Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Steering Column Lock for 2006 Passat

1. 03-05-2010 01:46 PM #176
      I am experiencing the same problem... I am following the sequence that was adviced up here and seems to work for now.

I took me 5-6 trys this morning to start the car(Passat 2006).

I hope is a software problem only!!

Vehicles
      13 CC Sport
      03-22-2010 07:08 PM #177
      Hey Everyone,

I have 89k miles on my car so far.. I have had this problem for around a year, I got the car with 48k on it. I have been using the procedure and that has been working, it seems to come up about once a month maybe less. I know the owner of the dealer down hear I wonder what he can do for me since I have purchased 2 cars from him and refered a ton of people.

Vehicles
      13 CC Sport
      03-22-2010 08:35 PM #178
      Good News!

I talked to VWOA, called on the phone, I have not had any other bad issues with my passat and I have not taken it in for service etc... this is my first run with them about anything.
      I talked to the rep niceley told her that I was a big advocate for VW and that I was the guy that frequents the net and would tell friends about my experience, she told me that vw does not consider the internet a resource... she also looked into the campaigns recalls etc, of course none exist. She actually asked me what I expected from VW, I told her that I at least expect some help with the repair if not full coverage. She said that she would look into this, put me on hold for about 3 mins then cam back and told me that I was a valued customer, and that VW would help me if it was indeed a manf defect, I the preceded to ask what their def was of defect. She gave me the typical answer. All they require is that I take it in for a diag and they would do the rest after the car was in the shop. She gave me a case number and that was it.. so I called the dealer and asked them about the diag... 97 bucks they also said if they cant find the fault then I get charged...

My question is, does the vag com logg these errors? if not do I have to tow my car to them when it f&^*s up? or would a pic of the error suffice? It makes me nervous because if this is intermittin and doesnt get logged Im gonna be out some huge money... I considered taking this to the local media depending on the outcome good or bad....

btw I have 89k on my car.

What dealers have you guys taken this to and had good luck?

Modified by farfromhome63 at 6:06 PM 3-22-2010

4. Member
      03-23-2010 03:40 AM #179
      Vag logs the errors. I'm sure they're posted earlier in this thread somewhere. If not, I might be able to dig them up from an old scan. I scanned mine in after the first time it happened and made sure not to clear the code before I took it to the dealer. They all know about this issue by now. It's that common.

Also, the local media won't care about your car problems. Unless you can match the drama of your car speeding out of control, you're not going to get anyone's attention.

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      03-24-2010 06:55 PM #180

Is this the part you all speak of that fails? ;-)

6. 03-31-2010 01:01 AM #181
      lol the right place for it too.

7. 04-04-2010 05:52 PM #182
      62,000 miles, was going to buy the lease out but after this lovely steering wheel problem i think ill pay my penalty's and turn the car back in.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      04-05-2010 03:02 PM #183
      LOL

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      04-05-2010 03:13 PM #184
      Happened to me for the first time sunday morning @ 3:30am. I'd had it happen before but I just assumed I didn't push the clutch in all the way. This time however, it took 3 tries before it would start. Luckily, I had seen this thread and tried the method mentioned earlier and it worked.

I have an 07 w/ 43k miles. I already need to take my car in for a/c, strut mounts, cd player static, squeeky belt, and peeling trim on shifter knob so this is just one thing to add to the list .

Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

10. 04-11-2010 09:11 AM #185
      Yesterday when leaving grocery I noticed my steering wheel button blinking and steering column workshop message. Car is an 06 2.0 w/ 60,000 on it but I'm cpo for over a year and another 14,000miles so will call dealer on Monday. Love the car but glad I'm getting all the problem areas dealt w. AC compressor fixed last summer, bubbling buttons all fixed, coils replaced and now my steering column. Hope we are all clear before the cpo runs out

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06 Passat 3.6 sedan
      04-18-2010 01:57 AM #186
      My 06 with 51000 miles starts and then stalls but no error message comes up. Is this also related to the steering column problem? It will sometimes starts and other times continue to start and stall out in a second or two. I can hear the column unlock with the key goes in. Just wondering if I need to investigate another problem that is causing this besides the common steering column lock issue. thanks

12. 04-21-2010 07:27 PM #187
      Quote, originally posted by farfromhome63 »
      Hey Everyone,

I have 89k miles on my car so far.. I have had this problem for around a year, I got the car with 48k on it. I have been using the procedure and that has been working, it seems to come up about once a month maybe less. I know the owner of the dealer down hear I wonder what he can do for me since I have purchased 2 cars from him and refered a ton of people.

Good News!

I talked to VWOA, called on the phone, I have not had any other bad issues with my passat and I have not taken it in for service etc... this is my first run with them about anything.
      I talked to the rep niceley told her that I was a big advocate for VW and that I was the guy that frequents the net and would tell friends about my experience, she told me that vw does not consider the internet a resource... she also looked into the campaigns recalls etc, of course none exist. She actually asked me what I expected from VW, I told her that I at least expect some help with the repair if not full coverage. She said that she would look into this, put me on hold for about 3 mins then cam back and told me that I was a valued customer, and that VW would help me if it was indeed a manf defect, I the preceded to ask what their def was of defect. She gave me the typical answer. All they require is that I take it in for a diag and they would do the rest after the car was in the shop. She gave me a case number and that was it.. so I called the dealer and asked them about the diag... 97 bucks they also said if they cant find the fault then I get charged...

My question is, does the vag com logg these errors? if not do I have to tow my car to them when it f&^*s up? or would a pic of the error suffice? It makes me nervous because if this is intermittin and doesnt get logged Im gonna be out some huge money... I considered taking this to the local media depending on the outcome good or bad....

btw I have 89k on my car.

What dealers have you guys taken this to and had good luck?

Modified by farfromhome63 at 6:06 PM 3-22-2010

In the end... DID VW take care of the cost???

I bought mine with 52K miles 5 months ago... I now have 82K miles

they said sinilar to me: Go to VW Dealer and have them Diagnose, but then they will see IF they can help me with the cost. i don't want to know IF they can help... i want a "yes" or "no". My dealer charges $105.00 per hour to Diagnose and say that in MOST Cases thet can diagnose in that 1 hour, but don't guarantee it (it may cost more... and they Bill in intervals of 30 minutes after the 1st FULL hour). BS!!! If you ask me.

PLEASSE... IF WE ALL MAKE OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS THEY MAY CONSIDER A RECALL... TELL YOUR FRINEDS TO MAKE COMPLAINTS (EVEN IF THEY HAVE NO PROBLEM)... JUST CALL VW CORP 1-800-822-8987 OR 1-800-476-2975.

Also GO TO:
      http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
      to make Complaint... If the US Dept of Transportation get enough Complaints they will FORCE VW to make a RECALL

and GO TO:
      http://www.myvwlemon.com/ubb/F....html
      and EMAIL ALL VW Contacts until we get an answer!!!

13. 04-22-2010 03:37 PM #188
      This is not only in the 2006 passats. i have a 2008 2.0T Passat and have had this trouble since January. Took it in then for the revving up and shutting off issue and they charged me 107.00 to tell me nothing was wrong. Three weeks ago, I finally got the error message (49,976 miles on it at the time). Made the appointment for after the weekend, they said go ahead and drive it until my appointment. Took it over, they gave me a loaner.. a week later, finally fixed because they had to call VW to get the approval because I was now 56 miles out of warranty. Got it home, drove it for a while, noticed the key fob no longer worked and my gas tank button opened my trunk. Took it back to them for additional programming. (all they did was replaced the CCM, not the steering column)... Picked it up Tuesday after work, and yesterday (wednesday) it wouldn't start. Now they are telling me they won't give me a loaner to fix the problem that should have been fixed the first time because I didn't buy the car there and told me that again they would have to check with VW to see if they would cover the part. I'm getting really sick of dealing with this. I'm also 7.5 months pregnant, so I need a car that starts everytime I put the key in it. Should they have replaced the steering column also?

14. Member
      04-22-2010 03:54 PM #189
      Quote, originally posted by joy22kar »
      Got it home, drove it for a while, noticed the key fob no longer worked and my gas tank button opened my trunk. Took it back to them for additional programming. (all they did was replaced the CCM, not the steering column)... Picked it up Tuesday after work, and yesterday (wednesday) it wouldn't start. Now they are telling me they won't give me a loaner to fix the problem that should have been fixed the first time because I didn't buy the car there and told me that again they would have to check with VW to see if they would cover the part. I'm getting really sick of dealing with this. I'm also 7.5 months pregnant, so I need a car that starts everytime I put the key in it. Should they have replaced the steering column also?

That dealership sucks. Yes, they should've replaced the steering column and the CCM at the same time.

Vehicles
      13 CC Sport
      04-23-2010 12:00 AM #190
      I havent taken the risk to have them diagnose it. Im kinda waiting for it to break so that it doesnt need diag for them to see that its broken. I dont have the money to waste on it if the problem is only an annoyance, I always get it to start without much trouble.....

16. Member
      04-23-2010 01:45 PM #191
      I havent taken the risk to have them diagnose it. Im kinda waiting for it to break so that it doesnt need diag for them to see that its broken. I dont have the money to waste on it if the problem is only an annoyance, I always get it to start without much trouble.....

They'll need to diagnose it either way. Have someone with a VAG scan it. If there are codes stored in memory showing an intermittant failure, that should be enough to convince them both parts need replacement. I took mine in the very first time it failed.

17. 04-28-2010 01:07 PM #192
      New to forum. I signed up just to spread my reults for this issue. I originally had the following issues: Steering column lock, immobilizer active and the air bag light came on when I was at a stand still. I have a 2006 3.6 Passat w/about 50,000 miles, out of warranty.

I had read all of the forums on the internet and went in to the dealership prepared to battle.

The dealership agreed to run the diagnostic test for $62.50, maybe since I told them exactly what the outcome would be, the steering column would need to be replaced.

They had then told me that it would be about $1,600 to replace the steering column and a module within it. I told them not to touch my car and headed to the dealership. After a 15 minute arguement I told them that I thought this was a safety issue, this should be a recall and if they didn't fix it I would start a class action law suite since I thought that I could pull in enough people since the problem is so prevalent on the internet. I even threatned to go to the local news station to make them aware of yet another serious safety issue with an automobile, this time VW.

The service person finally said that he agreed VW should do something and that he would call them himself and see if they would be willing to take care of a portion of the bill. I told him I will not be satisfied within anything other than 100% of the bill being paid. I took my car and left.

He called me two days later and told me that VW agreed to fix the car for free and that he would provide a loaner to me at no cost. They even refunded the $62.50 for the original test.

It has been a few days since the repair and I haven't had any issues at all.

If anyone has specific questions please feel free to ask me.

I will close this account soon since my VW is up for sale.

Modified by dmhicks001 at 10:09 AM 4-28-2010

18. 04-28-2010 08:07 PM #193
      I am currently considering buying this 07 passat 2.0T wagon. I need the space, love the fuel economy but dislike all this negative feedback.

seems like there are 4 big problems,

the steering fault
      the A/C compressor failure
      the Ignition coil failure
      the rear hatch lock failure

I am only looking to spend between 8-13k. Seems to me that if I can find a passat that has had all these major problems repaired, then it might be a wise decision to get one. Otherwise, it might be better to look into the other wagons

2004-2005 Audi A4 wagon
      2004 Volvo V40 or V70

I have had vw's since I've had my driver's license, and I am used to working on the mk2 and mk3 models. These faults listed above seem to be outside my realm.

What do you guys think? good logic? or just get the A4?

19. Member
      04-29-2010 02:22 PM #194
      The A4 isn't going to cost you any less in repairs/maintenance. Not sure about the Volvo.

I would just buy the Passat and a Real Driver Platinum Extended warranty for however long you plan on keeping it.

20. 05-07-2010 08:13 PM #195
      Quote Originally Posted by avgwarhawk View Post
      Quote, originally posted by hoov36 »

This sequence has been working for me for the last few days. Lets hope it lasts......

It is almost as if you need the two pieces (key and module) to communicate for a second or so. This is how I start my car and I have no issues. It was kind of ingrained in me from day one because I was uncertian of the big klunky FOB key. So from day one I ran thorough this sequence to good effect thus far. Do I suspect this is answer..not sure. It is worth a shot.

80 K on my car all I got the stalling issue, happening regularly, no message or codes, then I finally got the "steering lock" message. The two step key insert has been working for me as well for about a week with no problem. I forgot to do it once and the stalling came back. I agree with yourself and andy_boon, it seems like some sort of communications issue between the key and the computer.

push key to first stop > wait for yellow steering wheel light to go out > push key to next stop > wait for red steering wheel light to go out > start er up

I'm hoping this isn't a false solution. It is unnerving even if this solves my problem, VW ought to step up. Has anyone else tried this solution? With success?
      Last edited by FPF; 05-07-2010 at 08:19 PM.

21. 05-19-2010 02:34 PM #196
      I have a 08 passat and for about a year now I have had a “steering column lock defective” problem. I would have wrote on this forum a long time ago but when it started happening my warranty was already expired and it was not as severe, now it can take me anywhere from 5-15 minutes just to start my car and when I do get it started my car sometimes completely shuts off while I’m driving. I don’t understand if so many people are having this problem why there hasn’t been a recall? So I guess my question is, does anyone else’s car shut off on them while they were driving or is that just another problem I have separate from the steering column lock defective?

22. 05-19-2010 02:37 PM #197
      As I understand it VW will replace just the CC module or reprogram The entire column apparently is not replaced anymore. The cost is greatly reduced.

Look here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...g-column-issue!!!
      Last edited by avgwarhawk; 05-19-2010 at 02:40 PM.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      05-20-2010 07:31 PM #198
      Quote Originally Posted by avgwarhawk View Post
      As I understand it VW will replace just the CC module or reprogram The entire column apparently is not replaced anymore. The cost is greatly reduced.

Look here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...g-column-issue!!!
      You are correct. I work at a VW dealership and they are doing this to my car right. The funny part is that three of the anti-tamper? bolts are on back order. Its been week and half so far waiting for them. The repair uses like 5 bolts.

24. 06-07-2010 03:50 PM #199
      Looks like this problem it's not as expensive as it has been before :
      http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.p...&st=0&p=449302

Mine just went nuts today.

I will ask the dealer for the Defective part and check what the heck is wrong with it myself... just need to have it unbolted.

Vehicles
      2012 Touareg TDI, now with 12,000 km!
      06-07-2010 07:26 PM #200
      had mine replaced too last month. Is VW providing warranty coverage on this? I dont think that even though I have nearly 190,000 km and have owned the car for 52 months (and obviously out of warranty) that this is a fix I should have to pay for. I dont think this is a wear and tear issue either... anybody know anything about a VW recall or goodwill action?
      Now: 12 Touareg TDI, already 12,000 km!
      previous: 07 Passat wagon 2.0T .... 275,000 km!
      previous: 04 Passat wagon 1.8T
      previous: 02 GTI 1.8T
      previous: 96 Golf 2dr

26. 06-08-2010 08:05 AM #201
      Quote Originally Posted by farmwagon07 View Post
      had mine replaced too last month. Is VW providing warranty coverage on this? I dont think that even though I have nearly 190,000 km and have owned the car for 52 months (and obviously out of warranty) that this is a fix I should have to pay for. I dont think this is a wear and tear issue either... anybody know anything about a VW recall or goodwill action?
      Did you had to pay for all the components ? (steering column , ESL unit , comfort unit ) or only for the replacement of the ESL ?

As you can see from the link I posted , in UK , you only need to pay for the ESL plus a few bolts.

Vehicles
      2012 Touareg TDI, now with 12,000 km!
      06-10-2010 07:50 PM #202
      thanks Jaxone,

Just the comfort module (?), so not too bad plus a "clockspring" for the driver airbag fault (plus labour of course)

I usually just spend my $$ on tires and oil changes!

I have a great dealer, so no problems with them. Guess I will contact VW.
      Now: 12 Touareg TDI, already 12,000 km!
      previous: 07 Passat wagon 2.0T .... 275,000 km!
      previous: 04 Passat wagon 1.8T
      previous: 02 GTI 1.8T
      previous: 96 Golf 2dr

28. 06-18-2010 05:37 AM #203
      Does this finally mean that Volkswagen has got the software fix for this design fault (see post copied below) and if so why is it not yet available to all main dealers.

I have worked out from experimenting with seven of eleven early Passats all suffering same fault plus two fixed in warranty and two not gone wrong YET!

That the problem seems to be the motor in the steering lock winds just short of fully depressing the micro switch that sends the signal to the system confirming the lock has been disengaged, if switch is not fully depressed then no signal so vehicle will not start and simply trying dozens of times tends to do the trick because eventually the motor winds on far enough to activate the switch.
      I do think Volkswagens lack of honour regarding sorting this minor fault causing major hassle just unbelievable and they deserve all the bad publicity possible. Melvyn.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...258021839.html
      The Irish Times - Wednesday, November 4, 2009
      MICHAEL McALEER
      HELPDESK: Answering all your motoring queries
      From P Murphy: My 2007 VW Passat has 47,000km on it, and it has been stalling recently. I took it to the garage and they tell me the steering column lock will have to be replaced (this is connected to the steering column itself, including a control module) at a cost of approximately €1,500 and it is not covered by warranty.
      I was a little upset at the cost and typed in “Passat” and “steering lock” on the web. Now I am wondering is there a defect or design fault with this, as there appear to be thousands of posts and blogs about this problem on discussion forums.
      They all seem to point to there being a problem or defect with this part. The garage insists it has never heard of the problem before.
      According to a spokesman for VW, the problem concerns software on the control unit of a limited number of the current Passat models. VW Ireland now has updated diagnostic software that can rectify the problem on affected vehicles.
      VW has added the complaint to the “goodwill list” for its warranty team. Those who believe they might have a problem or who have already paid to have the problem fixed should contact VW customer care on 01-8989700. The spokesman says a full recall has not been considered, as it is not necessarily a safety issue.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      06-19-2010 04:18 PM #204
      What they are doing is replacing the ESL module and reprogramming the CCM to allow it to adapted to new ESL module. This was not possible before the CCM reprogramming. CCM was only able to be programmed once to an ESL module. Since that was fixed there is no need to replace the steering column anymore sense VW figured out you don't need to replace it to replace the ESL module.

At the time this started happening VW did not view this as a problem so it was not seem worthy to investigate it any farther. One thing people forget is VW has DEEP pockets.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      06-21-2010 05:45 PM #205
      Sorta of an update to this all. This is a break down of the cost to fix the issue.

Parts Cost Depending on dealership
      ESL Module $60
      Misc bolts $10
      4 Hrs Labor $400

This fix should be in the neighborhood of around $500 or so.

Vehicles
      MK1 Golf, Mk2 8v, Mk2 16v, B5 passat,R.I.P MACHO Brown B6, 05 Volvo V50
      06-23-2010 11:43 AM #206
      dude,

Same thing happened to mine at around 55-60k miles. took it to the dealer and they had to replace the whole steering column. some kind of default. Costs around $1200, but luckily my car was still under warranty.....

Hopefully you still have warranty left because that's the ONLY fix

32. 06-23-2010 02:26 PM #207
      I have a 2006 3.6 4mo with only 43K and just in the past few weeks have been getting the same issue with the starting/stalling. Took it to a VW dealership and parts for steering fix are on order, luckliy still covered under warranty. Im also having an high idle (1 grand) issue but they could not diagnose that issue because no error messages come up. I know shortly I should be getting my letter for the coil recalls, so hopefully when te coils are changed that would solve the idling issue im having. Love the car but some many issues!

33. 08-04-2010 10:53 AM #208
      So I bought my 06 Passat Sport earlier this year, and was 356 miles out of my warranty when I pulled into a parking lot and could not get my car out of Drive. I could pull it back into Sport mode, but it refused to go into Neutral, Reverse or Park. I called the dealership and was told they'd "never heard of that one before". Awesome.

The only thing I could think to do was turn off the car and leave it in Drive. Then I couldn't get the key out of the ignition and had to leave my car that way until my boyfriend could get there to help me. He disconnected the linkage (at the transmission) and manually put the car in Park. We turned the car on and were able to put it into Park at the shifter as well.

So almost 2 months later and I haven't had that problem since, but the SM at VW said it would happen again. He said it sounded like the module in the column, which used to be $1500 for the entire column replacement, but said that it was happening A LOT and that VW was now replacing only the module for about $500. Have any of you had a similar issues with the car not coming out of gear and not letting go of the key???

I took my car in yesterday for an oil change (not to mention that my steering wheel controls no longer work and I have an "Airbag Fault" message). I told the guy point blank that I wasn't paying for the repair and that he needed to see if he could get it covered before I go straight to VWofA or even further to the BBB or Highway Safety Institute. He disappeared for thirty seconds and returned to say that they are replacing those modules at no cost now. Good thing I asked, or he would've gladly taken my money.

BUT the catch is that I had to agree to pay $85 for a diagnostic test in case no errors show up. They are supposed to call today with the results, so I'll post what happens. My luck, no errors appear and this car continues to fall apart... I will total that car before I let VW drain my bank account.

34. 08-04-2010 11:45 AM #209
      I had a similar situation, the key got stuck in the ignition and the steering wheel would not turn, nothing would work, not even the windows would go down...after hrs of battling, it came out, so I took it to VW dealer and was told $95 diagnostic charge of check engine light and $95 diagnostics for steering wheel..then they said if the first diagnostics covers both then only one charge which would be covered by extended warranty if is a mechanical problem...sounds to me VW has a real issue on their hands...I will make sure I contact the BBB, Traffic Safety Commission and everyone else that can help me VW has to be responsible for their crap!

35. n00b
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Passat 2.0T Wagon
      08-04-2010 04:15 PM #210
      I had the same message pop up on my 07 passat wagon 2.0t what was happening was that their was a recall on the steering wheel column assembly units. Also both my electronic keys were not being read by the computer. Long story short I had my warranted and all is going well. J would recommend taking it Tina dealer if you still have factory warranty. Good luck

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast