recoup the money that I already paid?

**If** they do the same for the U.S. Market, you'll get a letter and VWoA will work with you on the reimbursement. I've heard in some cases that they'll give you a voucher to use for service at a VW dealer, but the last letter I got from them (regarding seat heaters on a MkIV) sounded like they would send a check if you had already paid out of pocket. Either way, it doesn't really come out of the dealer's pocket, so the most they could do is refer you to VWoA.
      Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side.

23. 11-06-2009 05:13 PM #148
      I just got a voice mail from my service manager at VW Carolina. He said "I've spoken to VW headquarters in the US and they are not willing to extend any further good will on your car" what ever the %&#$ that means.
      I really don't think we are going to get this resolved in the US. (Just my thoughts)

Modified by andy_boon at 2:14 PM 11-6-2009

24. 11-07-2009 08:56 AM #149
      just got so annoyed with the steering column lock issue- went next door to a guy who owns a VW shop. Said it might be a software or calibration issue and to look it up on the net. my front door driver side also is locks on me which is a bigger pain than the steering column. i am going to go pull the battery and wait a bit and see if it does do the trick. if it does i will post again- thanks to you all for posting your frustrations. I am a the kind of idiot that likes to make a point and if this is an issue for class action i will get an lawyer to look into it.

Modified by P29 at 6:15 AM 11-7-2009

25. 11-10-2009 10:44 AM #150
      Quote, originally posted by andy_boon »
      Eureka moment..!!
      When starting the car first push the key into the first stop, you'll notice the yellow steering wheel symbol on the dash. Wait a couple of seconds for it to turn off. Then push the key into the second stop the steering wheel symbol now turns red. Once again, wait a couple of seconds for it to turn off. Now go ahead and push the key in to start the car, it will be fine.

This sequence has been working for me for the last few days. Lets hope it lasts......

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast